ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets @ 76ERS- Game 2 playoffs- 4/17- 7:30 Yes & TNT

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,938

Re: Nets @ 76ERS- Game 2 playoffs- 4/17- 7:30 Yes & TNT 

Post#121 » by Karate Diop » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:17 pm

Claxton is fine offensively. He's actually one of the better bigs in the league and putting the ball on the deck and creatively finishing around the rim.

Defensively... I want the team to further vary things up by allowing Claxton to guard Embiid 1-on-1 at times. At this point, knowing Claxton, it's gotta be personal and he's got an even bigger chip on his shoulder... Unleash the Clax.
Karate Diop
General Manager

Post#122 » by Karate Diop » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:19 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:Watching the Warriors and the Kings play basketball after a Nets game and it just looks like a different sport.

Like the Kings are more talented than the Nets but just look at how they approach the game. Great attention to detail on both ends and a clear philosophy. Fox has been incredible clutch scorer but it never feels like he's forcing iso's. Everything happens within the flow of their offense and nothing is forced. It allows the whole team to play with confidence.

There is many ways to win but man, our coaching staff just nuetters the talent on this team. Kings are not scared to use their bench appropriately and empowers their players. Meanwhile, JV benches our talented players and constantly talk s*** about them in the media. Zero accountability from coach either when he gets things wrong.

Mike Brown challenges his best players (FOx + Sabonis) to do the right things(accountability) and JV just lets Dinwiddie do whatever he wants to the detriment of the team, without ever calling him out for trash play and effort.

If there are no staff/front office changes in the offseason, I will probably check out from the Nets for a bit tbh.

The Nets have had like 20 games together... The Kings have had a season+

Teams don't get a chance to practice that much in-season. The familiarity just isn't there...
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,031

Post#123 » by NetsWorld » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:20 pm

76ciology wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
3pt_chucker wrote:Doc made adjustments during the half and Nets had no answers on either end of the floor.

Did Doc really adjust on the defensive end? I feel like Sixers have been giving the Nets opportunities all game and Nets simply couldn't convert.

In the 2nd half, Embiid operated from the elbow, than from the block. He turns the ball too much on doubles at the block.

Then defensively, Sixers played more zone defense

No disrespect, but Sixers tried to see if they can play their B game in the first half, after that dominant performance in game 1. When that was not in the cards after trailing in the first half, Sixers went back to their A game and it was over

My friend, any sane Nets fan knows we are not winning this series, please don't try and troll sarcastically and pass it off as a respect. Just stop. We are not a star laden team that thinks we are getting past Philly. I said Sixers in 5. But pre trade, you would have been roasted and served in four games.
Karate Diop
General Manager

Post#124 » by Karate Diop » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:21 pm

I also just want to point out that Lard-en is 2-13 from inside the arc this series.

The team should be running him off the three-point line at every opportunity, he can't finish anymore - stop treating him like Houston Harden.
Karate Diop
General Manager

Post#125 » by Karate Diop » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:23 pm

76ciology wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
3pt_chucker wrote:Doc made adjustments during the half and Nets had no answers on either end of the floor.

Did Doc really adjust on the defensive end? I feel like Sixers have been giving the Nets opportunities all game and Nets simply couldn't convert.

In the 2nd half, Embiid operated from the elbow, than from the block. He turns the ball too much on doubles at the block.

No disrespect, but Sixers tried to see if they can play their B game in the first half, after that dominant performance in game 1. When that was not in the cards after trailing in the first half, Sixers went back to their A game and it was over

Eh... That's an unhealthy dose of copium.

The Nets pushed the Sixers. Doc came with no adjustments and the Sixers unsustainable three-point shooting from Game 1 couldn't carry over to Game 2.

The Sixers are a better team but the Nets have certainly highlighted some serious concerns that other better teams will be capable of exploiting to a greater degree...
Karate Diop
General Manager

Post#126 » by Karate Diop » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:24 pm

*Last thought - the Nets suck at rebounding.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,127

Post#127 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:18 pm

Karate Diop wrote:
3pt_chucker wrote:Watching the Warriors and the Kings play basketball after a Nets game and it just looks like a different sport.

Like the Kings are more talented than the Nets but just look at how they approach the game. Great attention to detail on both ends and a clear philosophy. Fox has been incredible clutch scorer but it never feels like he's forcing iso's. Everything happens within the flow of their offense and nothing is forced. It allows the whole team to play with confidence.

There is many ways to win but man, our coaching staff just nuetters the talent on this team. Kings are not scared to use their bench appropriately and empowers their players. Meanwhile, JV benches our talented players and constantly talk s*** about them in the media. Zero accountability from coach either when he gets things wrong.

