Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,602

Re: Nets Fire Jacque Vaughn; Kevin Ollie Named Interim 

Post#41 » by TheNetsFan » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:26 pm

Netaman wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
3pt_chucker wrote:Never saw what made JV a good coach other than not being Steve Nash. He doesn't do anything at a super high level and was the exact same coach as in Orlando. Not a bad person, just a horrible head coach.

The JV extension was a bad move from the moment it happened. Felt like organization has been trying to pretend like trading KD wasn't a franchise altering move and JV firing might finally be a sign they admit that.

Lots need to change in the offseason imo. Even if Ollie turns out to be excellent, the roster is barely .500 level in a weak east and I'm not sure this fanbase can survive another season like this one.

The Vaughn extension always felt like a thank you golden parachute, and an incentive to stick around to absorb some losses. In an ideal world, I don't think Marks wanted to hire a coach of the future until after we landed a star of the future.

Firing Kenny was a mistake. Firing Nash mid-season was a mistake. Marks is not completely wrong about certain coaches being better suited for building or rebuilding a foundation, and others being ego managers that can get the most out of stars. But we now find ourselves in a half way limbo between needing a builder for right now & possibly needing an ego manager within a year or two if we can pull off a star trade with our assets.

In an ideal world, he can pull off a star trade early this off-season & get that star's input on the next coach. I don't know how feasible that is. In teh event you can't do that, then Budenholzer is the closest thing to a person that has proven to been able to do both.

Firing Kenny in-season was a mistake, but firing him wasn't. He is generally overrated. There's a reason he hasn't gotten a chance since. His claim to fame is going 42-40 once and a non-competitive 5 game series. They were 6 games under .500 the next year when he got fired. Sure Kyrie was/is nuts, and hard to coach, but he was also still an upgrade on DLo so personnel wise they shouldn't have regressed. Washed up Jared Dudley was a starter the year before.

Hiring Nash was a mistake but that was on KD. Not firing him earlier was also a mistake.

It sucks Udoka had his issues because he'd be the ideal coach.

Kenny had an offer to coach the Hornets. He turned it down because the Hornets were unwilling to pay the assistant coaches he was going to bring commensurate with their worth/experience. He's been a finalist for a few others. He has had a cushy job as the lead assistant on a Championship team where he's viewed as the heir apparent if/when Kerr retires. He has the ability to be very picky when selecting another HC position.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#42 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:50 pm

Netaman wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
3pt_chucker wrote:Never saw what made JV a good coach other than not being Steve Nash. He doesn't do anything at a super high level and was the exact same coach as in Orlando. Not a bad person, just a horrible head coach.

The JV extension was a bad move from the moment it happened. Felt like organization has been trying to pretend like trading KD wasn't a franchise altering move and JV firing might finally be a sign they admit that.

Lots need to change in the offseason imo. Even if Ollie turns out to be excellent, the roster is barely .500 level in a weak east and I'm not sure this fanbase can survive another season like this one.

The Vaughn extension always felt like a thank you golden parachute, and an incentive to stick around to absorb some losses. In an ideal world, I don't think Marks wanted to hire a coach of the future until after we landed a star of the future.

Firing Kenny was a mistake. Firing Nash mid-season was a mistake. Marks is not completely wrong about certain coaches being better suited for building or rebuilding a foundation, and others being ego managers that can get the most out of stars. But we now find ourselves in a half way limbo between needing a builder for right now & possibly needing an ego manager within a year or two if we can pull off a star trade with our assets.

In an ideal world, he can pull off a star trade early this off-season & get that star's input on the next coach. I don't know how feasible that is. In teh event you can't do that, then Budenholzer is the closest thing to a person that has proven to been able to do both.

Firing Kenny in-season was a mistake, but firing him wasn't. He is generally overrated. There's a reason he hasn't gotten a chance since. His claim to fame is going 42-40 once and a non-competitive 5 game series. They were 6 games under .500 the next year when he got fired. Sure Kyrie was/is nuts, and hard to coach, but he was also still an upgrade on DLo so personnel wise they shouldn't have regressed. Washed up Jared Dudley was a starter the year before.

Hiring Nash was a mistake but that was on KD. Not firing him earlier was also a mistake.

Nash was a Marks(and Tsai who is also friends with him) hire not KD. Even NetsDaily has said as much. You're still peddling fan fiction/fan copium.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,079

Post#43 » by Netaman » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:59 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:
Netaman wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:The Vaughn extension always felt like a thank you golden parachute, and an incentive to stick around to absorb some losses. In an ideal world, I don't think Marks wanted to hire a coach of the future until after we landed a star of the future.

