ImageImageImageImageImage

Early discussion on the 2023 offseason

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,031

Re: Early discussion on the 2023 offseason 

Post#61 » by NetsWorld » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:17 am

I am not counting on the picks these next couple years to be valuable because of the talent pool. Marks ain’t finding a Tatum or Brown type player in the draft. He finds players that play hard but that’s about it. I really wonder which players Marks could covert that he can develop further into an all star. Marks is smart for thinking ahead and going young; the new era is here and he realizes it. Marks knew that the 2022 post season told the story that the KD and LeBrons of the world can’t keep up with the new generation of stars. The Celtics manhandled KD. All I hope is the Nets can get a super young superstar, and I mean someone who will help this team to the promise land
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,127

Post#62 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:37 pm

Netaman wrote:
Tha King wrote:I don't think Simmons is more talented than Claxton. Would also say Bridges from what he's shown so far on the Nets.

While the best version of Simmons brings playmaking he also always limited an offense as a guard without the basic requisite skillset. From a talent standpoint, the expectation with him was the jumper would come along but obviously that hasn't happened.

not impossible but i'd bet against bridges or clax getting 3x all star appearances simmons already has or ever getting 1st or 2nd team all nba (simmons was voted 3rd team in 2020).

I would wager that Bridges is an all star next season.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#63 » by gigantes » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:35 pm

NetsWorld wrote:1) I am not counting on the picks these next couple years to be valuable because of the talent pool. Marks ain’t finding a Tatum or Brown type player in the draft. He finds players that play hard but that’s about it. I really wonder which players Marks could covert that he can develop further into an all star. Marks is smart for thinking ahead and going young; the new era is here and he realizes it.

2) Marks knew that the 2022 post season told the story that the KD and LeBrons of the world can’t keep up with the new generation of stars. The Celtics manhandled KD. All I hope is the Nets can get a super young superstar, and I mean someone who will help this team to the promise land

1) Personally I think he deserves more credit than that. Yes it's true, Marks is very good at scooping up character guys and gym rats for almost nothing (Harris, DWid, Bruce), but I think he's also pretty good at finding big talent with just mediocre picks, as with Clax, CamT, Fro, & Caris by proxy. In fact, the very best selection he's ever had to work with seems to be the 17th pick in 2019, in which he drafted a guy (Alexander-Walker) meant to help with a trade, I think. [SOURCE]

Point is-- if the future picks are even close to mid-ish first rounders, it would still be a huge step up from the outright dreadful picks he's had to work with from day one in 2016.

2) As much as I'd like to rag on KD for the BOS series, I think he did about as well as he could for a 7-foot forward not even known for being a point-forward. Kyrie has too much of a scorer's mentality to be a true PG, and the idea of 'PG by committee' just wasn't going to work against better teams, especially an elite defensive team like the Celtics.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#64 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:14 am

gigantes wrote:
NetsWorld wrote:1) I am not counting on the picks these next couple years to be valuable because of the talent pool. Marks ain’t finding a Tatum or Brown type player in the draft. He finds players that play hard but that’s about it. I really wonder which players Marks could covert that he can develop further into an all star. Marks is smart for thinking ahead and going young; the new era is here and he realizes it.

2) Marks knew that the 2022 post season told the story that the KD and LeBrons of the world can’t keep up with the new generation of stars. The Celtics manhandled KD. All I hope is the Nets can get a super young superstar, and I mean someone who will help this team to the promise land

1) Personally I think he deserves more credit than that. Yes it's true, Marks is very good at scooping up character guys and gym rats for almost nothing (Harris, DWid, Bruce), but I think he's also pretty good at finding big talent with just mediocre picks, as with Clax, CamT, Fro, & Caris by proxy. In fact, the very best selection he's ever had to work with seems to be the 17th pick in 2019, in which he drafted a guy (Alexander-Walker) meant to help with a trade, I think. [SOURCE]

Point is-- if the future picks are even close to mid-ish first rounders, it would still be a huge step up from the outright dreadful picks he's had to work with from day one in 2016.

