ImageImageImageImageImage

the new new era 2.0 - post deadline discussion

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Riconet
Sophomore
And1: 128

Re: the new new era 2.0 - post deadline discussion 

Post#201 » by Riconet » Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:51 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:How is everyone feeling about post ASB? Excited? Indifferent?

I kinda feel underwhelmed honestly. I'll probably gain some excitement back once we see the guys back on the court, but I feel like we're an after thought now and nothing really matters this season.

I am looking forward to the games. I like this team and I think they will play a lot of competitive, exciting games.

The Nets aren't contenders, but I don't think they were contenders pre-deadline, because no team that relies on Kyrie can be a real contender. But they have a good shot at holding on to #5 in the EC, or even improving to #4, and that first-round playoff series will be really exciting.
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,031

Post#202 » by NetsWorld » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:14 pm

Riconet wrote:
NetsWorld wrote:
I wonder if the Nets can get rid of Ben, if they attach two picks, they lose assets unless the trade yields a solid star, perhaps an SGA, but Ben has to go to a team that really believes in him and will give him a no pressure environment. Would Detroit get involved in a trade? They have a bunch of young players he can thrive with; A fairy tale and dream scenario would be a Nets-OKC-Detroit trade sending SGA or Chet to us. I think Nets should do whatever they can to go after Holmgrem. Yes, he had a major foot injury but OKC might be willing to pull the trigger on that trade while we can help Chet recover and perhaps, he can become our new KD.

I think the Nets can get rid of Simmons for something in the range of 2 first-rounders, but there is zero possibility that they get anything good back in that kind of trade. There is also zero possibility that OKC trades either SGA or Holmgren full stop, let alone for Simmons.

I never said trade Simmons to OKC, I indicated Detroit as a potential landing spot where he can benefit in a no pressure environment. Nets don't have time for him or a role for him anymore with the trade we made; As far as OKC, they are the perfect trade partner beause Presti loves dem picks. Nets have a plethora of picks and expiring contracts they can trade to OKC for Holmgrem or SGA. SGA has already voiced his frustration and I don't think OKC is going to be winning anytime soon. Holmgrem is a player the Nets should try and look into considering he has huge potential and you wonder how confident OKC is in him after his injury. Nets are known to take on injury laden players and not only turn their careers around but help develop them. Chet is the type of player I would want on this team who can become a 30 PPG guy and near Un guardable.
Riconet
Sophomore
And1: 128

Post#203 » by Riconet » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:51 pm

NetsWorld wrote:
I never said trade Simmons to OKC, I indicated Detroit as a potential landing spot where he can benefit in a no pressure environment. Nets don't have time for him or a role for him anymore with the trade we made; As far as OKC, they are the perfect trade partner beause Presti loves dem picks. Nets have a plethora of picks and expiring contracts they can trade to OKC for Holmgrem or SGA. SGA has already voiced his frustration and I don't think OKC is going to be winning anytime soon. Holmgrem is a player the Nets should try and look into considering he has huge potential and you wonder how confident OKC is in him after his injury. Nets are known to take on injury laden players and not only turn their careers around but help develop them. Chet is the type of player I would want on this team who can become a 30 PPG guy and near Un guardable.

OK, but if the Nets are giving up Simmons and 2 picks, they aren't getting anything back other than the cap space (which is a significant asset). They certainly aren't getting back a guy like SGA or Holmgren, regardless of how many teams are involved or how funky the structure is.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,127

Post#204 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:21 pm

Riconet wrote:
NetsWorld wrote:
I wonder if the Nets can get rid of Ben, if they attach two picks, they lose assets unless the trade yields a solid star, perhaps an SGA, but Ben has to go to a team that really believes in him and will give him a no pressure environment. Would Detroit get involved in a trade? They have a bunch of young players he can thrive with; A fairy tale and dream scenario would be a Nets-OKC-Detroit trade sending SGA or Chet to us. I think Nets should do whatever they can to go after Holmgrem. Yes, he had a major foot injury but OKC might be willing to pull the trigger on that trade while we can help Chet recover and perhaps, he can become our new KD.

I think the Nets can get rid of Simmons for something in the range of 2 first-rounders, but there is zero possibility that they get anything good back in that kind of trade. There is also zero possibility that OKC trades either SGA or Holmgren full stop, let alone for Simmons.

It's not worth it. I say we need to rehab Ben as a basketball player and stick with him until his contract becomes an expiring asset.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#205 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:22 pm

Riconet wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:How is everyone feeling about post ASB? Excited? Indifferent?

I kinda feel underwhelmed honestly. I'll probably gain some excitement back once we see the guys back on the court, but I feel like we're an after thought now and nothing really matters this season.

I am looking forward to the games. I like this team and I think they will play a lot of competitive, exciting games.

The Nets aren't contenders, but I don't think they were contenders pre-deadline, because no team that relies on Kyrie can be a real contender. But they have a good shot at holding on to #5 in the EC, or even improving to #4, and that first-round playoff series will be really exciting.

If Mikal Bridges and Cam Thomas can take a step forward over these next 20+ games, I think that bodes well for us.

gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#206 » by gigantes » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:42 pm

I feel like the Nets dodged some bullets and got a fine return for KD&KI, but that doesn't mean I don't feel a bit glum in the wake of it all. It's strange, because I didn't feel like the Nets were real contenders anyway, but still... BRK no longer has star power, and can't even pretend to be a wannabe contender. I guess that stuff meant more to me than I realised.

And somehow even after the trades, the team *still* doesn't have a true PG, which always frustrates me.

But all that bitched, it's now a time of curiosity and watching some good young players develop. As a bonus, if they can hold together a decent playoff slot and give some team a good battle in the first round, I'll be happy enough. Or daring to dare-- an actual 1st round victory would be awesome, and a glorious middle finger to the stars who couldn't get it done here.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#207 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:56 am

NetsWorld wrote:
Riconet wrote:
NetsWorld wrote:

I would Houston John Wall him before attaching assets to move him. You don't pay to move a guy until you need that salary slot for something.

Let him play. Let him work his way back. He's close in age to the twins. Maybe they help him settle in and find some joy in basketball again. There's no rush to pay to dump him.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#208 » by MGrand15 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:12 am

I'm a little worried about the rotations but I'm excited. We have way more talent than people think. Once we get that chemistry, I think we're going to be a problem.
NetsWorld
Starter

Post#209 » by NetsWorld » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:27 am

The Trae Young rumors are already popping up. Does Atlanta have a fire sale and we trade for Murray and Young or Young/Capela. Even though Young is not popular, he unlocks everything at the PG position and we can move away from Ben.
Eatgreenz
Senior
And1: 317

Post#210 » by Eatgreenz » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:54 am

NetsWorld wrote:The Trae Young rumors are already popping up. Does Atlanta have a fire sale and we trade for Murray and Young or Young/Capela. Even though Young is not popular, he unlocks everything at the PG position and we can move away from Ben.

How is trae's character? Feel like after this kyrie era, Marks and crew are aiming for high character star players.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,389

Post#211 » by Papi_swav » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:13 am

NetsWorld wrote:The Trae Young rumors are already popping up. Does Atlanta have a fire sale and we trade for Murray and Young or Young/Capela. Even though Young is not popular, he unlocks everything at the PG position and we can move away from Ben.

hard pass on Trae
MaxZaslofskyJr
Rookie
And1: 671
Location: Teaneck, Long Island, Piscataway, Meadowlands, Newark, Brooklyn

Post#212 » by MaxZaslofskyJr » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:51 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
MaxZaslofskyJr wrote:
MaxZaslofskyJr wrote:

Agree to some extent. But can't help but wonder whether Vaughn and staff have tried that in practice (lately) and, if so, what they have seen. In any case, that's the place to start determining his possible role imho. Then take it from there.

I do think that a successful Simmons (and also Cam Thomas) is/are the keys to the Nets being surprising.

In order for Ben to play the role he played in Philly he needs to attack the basket in transition and half court. He seems like he's physically incapable of getting past anyone off the dribble.

Well, sure. That his body has to be 100% is a given.
Les Selvage pioneered today's "modern basketball" in 1967.
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,405

Post#213 » by Marvin Martian » Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:16 am

Eatgreenz wrote:

How is trae's character? Feel like after this kyrie era, Marks and crew are aiming for high character star players.

Trae's character can't be any worse than Ky.

