Post#1 » by Paradise » Sat Jul 1, 2023 1:42 pm

Very sneaky pick up.

Read on Twitter
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Re: Shams: Nets sign Dennis Smith Jr to 1 Year Deal 

Post#2 » by TheNetsFan » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:18 pm

Great point of attack defender. Extremely athletic. Still fairly young. He's a great reclamation project.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,080

Post#3 » by Netaman » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:25 pm

wonder if this means they are dumping sumner? nice pick up but hope it doesnt mean they are locked in on dinwiddie starting.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,497

Post#4 » by Stone » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:40 pm

Well he is definitely not a scorer. The one year contract at his age is pretty much do or die, which works for both sides.

I'm not thrilled with Spencer either but what is out there?

I doubt we get rid of sumner, he is on a friendly contract.

Have to wonder where the points are going to come from?
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#5 » by CalamityX12 » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:55 pm

Not much reax from me

But could only be beneficial for us?
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#6 » by Netaman » Sat Jul 1, 2023 3:00 pm

the Charlotte thread on him from the last year is a good preview and has some good highlights in there.
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=2226748

feel pretty confident this will be a good bench signing no matter what but if he can find a way to harness his game efficiently or improve the jump shot (unlikely) there's upside. sort of reminds me of when the nets sign Gerald Green and his athleticism/energy added something from day 1. obviously he had the 3/d skill set but if DSJ can just be super efficient attacking and dishing he may not need the jumper to still be at least a playable guy on offense.

would imagine you wont see him in too many lineups with simmons + claxton but rather with the bench unit with as many shooters as possible on the floor.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#7 » by Keith Van Horn » Sun Jul 2, 2023 1:26 pm

I hope he works out in the role they have in mind for him.

I can see Vaughn ghosting his minutes by mid season thought :lol:
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,429

Post#8 » by ecuhus1981 » Sun Jul 2, 2023 1:52 pm

For all the slander we pile on Marks, we got to give him his flowers when they are due.

This is a home run signing, for the class of player, upside, fit and price. Dennis Smith Jr quietly had a really successful stint in Charlotte, and could soak up a prominent role when needed here.

Go DSJ! Go Brooklyn!
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Netaman
Analyst

Post#9 » by Netaman » Sun Jul 2, 2023 2:04 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:For all the slander we pile on Marks, we got to give him his flowers when they are due.

This is a home run signing, for the class of player, upside, fit and price. Dennis Smith Jr quietly had a really successful stint in Charlotte, and could soak up a prominent role when needed here.

Go DSJ! Go Brooklyn!

also a nice fit if they get herro or lillard since neither is strong defensively. he is a good compliment behind a starting guard who can shoot the lights out.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#10 » by Tha King » Sun Jul 2, 2023 9:23 pm

so I am actually surprised at the defense he was playing on the Hornets last season. I know it's highlights (impact stats have him ranked highly as well) but he looked incredible. The elite athleticism is still there too. This could be a relatively great pick up.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#11 » by Netaman » Mon Jul 3, 2023 12:29 am

Tha King wrote:so I am actually surprised at the defense he was playing on the Hornets last season. I know it's highlights (impact stats have him ranked highly as well) but he looked incredible. The elite athleticism is still there too. This could be a relatively great pick up.

i think this is the "no more brunson 40-spots" signing. simmons and dinwiddie have length, if oneale is back he can also guard big pretty well. they needed an athlete who can defend on ball if they are trying to count on their defense to win them games.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#12 » by Paradise » Wed Jul 5, 2023 5:22 pm

Netaman wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:For all the slander we pile on Marks, we got to give him his flowers when they are due.

Go DSJ! Go Brooklyn!

also a nice fit if they get herro or lillard since neither is strong defensively. he is a good compliment behind a starting guard who can shoot the lights out.

He started to rebuild his career as Lillard’s backup PG. Then, took a chance to go play home in Charlotte.

It would be a win-win even if we got Lillard and he’s the backup. We still have Edmond too.

Return to Brooklyn Nets