2) As much as I'd like to rag on KD for the BOS series, I think he did about as well as he could for a 7-foot forward not even known for being a point-forward. Kyrie has too much of a scorer's mentality to be a true PG, and the idea of 'PG by committee' just wasn't going to work against better teams, especially an elite defensive team like the Celtics.

NAW was part of the Crabbe for Prince salary dump trade with Atlanta. He was traded to NOLA a couple weeks later. I don't know if Atlanta picked him or NOLA did, but it wouldn't have been Marks.
Lachiebkn
Freshman
And1: 42

Post#65 » by Lachiebkn » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:18 pm

The nets have a bit of time now to scope talent. This team isn’t championship or bust.

Resign cam j to what ever market sets.
Look to trade harris as an expiring,
Resign clax long term
Build Simmons back up and hope he is at least tradable or in the starting 5
Push bridges to be our number 1 option and see if he can become our kawhi Leonard type level player
Keep working on cam t and see how good he can become.
Basically see what we can get for trades for players over 28 if it gives us draft capital without killing team
Chemistry or our building culture pull the trigger.

Then hit the draft. Even though our picks won’t be top of lottery they should be higher than the picks we have had recently and marks has done pretty well with them. Clax Allen levert cam t
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#66 » by Keith Van Horn » Thu Mar 2, 2023 1:54 am

well then... my attention is turning the the offseason. I won't hold my breath for this season to pan out the way I was hoping it would. I don't even know if we're going to make the playoffs.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Post#67 » by Keith Van Horn » Thu Mar 2, 2023 2:02 am

There are some good bones here to keep building. We just have to understand who's capable of what and get guys in positions to succeed. I

This is how I see it for 23-24:

Starters
______, ______, Bridges, Johnson, Claxton

Reserves
Dinwiddie, Thomas, ______, DFS, ______

Out of rotation but cheap enough to keep maybe?
Sumner, Sharpe

Curry and Wantanabe will walk. Resign Cam Johnson

Simmons, Harris, O'Neale, Mills ALL have to find new homes. Marks needs to get creative.

I'm willing to kick the tires on all of the disgruntled starts and don't mind at all attaching picks to get it done.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,080

Post#68 » by Netaman » Thu Mar 2, 2023 3:25 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:There are some good bones here to keep building. We just have to understand who's capable of what and get guys in positions to succeed. I

Starters

Reserves

Sumner, Sharpe

Simmons, Harris, O'Neale, Mills ALL have to find new homes. Marks needs to get creative.

I'm willing to kick the tires on all of the disgruntled starts and don't mind at all attaching picks to get it done.

generally agree with all this. i dont think dinwiddie is a lock to stay, and i dont think simmons is a lock to go because who knows if anyone will take him, but definitely agree with the starters.

i'd try to get FVV in a S&T for either dinwiddie or simmons or harris. offer him a big enough number and i think toronto passes.

then hopefully get an upside scorer they like in the draft to compete with cam.

fvv / cam / bridges / johnson / claxton with an upside rookie taken between pick #10-15 would be an interesting lineup and a team that fits together well. I think that group would be able to put together a season similar to the knicks this year, and is probably a little bit better overall. (fvv is on the same level as brunson, cam and rj are similar, the net front court is better).
njnets62892
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#69 » by njnets62892 » Thu Mar 2, 2023 3:48 pm

edit: double post
njnets62892
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#70 » by njnets62892 » Thu Mar 2, 2023 3:52 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:There are some good bones here to keep building. We just have to understand who's capable of what and get guys in positions to succeed. I

Starters

Reserves

Sumner, Sharpe

I would flip DFS in a heartbeat if you can get a first round pick for him. He turns 30 this year and does not fit our timeline at all. Bridges & Johnson make him somewhat redundant and he strikes me as a guy who will continue to struggle with his 3 point shooting without a star like Luka to draw away attention.