Mike Brown challenges his best players (FOx + Sabonis) to do the right things(accountability) and JV just lets Dinwiddie do whatever he wants to the detriment of the team, without ever calling him out for trash play and effort.

If there are no staff/front office changes in the offseason, I will probably check out from the Nets for a bit tbh.

Teams don't get a chance to practice that much in-season. The familiarity just isn't there...

yeah this is why I'm not upset with the team. This is basically a team of 3 + D wings slapped together with no training camp and barely any practice time. We also lack serious talent at PG. We don't have a ceiling raising star as well.

If we had a Fox at PG and a Sabonis at C, we'd be in serious business, but we don't.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#128 » by MGrand15 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:22 pm

The worrying thing is we only scored 84 points and JV said he had no problem with the offense and he loved the shots we got. Basically my guy thinks it was a fluke that we got shut down.

We scored 22 points in the paint but JV is happy because we chucked up 50 3s.

Expect more of the same Game 3.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#129 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:32 pm

MGrand15 wrote:The worrying thing is we only scored 84 points and JV said he had no problem with the offense and he loved the shots we got. Basically my guy thinks it was a fluke that we got shut down.

With this roster, I don't think there's much of any choice but to try and bomb threes. Who is going to score inside consistently? I don't think Bridges can do it and Dinwiddie sucks at throwing lobs to Claxton.

If we want baskets in the paint, then we need to play faster and run on missed shots and forced TOs before Philly gets set. Edmond Sumner would help that.

NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,031

Post#130 » by NetsWorld » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:41 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

These aren't exactly advanced stats, but for all the offensive talent Sixers have, for you guys to only score 24 points in the 3rd is either an accomplishment for the Nets or a disappointment for the Sixers. The problem for the Nets is only scoring 14. This wasn't exactly because of some adjustment from defensive guru Doc Rivers. Cam (who cooled off), Royce, DFS, and Dinwiddie got PLENTY of open looks. Playoff Joe also showing up didn't help.

This certainly wasn't a pause of Plan A from Doc. Playoff Harden simply showed up so that was one less guy to worry about. Small ball was working much better than having Claxton on the floor. Maxey was stepping up all game after a somewhat disappointing Game 1. Nets got to within 1 not long after the start of the 4th. However, it wasn't enough for the Nets offense to shoot themselves in the feet with an assault rifle, but tiring themselves covering for the double (and not even just Embiid for some reason) and giving up offensive rebounds due to playing small is and will continue to be the constant theme for the rest of the series.

Harden looked timid and scared and couldn't get by the long arms of the defenders we threw at him.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#131 » by 3pt_chucker » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:39 pm

Karate Diop wrote:

I would agree with this except

1) we've, well me, have been complaining about our staff all season. The team was essentially save us KD and had very little sophistication outside of that

2) Yes chemistry is a factor for some small things but that NOT an excuse to not even have a real philosophy on offense other than iso, iso and high pnr. Nets have all the tools to be great defensively and far too often the team gets torched because the defensive scheme is far too rigid and doesn't factor in the personnel.

Lot of the team's offensive and defense issues is not related to chemistry at all. It's just a convenient excuse.

Look, the 76ers are much better and should win this series but this is going to be an easy sweep because coaching is subpar.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach

Post#132 » by 3pt_chucker » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:51 pm

Stats without context:

In games without Kevin Durant, JV is 90-202 (30%) win percentage
JV is 0-6 in playoff games
Karate Diop
General Manager

Post#133 » by Karate Diop » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:00 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:

1) we've, well me, have been complaining about our staff all season. The team was essentially save us KD and had very little sophistication outside of that

2) Yes chemistry is a factor for some small things but that NOT an excuse to not even have a real philosophy on offense other than iso, iso and high pnr. Nets have all the tools to be great defensively and far too often the team gets torched because the defensive scheme is far too rigid and doesn't factor in the personnel.

Lot of the team's offensive and defense issues is not related to chemistry at all. It's just a convenient excuse.

Look, the 76ers are much better and should win this series but this is going to be an easy sweep because coaching is subpar.

I think we have to give JV at least an off-season to see what his vision offensively is, stepping in for Nash he wasn't able to just wholesale change everything, then the trades happen, and quite frankly we weren't even sure if Bridges was for real or a mirage initially... We've had some really bad coaches in the past and Vaughn isn't that level of bad IMO.
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 220

Post#134 » by ChuckS » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:25 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:The worrying thing is we only scored 84 points and JV said he had no problem with the offense and he loved the shots we got. Basically my guy thinks it was a fluke that we got shut down.

