timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Marian Hossa is now a Penguin 

Post#1 » by timd1218 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:22 pm

Full trade:

To Pens: Hossa and Pascal Duprius
To Atlanta: Erik Christensen, Colby Armstrong, Angelo Esposito and 1st round pick in 08.

I'm glad to see Christensen go. He has a lot of skill and now he'll get a chance to center a 2nd line in Atlanta which can show off his skills. He wasn't going to get that chance here in Pittsburgh.

I'll definitely miss Colby Armstrong. He was a fan favorite.
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#2 » by sh00n » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:34 pm

Congrats guys. Even though I'm beyond pissed the Habs couldn't land him.
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
RaptorsNut
Junior

Post#3 » by RaptorsNut » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:29 pm

Lets hope all the Pens offense can make up for their lack of D.

Can't wait till Crosby is back
PopAGat
Starter
And1: 472

Post#4 » by PopAGat » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:20 am

Wow Crosby+Hossa+Malking= Beast, deadly.

Watch out for them in the playoffs.
Credits to TurboZone
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#5 » by Nolan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:40 pm

Thats alot too give up for a guy who more than likely will be a rental player. But while he's here he's going to have a big impact.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by timd1218 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:13 pm

Nolan wrote:Thats alot too give up for a guy who more than likely will be a rental player. But while he's here he's going to have a big impact.

I don't see it as that way.

Lets look at who the Pens gave up.

Colby Armstrong:
I will miss him because he was one of my favorite players on the team. Other then that, he won't be missed on the ice. He's only had one good season and that was his first year. Since then, his production has dropped and so has his play. This season, most of the games, he has looked invisible. He's a 3rd liner at most. He's been given his chance to succeed the past 2 seasons playing on a line with Sid and Geno and didn't succeed. There's plenty of players in the organization who can fill his role on the ice. And besides, he's a free agent in 09, he's welcome to come back.

Erik Christensen:
On the Penguins, he's a 3rd/4th line center. He was given the opportunity to play wing for the past 2 seasons and was unable to transition to wing. He will be wasted playing on the 3rd/4th line here in Pittsburgh. He has talent but it won't be shown here. Going to Atlanta will be a good thing for him because he'll have the opportunity to center the 2nd line and possibly even the 1st. He would never have that here in Pittsburgh. His shootout ability will be replaced by Hossa.

Angelo Esposito
He was considered a steal by the Pens at 20. But if he was, why did he fall down so much. Obviously, it was bad for him to fall that far down the draft. He's only had one great season in the juniors to think he will be good in the pros. His pre-draft year, he didn't play well at all. This season, the same can be said. He's a natural center just like Christensen who won't be centering the top 2 lines in Pittsburgh. He'd have to transition to wing and honestly, how do we know he will succeed?

The only thing I didn't like about the trade was sending the 1st round pick but you gotta give to get.

About this being a rental. I just don't see it. Ray Shero is not the type of GM to do this. He isn't going to throw away the future for a rental player. He has said this over and over again. He probably went to the ownership asking about this trade and whether the team has the money to re-sign him. The ownership probably approved of this. The team has the cap to do it. Roberts will be gone next season so that's 2.5 you save. Then Gill and Syder will be gone the following year so that's 5.0 million there. So in 2 years, the Pens free up 7.5 million dollars.

The Pens, I belive, will be looking to trade Gonchar during draft day to make up for the lost picks. Whitney and Letang are capable of taking over the top PP. Plus, the team has Goligoski, who should be playing in the NHL next season. That's 3 offensive D-Men right there. It would be a perfect time to trade him also. His stock his high and he is a bargain at 5 million a year. By trading Gonchar, you save 5 million more to the cap.

As of right now, Fleury will make no more than 4 million a season. Malone should get Trent Hunter type money which was 5 years/10 million. Maybe 4 years/12-14 million. Depending on what Staal does next season, he's not looking to get a big raise.

Marian Hossa doesn't need to be signed to a 6 year contract. He can be signed to a 3 year deal and the Pens would still be able to sign Malkin, Fleury, Malone and Staal and still be at the top of the league. The team has plenty of prospects in the system that can make a small amount in the future but contribute to the team in great ways.

Great trade by the Pens. Can't wait until Thursday to see Hossa, Dupruis and Gill suit up.
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by timd1218 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:17 pm

Marian Hossa on local radio:

"I don't think about an extension. Tomorrow is my first game, that's my main focus. If the chemistry goes well, we can talk about the contract later".

"I played in Ottawa. The pressure was high. It was fun, it's a similar city to Pittsburgh."

"What a jump in the standings I just made".

"I like the talent on this team. It's a give and go game. That's what I like to play".

"I want to win. Im glad I arrived here because the locker room is full of these guys. Looking forward to it. That's why they play the game. To win".

"My playoff performance hasn't been the greatest so far. I had one good run. Most of the time we lost 4 straight. They werent my best performances but neither were the team performances".

"Pascal is a great two way player. Hes explosive, strong speed, good shoot, he can kill penalties really well".

"The guys welcomed me really nice. Really professional".

"I wasnt the tallest guy on a line for the first time today. I felt really comfortable with them".

"Malone is going to open up space. He gives you the puck right on the tape."

"I feel comfortable with my size. I don't mind battling in the corners".

Sounds like a good guy and sounds like he will fit on the Pens.

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins