ImageImageImageImageImage

Perhaps, just perhaps, Marks is on to something..... HERE ME OUT

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,079

Re: Perhaps, just perhaps, Marks is on to something..... HERE ME OUT 

Post#21 » by Netaman » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:42 pm

KD + clax and KD + siakam had roughly the same chances of winning a championship. so a siakam trade was useless unless masai was willing to trade him for a non-claxton package (which it seems he wasnt).

i dont have a huge issue with KD deciding Phoenix had a better shot, it's his career and the nets got value back. im not sure he's right though because they are really thin now.
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,031

Post#22 » by NetsWorld » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:55 pm

Sharcm1 wrote:There is one major difference. The nba is not the same as it used to be. Way more fouls are called allowing for offensive players to get points anyway. And you can play the best defense on players like curry and Durant and they will still score. The game has changed too much for that to be as effective

Not to say the comparison isn’t a good one. It’s a similar team. Nic even reminds me of Ben Wallace a little with his game.

This team can win games. They will be a playoff or close to it team with this group of players. Spencer can score and create. Cam can score and the others can shoot and defend. They will beat teams. They will beat good teams. But they won’t win playoff series and championships. You don’t need a big three for that but you need at least a big one.

I got my eyes on Luka. Perhaps Luka will be the next domino and leave Dallas.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,127

Post#23 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:02 pm

Masai would have robbed us blind for Siakam. Trading KD was the correct decision, and its one that will have the Nets back in contention sooner than later.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#24 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:06 pm

NetsWorld wrote:
Sharcm1 wrote:There is one major difference. The nba is not the same as it used to be. Way more fouls are called allowing for offensive players to get points anyway. And you can play the best defense on players like curry and Durant and they will still score. The game has changed too much for that to be as effective

Not to say the comparison isn’t a good one. It’s a similar team. Nic even reminds me of Ben Wallace a little with his game.

This team can win games. They will be a playoff or close to it team with this group of players. Spencer can score and create. Cam can score and the others can shoot and defend. They will beat teams. They will beat good teams. But they won’t win playoff series and championships. You don’t need a big three for that but you need at least a big one.

I got my eyes on Luka. Perhaps Luka will be the next domino and leave Dallas.

It's not a matter of perhaps. He will.

ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 220

Post#25 » by ChuckS » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:27 pm

NetsWorld wrote:Lost in all this hoopla of our own two stars getting traded is the return for KD/Kyrie was VERY STRATEGIC to say the least. Something on twitter caught my eye, in 2004, we had an extremely talented and starless Detroit Pistons team which essentially throttled and abused teams handily with its crazy defense. This Nets team, to some degree, not exactly the same, reminds me of that team in terms of its length and ability to defend.....OF COURSE Detroit did it better, holding teams to 75 PPG is no small feat. But may, just maybe, Vaughn gets these guys to truly buy into defense as its main ingredient in winning now and in the future, perhaps the defense will be our superstar...... We shall see how this team progresses, and there will be rocky roads along the way, but what I saw against the Bulls is the Bulls really struggled to score and get comfortable shots off until they started attacking the paint and the Nets adjusted their D to thwart as well. Will it be that in a year from now we will talk about our new all star "Defense" is superior to our previous scoring all stars, KD/Kyrie, highly doubtful but hey, just a thought. Thoughts anyone? Does this team have the defensive potential to contend?

I cannot believe anyone else remembered that. I had the exact same thought about the Pistons after the trades. That's why I wasn't depressed after we lost my favorite player. I still am amazed that we shed two players that good and didn't wind up at the bottom of the league talent wise (IMO). I think the important part of our rebuild has already been accomplished.

GYK made an astute point about the possible difference. Ben Wallace, their center, was defensive player of the year. But I can't quantify the difference between him and Claxton, and I do not believe we are done recruiting for the center position. So, needless to say, I have a different opinion of Marks.

