Ben's back is completely f*cked

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Re: Ben's back is completely f*cked 

Post#21 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:57 am

I hope he recovers and avoid long term life issues with his back. He needs to consider the alternatives away from bball

I'm a niner fan obviously and Dee Ford was our DE who could never get right dealing with back injuries. Same for another player of ours straight from the draft, never got on the field.

Ben is looking to go in that direction imo

Also, how da fuq he passed the physical to complete the trade. I hope we get off with the salary hit to some insurance policy
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,127

Post#22 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:31 am

CalamityX12 wrote:I hope he recovers and avoid long term life issues with his back. He needs to consider the alternatives away from bball

I'm a niner fan obviously and Dee Ford was our DE who could never get right dealing with back injuries. Same for another player of ours straight from the draft, never got on the field.

Also, how da fuq he passed the physical to complete the trade. I hope we get off with the salary hit to some insurance policy

I'm curious if the Nets waived his physical.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#23 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:55 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:I hope he recovers and avoid long term life issues with his back. He needs to consider the alternatives away from bball

I'm curious if the Nets waived his physical.

You know, I bet you that's what happened

Probably sixes waived off Harden too lol
The ModFather

sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,838

Post#24 » by sashaturiaf » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:46 pm

kuclas wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:Marks got fleeced on the Harden deal. Simmons is officially damaged goods that can't be traded.

The trade was essentially a James Harden for Seth Curry swap. :lol:

Harden was gonna to leave in off season anyways.

They got 2 unprotected first round picks (2022 or 2023 plus 2027) and Seth curry. That’s not a bad deal especially the 2027 unprotected pick.

Simmons injuries are weird at this point. He sits out a month and half with knee problems. And now as a back injury.

If a medical doctor orders enough tests on someone. Chances are they can find something wrong with your body.

Sorry but that was one of the worst trades in NBA history.

You had Harden with bird rights who you just gave up your entire future for less than 12 months prior, despite what he was posturing he was not going to turn down a full max deal if it was offered. The front office tried to get cute and completely lost their nerve when they found a MVP level player wasn't interested in playing their games.

So we've gone from Harden KD Kyrie locked up long term to whatever we have at the moment in a year's time. The Harden trade was THE trigger event for all of this
sashaturiaf
Veteran

Post#25 » by sashaturiaf » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:51 pm

Hardens value was Jarrett Allen, 2 decent role players and 7 unprotected picks and swaps when we got him.

Less than 1 year later we got for him the worst contract in the league, a minimum player in Drummond, Seth and 2 protected picks.

I know Harden got hurt but that's gotta be one of worst cases of mismanagement I've ever seen in the NBA. If you didn't believe in him enough to give him a full max why the **** did you give up JA and 7 picks!!

I have no idea how Marks still has his job, the only plausible explanation is that Tsai is even more incompetent than he is (which now I think he is, given how poorly he handled the KD Kyrie scenario)
sashaturiaf
Veteran

Post#26 » by sashaturiaf » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:57 pm

And Bens back is irrelevant. Even if he recovers fully physically he's still a heavily flawed player with no heart and confidence issues.

Not a winning player and shouldn't be part of our long term plans. Best case scenario he recovers physically puts up some numbers and we find a sucker to offload him to, most likely scenario is we just wait out his contract and vow never to mention this experiment again
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#27 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:11 pm

sashaturiaf wrote:
kuclas wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:Marks got fleeced on the Harden deal. Simmons is officially damaged goods that can't be traded.

The trade was essentially a James Harden for Seth Curry swap. :lol:

Harden was gonna to leave in off season anyways.

They got 2 unprotected first round picks (2022 or 2023 plus 2027) and Seth curry. That’s not a bad deal especially the 2027 unprotected pick.

Simmons injuries are weird at this point. He sits out a month and half with knee problems. And now as a back injury.

If a medical doctor orders enough tests on someone. Chances are they can find something wrong with your body.

You had Harden with bird rights who you just gave up your entire future for less than 12 months prior, despite what he was posturing he was not going to turn down a full max deal if it was offered. The front office tried to get cute and completely lost their nerve when they found a MVP level player wasn't interested in playing their games.

