Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Re: Perhaps, just perhaps, Marks is on to something..... HERE ME OUT 

Post#41 » by Tha King » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:32 pm

NetsWorld wrote:
Tha King wrote:I thought about those Pistons teams too lol

The thing with those Pistons teams though is all five starters were basically all star level or close to it, which is not this team. However, this group basically has 8 players that could start on some or all teams.

Claxton
Bridges
Cam Johnson
DFS
O'Neale
Dinwiddie
Simmons
Harris

along with Cam, Curry, and Yuta that would be part of any good bench.

So if Claxton can keep up his level of play (all star caliber), Bridges levels up a bit with an increased role (and CJ) then this team could be very interesting.

I got my eyes on Luka this Summer. I can’t see Kyrie staying in Dallas. He’s going to LA; Luka won’t want to stay on a team that was gutted. Luka would be perfect on our roster. And then in a year after that, we can snatch a JB in FA or trade assets to Boston.

Trae I think could be a possibility.

That Hawks team is pretty mid and after going for Murray they don't really have a ton of ways to improve.
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,031

Post#42 » by NetsWorld » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:15 pm

Tha King wrote:
NetsWorld wrote:

The thing with those Pistons teams though is all five starters were basically all star level or close to it, which is not this team. However, this group basically has 8 players that could start on some or all teams.

Claxton
Bridges
Cam Johnson
DFS
O'Neale
Dinwiddie
Simmons
Harris

So if Claxton can keep up his level of play (all star caliber), Bridges levels up a bit with an increased role (and CJ) then this team could be very interesting.

I got my eyes on Luka this Summer. I can’t see Kyrie staying in Dallas. He’s going to LA; Luka won’t want to stay on a team that was gutted. Luka would be perfect on our roster. And then in a year after that, we can snatch a JB in FA or trade assets to Boston.

Trae I think could be a possibility.

That Hawks team is pretty mid and after going for Murray they don't really have a ton of ways to improve.

I don’t want Trae, too small; Luka is perfect for this squad
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,080

Post#43 » by Netaman » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:18 pm

the pistons comps are fine and perhaps even a template worth following but there are some differences.

the backcourt isn't on that level and like vcp mentioned sheed was a key add for them. but template wise that's probably why they considered swapping dinwiddie for fvv, who is probably the closest player in the nba i can think of to mr big shot. that could be a s&t they revisit in the offseason if he and toronto cant work out a new contract.

bridges/cam can certainly be prince-ish and while claxton isn't big ben, he's a dpoy candidate so i dont have an issue comparing them to a degree.

this net team has more interesting depth pieces than almost any team of recent memory but as we all know they need to consolidate some of them into higher impact players - specifically in the backcourt. if just 1 of dinwiddie/cam thomas end up being long term answers in the backcourt i'd take that right now. it's possible both are the answer but it's also possible neither are the answer, and that's where the future assets will need to get utilized. like the aforementioned fvv or trading some package of cam + simmons + futures for the next donovan mitchell that hits the market.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,127

Post#44 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:22 pm

This team definitely needs a top notch PG imo. Trae or Luka would be desirable targets.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Netaman
Analyst

Post#45 » by Netaman » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:43 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:This team definitely needs a top notch PG imo. Trae or Luka would be desirable targets.

or drafting someone they see as the next haliburton but can start out as dinwiddie's backup for a year.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,047

Post#46 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:34 pm

NetsWorld wrote:

Claxton
Bridges
Cam Johnson
DFS
O'Neale
Dinwiddie
Simmons
Harris

I think Luka will ask out in a couple years. Not next season.

The problem is all of these guys want to team up with other stars nowadays. I would hate to again gut our team just deal with these divas again.

Hopefully we can just find a Giannis or Jokic in the draft somewhere.
NetsWorld
Starter

Post#47 » by NetsWorld » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:12 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
NetsWorld wrote:

Claxton
Bridges
Cam Johnson
DFS
O'Neale
Dinwiddie
Simmons
Harris

The problem is all of these guys want to team up with other stars nowadays. I would hate to again gut our team just deal with these divas again.

We won't find a star in the draft to propel this team. You can only hope Bucks blow it up, which looks far from likely.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,047

Post#48 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:00 pm

NetsWorld wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
NetsWorld wrote:

We won't find a star in the draft to propel this team. You can only hope Bucks blow it up, which looks far from likely.

You have no idea if thats true. With so many draft picks coming through it could easily happen.

Stars have been found outside the lottery and in the 2nd round.
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 220

Post#49 » by ChuckS » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:29 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:I’m just really disappointed we have a thread talking about the ‘04 Pistons and we’re 37 posts in and not one mention of Sheed…

If Thorn would have traded Kmart for Sheed that deadline, things may have went very different.

