ImageImageImageImageImage

Poll-dilocks! Which Star Guard Is Coming to Brooklyn?

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,127

Re: Poll-dilocks! Which Star Guard Is Coming to Brooklyn? 

Post#21 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 4, 2023 12:42 pm

Tha King wrote:Player A: 9.5ppg - 8.6rpg - 8.3apg - 1.8spg (42 games)
Player B: 15.9ppg - 8.0rpg - 7.7apg - 1.8spg (58 games)

----------------
The above is Simmons this season (A) per 36 compared to his last season with the Sixers (B) when he was an all star. The rebounding and playmaking is still there and while his defense was inconsistent, he's still the best POA defender on the team.

I know you can't really plan a team with him penciled in as a contributor but it was interesting how comparable his season was statistically in some regards to prior years for him, even with how he played at times and looked athletically. Clearly he's one of the worst contracts in the league and not a max player but when you actually breakdown what this team needs, Simmons in the rotation helps most of that. Doesn't even need to be a starter, just a consistent part of the rotation.

POA defender
Playmaker
Rebounding
Lead Scorer

Part of me would love to field a backcourt of Simmons and Bridges but I'm over it.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,406

Post#22 » by Marvin Martian » Tue Apr 4, 2023 1:15 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:Patience should prevail

Unless a lopsided offer was accepted, no need to push into mediocrity yet, stay vigil for a real impact addition

Can't push a team into mediocrity when they are already mediocre
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,938

Post#23 » by Karate Diop » Tue Apr 4, 2023 6:04 pm

All-Star, DPOY candidate Ben Simmons is coming.

(I can will this into existence with enough posts, right?)
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#24 » by Paradise » Tue Apr 4, 2023 10:51 pm

Papi_swav wrote:I think Cam J should be available, he's too inconsistent and Bridges does what he does 2 times better.

SGA should be priority #1. He is THAT guy. Him with Bridges and Claxton will make our defense elite and he's a top scorer in the league. He's an All NBA talent already and he's still young. He'll likely cost most of our picks if not all, but I don't think OKC trades him anyway. I think they would like to see him play and grow with Chet first.

Zach Lavine should be right after SGA. He's played incredible for years on the Bulls. I thought he was falling off the way he started the year off but it seems like he was coming back from injury and he still efficient even with some of his athleticism going away. He's a gifted scorer and he's actually a good 1 on 1 defender, and he's still under 30 so he fits the timeline. I just wouldn't want to trade every single pick we have for him. but he's a guy I think we can get with the Bulls not looking to good now. A trade of Cam J, Cam T and 3 picks I'll be ok with. But if it's over that than no thanks. I don't believe in getting rid of every pick we have like we did with Harden.

Dame I'm kinda torn on. Yes he would be awesome right now but for how long? He's already over 30 and getting injured so how much of his prime does he have left? And we definitely can't get rid of all our assets for a soon to be over the hill player. Reminds me of the Dwill, Pierce & KG, Harden trades. They left a bad taste in my mouth but I'm leaning towards no on Dame.

Absolutely NO on Trae Young, Beal, McCollum, Poole and Herro. They can produce and put up good numbers but I don't see them as winning players at all. The Wiz are actually better without Beal. Trae Young had one great year where he reached the ECF and hasn't done much since. McCollum is ehh, gettind old and isn't even an all star talent. Poole and Herro are guys that takes alot of shots, I think Cam Thomas can play almost as good as them if giving the minutes and he's much cheaper than them and won't have to give up assets for a high volume scorer. All these guys are overpaid and just doesn't equate enough to winning ball.

Cam is Mikal’s best friend, that would be a poor start to a long team relationship.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,389

Post#25 » by Papi_swav » Wed Apr 5, 2023 3:05 am

Paradise wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:I think Cam J should be available, he's too inconsistent and Bridges does what he does 2 times better.

SGA should be priority #1. He is THAT guy. Him with Bridges and Claxton will make our defense elite and he's a top scorer in the league. He's an All NBA talent already and he's still young. He'll likely cost most of our picks if not all, but I don't think OKC trades him anyway. I think they would like to see him play and grow with Chet first.