So we've gone from Harden KD Kyrie locked up long term to whatever we have at the moment in a year's time. The Harden trade was THE trigger event for all of this

IMO, the trigger event was Kyrie refusing to get vaccinated. That was the start of the end and threw the entire season into chaos.

The first Harden trade itself was a panic move after Kyrie started showing his ass by going AWOL.

All of the Nets' dysfunction falls at Kyrie, Marks, and Tsai's feet. Marks and Tsai should have never hired Nash, and they compounded that mistake with critical error after error. But Kyrie at the end of the day is the one who ruined all of this with his unprofessionalism.

TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#28 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:18 pm

sashaturiaf wrote:Hardens value was Jarrett Allen, 2 decent role players and 7 unprotected picks and swaps when we got him.

Less than 1 year later we got for him the worst contract in the league, a minimum player in Drummond, Seth and 2 protected picks.

I know Harden got hurt but that's gotta be one of worst cases of mismanagement I've ever seen in the NBA. If you didn't believe in him enough to give him a full max why the **** did you give up JA and 7 picks!!

I have no idea how Marks still has his job, the only plausible explanation is that Tsai is even more incompetent than he is (which now I think he is, given how poorly he handled the KD Kyrie scenario)

Simmons was not one of the worst contracts in the league when we traded Harden. Simmons was a a former RoY, All-NBA, All-Defense, All-star, etc. He had a history of back issues, but he was not assumed to be holding out because of his back. He was highly valued around the league. Nobody expected him to suffer a nerve impingement as he was working his way back into shape, have surgery, battle nagging injuries & then suffer another impingement that may require a 2nd surgery.

In hindsight we would have been better off requesting Tobias Harris or flipping Simmons for multiple role players instead, but nobody had reason to believe we weren't going to wind up with Philly Ben.

As far as Harden goes, we did offer him a full max extension. He turned it down.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#29 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:22 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:
kuclas wrote:Harden was gonna to leave in off season anyways.

IMO, the trigger event was Kyrie refusing to get vaccinated. That was the start of the end and threw the entire season into chaos.

The first Harden trade itself was a panic move after Kyrie started showing his ass by going AWOL.

All of the Nets' dysfunction falls at Kyrie, Marks, and Tsai's feet. Marks and Tsai should have never hired Nash, and they compounded that mistake with critical error after error. But Kyrie at the end of the day is the one who ruined all of this with his unprofessionalism.

It wasn't just a panic move. It was reported that KD & Harden facetimed Tsai to convince him to trade for Harden. They manipulated an over-ambitious owner & undercut the GM. Marks is probably at worst 5th on the blame list that has Kyrie as the clear cut #1 with Tsai & Durant as a debatable 2 & 3.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#30 » by gigantes » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:41 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:Sorry but that was one of the worst trades in NBA history.

It wasn't just a panic move. It was reported that KD & Harden facetimed Tsai to convince him to trade for Harden. They manipulated an over-ambitious owner & undercut the GM. Marks is probably at worst 5th on the blame list that has Kyrie as the clear cut #1 with Tsai & Durant as a debatable 2 & 3.

And what an awful look, if so.

These guys explained that the reason they chose BRK is because they liked the culture and the players assembled here, presumably believing that with their addition they're now a title-worthy team.

So of course, not even one month in to Durant's return, he & Kyrie are complaining to Tsai that they need major help, thereby resulting in Marks overpursuing & overpaying for Harden when HOU was the one who was stuck needing to unload him. And just like that, so much of our future draft assets were gone, as well as losing Fro & some other decent players who were 'good enough until they weren't' for the proud KD&KI duo.

Kyrie gets a lot of heat rightly so, but IMO Durant really let the Nets down when it came to his part in leadership and putting his money where his mouth was. Yes, credit to him for playing the games and all, but that was only part of his responsibility.
sashaturiaf
Veteran

Post#31 » by sashaturiaf » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:38 pm

gigantes wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:IMO, the trigger event was Kyrie refusing to get vaccinated. That was the start of the end and threw the entire season into chaos.

