ImageImageImageImageImage

Why doesn't Nic Claxton get more minutes?

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

MaxZaslofskyJr
Rookie
And1: 671
Location: Teaneck, Long Island, Piscataway, Meadowlands, Newark, Brooklyn

Why doesn't Nic Claxton get more minutes? 

Post#1 » by MaxZaslofskyJr » Sat Apr 1, 2023 11:53 am

He's been entrenched as a starter all season yet plays less than 30 minutes per game.

He's young. Couldn't he go 33-35 or so? In theory, that would improve his contributions by 10+%. Or would it?
Les Selvage pioneered today's "modern basketball" in 1967.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,127

Re: Why doesn't Nic Claxton get more minutes? 

Post#2 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Apr 1, 2023 1:54 pm

MaxZaslofskyJr wrote:He's been entrenched as a starter all season yet plays less than 30 minutes per game.

He's young. Couldn't he go 33-35 or so? In theory, that would improve his contributions by 10+%. Or would it?

I think he still has endurance issues.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#3 » by TheNetsFan » Sat Apr 1, 2023 2:15 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
MaxZaslofskyJr wrote:He's been entrenched as a starter all season yet plays less than 30 minutes per game.

I think he still has endurance issues.

He's also foul prone.

He's played more minutes this season than his first 3 years combined. As a big who is very active, he is getting gassed.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#4 » by 3pt_chucker » Sat Apr 1, 2023 5:39 pm

He can't shoot(FTs or 3's), so there a number of games where he doesn't play as much because a JV feels a 5 out lineup just works better. Add that to conditioning and foul trouble and his mpg is lower than you think.

Clax seemed to be working on his 3s in the offseason but it seems like he's not allowed to shoot them. WOuld be nice if he starts shooting them again next season but I won't hold my breath.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#5 » by Keith Van Horn » Sat Apr 1, 2023 7:22 pm

He's definitely very foul prone and he's really the only true big we play. Maybe it's a combo of rest and measure than he doesn't get burned out? If we were to lose him for any major stretch at this point, we'd be boned big time.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,389

Post#6 » by Papi_swav » Sun Apr 2, 2023 12:06 am

I think coach is trying to give him some extra rest, he's been playing alot this whole season and giving us 110% every night. This is the first time he's played this much minutes in the NBA and he gives alot of effort. I have no problem giving him some extra minutes off.

And like the other guys mention he's not a good FT shooter so that'll limit some of the end of the game minutes and hes had games in foul trouble. And also having to go thru the changes with the team, going from Kyrie/KD to a whole new team takes a little time and energy to figure how to play with different guys. I'm very proud of Claxton on his improvements, he's definitely one of the best pieces we have on this team and a highlight on this year for sure.

Return to Brooklyn Nets