Zach Lavine should be right after SGA. He's played incredible for years on the Bulls. I thought he was falling off the way he started the year off but it seems like he was coming back from injury and he still efficient even with some of his athleticism going away. He's a gifted scorer and he's actually a good 1 on 1 defender, and he's still under 30 so he fits the timeline. I just wouldn't want to trade every single pick we have for him. but he's a guy I think we can get with the Bulls not looking to good now. A trade of Cam J, Cam T and 3 picks I'll be ok with. But if it's over that than no thanks. I don't believe in getting rid of every pick we have like we did with Harden.

Dame I'm kinda torn on. Yes he would be awesome right now but for how long? He's already over 30 and getting injured so how much of his prime does he have left? And we definitely can't get rid of all our assets for a soon to be over the hill player. Reminds me of the Dwill, Pierce & KG, Harden trades. They left a bad taste in my mouth but I'm leaning towards no on Dame.

Absolutely NO on Trae Young, Beal, McCollum, Poole and Herro. They can produce and put up good numbers but I don't see them as winning players at all. The Wiz are actually better without Beal. Trae Young had one great year where he reached the ECF and hasn't done much since. McCollum is ehh, gettind old and isn't even an all star talent. Poole and Herro are guys that takes alot of shots, I think Cam Thomas can play almost as good as them if giving the minutes and he's much cheaper than them and won't have to give up assets for a high volume scorer. All these guys are overpaid and just doesn't equate enough to winning ball.

Cam is Mikal’s best friend, that would be a poor start to a long team relationship.

No it wouldn't, it's a business and the point is to make the best team possible going forward. Bridges is a big boy, he'll get over it. The NBA isn't suppose to be ran on ppls feelings, this is why the NBA is in the soft place its in now. This is why we're in the spot we're in now, because we gave the keys to 2 big cry babies and they tried to burn the whole franchise to the ground because they didn't get their way. Team>feelings . Bridges already does what CJ does but 2X better
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,127

Post#26 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Apr 5, 2023 11:21 am

Papi_swav wrote:
Paradise wrote:

No it wouldn't, it's a business and the point is to make the best team possible going forward. Bridges is a big boy, he'll get over it. The NBA isn't suppose to be ran on ppls feelings, this is why the NBA is in the soft place its in now. This is why we're in the spot we're in now, because we gave the keys to 2 big cry babies and they tried to burn the whole franchise to the ground because they didn't get their way. Team>feelings . Bridges already does what CJ does but 2X better

I look at it a bit differently.

If CJ was to be retained at 18 per, i have no issue with that as long as Ben's contract is off the books. Til that happens, i don't think it's sensible to retain him at that cost.

CJ is a good player and his numbers as a Net are pretty good, but he's not someone you pay top dollar for when this roster has multiple needs.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#27 » by Tha King » Wed Apr 5, 2023 5:48 pm

If you don't have a superstar I think the other way to compete is to have a starting five built around multi-dimensional players and I don't think CJ fits into that. He'd be a great fit on a variety of other teams though.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#28 » by Paradise » Wed Apr 5, 2023 8:26 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
Paradise wrote:

He’s not some scrub. He has been improving every single season of his career prior to the trade and he could take a leap next season. It would be a poor taste move to let him go as a RFA rather than developing him. I would be pissed if he gets a decent RFA contract and we let him go.

We have no excuse not to re-sign him. He easily can be a Joe Harris replacement.

Bridges is our main option and star. Giving him good complement guys around him is just illogical. We are a Star/ borderline PG or combo guard scorer away from a contender as currently constructed with Mikal, CJ, O’Neale, DFS and Claxton. Dinwiddie and Cam will simply need to consider a more realistic contract. That’s all. Both fill needs but not as much usage as right now.

