ImageImageImageImageImage

Sean Marks and Jacque Vaughn should be fired.

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Riconet
Sophomore
And1: 128

Re: Sean Marks and Jacque Vaughn should be fired. 

Post#241 » by Riconet » Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:42 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:So apparently the Heat offered Herro and multiple picks for Kyrie before he was traded to Dallas per Shams.

Don’t know how to feel about that until the pick protections and exactly which picks they were, are revealed.

That 2029 Dallas pick is honestly a great lottery ticket, but this feels like Marks overrating good somewhat older vets over draft capital and a good young player again, and/or Tsai and KD forcing his hand.

Herro is good, not great, but he’s an efficient 20/5/4 guy on a contender who isn’t necessarily even a finished product, locked up for years.

Add in multiple picks depending on protections and this is a head scratcher for sure.

Definitely feels like rich guy Tsai egomaniacal bravado again, not wanting to send Kyrie to his 2nd choice team, in conference.

Some of these doofus’s cannot stay out of their own way and let the people they hire to make basketball decisions do their job properly smh…

That is not what Shams said. He said the Heat made an offer for Kyrie at the deadline, but gave zero specifics as to what the offer was.

Later in the interview, when discussing moves the Heat might make this summer, he said they have assets to use in trade, including Herro and several picks.

Here is the clip:
Read on Twitter
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,457

Post#242 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:52 pm

Riconet wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:So apparently the Heat offered Herro and multiple picks for Kyrie before he was traded to Dallas per Shams.

Don’t know how to feel about that until the pick protections and exactly which picks they were, are revealed.

That 2029 Dallas pick is honestly a great lottery ticket, but this feels like Marks overrating good somewhat older vets over draft capital and a good young player again, and/or Tsai and KD forcing his hand.

Herro is good, not great, but he’s an efficient 20/5/4 guy on a contender who isn’t necessarily even a finished product, locked up for years.

Add in multiple picks depending on protections and this is a head scratcher for sure.

Definitely feels like rich guy Tsai egomaniacal bravado again, not wanting to send Kyrie to his 2nd choice team, in conference.

Some of these doofus’s cannot stay out of their own way and let the people they hire to make basketball decisions do their job properly smh…

That is not what Shams said. He said the Heat made an offer for Kyrie at the deadline, but gave zero specifics as to what the offer was.

Later in the interview, when discussing moves the Heat might make this summer, he said they have assets to use in trade, including Herro and several picks.

Here is the clip:
Read on Twitter

I only read the blurb from Realgm Wiretap.

Have to wonder what the offer was.

Herro and their pick this year would have been an intriguing decision to make in place of the ultimately executed Dallas deal.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,406

Post#243 » by Marvin Martian » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:01 pm

Obviously Herro would have had to be involved in any Kyrie Deal. In hindsight, Marks should have taken it because at least Herro is young and has room to improve even though he is a 6th man at best. Dinwiddle and DFS were complete disasters. Maybe he though he could convince KD to stay by bringing in vets
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#244 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:13 pm

Marvin Martian wrote:Obviously Herro would have had to be involved in any Kyrie Deal. In hindsight, Marks should have taken it because at least Herro is young and has room to improve even though he is a 6th man at best. Dinwiddle and DFS were complete disasters. Maybe he though he could convince KD to stay by bringing in vets

Herro started all 67 games he played this season and put up an efficient 20/5.5/4.

Wouldn’t call Dinwiddie a disaster either. He was pretty damn good for us after the trade, was in a bad shooting slump though.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#245 » by GTR11 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:53 pm

Marvin Martian wrote:Obviously Herro would have had to be involved in any Kyrie Deal. In hindsight, Marks should have taken it because at least Herro is young and has room to improve even though he is a 6th man at best. Dinwiddle and DFS were complete disasters. Maybe he though he could convince KD to stay by bringing in vets

1. It's not secret at this point that Marks want several players that will be FA during next two off-seasons. Herro and his contract will eliminate any chance of signing them. You also gave him a grade.
2. Need a context as to why Mavs package is no brainer for us now. You have to include every aspect into it and plan that been sold to Tsai. Calling Din and DFS complete disasters is not saying anything. Beside Nic and Bridges everything else was/is disaster to say least. Herro was disasters too, and he played on one of the top culture teams. Let that sink in.
JKiddy
Sixth Man
And1: 329

Post#246 » by JKiddy » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:56 pm

The 2029 pick is super valuable. DFS can net you a 1st or 2 firsts possibly. Spencer can likely get you a 1st as well. Plus, Spencer and DFS can contribute more than Herro alone. Herro also cannot play defense. This is why Miami was able to do very well without him when they were hitting shots.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#247 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:03 pm

Why is that obvious? Kyrie was a depressed asset. Most likely the offer was something like Lowry & a pick. Even if Herro was offered, he's one dimensional, overpaid, & on a long-term, FA killing deal. Let's also not forget that the Kyrie trade happened before the KD trade, and there was also a what could fit best around KD component to the deal in case we couldn't get Phoenix to cave on everything we asked for in return for KD.

