ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#101 » by gigantes » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:00 pm

If I'm reading the news correctly, there's an issue of whether the bombs were either duds or pranks.

I have no idea how this plays out, but it seems like there's a real possibility this stuff gets laughed off or shrugged off by most people across the spectrum, and maybe by the reactionaries, too. Meanwhile, hopefully the FBI is hot on the senders' trail. One could easily see it being the sh-t-stirring Russians' work.

It's always something, though. There's so many factors in play these days. Way more than ever, really.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#102 » by Prokorov » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:02 am

If those bombs were real then we have reached a new all-time low as a country.... domestic assasinations and bombings that are politically motivated... we basically are some 3rd world or war torn corrupt middle east country at that point.

whats worse is i bet like biden could have been killed and trump followers would spin it as a good thing
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,127

Post#103 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:50 am

The FBI has gone on record that the bombs were functional:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/25/politics/bombs-suspicious-packages-what-we-know/index.html

An initial examination shows they are rudimentary but functional, and have similar construction. At least one contained projectiles, including shards of glass, a law enforcement official told CNN. The bombs were unstable and could have been set off by handling, sources said.

The narrative that the bombs were duds or pranks is a right wing/alt right talking point being used to downplay the seriousness of this incident because Trump and his cult have been trying to paint everyone who is against what they're doing as a violent angry mob when in reality we are seeing repeated acts of terrorism being caused by white nationalists.

Someone, or a group of people have attempted to commit mass murder in Donald Trump's name. Let that sink in.

Also, I've often thought about that it could possibly be foreign actors who are behind this as well, you can't dismiss that either. There is a concerted effort from this country's enemies to tear this country apart from the inside...and its working.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#104 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:58 am

Prokorov wrote:If those bombs were real then we have reached a new all-time low as a country.... domestic assasinations and bombings that are politically motivated... we basically are some 3rd world or war torn corrupt middle east country at that point.

whats worse is i bet like biden could have been killed and trump followers would spin it as a good thing

Welcome to the new United States. This is what Trump has unleashed. Political assassination attempts of the President's enemies list. Deranged white men walking into a Publix and shooting black people to death at random.

Remember I was saying months ago that Trump's base is an existential threat? Here we are.

gigantes
Starter

Post#105 » by gigantes » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:32 am

MrDollarBills wrote:The FBI has gone on record that the bombs were functional:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/25/politics/bombs-suspicious-packages-what-we-know/index.html
An initial examination shows they are rudimentary but functional, and have similar construction. At least one contained projectiles, including shards of glass, a law enforcement official told CNN. The bombs were unstable and could have been set off by handling, sources said.

The narrative that the bombs were duds or pranks is a right wing/alt right talking point...

Hold up now. That same article goes on to state:

The bomb maker wanted to create fear, expert says

The bombs were likely meant to be found and create panic, explosives experts say.

"Whoever is doing this is just trying to elicit a fear or disrupt something," said Ryan Morris, founder of Tripwire Operations Group, a company that provides explosives training to law enforcement and military officials. He had examined images of the devices sent to Soros and to CNN's New York offices.

"There are a multitude of more sophisticated methodologies that would have worked if they really wanted this to work," he added. (brick highlighting mine)

So... not a prank, not duds, but primitive devices meant to be discovered.

Just trying to keep it factual and not get wound up over this stuff more than necessary.

Also, I've often thought about that it could possibly be foreign actors who are behind this as well, you can't dismiss that either. There is a concerted effort from this country's enemies to tear this country apart from the inside...and its working.

This seems like a great match for the Russians in particular, though. This doesn't seem to fit the Chinese or North Koreans, who tend to have different priorities and M.O.'s.

But in general, I'm guessing there's not too many other countries willing to take this kind of risk. I think you have to look at hostile countries that we can't retaliate against very well for various reasons. Russia is also pretty much top of that list AFAIK.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#106 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:16 am

So the fact that the bombs are functional but weren't detonated makes a difference to you? This isn't something that is going to blow over or not to be wound up about. The bombs were functional. Someone could have been killed (and most likely, US postal workers). That in itself is enough to be wound up about. I'm not sure how you can take that kind of position...would you like to have a functioning pipe bomb sent to your house? I highly doubt it.

Regardless of the bombs going off or not, this is a textbook act of terrorism. Not a joke or a prank dude.