Fun fact, I was at the one game Sheed played for the Hawks.

You're right. I have senior moments...sometimes lasting weeks. Netaman's post comparing the Piston's back court, and mentioning yours, got me thinking again. He pointed out the difference between Billups and Dinwiddie. And I had completely overlooked the fact that Sheed and Ben were not only great defenders, but gave them strength and bulk.

My present concerns are less about our potential back court, however. I like Dinwiddie. He's long, can score, distributes without careless turnovers, is a decent defender, and runs a nice offense. With Bridges and Cam, we should, at least initially, be OK. I think there is some star power potential there waiting to be tapped...not that I would mind adding an all star.

When reminded of Ben and Sheed, I believe our biggest problem has been, and might still be, balance up front. I've wanted a four or five to supplement Clax and our new long defenders with a little more beef. We are said to have, with Nic, DFS, Bridges, Ben, and Royce, defenders who can guard anyone. I still worry, though, about Embiid, Giannis, and Williamson types. If Joel plays tonight we might find out more.

I was encouraged after the Chicago game, that we won easily while giving up 38 points to Lavine. Perhaps with Bridges and Johnson added we can somewhat affect these unstoppable superstars, or at least survive their onslaughts But I still want an enforcer type big, preferably a perimeter shooter who can switch effectively. If not, and it's like the past, he will not play.
NetsWorld
Starter

Post#50 » by NetsWorld » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:34 pm

ChuckS wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I’m just really disappointed we have a thread talking about the ‘04 Pistons and we’re 37 posts in and not one mention of Sheed…

If Thorn would have traded Kmart for Sheed that deadline, things may have went very different.

You're right. I have senior moments...sometimes lasting weeks. Netaman's post comparing the Piston's back court, and mentioning yours, got me thinking again. He pointed out the difference between Billups and Dinwiddie. And I had completely overlooked the fact that Sheed and Ben were not only great defenders, but gave them strength and bulk.

My present concerns are less about our potential back court, however. I like Dinwiddie. He's long, can score, distributes without careless turnovers, is a decent defender, and runs a nice offense. With Bridges and Cam, we should, at least initially, be OK. I think there is some star power potential there waiting to be tapped...not that I would mind adding an all star.

When reminded of Ben and Sheed, I believe our biggest problem has been, and might still be, balance up front. I've wanted a four or five to supplement Clax and our new long defenders with a little more beef. We are said to have, with Nic, DFS, Bridges, Ben, and Royce, defenders who can guard anyone. I still worry, though, about Embiid, Giannis, and Williamson types. If Joel plays tonight we might find out more.

I was encouraged after the Chicago game, that we won easily while giving up 38 points to Lavine. Perhaps with Bridges and Johnson added we can somewhat affect these unstoppable superstars, or at least survive their onslaughts But I still want an enforcer type big, preferably a perimeter shooter who can switch effectively. If not, and it's like the past, he will not play.

This isn’t a phase about worrying if we can guard those guys. This is a phase of developing and these kids blossoming into stars and contributing at a high level. Marks has pretty much reset this team to 2019 status in terms of being prepared for future moves. This team won’t be the same AGAIN next year.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#51 » by Netaman » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:04 pm

ChuckS wrote:

the game has shifted to where you dont need the kind of size those pistons had on a nightly basis but they need to add a legitimate big off the bench this offseason. i think they will probably grab some waiver fodder this year but long term they could use a starting quality big as backup C. a younger version of olynyk would be great. vanderbilt would have been a good fit too. a younger version of plumlee. etc.

re dinwiddie i dont disagree with you, but the next step for him isn't just consistent numbers it's helping close out games that matter against good teams. he kind of did that vs chicago, and billups could similarly be described as a journeyman prior to becoming mr big shot, so hopefully dinwiddie has the capacity to be more than a placeholder. in 04 when they won the championship billups was finals mvp at age 27. dinwiddie has the ability to be the answer.

the more immediate question who the nets rip hamilton is going to be. cam t obviously gets first shot and offers the most hope if he can make better decisions. curry is maybe closer then people realize once he gets healthy though he has defensive limitations.

for a more contemporary comparison i think boston is interesting, and i dont think it's unfair to say this net group is like boston minus tatum. williams and claxton are on a similar level. bridges and brown are on a similar level. smart/white/brogdon are different than dinwiddie/oneale/curry but there are some overlapping skillsets. cam j/dfs are similar to grant williams.

horford and tatum are the 2 pieces the nets just dont have. tatum obviously being an mvp candidate for a reason.
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 220

Post#52 » by ChuckS » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:36 pm

NetsWorld wrote:
ChuckS wrote:

This isn’t a phase about worrying if we can guard those guys. This is a phase of developing and these kids blossoming into stars and contributing at a high level. Marks has pretty much reset this team to 2019 status in terms of being prepared for future moves. This team won’t be the same AGAIN next year.

