ImageImageImageImageImage

If you were Sean Marks, would you trade the house (except Bridges) for Zion this week?

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

If you were Sean Marks, would you trade the house (except Bridges) for Zion this week?

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 17

Riconet
Sophomore
And1: 128

Post#1 » by Riconet » Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:31 pm

So there is quite a bit of chatter out there about the Pelicans trading Zion this week, including Bill Simmons saying that someone he trusts believes that Zion will be traded by Thursday.

It's risky, but I would be thrilled if the Nets acquired Zion.

Zion at this point has shown himself to be fat, lazy, immature, foolish and unserious.

He also might be the best player in the NBA if he gets his act together.

It's reasonably likely that Zion's value will never be lower, and he'll never be more available, than he is right now -- although it's also reasonably likely that he puts on another 40 lbs over the summer, shows up in training camp looking like the Michelin Man and gets hurt immediately.

I think they can get him and keep Bridges, but it will cost most of their picks and other assets, including Cam J.

I also think that if they do this, they need to get rid of Simmons, either in the same trade or later this summer. One unserious guy at the top of your payroll is a problem. Two of them creates a guaranteed ****.

I don't think the Nets are going to do this, having just emerged from a 4-year nightmare inflicted by a different one-and-done, #1 overall, oft-injured, inconstant, untrustworthy, foolish Duke alum -- but I sure hope they do.

Would you pull the trigger?
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,406

Re: If you were Sean Marks, would you trade the house (except Bridges) for Zion this week? 

Post#2 » by Marvin Martian » Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:58 pm

Zion isn't lazy or unserious. These are just mainstream narratives, probably pushed from the outside to lower his trade value and fleece NOL (it's working). The fact is that everytime he has stepped on the court, he was better than before. You don't do that without putting in the work off the court.

If you want to see what lazy looks like, look no further than Ben Simmons who gets worse with every game.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,080

Re: If you were Sean Marks, would you trade the house (except Bridges) for Zion this week? 

Post#3 » by Netaman » Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:03 pm

i dont think so. i dont see him staying healthy or keeping his weight under control.

obviously it would depend on the price tag, but im assuming his price tag is higher than what's rumored for lillard.
Riconet
Sophomore

Post#4 » by Riconet » Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:27 pm

Marvin Martian wrote:Zion isn't lazy or unserious. These are just mainstream narratives, probably pushed from the outside to lower his trade value and fleece NOL (it's working). The fact is that everytime he has stepped on the court, he was better than before. You don't do that without putting in the work off the court.

If you want to see what lazy looks like, look no further than Ben Simmons who gets worse with every game.

I really like Zion, and I don't think I've been duped by narratives. I don't see how you can look at his frequent, substantial weight gains and not think he's lazy and unserious.

The NBA is filled with incredible athletes who work their butts off to be in peak physical condition, because they know that doing so will give them the best chance to compete with each other. Zion hasn't come close to doing that in his career -- not even at the beginning of last season, when he was allegedly in great shape but was still a solid 20 lbs overweight.
Marvin Martian
General Manager

Post#5 » by Marvin Martian » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:32 am

Riconet wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:Zion isn't lazy or unserious. These are just mainstream narratives, probably pushed from the outside to lower his trade value and fleece NOL (it's working). The fact is that everytime he has stepped on the court, he was better than before. You don't do that without putting in the work off the court.

I really like Zion, and I don't think I've been duped by narratives. I don't see how you can look at his frequent, substantial weight gains and not think he's lazy and unserious.

The NBA is filled with incredible athletes who work their butts off to be in peak physical condition, because they know that doing so will give them the best chance to compete with each other. Zion hasn't come close to doing that in his career -- not even at the beginning of last season, when he was allegedly in great shape but was still a solid 20 lbs overweight.

How can someone be lazy and unserious and yet average a career high 3pt % and apg after missing all of last season 2 years ago? What sense does that make?

How did he learn how to average 5 apg?
How did he learn how to shoot 36% from 3?

Did he magically just figure it out while on the floor?