Detroit not only were champions that year but would have made it two in a row, I think, except for the excellence of the Spurs and genius of Popovich. 2005 was like a chess match between two great coaches. (Larry Brown led the Pistons.) Bruce Bowen had done an incredible job on Rip Hamilton and game 7 was up for grabs. With about 2 minutes to go Pop switched him onto Billups Even though Chauncey was their closer, Brown immediately went to Rip who still was cold, then back to Chauncey. If I recall they stopped Billups on three of the last four attempts to win. Duncan received all the accolades but I thought Bowen was the critical factor.

Which leads me to this team. I think we have great defense and perimeter size, with at least decent scoring from multiple players. Some think we have two many wings, but I disagree. My starting lineup would be Dinwiddie (6'8+" wingspan), Bridges (7.1' wingspan), Johnson, DFS (7' wingspan), and Claxson. I expect a decent backup center, but we have good length with Simmons (if we keep him), Oneale (6'10" wingspan), and Yuta. I have Cam Thomas for instant scoring like "Microwave" Dumars. (Our current third team has some talent and shooting ability also.)

I'm not implying a superstar wouldn't be nice -- just that what we have now is a great new beginning.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,838

Post#26 » by sashaturiaf » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:30 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:
Paradise wrote:I agree but not adding a big is alarming. No excuse not to bolster that at the deadline, even the post-Melo Nuggets had some pretty solid bigs. They got better and made the playoffs consistently while the Knicks didn’t due to no size.

could be a cost cutting move. I believe the Nets are now under the luxury tax for this season which means more money in Tsais pockets.

Given wins are less of a priority than player development now, it wouldnt surprise me if we just rolled with Sharpe for the rest of the season as the backup 5 along with cycling 10 day contract guys if Clax or him get hurt.

This is it. Use that open spot to test out some G-Leaguers and 10 day guys. Don't bring in a washed up big for the sake of having another big people have heard of. Give Sharpe & Simmons more time there. Experiment with small ball lineups. Come playoff time, we we still need a banger, go pick up Dwight Howard or somebody like that. Priority should be finding a younger diamond in the rough though.

Saw that the Pacers just waived Goga Bitadze. Young 7 foot stretch 5.

Id be interested to take a flier on him. He's got 3 point range and can protect the rim, like a poor man's Myles Turner who he actually got buried behind in Indiana.

He's only 23 so I'd be very interested in giving him a shot, especially if Clax will be out a while with the hamstring.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#27 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:58 pm

sashaturiaf wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:

could be a cost cutting move. I believe the Nets are now under the luxury tax for this season which means more money in Tsais pockets.

Given wins are less of a priority than player development now, it wouldnt surprise me if we just rolled with Sharpe for the rest of the season as the backup 5 along with cycling 10 day contract guys if Clax or him get hurt.

This is it. Use that open spot to test out some G-Leaguers and 10 day guys. Don't bring in a washed up big for the sake of having another big people have heard of. Give Sharpe & Simmons more time there. Experiment with small ball lineups. Come playoff time, we we still need a banger, go pick up Dwight Howard or somebody like that. Priority should be finding a younger diamond in the rough though.

Id be interested to take a flier on him. He's got 3 point range and can protect the rim, like a poor man's Myles Turner who he actually got buried behind in Indiana.

He's only 23 so I'd be very interested in giving him a shot, especially if Clax will be out a while with the hamstring.

If he clears waivers, sure. I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs claim him off waivers.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#28 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:14 am

sashaturiaf wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:

Wait, what? Why isn't he signed already???

GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#29 » by GYK » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:38 am

NetsWorld wrote:
GYK wrote:04 Pistons had Ben Wallace. Arguably the GREATEST defensive player ever. Certainly anchored a playoff run that was all time.
So unless you think someone is on par with Ben Wallace I’ll say homer thinking.
Stop praising Marks.
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=Ebb6n_SLZ2YQ-DQ5pwMlVg

We were not winning with KD/Siakam, hate to break it to you; and it's not homer thinking to try and hypothesize ways this team can take a big strength on the defensive end with multiple defenders being able to defend and switch and strangle teams the way the 04 Pistons used to do. Who is to say the Nets cannot develop an anchor for that; things may not always work out the way you want but you have to be optimistic. The biggest positive takeaway from Marks interview yesterday was he said it's not a complete rebuild and the goal was to win a championship. He also stated his goal is to use the picks as assets/flexibility. This is not your typical star trade of the past where the Nets go in purgatory for the next 10 years.... THOSE DAYS ARE LONG GONE.

Oh y’all accepted purgatory for the next 10. Ah. Ok. I get it. Yea greatest defense of all time loading.
GYK
General Manager

Post#30 » by GYK » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:45 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
GYK wrote:04 Pistons had Ben Wallace. Arguably the GREATEST defensive player ever. Certainly anchored a playoff run that was all time.
Stop praising Marks.
Read on Twitter

Toronto wasn't trading us Siakim. They don't want to rebuild.

And if they did it would have cost Claxton, Cam, Dallas pick, our other two first rounders.

Not at all worth it. Were not beating the best teams in the East without Claxton period.

Not to mention Siakim was horrific in the playoffs vs Boston last time.

This is the problem with KD. Hes a horrible GM. Hes obsessed with playing with "big names."

If he thought about the team he had was very good. And they could have made another move to get John Collins if KD agreed to stay.

Dinwddie/DFS/KD/Collins/Claxton

Plus we could have added Mo Bamba or Plumee off the bench.

An elite defensive team with shooters. Youre telling me that can't compete with anyone???

It would probably be better than the team with Siakim. But hes too short sighted.

He'd rather go crash and burn on another superteam with 40 year old Chris Paul.

Uh huh.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,046

Post#31 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:04 am

GYK wrote:
NetsWorld wrote:
Stop praising Marks.
Read on Twitter

We were not winning with KD/Siakam, hate to break it to you; and it's not homer thinking to try and hypothesize ways this team can take a big strength on the defensive end with multiple defenders being able to defend and switch and strangle teams the way the 04 Pistons used to do. Who is to say the Nets cannot develop an anchor for that; things may not always work out the way you want but you have to be optimistic. The biggest positive takeaway from Marks interview yesterday was he said it's not a complete rebuild and the goal was to win a championship. He also stated his goal is to use the picks as assets/flexibility. This is not your typical star trade of the past where the Nets go in purgatory for the next 10 years.... THOSE DAYS ARE LONG GONE.

Oh y’all accepted purgatory for the next 10. Ah. Ok. I get it. Yea greatest defense of all time loading.

Purgatory as compared to the great success we had with KD? :lol:

Dangelo Russell won more playoff games than he did last year.
sashaturiaf
Veteran

Post#32 » by sashaturiaf » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:14 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:

You know that reflects worse on Sean Marks and our front office than KD right? That's part of the reason I've been asking for Marks to be fired for months now.

If you can't even win 1 playoff game despite having KD on your team, that is an epic fail in roster construction. We were trotting out Bruce Brown as our 3rd tallest player vs Boston, what results did Marks expect.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#33 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:47 am

sashaturiaf wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

You know that reflects worse on Sean Marks and our front office than KD right? That's part of the reason I've been asking for Marks to be fired for months now.

If you can't even win 1 playoff game despite having KD on your team, that is an epic fail in roster construction. We were trotting out Bruce Brown as our 3rd tallest player vs Boston, what results did Marks expect.

The first year everyone got hurt. The second year Kyrie tanked the season by not getting vaccinated.

Thats hardly on roster construction.

Marks did a good job with the roster. He ceded far too much power to them from the start.