However, I agree with you regarding the Russians. The Russians wouldn't be foolish enough to assassinate political figures in the United States because World War 3 begins and no one walks away alive. But I believe with the fact that Putin has a puppet in the White House under his thumb, the Kremlin would definitely sign off on something like this to stir divisions. The Chinese and North Koreans are way more sophisticated, they would prefer to hack away and still engage on a diplomatic level since war with the United States is foolish. NK wants concessions. China wants us to **** off so that they can carry out their agenda in their neck of the woods, in the oceans and Africa/West Indies/South America. I don't think the Iranians are really that crazy enough to even engage in this but there's evidence that they're in on the destabilization of the United States as well. The Russians however? Yes. I believe 100% they would push the envelope. It is documented that they want to destroy the United States via a 2nd Civil War, not outright USA vs. Russia war. They know full well they can manipulate the masses in this country to start killing each other.

"We do not have to invade the United States, we will destroy you from within" -Nikita Khrushchev

Putin idealizes the leaders of Russia's yesteryears...seems like he's following this train of thought.

And there are ways that the United States can retaliate against Russia that doesn't involve violence. Russia is a mob run state with a garbage ass economy. Cutting off access to finances and cyber warfare are legit tools that can be used without a gun being fired or a ballistic missile being launched. Obama waited until it was too late to realize that Russia is trying to destroy us and Trump is an asset of Russian intelligence. So nothing is happening until 2020, if this country doesn't destroy itself before that time.

gigantes
Starter

Post#107 » by gigantes » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:29 am

I was just stating a fact, dude, one which your own source is stating. I'm not disagreeing in the slightest with you about how F'd up it all is. I'm just trying to assess the situation accurately in the spirit of what the relevant agencies are obviously doing.

It's certainly terrorism, and certainly very disturbing, but it's not quite the end yet AFAIK.

Anyway, it does seem interesting that so many of these devices could be handled as much as they were without a single one going off. I mean with as much bomb-making information and materials so readily available all over the place (unfortunately), it's hard to imagine even amateurs going to this much work so incompetently.

I don't disagree with your assessment of Russia's motives and means, either. I do think there's a certain urgency they share with China in particular-- that due to their own serious economic problems, both actors don't have much choice but to be a lot more aggressive than they otherwise would. So it's not just a hearkening back to Xi's and Putin's idols, which does seem to be happening, but doing whatever's necessary to stay in power and not have their own country collapse. That means actively screwing with the rest of the world in a non-patient way, rather differently than the cold war was conducted.

But in a way Putin in particular is kind of brilliant about how he's going about this. I.e., I would guess he understands that just as much as the USA was founded on the greatness of personal freedom, it was also founded on naked greed, exploitation and racism / bigotry. That stuff sort of got papered over for various reasons, but it was always there, just below the surface or even in plain view sometimes.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#108 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:24 am

gigantes wrote:I was just stating a fact, dude, one which your own source is stating. I'm not disagreeing in the slightest with you about how F'd up it all is. I'm just trying to assess the situation accurately in the spirit of what the relevant agencies are obviously doing.

It's certainly terrorism, and certainly very disturbing, but it's not quite the end yet AFAIK.

Anyway, it does seem interesting that so many of these devices could be handled as much as they were without a single one going off. I mean with as much bomb-making information and materials so readily available all over the place (unfortunately), it's hard to imagine even amateurs going to this much work so incompetently.

I don't disagree with your assessment of Russia's motives and means, either. I do think there's a certain urgency they share with China in particular-- that due to their own serious economic problems, both actors don't have much choice but to be a lot more aggressive than they otherwise would. So it's not just a hearkening back to Xi's and Putin's idols, which does seem to be happening, but doing whatever's necessary to stay in power and not have their own country collapse. That means actively screwing with the rest of the world in a non-patient way, rather differently than the cold war was conducted.

But in a way Putin in particular is kind of brilliant about how he's going about this. I.e., I would guess he understands that just as much as the USA was founded on the greatness of personal freedom, it was also founded on naked greed, exploitation and racism / bigotry. That stuff sort of got papered over for various reasons, but it was always there, just below the surface or even in plain view sometimes.

Sorry if I came off as abrasive, the crap going on right now is really frustrating. Its not just the bombs. Its the every day bombardment of hatred as well. The racism, the abuse of people who are the most vulnerable by this government...its to the point where I stopped checking the news like I usually do because I don't want to read or hear about it anymore but the bombs things was kind of unavoidable. Every day seems to just get worse and worse and I don't think it will change even after the mid term elections.

I love this country but it is truly an ugly, nasty place with a lot of horrible people in it who take joy in seeing others suffer because they're not white or they're gay/transgender. And Russia is only using this ugliness against us all...to me, Putin has won. Big time. This isn't going away.

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,969

Post#109 » by Rich Rane » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:32 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#110 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:47 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

color me shocked that the culprit isn't some "leftist" but a full blown MAGA loon.