Either Zion is the GOAT because he doesn't need to practice to get better, or the basketball world is getting duped by mainstream media because they want Zion out of NOL.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#6 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:26 am

We don't need Zion when we have Ben Simmons already

We good at paying high cap hit to players who don't play with questionable on court ethic. Our quota is filled!
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Marvin Martian
General Manager

Post#7 » by Marvin Martian » Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:27 am

CalamityX12 wrote:We don't need Zion when we have Ben Simmons already

We good at paying high cap hit to players who don't play with questionable on court ethic. Our quota is filled!

Claiming that a guy who averaged 26-7-5 has "questionable" on court ethic doesn't help your argument at all. It only makes a stronger case for Zion. That is a career year for all but a handful of players and yet people claim that he still doesn't care.

Again Zion must be the GOAT then. Because I cannot comprehend what his numbers would look like if he "cared"
JKiddy
Sixth Man
And1: 329

Post#8 » by JKiddy » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:59 pm

Zion needs better people around him. He needs more vets. He needs a stronger personal trainer. He needs a dedicated nutritionist who lives with him OR makes all of his meals.

He needs to get his life in order.

IF the Nets feel like this can likely happen then I am all for trading for him as long as we do not have to give the house away.

NO is fed up with him. He might be fed up with NO.

He needs to stop messing around with clout chasers and head cases. Find other women. Don't let them ruin your rep even further. He needs a great agent and management team.

I think there is a chance. I hope we don't trade Claxton away but something tells me it might happen and I do not like that.
Riconet
Sophomore

Post#9 » by Riconet » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:21 pm

Marvin Martian wrote:How can someone be lazy and unserious and yet average a career high 3pt % and apg after missing all of last season 2 years ago? What sense does that make?

How did he learn how to average 5 apg?
How did he learn how to shoot 36% from 3?

Did he magically just figure it out while on the floor?

Either Zion is the GOAT because he doesn't need to practice to get better, or the basketball world is getting duped by mainstream media because they want Zion out of NOL.

You keep citing average stats while ignoring games played. Zion put up those averages in 29 games last season. The reason he played only 29 games is that he sustained yet another "fat guy" injury -- a pulled hamstring, which ended his season on January 2. That injury also effectively ended his team's season -- they went from #3 in the West to losing in the 1st round of the play-in.

He played 29 games as a rookie, 61 in year 2, zero in year 3 and 29 in year 4. At age 22, he's getting the same fat guy injuries that James Harden started getting regularly at age 31.

There's a reason the Pelicans put weight clauses into his contract. Can you name another NBA star with that type of clause? Or for that matter another NBA player with it?

Look at him: https://youtu.be/3pHa7grsarA

The stats you cited are relevant, because they show what he's capable of, which is pretty much anything he puts his mind to. I also think that there's a decent chance that he does get his act together and becomes an unstoppable monster -- and I'd sure like for him to do so as a Net.
Riconet
Sophomore

Post#10 » by Riconet » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:22 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:We don't need Zion when we have Ben Simmons already

Totally agree -- that's why I said in the OP that if they do trade for Zion, they need to get rid of Simmons this summer.
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#11 » by GYK » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:48 pm

Yes.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#12 » by gigantes » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:25 pm

Riconet wrote:...

I also think that if they do this, they need to get rid of Simmons, either in the same trade or later this summer. One unserious guy at the top of your payroll is a problem. Two of them creates a guaranteed ****...

You people are such ridiculous weirdos, sometimes.

You really do seem to have this hard-on belief system (yes, at this point it really is a BELIEF SYSTEM), that somehow Simmons decided to publicly slack off in the most embarrassing way possible, just because... he wanted to avoid anxiety and play more video games, I guess?

Dudes-- FFS, get a grip.
Poor-shooting or not, Simmons used to be a ferocious badass when he was healthy, and is now *finally* completing his 18-month recovery, typical for people who've had his specific surgery.

Dudes-- you ever try playing against the best in your area, and in your circles, when you're messed up with an injury and can hardly do your typical stuff? It's incredibly frustrating! And, particularly from a BACK injury? Are you kidding me..?

Some of you people don't even *deserve* an NBA team, I swear.
Go follow MDB to the Knicks, if you want to be a bunch of whiney babies, unable to live in reality.

As for trading a bunch of picks for Zion?
F-CK NO.