Brooklyn became respectable when they brought low on players no one wanted. Trae's stock is down. Ben plus a pick could get it done. Throw in Thomas if needed (I think he sucks BTW). These are the type of deals that made Marks look like a genius before the Kyrie era.
NetsWorld
Starter

Post#214 » by NetsWorld » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:13 pm

Papi_swav wrote:

hard pass on Trae

Trae and Capela really unlock this team. Imagine Capela coming off the bench providing 11 RPG. Trae would be a facilitator. Ben is just beyond done it’s not even funny. Maybe him deleting his Instagram will help him turn around the second half of the season, I don’t know. But the Nets are aiming to stay competitive. Young just needs to get stronger. If not Young, Murray works for me but he isn’t a star that gets you over the top. BTW, ScoopB is reporting Kyrie has the Suns as a destination so that may open things up with Luka. If Luka becomes available, you best believe Nets will jump on that.
Ball4life32
Analyst
And1: 2,504

Post#215 » by Ball4life32 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:28 pm

Marvin Martian wrote:
Eatgreenz wrote:

Trae's character can't be any worse than Ky.

Brooklyn became respectable when they brought low on players no one wanted. Trae's stock is down. Ben plus a pick could get it done. Throw in Thomas if needed (I think he sucks BTW). These are the type of deals that made Marks look like a genius before the Kyrie era.

Hawks would not even pick up the phone if that was the offer and I’m pretty sure the hawks did not fire their coach to have a fire sale. They are going to want to see how their teams look with a new staff before making any big moves.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#216 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:05 pm

gigantes wrote:

I feel like the Nets dodged some bullets and got a fine return for KD&KI, but that doesn't mean I don't feel a bit glum in the wake of it all. It's strange, because I didn't feel like the Nets were real contenders anyway, but still... BRK no longer has star power, and can't even pretend to be a wannabe contender. I guess that stuff meant more to me than I realised.

And somehow even after the trades, the team *still* doesn't have a true PG, which always frustrates me.

But all that bitched, it's now a time of curiosity and watching some good young players develop. As a bonus, if they can hold together a decent playoff slot and give some team a good battle in the first round, I'll be happy enough. Or daring to dare-- an actual 1st round victory would be awesome, and a glorious middle finger to the stars who couldn't get it done here.

KD and Kyrie brought us few good memories and a lot of misery. I won't miss them.

Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#217 » by Keith Van Horn » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:32 pm

Definitely excited. It's a new era, new feelings, and a little bit of a throwback to the 2018-19 days. I like the freshness and energy this team is giving off. I'm praying we get our ducks in order come offseason time with CJ and whatever it is we're doing with Ben.

But still depressed about losing KD and our championship aspirations. Upset at Kyrie for not figuring his **** out. We could have been so good... as Zach Lowe says, we were "The best hypothetical team of all time".

I still can't believe how it all fell apart. We had Kevin Durant! Just, damn. And yeah, he was rehabbing his first year and we lost to the Bucks in the playoffs in that amazing series where so much was working against us (Joe going cold, Harden playing through injury, Kyrie getting stepped on...), and while last year was embarrassing losing to the Celtics in 4, we have to remember the point differential was the LOWEST ever in a sweep and we just had a ton of bad breaks. And the Celtics went on the the Finals... I bet if we simulate that series again the Nets come out on top. Coaching had been very inconsistent with Nash too, so let's throw some blame there.

But I'm sure I'll get over it eventually. I love my Nets, I love the pregame shows, postgame stuff, just a lifer. I miss Grady too. :lol:

Excited for the game tonight!
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 660

Post#218 » by NetsJets » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:44 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=x6k9GadNfZ3AQa2VbJ-xeA
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 220

Post#219 » by ChuckS » Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:17 pm

NetsJets wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=x6k9GadNfZ3AQa2VbJ-xeA

I'm having trouble believing that. Has anyone there heard anything from a team source?

I understand and agree with Seth in the rotation, and Royce plays big, but we would have no size after the starters except for Yuta and Sharpe. We would be compounding a current weakness. That would only make sense if Ben could worsen his physical problems.

ESPN lists him as day to day.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#220 » by Keith Van Horn » Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:39 pm

I'm absolutely picking up the phone to see about Trae, especially if we can move Ben in the process.

Return to Brooklyn Nets