If Marks offered DFS+Dinwiddie for Herro, Riley would take it and run. Luckily, Marks won't do that.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#248 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:16 pm

JKiddy wrote:The 2029 pick is super valuable. DFS can net you a 1st or 2 firsts possibly. Spencer can likely get you a 1st as well. Plus, Spencer and DFS can contribute more than Herro alone. Herro also cannot play defense. This is why Miami was able to do very well without him when they were hitting shots.

I don’t know that DFS can get you one 1st, unless we’re talking like 23-30. He can probably get you a jump into the last 4 picks of the lottery from 21 or 22 though.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#249 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:19 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:

Why is that obvious? Kyrie was a depressed asset. Most likely the offer was something like Lowry & a pick. Even if Herro was offered, he's one dimensional, overpaid, & on a long-term, FA killing deal. Let's also not forget that the Kyrie trade happened before the KD trade, and there was also a what could fit best around KD component to the deal in case we couldn't get Phoenix to cave on everything we asked for in return for KD.

If Marks offered DFS+Dinwiddie for Herro, Riley would take it and run. Luckily, Marks won't do that.

Idk about all this, but as GTR alluded to, it’s neither here nor there, because Marks has his eye on FA the next two summers anyway and Herro’s contract would be cumbersome.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#250 » by Paradise » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:58 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
JKiddy wrote:The 2029 pick is super valuable. DFS can net you a 1st or 2 firsts possibly. Spencer can likely get you a 1st as well. Plus, Spencer and DFS can contribute more than Herro alone. Herro also cannot play defense. This is why Miami was able to do very well without him when they were hitting shots.

I don’t know that DFS can get you one 1st, unless we’re talking like 23-30. He can probably get you a jump into the last 4 picks of the lottery from 21 or 22 though.

He’s getting you a first round pick on draft day depending on the team. The Mavs want him back badly, the Bucks would take him, the Heat would take him, etc.

We could add a lot more picks but why do it if we are one of two teams front runners for Lillard?
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#251 » by gigantes » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:43 am

SBNation wrote:21. Brooklyn Nets- Noah Clowney, F/C, Alabama
Grade: B+

Clowney is young, raw, and oozing with upside if he can hit his ceiling. A 6’10 big man who will spend most of his time at the four but can also chip in at center, Clowney has the potential to be a floor-spacer on offense and supplemental shot-blocker on defense. While the long-term vision of him is enticing, he badly needs to add strength and continue to refine his technique at both ends of the floor.

22. Brooklyn Nets - Dariq Whitehead, G, Duke
Grade: B+

Whitehead was supposed to be a top-five pick coming into Duke, but an early-season foot injury slowed his momentum. While he didn’t look like the athletic rim-attacker he was supposed to be as a recruit, Whitehead remade his game as a shooter. The three-point shot was considered a question mark for Whitehead heading into college, but he knocked down 43 percent of his threes as a freshman. Whitehead just had another foot surgery which is really scary, but if he can regain his explosiveness this is a great upside pick by the Nets.

I really like the sound of these, i.e. high-upside picks.
They won't always work out of course, but the more picks like these you make, you're all but guaranteed to hit on some.

Marks has done it again, and this is why I can't stand it when people are so eager to trade our picks for whoever, clinging to the idea that we'll be a contender again with the right moves. Drafting is probably Marks greatest single skill, and I'm cool with him trading just about anybody for quality picks.
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 996

Post#252 » by Decipher » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:27 am

Happy with the draft but would be happier if we had a someone like Kenny to develop the players

Now need to move Spencer & DFS in FA
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#253 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:47 am

Decipher wrote:Happy with the draft but would be happier if we had a someone like Kenny to develop the players

We brought in a staff full of assistants known for development. That's their job.
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 220

Post#254 » by ChuckS » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:00 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
Decipher wrote:Happy with the draft but would be happier if we had a someone like Kenny to develop the players

We brought in a staff full of assistants known for development. That's their job.

I agree. I think it's myopic, or perhaps just overly nostalgic, to think Kenny is so unique. It also discounts the foresight of Marks, who saw the potential in the drafts.

In my opinion we have seven starting caliber players. I'm including Simmons because I believe he has too much size and talent, and I haven't given up on him yet. But I admit to being at a kind of "show me" stage.

And when I see a desire to move Spencer and DFS, I'm going to assume it's because they have potential in trade for a needed good big, and a high scoring threat. I wouldn't want it believed that they are unworthy of being on this current roster. Looking at it, I think that would be laughable.

I would normally love a power forward like DFS. He is a versatile and excellent defender with a career 36% three point average, who averaged two makes a game for the Mavs. But, in effect, he replaced KD who made up for Nic's offensive limitations while supplementing his rebounding and also being a good defender. On this team DFS would probably be best coming off the bench, able to guard anyone. I think we need more bulk and offense next to Claxton.