Unlike Simmons, that dude can't even be bothered to take care of his body, even when everyone from his family, friends, team and agent are telling him that's EXACTLY what he needs to do.
Marvin Martian
General Manager

Post#13 » by Marvin Martian » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:57 pm

gigantes wrote:

I also think that if they do this, they need to get rid of Simmons, either in the same trade or later this summer. One unserious guy at the top of your payroll is a problem. Two of them creates a guaranteed ****...

You really do seem to have this hard-on belief system (yes, at this point it really is a BELIEF SYSTEM), that somehow Simmons decided to publicly slack off in the most embarrassing way possible, just because... he wanted to avoid anxiety and play more video games, I guess?

Dudes-- FFS, get a grip.
Poor-shooting or not, Simmons used to be a ferocious badass when he was healthy, and is now *finally* completing his 18-month recovery, typical for people who've had his specific surgery.

Dudes-- you ever try playing against the best in your area, and in your circles, when you're messed up with an injury and can hardly do your typical stuff? It's incredibly frustrating! And, particularly from a BACK injury? Are you kidding me..?

Go follow MDB to the Knicks, if you want to be a bunch of whiney babies, unable to live in reality.

F-CK NO.

Unlike Simmons, that dude can't even be bothered to take care of his body, even when everyone from his family, friends, team and agent are telling him that's EXACTLY what he needs to do.

There is a lot of irony in telling others to live in reality and calling Simmons a "ferocious badass" in the same post.

Simmons is washed up and has been regressing every single year since he was drafted. Zion has not.

The Nets tolerated it at first. Because we had KD and Kyrie so all he had to do was provide good defense and playmaking for 15-20 mins. Those guys are gone now and the roster construction has changed significantly.

In order for Simmons to help THIS current team, he has to be better than he ever was in his life.

Considering that this is unlikely, I would be shocked if Simmons is on the team by the end of next season
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#14 » by gigantes » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:45 am

Marvin Martian wrote:
gigantes wrote:

Dudes-- FFS, get a grip.

F-CK NO.

There is a lot of irony in telling others to live in reality and calling Simmons a "ferocious badass" in the same post.

Simmons is washed up and has been regressing every single year since he was drafted. Zion has not.

The Nets tolerated it at first. Because we had KD and Kyrie so all he had to do was provide good defense and playmaking for 15-20 mins. Those guys are gone now and the roster construction has changed significantly.

In order for Simmons to help THIS current team, he has to be better than he ever was in his life.

Considering that this is unlikely, I would be shocked if Simmons is on the team by the end of next season

OOh, lala... could it be, maybe--

possibly...

BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO FRUPPIN IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT in the FIRST PLACE?

Bonus pts for whatever nonsensical "imperative" you think the Nets are under, now.

Go ahead, genius-- what bullsh-t, critical imperative do you think our Nets are suffering from, anyway...?

No-no-no,
Go ahead-- obviously this is going to be a major TURNING point in the history of the BRK Nets.

C'mon-- let's HEAR IT, dude..?
Riconet
Sophomore

Post#15 » by Riconet » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:33 pm

gigantes wrote:You people are such ridiculous weirdos, sometimes.

Dudes-- FFS, get a grip.

F-CK NO.

JFC. How old are you? This is not how adults communicate, either online or IRL.

As for the rest of your post:

- Why do you think you are right about Simmons and Jimmy Butler, Doc Rivers, Joel Embiid and Daryl Morey are all wrong? What is it, specifically, that you know about Simmons or the NBA game that they don't?

- As between Simmons and Zion, who do you think will have a better season next year? How about the following year?

- If you think Simmons will outperform Zion next year -- do you want to bet on that, with the loser contributing, say, $20 to a charity chosen by the winner?
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#16 » by Claud » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:42 pm

Not a winning player.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,429

Post#17 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:15 am

I don't think that a boatload of future picks would entice them, the Pelicans' war chest is bigger than ours.

But IF hypthetically Zion were on the table, and NOP would take Ben and let us keep the Twins, you gotta say yes. Even if it includes Claxton, and 6 future 1sts. I'm not saying Ben is lazy or Zion is unserious, I'm not even treading in those waters. I'm simply saying I'm willing to heavily invest in trading my distressed asset for theirs.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin

Return to Brooklyn Nets