Early discussion on the 2023 offseason

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Re: Early discussion on the 2023 offseason 

Post#1401 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:10 pm

Too soon for me to throw shade at Marks for not drafting Leonard Miller?
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,080

Post#1402 » by Netaman » Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:20 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:Too soon for me to throw shade at Marks for not drafting Leonard Miller?

maybe? the whole league passed on him so probably something there since he had so much helium leading up to the draft and the tangibles are so obvious.

if jalen wilson keeps looking the way he does i'll be good on missing on leonard even if that ends up looking bad. i think wilson is one of the more exciting players marks has drafted since he's been here. he looks like a much better version of kessler edwards.
JKiddy
Sixth Man
And1: 330

Post#1403 » by JKiddy » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:01 pm

Netaman wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:Too soon for me to throw shade at Marks for not drafting Leonard Miller?

maybe? the whole league passed on him so probably something there since he had so much helium leading up to the draft and the tangibles are so obvious.

if jalen wilson keeps looking the way he does i'll be good on missing on leonard even if that ends up looking bad. i think wilson is one of the more exciting players marks has drafted since he's been here. he looks like a much better version of kessler edwards.

I think we drafted Wilson to play this season after we move one of DFS/RO in a deal that will occur this summer. Wilson will be a nice role player for us.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,938

Post#1404 » by Karate Diop » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:24 pm

So Sumner is a lock to be waived right? Sucks because he played well when given the chance but I can't see anyway he's not let go... Pushing back the guarantee deadline seems like it was a past ditch effort to see if there was any team that would be interested in acquiring him.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1405 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:55 pm

Netaman wrote:

that's true about the league passing up on him... obviously not the final judgement call on Miller's potential.

Wilson looks trustworthy and that's what we need for sure lol
The ModFather

Netaman
Analyst

Post#1406 » by Netaman » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:04 pm

Karate Diop wrote:So Sumner is a lock to be waived right? Sucks because he played well when given the chance but I can't see anyway he's not let go... Pushing back the guarantee deadline seems like it was a past ditch effort to see if there was any team that would be interested in acquiring him.

dont think it's to trade him as much as to trade his contract as part of salary matching to a team who can then dump it before the guarantee triggers to save $ (like portland or miami).
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#1407 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:20 pm

Netaman wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:So Sumner is a lock to be waived right? Sucks because he played well when given the chance but I can't see anyway he's not let go... Pushing back the guarantee deadline seems like it was a past ditch effort to see if there was any team that would be interested in acquiring him.

dont think it's to trade him as much as to trade his contract as part of salary matching to a team who can then dump it before the guarantee triggers to save $ (like portland or miami).

I think it's that they're still looking at trades, and we don't want to guarantee him until we know if we need the roster spot to complete the trade.
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer
And1: 952

Post#1408 » by bubonicphoniks » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:00 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:
bubonicphoniks wrote:Whats the deal with Herro. Hes a fine player but I don't think changes this team at all so any assets to get him is a mistake.

Petition to sign Mo Harkless. Why are his services not in higher demand?

Are you related to Moe? He's barely a 12th man in today's NBA. He's a tweener wing/forward, who can't shoot, rebound and is meh as a defender.
Haha I like Mo hes a versatile high IQ player. Lord knows worse guys have come through here lately.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#1409 » by Claud » Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:11 pm

I still think we need another center.

Clax/Sharpe/Clowney is too inexperienced. We need a vet C.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1410 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:33 pm

Wrote this out, a stupid hot take for change of pace.

David Duke Jr over Cam Thomas?
The ModFather

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1411 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:33 pm

Claud wrote:I still think we need another center.

Not just a vet but an actual big man...

this undersized bs has gone too far.
The ModFather

JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

Post#1412 » by JoseRizal » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:11 am

CalamityX12 wrote:

It seems that Marks isn't satisfied with the 29th team rebounding rank and is gunning for last place this upcoming season.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#1413 » by Netaman » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:32 pm

this seems somewhat noteworthy.