These guys explained that the reason they chose BRK is because they liked the culture and the players assembled here, presumably believing that with their addition they're now a title-worthy team.

So of course, not even one month in to Durant's return, he & Kyrie are complaining to Tsai that they need major help, thereby resulting in Marks overpursuing & overpaying for Harden when HOU was the one who was stuck needing to unload him. And just like that, so much of our future draft assets were gone, as well as losing Fro & some other decent players who were 'good enough until they weren't' for the proud KD&KI duo.

Kyrie gets a lot of heat rightly so, but IMO Durant really let the Nets down when it came to his part in leadership and putting his money where his mouth was. Yes, credit to him for playing the games and all, but that was only part of his responsibility.

KD played at a MVP level for us but his leadership was lackluster to nonexistent.

I'm not saying he's not a leader since we all saw his presence on court alone gave the role players a lot more confidence and elevated our team, but his brand of let Kyrie be Kyrie and let James be James off court leadership ended up in disaster for us.

Our head coach along with our best player and leader facilitated a no feelings hurt culture at the team which was run like an elementary school in 2023. It certainly helped Kyrie connect spiritually with his ancestors on the job but didn't do much in terms of helping us win.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,428

Post#32 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:10 am

Small point of order in the max extension that we offered: it wouldn't have been quite as large as his potential max contract by becoming an unrestricted free agent. It's a moot point, because he took less money than either option in the end. Seems like he wanted out of here badly.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#33 » by gigantes » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:34 am

sashaturiaf wrote:
gigantes wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:It wasn't just a panic move. It was reported that KD & Harden facetimed Tsai to convince him to trade for Harden. They manipulated an over-ambitious owner & undercut the GM. Marks is probably at worst 5th on the blame list that has Kyrie as the clear cut #1 with Tsai & Durant as a debatable 2 & 3.

KD played at a MVP level for us but his leadership was lackluster to nonexistent.

I'm not saying he's not a leader since we all saw his presence on court alone gave the role players a lot more confidence and elevated our team, but his brand of let Kyrie be Kyrie and let James be James off court leadership ended up in disaster for us.

Our head coach along with our best player and leader facilitated a no feelings hurt culture at the team which was run like an elementary school in 2023. It certainly helped Kyrie connect spiritually with his ancestors on the job but didn't do much in terms of helping us win.

TBH, I also feel like I'm falling in to an obvious trap when I evaluate KD's leadership the way that it would work for... roughly 99% of people who aren't corporate CEO's or big stars.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#34 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:48 pm

Read on Twitter

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#35 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:26 pm

me before the Simmons is out announcement in the regular season:

me after the Simmons is out announcement:
The ModFather

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#36 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:45 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:me before the Simmons is out announcement in the regular season:

yeah i mean, we knew this was coming :lol: :-?

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#37 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:56 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:me before the Simmons is out announcement in the regular season:

yeah i mean, we knew this was coming :lol: :-?

Lol like ok??? Who didn't see this coming?
The ModFather

Eatgreenz
Senior
And1: 317

Post#38 » by Eatgreenz » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:07 pm

Read on Twitter

So he should make a full recovery with no surgery thats a positive note. I still got belief in Ben, that this full recovery is him getting his complete athleticism back. Next season could be revenge tour for Ben, could be that star we are looking for.
njnets62892
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#39 » by njnets62892 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:27 pm

Expecting anything from him going forward is a fool's errand. I wrote him off as being part of this team's future months ago.

All you can hope is that he can just stay on the floor most of next year so the expiring contract has some value after next season. The amount of assets you would have to give up to move him this offseason is not worth it.
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,405

Post#40 » by Marvin Martian » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:28 pm

Eatgreenz wrote:
Read on Twitter

So he should make a full recovery with no surgery thats a positive note. I still got belief in Ben, that this full recovery is him getting his complete athleticism back. Next season could be revenge tour for Ben, could be that star we are looking for.

The chances of that happening is 0%. We literally have the DPOY runner up last year, Claxton and several plus defenders on the wings.

The problem of this team is on offense, not defense. And Simmons, even when healthy, was a massive negative on that end.

Return to Brooklyn Nets