I think when equating this team to a previous champion because of like defensive identities, it's fair for some to point out/discuss the obvious differences or improvements needed to actually meet that truly lofty standard. Since this is now, I do not believe it is too early for me to worry about the likes of Embiid, Giannis, and Williamson. In fact, when discussing a defensively oriented team, it is probably never to early to worry about any potential offensive threats. But I get your point.

I also understand what you mean by Marks having reset this team to 2019 status. It's a new beginning, and we are a work in progress. It's probably unnecessary, but I'll mention it for any "younguns" or newbies. This team is already much better than that 2019, team. We are starting from a higher plateau, with more assets.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,702

Post#53 » by 165bows » Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:22 am

NetsWorld wrote:Lost in all this hoopla of our own two stars getting traded is the return for KD/Kyrie was VERY STRATEGIC to say the least. Something on twitter caught my eye, in 2004, we had an extremely talented and starless Detroit Pistons team which essentially throttled and abused teams handily with its crazy defense. This Nets team, to some degree, not exactly the same, reminds me of that team in terms of its length and ability to defend.....OF COURSE Detroit did it better, holding teams to 75 PPG is no small feat. But may, just maybe, Vaughn gets these guys to truly buy into defense as its main ingredient in winning now and in the future, perhaps the defense will be our superstar...... We shall see how this team progresses, and there will be rocky roads along the way, but what I saw against the Bulls is the Bulls really struggled to score and get comfortable shots off until they started attacking the paint and the Nets adjusted their D to thwart as well. Will it be that in a year from now we will talk about our new all star "Defense" is superior to our previous scoring all stars, KD/Kyrie, highly doubtful but hey, just a thought. Thoughts anyone? Does this team have the defensive potential to contend?

Not really title contenders yet but I agree with the sentiment. Kind of like the idea of rolling with it and pursuing OG or D. Murray for this incarnation of the nets.
JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

Post#54 » by JoseRizal » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:57 am

Is it just me or is SGA the perfect player to pursue? The question is HOW?
NetsWorld
Starter

Post#55 » by NetsWorld » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:01 pm

JoseRizal wrote:Is it just me or is SGA the perfect player to pursue? The question is HOW?

Depends on when he gets sick of losing enough, he isn't an FA for three years but I can't see him there past 2025 and Presti loves picks.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#56 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:53 pm

JoseRizal wrote:Is it just me or is SGA the perfect player to pursue? The question is HOW?

Perfect? Absolutely. Realistic? No. He has 4 more years on his deal, and OKC should start finally improving with the return of Chet & the maturing of the young core.

Most likely prime targets to get moved in the next couple of years: KAT, Trae
Most likely FA targets: Mitchell (2025), Ingram (2025)
Possible older bridge (until 2025 FA) star that could be attainable: DeRozan (expires ahead of '25 FA)
Outside shot at forcing a trade: Luka
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#57 » by Keith Van Horn » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:42 pm

I'm super intrigued by Trae Young.

He's young enough still, can score from anywhere, will get all these wings involved with his passing... and it would bring some crazy fun battles out against the Knicks. He's a the PR dept's dream lol.

Simmons would be the ideal centerpiece to send in a deal, and then probably Cam Thomas and 3-4 1sts. Simmons has got to show up rest of season though.
NetsWorld
Starter

Post#58 » by NetsWorld » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:48 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:

Perfect? Absolutely. Realistic? No. He has 4 more years on his deal, and OKC should start finally improving with the return of Chet & the maturing of the young core.

Possible older bridge (until 2025 FA) star that could be attainable: DeRozan (expires ahead of '25 FA)

Eeeesh, Ingram and Young would be a dream come true. Sadly, Trae would get exposed on switches. But you don't think Marks has his eyes on Tatum?
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#59 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:56 pm

NetsWorld wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:

Eeeesh, Ingram and Young would be a dream come true. Sadly, Trae would get exposed on switches. But you don't think Marks has his eyes on Tatum?

Tatum would be great, but I don't see him leaving Boston. He'll be the next career Celtic legend in my opinion.
NetsWorld
Starter

Post#60 » by NetsWorld » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:15 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
NetsWorld wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:Perfect? Absolutely. Realistic? No. He has 4 more years on his deal, and OKC should start finally improving with the return of Chet & the maturing of the young core.

Tatum would be great, but I don't see him leaving Boston. He'll be the next career Celtic legend in my opinion.

If C's don't win this year, I could see that devastating him. Don't be surprised is all I am going to say; everyone thought LeBron would stay in Cleveland in 2010, history changes.

Return to Brooklyn Nets