We will address other areas of growth in the draft. This current team needs consistency and faith.
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,406

Post#29 » by Marvin Martian » Wed Apr 5, 2023 8:53 pm

Cam Johnson is an offensive liability because all he can do is 3 and D. Other teams can hide their weakest defender on Cam and he won't be able to do anything. If he switched up against a big he does not have the handles to get past him. He has no midrange game so he get spooked and gives the ball up early on a drive if there is any kind of big man in the paint.

Modern NBA is about positionless basketball. Where everyone can dribble, pass, shoot and defend. Players who can't do all of these things will get exploited in the playoffs. Cam is just not a good fit right now. If Marks somehow manages to get a quality guard by flipping Simmons and Cam T, then resigning Cam J would make some sense. Otherwise, this will be a bottom 10 offense next season
Born_Ready
Veteran
And1: 476

Post#30 » by Born_Ready » Wed Apr 5, 2023 11:35 pm

I can tell you right now Sam Presti is not letting SGA out of Oklahoma. Brooklyn doesn’t have any assets that Presti would want because he has picks for days, and talent all around. I don’t see anyone, even Mikal that he would request, but that’s just my opinion. I think it’s best to look elsewhere because SGA is very unrealistic.

Someone mentioned Lamelo. That’s probably unrealistic, too, but I like the idea a lot. Also FVV isn’t an all star but he would be an upgrade over any PG the team currently holds in my opinion.

The off-season should be fun!
OKC Thunder fan, too.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,389

Post#31 » by Papi_swav » Thu Apr 6, 2023 2:57 am

Paradise wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
Paradise wrote:Cam is Mikal’s best friend, that would be a poor start to a long team relationship.

He’s not some scrub. He has been improving every single season of his career prior to the trade and he could take a leap next season. It would be a poor taste move to let him go as a RFA rather than developing him. I would be pissed if he gets a decent RFA contract and we let him go.

We have no excuse not to re-sign him. He easily can be a Joe Harris replacement.

Bridges is our main option and star. Giving him good complement guys around him is just illogical. We are a Star/ borderline PG or combo guard scorer away from a contender as currently constructed with Mikal, CJ, O’Neale, DFS and Claxton. Dinwiddie and Cam will simply need to consider a more realistic contract. That’s all. Both fill needs but not as much usage as right now.

We will address other areas of growth in the draft. This current team needs consistency and faith.

I never said to let him walk in FA. I said we should look to sign and trade him, if not then trade him down the line for a better roster fit. But ofcourse we keep him now, he's one of the young assets we got for KD.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#32 » by GTR11 » Thu Apr 6, 2023 7:06 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
Paradise wrote:Cam is Mikal’s best friend, that would be a poor start to a long team relationship.

I look at it a bit differently.

If CJ was to be retained at 18 per, i have no issue with that as long as Ben's contract is off the books. Til that happens, i don't think it's sensible to retain him at that cost.

CJ is a good player and his numbers as a Net are pretty good, but he's not someone you pay top dollar for when this roster has multiple needs.

1- not happening, he already rejected such offer that even looked more lucrative.
2- only way not to mess up cap space and mismanage our asset situation, is to let Ben take time and get healthy. We can kick tires on Ben for DeRozen trade simply because apparently him and LaVine ain't that cool with each other. Than we asking ourselves at what cost. Ben by far considered to be worst contract ( well Tragic facing same issue with Isaac but they got time and not exactly NYC ). We got no choice but to pay CamJ. Hopefully it won't turn into Joe 2.0 and guy actually will improve/produce. Than we talking about legit asset that van be flipped.

Me, I think all of us here need to calm down and wait on Ben. If/when healthy he fixes everything most here asking for and will give some more. Guy is only 25yo. His body still young and can recover. He only need some time for a full rehab to be 100 again.
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 660

Post#33 » by NetsJets » Sat Apr 8, 2023 3:33 am

LaVine, Beal and McCollum are the most realistic options on that list and between them I’d prefer Beal. The guy on that list that intrigues me is Poole. Him getting his own team and the green light to be the guy I can see him taking a giant leap.

Return to Brooklyn Nets