With this roster, I don't think there's much of any choice but to try and bomb threes. Who is going to score inside consistently? I don't think Bridges can do it and Dinwiddie sucks at throwing lobs to Claxton.

If we want baskets in the paint, then we need to play faster and run on missed shots and forced TOs before Philly gets set. Edmond Sumner would help that.

I'll admit to a preference for box score over advanced stats formulas which are so valuable for baseball, with minimum variables, compared to basketball with constantly changing offensive and defensive players throughout 48 minutes. One that I found comes closest, IMO, to those that use actual observations (by camera/visual) and my eye test is 82Games.com. Unfortunately you now have to wait to the end of the year for their compilations. It measures a player's own vs opponent production, and on-off court, numbers.

It has Spencer, CJ, and Claxton 2d through 4th on the current team as far as their production versus their opponents. And Claxton 1st, with Dinwiddie and Johnson tied for 2d/3d for best on court off court numbers. Not surprisingly, Mikal has the substantially best own vs. opponent production, but inexplicably a slight (1.6) minus on-off court measure.

We have no other current player with a positive own vs opponent production, and only O'Neale, Simmons, and Sumner, in that order, with a positive on-off court number. This leads me to really miss KD and Kyrie who were one and two for the year in the combination of those two factors. It also suggests that we are not still (or yet) a great playoff threat, but can be competitive. It should also explain why JV, et al, with even more significant sources, do some of the things they do.

Which leads me to Sumner, an obviously good player or he would not have lasted in the league. His +1 positive on-off court and only slightly negative own vs opponent numbers suggest he does not hurt us when coming off the bench. He has averaged 7.4 points with us vs 5.7 in his previous years. But he has played a nearly identical 14 minutes per game here and with McMillan. I think he is currently being appropriately used based on our needs.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#135 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:02 pm

GTR11 wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:I said it before, it's just a bad matchup for us. We no way equip to compete vs Embiid either player or coach wise.

I predicted sweep but obviously would like one

Just show some compete n killer instinct for gm 3

They are trying but too many wtf moments

I don't see one damn team in a playoffs and call them a good match up if I'm being 100. Giannis? Saltics ? Cavs... they whipped our azz just before PO, Miami? They mediocre team, but during PO they will smoke us out. ATL got Snyder and Trae, we got nothing to answer.

Replying to this part, its a good read for the whole post!

While its no guarantee or sure thing either way, but IMO, we definitely do match up better with the likes of Cavs and Boston.

The strength of the cavs is at our defensive strength, while they have donovan to carry them, we actually have the combo of Bridges, CJ, O'Neal to help contain him. That's a lot better/feasible than Claxton/Royce/Sharpe trying to hold down Embiid.

The strengths of CLE n BOS happens to play into our defensive strength IMO. By no means a win for us but its a better compete than the Sixers advantage over our disadvantage.

That's why I wished we had played better enough for the 5th seed, for that Cleveland matchup that is much more feasible for us to make into a series, despite the finish toward the end of the season.

Hindsight 20/20, obviously anyone and everyone wants to avoid the play in but perhaps finishing 7th would be better for us vs Boston. Again, doesn't mean a win but I think a much better compete based on their high level strength we can offer better resistance than what we can do vs Sixers. We just look stupid playing vs PHI.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#136 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:15 pm

GTR11 wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:I said it before, it's just a bad matchup for us. We no way equip to compete vs Embiid either player or coach wise.

I predicted sweep but obviously would like one

Just show some compete n killer instinct for gm 3

They are trying but too many wtf moments

Here's our deal here. Tsai wanted to roll dice and see if things can change come regular season. All that went down the drain ten games into the season with Kyrie throwing another shenanigan and being unhappy with contract situation. Than KD goes down as usual and Tsai pulls the plug on this dumpsterfire experiment.

They tried to hire coach Marks know and got connection with, but here comes Silver and says don't do it now. Maybe when things will quit down. Than Marks goes along and extends this dumb azz tool.

Than we trade both insecure clowns and actually managed to pull an all star with bunch of assets. Got very lucky here.

