Woj - Nets sign Lonnie Walker to one year deal

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,080

Woj - Nets sign Lonnie Walker to one year deal 

Post#1 » by Netaman » Sun Jul 2, 2023 8:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Solid move. Walker was a better all around player than Bruce Brown at Miami, more talented scorer, obviously had some good moments in LA last year. good depth signing with upside.

have to think there's a big consolidation forthcoming with a bunch of guys from last year moving out.
Netaman
Analyst

Re: Woj - Nets sign Lonnie Walker to one year deal 

Post#2 » by Netaman » Sun Jul 2, 2023 8:58 pm

Walker's numbers in 32 starts averaging 30mpg last year:

14.7 ppg
.455 fg
.384 3pt
.874 ft
.578 ts%

doubt he's starting here but he's good scoring depth if they need him to start. very good athlete, developing shooter.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#3 » by Tha King » Sun Jul 2, 2023 9:06 pm

yea even if there is some trade where you have Din for Herro, that leaves you with:

Herro/Smith/Sumner
Bridges/Walker or Thomas/Whitehead
CJ/O'Neale
DFS/Simmons/Clowney
Claxton/Sharpe

If that's what you end up with I think you need to really ask what the expectations for Cam Thomas are because another season of inconsistent playing time doesn't really help anyone. Also need help at center.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#4 » by Netaman » Sun Jul 2, 2023 9:08 pm

Tha King wrote:yea even if there is some trade where you have Din for Herro that leaves you with:

Herro/Smith/Sumner
CJ/O'Neale
DFS/Simmons/Clowney
Claxton/Sharpe

If that's what you end up with I think you need to find really ask what the expectations for Cam Thomas are because another season of inconsistent playing time doesn't really help anyone. Also need help at center.

i think cam is about to be a throw in as part of a bigger deal. probably to a team part of a herro/lillard trade. or maybe swapped for a stretch 5 once the dust settles of whatever big move they are working on gets completed.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#5 » by Tha King » Sun Jul 2, 2023 9:11 pm

Netaman wrote:
Tha King wrote:yea even if there is some trade where you have Din for Herro that leaves you with:

Herro/Smith/Sumner
CJ/O'Neale
DFS/Simmons/Clowney
Claxton/Sharpe

If that's what you end up with I think you need to find really ask what the expectations for Cam Thomas are because another season of inconsistent playing time doesn't really help anyone. Also need help at center.

i think cam is about to be a throw in as part of a bigger deal. probably to a team part of a herro/lillard trade. or maybe swapped for a stretch 5 once the dust settles of whatever big move they are working on gets completed.

yea I think you're right.

I also wonder if Bamba will be a FA pick up. Could theoretically play with both Simmons and Claxton.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,458

Post#6 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jul 2, 2023 9:15 pm

I really like this signing, ngl.

Agreed, probably going to be a consolidation move soon.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#7 » by Netaman » Sun Jul 2, 2023 9:15 pm

Tha King wrote:
Netaman wrote:

Herro/Smith/Sumner
CJ/O'Neale
DFS/Simmons/Clowney
Claxton/Sharpe

yea I think you're right.

I also wonder if Bamba will be a FA pick up. Could theoretically play with both Simmons and Claxton.

bamba, plumlee, grant williams - there are a handful of interesting names still out there. just think they are probably going to wait on anyone above the minimum until after the bigger deal gets done so they know how much money they have under lux tax and what players are avail for TPEs. i really dont think the luxury tax is a big factor for them though. it's unlikely they stay under it 2 years in a row so more than likely they will always be repeaters, then it's just a question of how much they are willing to pay any given year.
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#8 » by Shark » Sun Jul 2, 2023 9:19 pm

Always been a fan of Walker, was hoping for bigger things in his career, but he's been able to mold himself into a good role player.
Born_Ready
Veteran
And1: 476

Post#9 » by Born_Ready » Sun Jul 2, 2023 9:21 pm

Big fan of this move (not just because I am a lifer FSU fan and despise the Canes) but because Walker is a bucket. Sean deserves some credit for this addition, imo. Not sure if there were other teams vying for him, but I really want Lonnie to stick with BK… don’t want to see him part of another deal that is possibly looming.
OKC Thunder fan, too.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#10 » by Netaman » Sun Jul 2, 2023 9:23 pm

Shark wrote:Always been a fan of Walker, was hoping for bigger things in his career, but he's been able to mold himself into a good role player.

he should have stayed at miami another year or maybe even 2. he and bruce brown were big recruits in back to back years but both of them would have been better served staying for another year or two. if NIL existed back then they almost definitely would have.

walker is a big time athlete and has always had a pretty good shot, just not great. pretty skilled but not special. he's a more athletic version of cam thomas and not as much of a black hole. not sure where his defense is, the metrics dont look great but he spent time in the spurs world so maybe there's some hope.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,429

Post#11 » by ecuhus1981 » Sun Jul 2, 2023 11:27 pm

Another great bargain signing, and exactly the profile of guard we've needed. Athletic slashers who can defend. Lonnie and Dennis are gonna be a disruptive bench backcourt.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,389

Post#12 » by Papi_swav » Mon Jul 3, 2023 12:06 am

Perfect signing, we needed more offense and he can score. A MIP candidate for this season
Netaman
Analyst

Post#13 » by Netaman » Mon Jul 3, 2023 12:16 am

the lakers fans seemed like they were really happy with his signing early in the year when he was playing more. those oct/nov/dec numbers are pretty legit. then obviously he had the flash in the postseason.

seems a little surprising he didn't have an option with more playing time available. considering he only got minimum gotta think the Nets are giving him a decent role next to DSJ off the bench?

cam thomas and royce seem like they are odd men out. whitehead im sure likely in g league.
JKiddy
Sixth Man
And1: 329

Post#14 » by JKiddy » Mon Jul 3, 2023 12:24 am

Netaman wrote:
Read on Twitter

Solid move. Walker was a better all around player than Bruce Brown at Miami, more talented scorer, obviously had some good moments in LA last year. good depth signing with upside.

have to think there's a big consolidation forthcoming with a bunch of guys from last year moving out.

I could not have said this better myself, and that is coming from a UM alum here.

I am all for the high quality UM products coming through. Lonnie can shoot, has size, and can score. This was a smart pick up.

Now, I am very curious to see how we are involved in a Lillard or Harden deal. I think they will be 3-5 team deals. They might even be part of an insane 5 or 6 teamer.

Let's pray we make some good moves so we can go from a fringe playoff team to a Top 4 squad in the East next season.

Return to Brooklyn Nets