ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Cavs @ Nets || Tuesday 3/21/23 || 7:30 PM

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Re: GT: Cavs @ Nets || Tuesday 3/21/23 || 7:30 PM 

Post#41 » by gigantes » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:03 pm

sashaturiaf wrote:Instead of recognising that and setting us up for the future, we decided to cave into our owners ego and make this ill advised run to win

What 'ill-advised run to win?'

We got pretty much the best we could for two chronic grousers, and now the team is more or less restocked with draft picks, and has solid assets to flip and/or build around in the offseason.

Compare that to the absolute void of talent & future picks Marks started with, and it's a win. Too bad putting off a proper rebuild for a chance to win a title didn't actually achieve a title, but them's the breaks.

I find the criticism of Tsai here downright comical at times.
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,392

Post#42 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:04 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
ArksNetsSince99 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:This roster is garbage.

I don’t think roster is as bad as results and blowouts

I know you want Vaughn fired, but honestly the team just isn't good. Bridges is a nice player but he can't carry you to wins alone.

Compare this roster to 2019 Atkinsons Nets and tell me with a straight face that 2019 roster was better

It wasn’t, yet it was fun entertaining offense, we played everybody and every player contributed ( half this guy’s isn’t even in the league anymore )

What Vaughn doing ? He’s great at one thing , Killing player’s confidence, he does this well

He killed CamT , after three 40+ games he sit the guy and he really never saw the floor again

He killed Yuta , again benched for 20+ games ( pay attention when he is on the floor how he plays defense, top level , he was good at offense too before he end up in the dog house )

He killed Sumner , believe it or not but some best stretches this team played was with him , every time he entered our offense was unpredictable, little mayhem , again he didn’t see the floor for 30+ games

Instead of this three guys he plays Joe Harris ( zero on defense , with occasional three ,usually when we down 20+ and there is no pressure, mental midget , done player )

and Seth who I agree is good on contender when he gets hot , on current Nets team he have no business of playing , he is terrible on D and terrible on O as well , all he does is jerking shots for new contract and Vaughn is trying to help him with that , he doesn’t help the Nets , is inside dealings to help Curry get new contract, for this alone he should be fired

If overplaying Dinwiddie at the point doesn’t work for consecutive 10 games try something else , nope this guy believes in Din like he is KD Kobe or Bron , he isn’t, never was , never will , he is great 6th guy on a good team,15-20 min a night player , not 40 minutes player

Vaughn didn’t gave me any reason why I would like him to continue coaching Nets team

Maybe one , he clapping as nice as Nash did , that’s it
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 220

Post#43 » by ChuckS » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:06 pm

Marvin Martian wrote:
ArksNetsSince99 wrote:Now beginning of fourth , we down by 12 , what we do !? We insert Seth for defensive purposes

So Dinwiddle needs to play 48 mins?

Spencer has been crucified by a faction of this board for everything except the Twin Towers. Fortunately the internet media has been more balanced, and JV has been smart enough to realize that right now he is at least as valuable as any player on the team, and has rewarded him as such with major minutes.

Certainly we can suck even when he is on the floor, as evidenced by that third quarter. But I think the beginning of the second quarter was even more critical to our demise. We went from 7 points up to 4 down while he was rested. And that was not an aberration. It has happened in other games. We lost 6 more points when he was rested to start the fourth quarter, for a total of 17 for the game.

Usually when we lose the plus/minus is bad for almost everyone. But in this game our four other starters totaled -72 while Spencer was a +12. Some will just wait for what they believe is his next mistake. But I suggest we could find even more problems by so scrutinizing the play of others equally.
gigantes
Starter

Post#44 » by gigantes » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:24 pm

ChuckS wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:
ArksNetsSince99 wrote:Now beginning of fourth , we down by 12 , what we do !? We insert Seth for defensive purposes

So Dinwiddle needs to play 48 mins?

Spencer has been crucified by a faction of this board for everything except the Twin Towers. Fortunately the internet media has been more balanced, and JV has been smart enough to realize that right now he is at least as valuable as any player on the team, and has rewarded him as such with major minutes.