Now let's see what's happening around to make a calculated decisions:
1. Dame been hurt and don't want to be rebuild situation. LAL is preferred destination, but LBJ only wants his to spend picks on his boy Kyrie. So they keeping Dame as a fall back plan.
2. Brown wants max money. Saltics already gave it to Tatum. So he's only way to remain there with max money if he ends up in 1st team. Very doable now with KD being shipped out. However he also entertaining options getting home or near by in South Beach. Both teams herd the word and now looking to unload cap.
3. Zion pretty much quit on Pelicans and giving Langdon signs to trade him out. He obviously wants to play at the Gawden with his boy.
4. Ingram is tight. First he had to deal with Kobe, than comes LBJ and packages him into AD trade. Now he sees Fat Azz being paid and demanding trade on the low. He refuses to stay quiet here and calls him out while also saying he is unhappy. Clear sign for any GM to come get him.
5. LaMelo kept himself and dady quiet because MJ is MJ. Now MJ looking to sell. So he goes to say he ain't sure what tomorrow will look like. He wants out too.
6. ATL tried to move Collins for two years now. There ain't no takers out there. So they traded for Murray and shopping Trae now hoping to clear enough cap space and get assets for Brown. Home boy that can attract another star along.
7. Jimmy is washed up and Pat looking to upgrade him with Brown. South Beach is attractive itself for top talent.

Now we got this other situations in Orlando and Dallas where teams willing to skip steps and compete with their young stars. They got lotto picks that apparently available for the right guys that fit them. On the other hand we got Craptors and ChiTown ready blow it up and rebuild on the go with their main guy intact.

This kid Taylor Hendricks can complete our front court or make Nic expendable depending on the circumstances. He is pretty much Nic Claxton with tear drop and 40% 3 pointer, high energy guy with all star potential written all over him. He started the season being in mid twenties, now several mocks have him in 4-6 range. I wouldn't think twice sending CamJ ( who will get over paid ) and two picks in Orlando to get him. That rookie contract and talent that he brings will be huge for us with Ben being on board.

Sorry for the long post.

This part now lol

Yea that Taylor kid seems like a top 12 pick so far. looks like the cat is out of the bag on that one. I am on the side of keeping Cam J, he brings everything we don't have and consistently overlooked or ignored in the 7/11 era. He's the type to flourish is a system that puts him at the best place to succeed rather than what Vaughn n Co. employs. Unless someone offers their top 5 pick for Cam then easy peasy... hell maybe top 10 even, I ain that foolish lol.

I almost dont expect any big trades right now... for what's popularity available? I don't see a move manifesting itself. it would have to be like a OMG wtf move where no one saw coming.

From the list, Ingram would be awesome here and obviously Brown but we have Bridges playing so its not entirely missed out.

One FA I'd like for us to consider off the top of my head is Nikola Vucevic. Solves a lot for us... as long as it don't break bank.

Draft wise, would like us to get one of the Centers and 3pt shooter of the draft. Like every **** draft lol
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#137 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:16 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:

I think that your criticisms are 100% valid. My only thing is that I just don't think we have the dogs to hang with Philly. We got a lot of good open looks last night that were not going down. That part is on our personnel. Guys need to make their shots.

Defensively, the 1st half adjustment was great. 2nd half, clearly Vaughn had no plan B for when Doc was going to adjust to how Embiid was being defended.

You have to throw in wrinkles to keep guys guessing. We kept doubling and tripling Embiid at the foul line area which made it easy for him to see over defenders and find the open man. Why are we doubling him when he's that far away from the rim?

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#138 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:33 pm

NetsWorld wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

My friend, any sane Nets fan knows we are not winning this series, please don't try and troll sarcastically and pass it off as a respect. Just stop. We are not a star laden team that thinks we are getting past Philly. I said Sixers in 5. But pre trade, you would have been roasted and served in four games.

Like seriously, why is this dude even bothering? We've been defeated since the trade deadline. You have to be a real c*nt to troll a fanbase that has been utterly destroyed, but it's not like i expect class from the Sixers fanbase.

3pt_chucker
Head Coach

Post#139 » by 3pt_chucker » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:07 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
3pt_chucker wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:

I think that your criticisms are 100% valid. My only thing is that I just don't think we have the dogs to hang with Philly. We got a lot of good open looks last night that were not going down. That part is on our personnel. Guys need to make their shots.

Defensively, the 1st half adjustment was great. 2nd half, clearly Vaughn had no plan B for when Doc was going to adjust to how Embiid was being defended.

You have to throw in wrinkles to keep guys guessing. We kept doubling and tripling Embiid at the foul line area which made it easy for him to see over defenders and find the open man. Why are we doubling him when he's that far away from the rim?

It's because we have a hyper rigid head coach. Erik Spoelstra plays more defensive schemes and wrinkles in 1 game than JV does all season. It's been that way ever since he became the defensive coordinator last season.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#140 » by MGrand15 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:45 pm

I don't buy ANY complaints about the defense or rebounding or double teams or whatever.

We shut Philly down last night. Philly averages 115 PPG. We held them to 96. Even the second half where they had more success, they only scored 52. That's absolutely nothing in today's NBA. The defense did it's job.

Our offense was just a complete failure. You can't be the worst offensive team in the league and expect to have any success.

Return to Brooklyn Nets