It's much the same with Dinwiddie. With no starting caliber point guard, he took over and averaged 9.1 assists to only 2.1 turnovers, while scoring 16.5 points. The ATO numbers and ratio are particularly awesome. We could do worse. For some he's considered perhaps more a combo guard than point, and for us he didn't shoot the 45/40% he did for Dallas. I will not argue, even if he comes off the bench as a sixth man. But as with DFS I keep him, unless he can be used to obtain a greater need.
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 996

Post#255 » by Decipher » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:11 pm

ChuckS wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:

I agree. I think it's myopic, or perhaps just overly nostalgic, to think Kenny is so unique. It also discounts the foresight of Marks, who saw the potential in the drafts.

In my opinion we have seven starting caliber players. I'm including Simmons because I believe he has too much size and talent, and I haven't given up on him yet. But I admit to being at a kind of "show me" stage.

And when I see a desire to move Spencer and DFS, I'm going to assume it's because they have potential in trade for a needed good big, and a high scoring threat. I wouldn't want it believed that they are unworthy of being on this current roster. Looking at it, I think that would be laughable.

I would normally love a power forward like DFS. He is a versatile and excellent defender with a career 36% three point average, who averaged two makes a game for the Mavs. But, in effect, he replaced KD who made up for Nic's offensive limitations while supplementing his rebounding and also being a good defender. On this team DFS would probably be best coming off the bench, able to guard anyone. I think we need more bulk and offense next to Claxton.

It's much the same with Dinwiddie. With no starting caliber point guard, he took over and averaged 9.1 assists to only 2.1 turnovers, while scoring 16.5 points. The ATO numbers and ratio are particularly awesome. We could do worse. For some he's considered perhaps more a combo guard than point, and for us he didn't shoot the 45/40% he did for Dallas. I will not argue, even if he comes off the bench as a sixth man. But as with DFS I keep him, unless he can be used to obtain a greater need.

Spencer is a 6th man/3rd guard on a decent team (see Dallas) and DFS is no different

We were a lottery team with them starting & both are expendable

Simmons is the great unknown as he’s by far our best player but may never be the same again
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 220

Post#256 » by ChuckS » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:40 pm

Decipher wrote:
Spencer is a 6th man/3rd guard on a decent team (see Dallas) and DFS is no different

We were a lottery team with them starting & both are expendable

Simmons is the great unknown as he’s by far our best player but may never be the same again

You are incorrect. Both were starters for Dallas. I read that Marks did not want Christian Wood who I wanted, hence DFS. I later suspected it might be because of the latter's attitude, but I am not sure. In any event, I more trust Marks' judgement regarding talent.

Neither is expendable while only Royce (absent Ben) is additional starter material on this team as currently constructed, IMO.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,080

Post#257 » by Netaman » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:50 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:

Idk about all this, but as GTR alluded to, it’s neither here nor there, because Marks has his eye on FA the next two summers anyway and Herro’s contract would be cumbersome.

this is relevant as things relate to portland/lillard though. since the poole trade it's hard for me to envision a scenario where herro has centerpiece value for portland. even if they like him i think his value is what it is because of the contract.

so with all the salary combinations the nets have to offer of portland's choosing on top of 3x as many firsts as miami, i dont see the nets dont get lillard if he asks out and they want him. im not sure what portland's plan is because they seem to be daring lillard to ask out, and in the process leaking their leverage since now miami has obviously used the 18th pick (which was their best asset). who knows how portland feels about jaquez (though he would be a pretty good fit there).
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#258 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:18 pm

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:Why is that obvious? Kyrie was a depressed asset. Most likely the offer was something like Lowry & a pick. Even if Herro was offered, he's one dimensional, overpaid, & on a long-term, FA killing deal. Let's also not forget that the Kyrie trade happened before the KD trade, and there was also a what could fit best around KD component to the deal in case we couldn't get Phoenix to cave on everything we asked for in return for KD.

this is relevant as things relate to portland/lillard though. since the poole trade it's hard for me to envision a scenario where herro has centerpiece value for portland. even if they like him i think his value is what it is because of the contract.

so with all the salary combinations the nets have to offer of portland's choosing on top of 3x as many firsts as miami, i dont see the nets dont get lillard if he asks out and they want him. im not sure what portland's plan is because they seem to be daring lillard to ask out, and in the process leaking their leverage since now miami has obviously used the 18th pick (which was their best asset). who knows how portland feels about jaquez (though he would be a pretty good fit there).

With Scoot, Sharpe & Simons in Portland, I don't think Herro makes a lot of sense for Portland. The question is whether Miami could get additional value for him to send to Portland. It will be interesting to see if a rebuilding team would want to roll the dice on Simmons for an extra year or if they would prefer straight expiring contracts.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#259 » by Claud » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:08 pm

I am still not over the Harden TRADES + Turning down 1st round picks for DFS, etc.

One of the positives is that Marks has been able to find good players late in the draft, but I am still not sure he's the guy we win a chip with.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#260 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:18 pm

Yeah, love to know the protections on those picks. How absolutely foolish if he turned down 2 likley conveyable firsts for DFS.

He’s one of the most overrated players in the league.

Return to Brooklyn Nets