Certainly we can suck even when he is on the floor, as evidenced by that third quarter. But I think the beginning of the second quarter was even more critical to our demise. We went from 7 points up to 4 down while he was rested. And that was not an aberration. It has happened in other games. We lost 6 more points when he was rested to start the fourth quarter, for a total of 17 for the game.

Usually when we lose the plus/minus is bad for almost everyone. But in this game our four other starters totaled -72 while Spencer was a +12. Some will just wait for what they believe is his next mistake. But I suggest we could find even more problems by so scrutinizing the play of others equally.

I regularly get annoyed watching Spencer hold the ball too long, but I try to remember that this team has no PG and seems pretty mediocre at team passing on the whole, as the article above talked about.

Simmons could be super-useful with this particular group; too bad he's still recovering.
Actually if there's a longer recovery period (12-18mos?) than disc surgery, I'm not sure what it would be for. Even hamstrings & ligament tears don't seem to take this long.
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,405

Post#45 » by Marvin Martian » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:23 pm

Simmons is not useful at all. His passing is not quality due to his inability to suck in defenders and give teammates open looks. 5 Dinwiddle assists is better than 10 Simmons assists.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#46 » by Tha King » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:51 pm

Marvin Martian wrote:Simmons is not useful at all. His passing is not quality due to his inability to suck in defenders and give teammates open looks. 5 Dinwiddle assists is better than 10 Simmons assists.

I do think his playmaking when he was on the Sixers was overstated but this iteration of the team could use any type of playmaking right now.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#47 » by Tha King » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:07 pm

I just don't know about Cam Johnson. Besides space the floor, he doesn't really do much at a starting level. He's not a good enough defender to be 3&D and he's too inconsistent/limited on offense to be a key option (part of why the offense is struggling rn).
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,127

Post#48 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:35 pm

Tha King wrote:I just don't know about Cam Johnson. Besides space the floor, he doesn't really do much at a starting level. He's not a good enough defender to be 3&D and he's too inconsistent/limited on offense to be a key option (part of why the offense is struggling rn).

Cam, like others on this team, would be better if there was someone who could draw gravity around them. We don't have that.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,046

Post#49 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:26 am

Marvin Martian wrote:
ArksNetsSince99 wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:
This team would have been tanking with KD and Ky if Nash was coaching

You’ll get it one day when we get real HC

And what is a "real HC" going to do with this team? They can't shoot, they are too small, and don't have enough scoring. Don't know what you are expecting from this squad.

We can't make wide open 3s :lol:

Dinwiddie/DFS/Cam J are all horrific shooters.

We have no other path to win games.
ChuckS
Bench Warmer

Post#50 » by ChuckS » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:00 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:
ArksNetsSince99 wrote:
You’ll get it one day when we get real HC

And what is a "real HC" going to do with this team? They can't shoot, they are too small, and don't have enough scoring. Don't know what you are expecting from this squad.

You and MM have pointed out what I think is one of our biggest problems -- 3 point shooting.

Cam J is averaging 34%, SD 29%, and DFS 27%. But I'm not convinced they are horrific shooters in spite of the fact they are shooting horrifically. This very year with their previous teams they shot 45.5%, 40.5%, and 35.5%, respectively.

MDB pointed out that we do not have a Doncic or Booker, and that is a factor. But I'm hoping that if they are missing good attempts, and open 3s, it is a matter of having joined a new team with a different system, en masse, late in the season, and lacking the familiarity to play instinctively. This could be wishful thinking, but I will not make up my mind with such a relatively small sample size.

We may be doomed if we make the playoffs, or at least somewhat competitive. We still have no size or superstar, but this team has not given up, while facing this recent murderers row. I look forward to the experience, and if we regain that three point shooting it might be fun. In any event, if we make it, we should have a better understanding of what we have now, and need for next year.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#51 » by GTR11 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:32 am

ChuckS wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:And what is a "real HC" going to do with this team? They can't shoot, they are too small, and don't have enough scoring. Don't know what you are expecting from this squad.

You and MM have pointed out what I think is one of our biggest problems -- 3 point shooting.

Cam J is averaging 34%, SD 29%, and DFS 27%. But I'm not convinced they are horrific shooters in spite of the fact they are shooting horrifically. This very year with their previous teams they shot 45.5%, 40.5%, and 35.5%, respectively.