Read on Twitter

I hope he ends up going out like Benito Mussolini did.

But jail will suffice.

Read on Twitter

He knew. That's why he's trying to push the "false flag" nonsense.

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#111 » by Rich Rane » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:54 pm

From the Current Affairs Board
Jo Jo English wrote:Supposedly the suspect's van.

If true, then the theory of trying to frame Trump supporters should go right out the window. This guy looks like a true believer.

Good Lord, it's like Trump's Twitter made into a van. Or a Trump rally made into a van. Or the Tea Party Mobile.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#112 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:10 pm

Notice the targets over certain people's faces?

Trump's base is deranged.

gigantes
Starter

Post#113 » by gigantes » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:27 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Sorry if I came off as abrasive, the crap going on right now is really frustrating. Its not just the bombs. Its the every day bombardment of hatred as well. The racism, the abuse of people who are the most vulnerable by this government...its to the point where I stopped checking the news like I usually do because I don't want to read or hear about it anymore but the bombs things was kind of unavoidable. Every day seems to just get worse and worse and I don't think it will change even after the mid term elections.

I love this country but it is truly an ugly, nasty place with a lot of horrible people in it who take joy in seeing others suffer because they're not white or they're gay/transgender. And Russia is only using this ugliness against us all...to me, Putin has won. Big time. This isn't going away.

No probs. It's an extraordinarily stressful time, that's for sure.

You know, I'm not sure what's worse... the pure insanity of Trump somehow absconding with the office of the presidency, or the pure insanity of how so many moderates and people with reasonably functional brains don't view that as... well, pure insanity.

I do think this is the kind of actual, slap-in-the-face absurdity that should have ignited an extraordinary grassroots movement across much of the USA... maybe even shades of the 60's... bur instead, too many people have been studiously normalising it and continuing to play with their smart-devices, I guess. :/
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#114 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:08 pm

gigantes wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Sorry if I came off as abrasive, the crap going on right now is really frustrating. Its not just the bombs. Its the every day bombardment of hatred as well. The racism, the abuse of people who are the most vulnerable by this government...its to the point where I stopped checking the news like I usually do because I don't want to read or hear about it anymore but the bombs things was kind of unavoidable. Every day seems to just get worse and worse and I don't think it will change even after the mid term elections.

No probs. It's an extraordinarily stressful time, that's for sure.

You know, I'm not sure what's worse... the pure insanity of Trump somehow absconding with the office of the presidency, or the pure insanity of how so many moderates and people with reasonably functional brains don't view that as... well, pure insanity.

I do think this is the kind of actual, slap-in-the-face absurdity that should have ignited an extraordinary grassroots movement across much of the USA... maybe even shades of the 60's... bur instead, too many people have been studiously normalising it and continuing to play with their smart-devices, I guess. :/

Yep. You said the key word. Normalize.

all of this has now been normalized.

And the media is a huge culprit in helping to normalize it. They sensationalized Trump during the 2016 campaign providing him non stop wall to wall free publicity during the primaries and the generals, and now instead of doing their jobs and refuting his crap at every turn, they'll cover him saying whatever and then not injecting facts into their reporting.

The people who are generally apathetic are the ones who believe that none of this is going to hurt them. Women, people of color, lgbt people meanwhile are on edge.

Well...we'll see in a week and a half how many people are perfectly fine with sending this country into the dark ages.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#115 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:47 pm

"Normalizing"

Read on Twitter

I'm really over it. This country is a garbage dump.

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#116 » by Rich Rane » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:44 pm

Read on Twitter

How was this guy arrested and not shot dead?
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#117 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:17 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
Read on Twitter

How was this guy arrested and not shot dead?

Good question, after he killed cops at that. It amazes me the leniency and gentleness that white mass murderers receive from police.

Do you think it's a coincidence that within days after Trump declares that he's a "nationalist" at his nazi rally, 11 people are murdered at the hands of white supremacists (2 Black people, 8 Jewish people) and someone attempts to assassinate Barack, Hillary, etc? I don't.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#118 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:19 pm

Read on Twitter

^yep.

gigantes
Starter

Post#119 » by gigantes » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:12 am

MrDollarBills wrote:"Normalizing"

Read on Twitter

I'm really over it. This country is a garbage dump.

IIRC, some smart-ass person once said-- the hallmark of an intelligent mind is being able to hold completely contradictory thoughts in their mind without going crazy. Or something like that.

But at the end of the day, what choice do we have, really?
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#120 » by Rich Rane » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:43 pm

Read on Twitter

Not even hiding his racism anymore.

Read on Twitter

Return to Brooklyn Nets