Read on Twitter
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#1414 » by Decipher » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:55 am

Netaman wrote:this seems somewhat noteworthy.

Read on Twitter

Simmons has been training at a Miami facility used by Heat players (and others) for weeks so probably nothing to it
Netaman
Analyst

Post#1415 » by Netaman » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:08 am

been saying but miami is very incentivized to keep the nets roped into helping them as 3rd team vs. splintering them off into leverage for portland if the nets are indeed interested in herro as it has been pretty widely reported at this point.

if nets send a 2025 pick out for herro i would hope it's protected to the lesser of their 2 picks (even though it's almost certain to be the phoenix pick).

4 frps + jovic + whoever nets deal for salary match seems like a solid return for portland. this 3 team seems to make too much sense to not happen, and if it does i'll be really curious to see how the nets decide to salary match. I would think they will lean towards dealing the older guys as opposed to simmons.

Read on Twitter
brook
Senior
And1: 115

Post#1416 » by brook » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:02 am

CalamityX12 wrote:

Except of Christian Wood, the only actual big man left on the market are Bismarck Biyombo & Willy Hernangomez. I like Willy.
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#1417 » by Shark » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:14 pm

brook wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:

Except of Christian Wood, the only actual big man left on the market are Bismarck Biyombo & Willy Hernangomez. I like Willy.

Willy signed with Barca.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#1418 » by Tha King » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:32 pm

Netaman wrote:been saying but miami is very incentivized to keep the nets roped into helping them as 3rd team vs. splintering them off into leverage for portland if the nets are indeed interested in herro as it has been pretty widely reported at this point.

if nets send a 2025 pick out for herro it's protected to the lesser of their 2 picks (even though it's almost certain to be the phoenix pick).

4 frps + jovic + whoever nets deal for salary match seems like a solid return for portland. this 3 team seems to make too much sense to not happen, and if it does i'll be really curious to see how the nets decide to salary match. I would think they will lean towards dealing the older guys as opposed to simmons.

Read on Twitter

If it's any combination of Din, DFS, O'Neale then imo the 2025 pick is too much for Herro. You could argue those players have just as much value or more, contracts considered.

The other thing, since the 2025 pick could be a very important aspect to the broader trade between Miami/Portland, Brooklyn would/should need further incentive to include it.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#1419 » by Netaman » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:45 pm

Tha King wrote:If it's any combination of Din, DFS, O'Neale then imo the 2025 pick is too much for Herro. You could argue those players have just as much value or more, contracts considered.

The other thing, since the 2025 pick could be a very important aspect to the broader trade between Miami/Portland, Brooklyn would/should need further incentive to include it.

value wise i dont disagree they'd be giving up extra positive value players but i think the rumored prices asked by nets associated with royce/dfs are high so im not sure how much value that actually is.

royce has 1 year left so im not sure he has FRP value any more. Last year with 2 reasonable salaries left a late FRP from a championship contender seemed like a fair but not cheap price to pay for him. on an expiring he's good filler but he's filler. i wouldn't be shocked if his value is closer to a jae crowder bushel of 2nd round picks return now.

DFS would be worth a FRP with 3 fair years of control if he hadn't shot the ball so badly and wasnt coming off surgery now. He is probably worth a future protected 1st but i dont think he's worth much more than that and im not sure who out there still needs him.

A bunch of the teams interested in those types of players just went out and spent their TPMLEs on Grant Williams, Strus, Divincenzo, Brown, vincent, etc. the mavs are an interesting option for a reunion since they got matched on thybulle so we know they are still looking even if they just added grant williams.

i would hope the nets can rope a 4th team like SAS into taking DFS or Royce so if they give miami a 2025 pick they can get back a different FRP, but it also wouldn't shock me if it's just a 3 team trade and the value they get back for those guys is more in the form of a young player (like Haywood Highsmith).
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#1420 » by Shark » Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:39 pm

Read on Twitter

Not shocking, but Sumner's been officially released.

Return to Brooklyn Nets