Nash was a Marks(and Tsai who is also friends with him) hire not KD. Even NetsDaily has said as much. You're still peddling fan fiction/fan copium.

Netsdaily is hit or miss. I'll go with Windhorst since he's been by far the most accurate reporting on the nets in the last several years. And the obvious that KD was familiar with Nash from their time together in GS. And that the entire staff under Nash were guys with connections to KD. And the even more obvious that Nash literally did whatever KD wanted him to do, including playing him for 40+ minutes per game in the playoffs even when there were obviously diminishing returns.

also LOL at the idea that the Nets were hiring any HC without KD's say so after they fired Atkinson and signed/started Deandre Jordan because of he/Kyrie (and a host of other stuff).
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,602

Post#44 » by TheNetsFan » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:55 pm

Netaman wrote:
3pt_chucker wrote:
Netaman wrote:

Netsdaily is hit or miss. I'll go with Windhorst since he's been by far the most accurate reporting on the nets in the last several years. And the obvious that KD was familiar with Nash from their time together in GS. And that the entire staff under Nash were guys with connections to KD. And the even more obvious that Nash literally did whatever KD wanted him to do, including playing him for 40+ minutes per game in the playoffs even when there were obviously diminishing returns.

also LOL at the idea that the Nets were hiring any HC without KD's say so after they fired Atkinson and signed/started Deandre Jordan because of he/Kyrie (and a host of other stuff).

Nash was a compromise. Someone Marks and KD both had a good working relationship with. He probably wasn't KD's top choice, but KD definitely was on board
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#45 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:26 am

Netaman wrote:id imagine this is sourced from dinwhiny - if true its moronic, ben clearly has a massively positive impact when things run through him:

Read on Twitter

When he plays, it's positive. The problem is, EVERYONE KNEW BEN SIMMONS IS MADE OF GLASS!

There was never any point of structuring the offense around Simmons, he's never going to be healthy again. Spencer, Mikal and the rest of the team would have been better off treating him like a nice bonus when he plays.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 995

Post#46 » by Decipher » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:56 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:
Netaman wrote:id imagine this is sourced from dinwhiny - if true its moronic, ben clearly has a massively positive impact when things run through him:

Read on Twitter

When he plays, it's positive. The problem is, EVERYONE KNEW BEN SIMMONS IS MADE OF GLASS!

There was never any point of structuring the offense around Simmons, he's never going to be healthy again. Spencer, Mikal and the rest of the team would have been better off treating him like a nice bonus when he plays.

This is slow news week clickbait
Netaman
Analyst

Post#47 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:37 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:

in the 7 years of his nba career as a net dinwiddie has shot 32.2% from 3.
last year post-deadline he shot 28.9% from 3, simmons got shut down like a week after the deadline.
this year starting 48/48 games as a net, dinwhiny shot 32% from 3.

noticing the trend?

jv deserved to be canned for plenty of reasons but 30 year old spencer dinwiddie playing mediocre AF aint one of em.
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 220

Post#48 » by ChuckS » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:11 pm

Decipher wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:

Read on Twitter

This is slow news week clickbait

I know that Dinwiddie has been faulted herein for everything but the twin towers. But the reason I so believe that Spence was not the source is because it IS so "moronic". IMO no player with what I have believed to be his character and BB acumen would say something so unflattering about a probable friend, teammate, multiple all-star, and obvious best point guard on the team. This particularly so when it seems that most of the free world seems to have already done worse for a few years. I could be wrong though. I know they wouldn't be able to do their job, but I wish journalists/reporters did not have to guarantee anonymity. I could then be more sure my biases were not dictating my beliefs.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach

Post#49 » by 3pt_chucker » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:43 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
Netaman wrote:
3pt_chucker wrote:

Nash was a compromise. Someone Marks and KD both had a good working relationship with. He probably wasn't KD's top choice, but KD definitely was on board

Exactly this. Marks wanted to hire an ego manager and KD worked with him at GSW.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach

Post#50 » by 3pt_chucker » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:47 pm

Netaman wrote:
3pt_chucker wrote:
Netaman wrote:

Marks and Tsai were operating out of fear (of upsetting stars) instead of having any backbone. Need a balance between placating the stars but also standing up to them on the right things. Nets didn't effectively thread the needle at all.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#51 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:52 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
Netaman wrote:
3pt_chucker wrote:

Every move they made in the KD era was a compromise of some sort for the chance to have KD here and bought in. Anyone who says it wasn't worth making basically every compromise necessary for KD deserves the knick crowds at barclays before and after kd.

he didnt get them to the promise land but for the 2.5 years he played here he lifted the franchise even beyond the kidd years. you guys remember kidd right? he was the guy who fired byron scott, essentially hired lawrence frank, then faked a headache to get traded. and he too was worth all the compromises. that's the nba.
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 220

Post#52 » by ChuckS » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:37 pm

Netaman wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:

in the 7 years of his nba career as a net dinwiddie has shot 32.2% from 3.
last year post-deadline he shot 28.9% from 3, simmons got shut down like a week after the deadline.
this year starting 48/48 games as a net, dinwhiny shot 32% from 3.

noticing the trend?

jv deserved to be canned for plenty of reasons but 30 year old spencer dinwiddie playing mediocre AF aint one of em.

I did notice the trend. He shot threes a little better this year. I cannot argue your stats, As usual they are impeccable. I just disagree with the implication left. He, albeit less efficiently, was a tenth of a point behind CJ (at 16.5 ppg). They trailed only Mikal at 26.1. He averaged 9.1 assist per game (for us) which was exceeded by only Harden, Young, and Jokic, and at an impressive ATO of 4.33. Most importantly, he played nominally (1.1 minute per game) more than our star, I think this speaks more to his importance and place in the team hierarchy last year than his three point shooting, so I have some disagreement with your declaration of mediocrity. And he was important because he was the only able bodied point guard on the team, with only Royce as a backup. A few, including the board's most prolific poster, wanted a real mediocrity, now playing in Lithuania, to replace him. I think many Nets fans miss the days of youthful mediocrity and think a 30 year old is ready for the NBA Retirement Village.

As far as JV being canned for his treatment of Spence, of course you are correct. That wasn't even noticed by most, who more criticized a waste of Cam T. But it was an indication of his roster confusion. After 54 games, it looked like he still had little clue as to combinations or substitutions, and was constantly experimenting. Our closing lineups were woefully pathetic, and I believe the cause of numerous losses in close games, and even some that were not so close. He replaced too many of Spencer's fourth quarter minutes with DSJ. I will not reiterate a recent post concerning NBA.com's clutch numbers, but if you hated Dinwiddie's 32% three point shooting you can probably imagine how I felt about replacing it at 27.4%. And NBA.com's fourth quarter numbers have Spence shooting 20-24 foot (corner and three point line) threes in the fourth quarter at a team leading 66.7% to DSJ's 33.3%. But again, this is only one player. Spence's per game average was down 3.9 PPG, but Mikal's 4.4, CJ's 2.9, and even sixth man, Royce's, 1.4. Our team offensive rating, 10th earlier in the season is now 19th with an offensive/defensive net at -2.3 and 21st. I'm convinced this "ain't" Dinwiddie's fault.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#53 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:58 pm

ChuckS wrote:Spence's per game average was down 3.9 PPG, but Mikal's 4.4, CJ's 2.9, and even sixth man, Royce's, 1.4. Our team offensive rating, 10th earlier in the season is now 19th with an offensive/defensive net at -2.3 and 21st. I'm convinced this "ain't" Dinwiddie's fault.

part of everyone's PPG being down were Cam Thomas' going up, along with his usage. he was only playing like 15 mpg after the deadline last year. this year he is up at 30 mpg and 20 ppg. in march/april last year he played a total of 13 games, 1 start, and averaged under 10 ppg.

again - i have ZERO disagreement that JV made mistakes and simply didn't manage the roster well. period on the end of that sentence. forget the offense the defense was an even bigger disappointment, and he may have done an even worse job managing the lockerroom because this was supposed to be a group of hard working grinders who all get along with each other, yet somehow the team folded up on him after that give up game in milwaukee.

but all of that said i still can't say there was a bigger disappointment this entire season than dinwhiny. he got 48/48 starts even though camt probably deserved a bunch of them (basically any games ben was healthy). he shot 39% from 2, 32% from 3, and was down from 9 assts per game last year to 6. body language was awful, he was doing the same routine complaining to the officials, maybe more than ever. the same old habit of saying stuff on twitter. reporters reporting that he was basically "on strike". just the exact opposite of the veteran leader he was supposed to be this year.

jv tried and failed. im not sure dinwhiny even tried.

Return to Brooklyn Nets