And he hired Nash. Those were two fatal mistakes.
GYK
General Manager

Post#34 » by GYK » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:49 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
GYK wrote:
NetsWorld wrote:

Ah yes D’Angelo Russell. Notoriously known for being a better playoff player than KD. Russell winning more than KD is on the organization. Having great players and prioritizing saving money(Tsai) and Joe Harris(Marks) should be your complaint.

Yes purgatory. With one common denominator. The worst front office in sports history.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,389

Post#35 » by Papi_swav » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:06 am

Stop praising Marks.
Read on Twitter

U right Ben is one of GOATs on defense. But Claxton is a top 5 defender in todays NBA and Bridges is not far behind him. Those are 2 really great defenders today, and then add in DFS, Simmons and O'neale , we have a crazy defense. But I agree, neither of them is on the level that Ben is but I don't think any other player ever was except for maybe Bill Russell or Rodman.

I understand what OP is getting at but in todays league superstars run the league now and this is what Adam Silvers NBA wants. There's a reason why some of these guys get the superstar foul calls. We have a great team of role player but we need at least one star to go with them so maybe next year. I think we can win a series depending on who's the matchup but it would be nice to upset some teams.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#36 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:46 am

GYK wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
GYK wrote:Oh y’all accepted purgatory for the next 10. Ah. Ok. I get it. Yea greatest defense of all time loading.

Ah yes D’Angelo Russell. Notoriously known for being a better playoff player than KD. Russell winning more than KD is on the organization. Having great players and prioritizing saving money(Tsai) and Joe Harris(Marks) should be your complaint.

Yes purgatory. With one common denominator. The worst front office in sports history.

Obviously hes not.

The point is Durant didn't win us ****. And he was never going too.

Youre angry at the front office when you should be angry at Kyrie for blowing up the whole **** team.

Forcing Durant to stay here when he didn't want to was not a realistic recipe for winning the Championship.

Your lack of understanding and lame attempt at sarcasm proves how utterly delusional you are.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,457

Post#37 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:52 am

I’m just really disappointed we have a thread talking about the ‘04 Pistons and we’re 37 posts in and not one mention of Sheed…

If Thorn would have traded Kmart for Sheed that deadline, things may have went very different.

Fun fact, I was at the one game Sheed played for the Hawks.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
sashaturiaf
Veteran

Post#38 » by sashaturiaf » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:24 pm

I'm excited about our defensive potential but 04 Pistons talk is way way too premature.

We need to be able to consistently get a defensive rebound first before we can call ourselves an elite defensive team even in today's league. Our collective length and switching scheme is elite at getting the stop, but getting the rebound is part of defense too....
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#39 » by Tha King » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:51 pm

I thought about those Pistons teams too lol

The thing with those Pistons teams though is all five starters were basically all star level or close to it, which is not this team. However, this group basically has 8 players that could start on some or all teams.

Claxton
Bridges
Cam Johnson
DFS
O'Neale
Dinwiddie
Simmons
Harris

along with Cam, Curry, and Yuta that would be part of any good bench.

So if Claxton can keep up his level of play (all star caliber), Bridges levels up a bit with an increased role (and CJ) then this team could be very interesting.
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,031

Post#40 » by NetsWorld » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:14 pm

Tha King wrote:I thought about those Pistons teams too lol

The thing with those Pistons teams though is all five starters were basically all star level or close to it, which is not this team. However, this group basically has 8 players that could start on some or all teams.

Claxton
Bridges
Cam Johnson
DFS
O'Neale
Dinwiddie
Simmons
Harris

along with Cam, Curry, and Yuta that would be part of any good bench.

So if Claxton can keep up his level of play (all star caliber), Bridges levels up a bit with an increased role (and CJ) then this team could be very interesting.

I got my eyes on Luka this Summer. I can’t see Kyrie staying in Dallas. He’s going to LA; Luka won’t want to stay on a team that was gutted. Luka would be perfect on our roster. And then in a year after that, we can snatch a JB in FA or trade assets to Boston.

Return to Brooklyn Nets