MDB pointed out that we do not have a Doncic or Booker, and that is a factor. But I'm hoping that if they are missing good attempts, and open 3s, it is a matter of having joined a new team with a different system, en masse, late in the season, and lacking the familiarity to play instinctively. This could be wishful thinking, but I will not make up my mind with such a relatively small sample size.

We may be doomed if we make the playoffs, or at least somewhat competitive. We still have no size or superstar, but this team has not given up, while facing this recent murderers row. I look forward to the experience, and if we regain that three point shooting it might be fun. In any event, if we make it, we should have a better understanding of what we have now, and need for next year.

We sucked with KD and Kyrie on board. What we did good is, beat up on shorthanded teams or less talented ones. Go check our record vs above 500 teams when healthy, you won't like it. Matter of fact, you won't like our record vs above 500 teams with KD and Kyrie ( Saltics games? 6's, Memphis? SacTown etc ) on court.

It's been pointed out by several posters what main issue is. Tsai giving Marks a long leash here. Giving JV extension was/is fireable mistake, maybe even worse than Steve Trash hire. At least than we knew two bafoons needed to be pleased, here WTF was he thinking?

Don't read on ND to much either. Those propaganda tools led by old man get to carried away and than defend their ego. They can't handle embarrassment for the crap they be writing at times ( reason why they not getting hired to legit gig ).

Kenny made far less developed and talented team to play organized basketball. Almost every single one of them underachieving and being tossed around like hot potato. Here we got legit role players that played in CF and Finals just last year and underachieving.

Make it make sense?
ChuckS
Bench Warmer

Post#52 » by ChuckS » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:29 am

GTR11 wrote:We sucked with KD and Kyrie on board. What we did good is, beat up on shorthanded teams or less talented ones. Go check our record vs above 500 teams when healthy, you won't like it. Matter of fact, you won't like our record vs above 500 teams with KD and Kyrie ( Saltics games? 6's, Memphis? SacTown etc ) on court.

It's been pointed out by several posters what main issue is. Tsai giving Marks a long leash here. Giving JV extension was/is fireable mistake, maybe even worse than Steve Trash hire. At least than we knew two bafoons needed to be pleased, here WTF was he thinking?

Don't read on ND to much either. Those propaganda tools led by old man get to carried away and than defend their ego. They can't handle embarrassment for the crap they be writing at times ( reason why they not getting hired to legit gig ).

Kenny made far less developed and talented team to play organized basketball. Almost every single one of them underachieving and being tossed around like hot potato. Here we got legit role players that played in CF and Finals just last year and underachieving.

Make it make sense?

You make some good points. We can't do worse than last year when we had two superstars -- unless we miss the playoffs.

Being out of town, I do read Nets Daily, Bleacher Report, and Yardbarker to get some local perspective. Sometimes they read like gossip columns though, and occasionally have very questionable sources and contributors. So I always trust my own judgement. I also subscribe to the Times, but find their Nets coverage, at least on line, kind of skimpy, but with the most journalistic integrity.

You also reminded me that we got four good players with postseason success. I felt a little better about three point shooting when I checked their stats from last year's playoffs. DFS shot 42.6% on threes, and Spencer 40.8% in 18 games. I was less worried about Mikal and Cam, the way they shot this year. But they also had a nice 39.4% and 37.3% in 13 games. I enjoy this team even with its limitations.

I like JV and think he is doing a good job. So I'm less concerned about his extension. No owner is going to be concerned about cutting a coach who is not performing. It doesn't affect the cap, and just think of the millions Tsai has paid with Simmons not playing, and before him, Harris.
gigantes
Starter

Post#53 » by gigantes » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:26 pm

Tha King wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:Simmons is not useful at all. His passing is not quality due to his inability to suck in defenders and give teammates open looks. 5 Dinwiddle assists is better than 10 Simmons assists.

I do think his playmaking when he was on the Sixers was overstated but this iteration of the team could use any type of playmaking right now.

Agree. And say what you like about Simmons, but he's excellent at moving the ball around, making plays work, and motivating teammates to hustle for easy baskets. All things we badly need right now.

Spencer is seemingly doing the best he can to replicate KI / KD, and credit to him, but it's just not enough.

Return to Brooklyn Nets