Don't give up assets to move Ben. You have to hope there's still something there with more time removed from the back surgery. If not, the team isn't a contender anyway and he becomes an expiring contract which will then be a positive asset.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#71 » by Tha King » Thu Mar 2, 2023 6:46 pm

Starters

Reserves

Sumner, Sharpe

Simmons will require draft picks being attached to move and imo those picks would be better off going towards adding a starter.

I think the best way to really improve the roster is to trade the bench players with expiring contracts along with a draft pick or two and add a starter. The team needs a playmaking guard, just not sure who would be out there.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by Keith Van Horn » Thu Mar 2, 2023 6:47 pm

njnets62892 wrote:

Starters

Reserves

Sumner, Sharpe

I would flip DFS in a heartbeat if you can get a first round pick for him. He turns 30 this year and does not fit our timeline at all. Bridges & Johnson make him somewhat redundant and he strikes me as a guy who will continue to struggle with his 3 point shooting without a star like Luka to draw away attention.

Don't give up assets to move Ben. You have to hope there's still something there with more time removed from the back surgery. If not, the team isn't a contender anyway and he becomes an expiring contract which will then be a positive asset.

Oh yeah for sure, I wouldn't mind moving DFS if you can get a 1st for him. He hasn't really done much to impress me outside of a couple dunks here and there.

We just need more shooting and guys that can create their own looks. We are also not driving to the basket with any sort of aggression. Need some energy there.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Post#73 » by Keith Van Horn » Thu Mar 2, 2023 6:54 pm

Netaman wrote:

Starters

Reserves

Sumner, Sharpe

generally agree with all this. i dont think dinwiddie is a lock to stay, and i dont think simmons is a lock to go because who knows if anyone will take him, but definitely agree with the starters.

i'd try to get FVV in a S&T for either dinwiddie or simmons or harris. offer him a big enough number and i think toronto passes.

then hopefully get an upside scorer they like in the draft to compete with cam.

fvv / cam / bridges / johnson / claxton with an upside rookie taken between pick #10-15 would be an interesting lineup and a team that fits together well. I think that group would be able to put together a season similar to the knicks this year, and is probably a little bit better overall. (fvv is on the same level as brunson, cam and rj are similar, the net front court is better).

For sure on FVV. He's definite a little sparkplug, a la Brunson. I'd absolutely see if he can be had.

Dinwiddie... I can take him or leave him going forward. I do think he's very well suited to be a leader of a backup unit and he's got that veteran persona to him at this point. But's he is making almost $20m a year...

I just don't know if I'm 100% sold on Cam Thomas yet. I know he's been good offensively and he's still learning and growing, but he's just so erratic sometimes and tries too much. Maybe he'll get there eventually.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#74 » by Claud » Thu Mar 2, 2023 9:41 pm

I can't believe we turned down picks for DFS... another miss by Marks.

I'd rather give minutes to Yuta/Royce/Simmons than him .
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#75 » by 3pt_chucker » Thu Mar 2, 2023 10:40 pm

Claud wrote:I can't believe we turned down picks for DFS... another miss by Marks.

I'd rather give minutes to Yuta/Royce/Simmons than him .

Marks went to sleep after trading KD. There is no way he couldn't of flipped DFS while is value is high(he prob not worth a FRP anymore). He held on to Curry even though he has no purpose on this roster. He should've traded Joe Harris ages ago.

No GM is mistake free and it's easy to call moves bad in hindsight. He's made multiple moves that most people react to negatively and with time it somehow even looks worse.

It's a huge problem when us fans can clearly see things that Marks is either slow to see or is just flat out wrong about. That's really alarming imo.

Joe Tsai needs to wake tf up or sell the team.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,497

Post#76 » by Stone » Fri Mar 3, 2023 12:09 am

Last offseason we brought in 5 new players. Yuma, TJ, Royce, Sumner and M Morris. This off-season it would not surprise me to see 8 or more new players. There is a lot of work to be done.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
Tha King
Sixth Man

Post#77 » by Tha King » Fri Mar 3, 2023 1:25 am

Just looking around the league and trying to think of possible guards that could be available and I am struggling to come up with one that would be better than Simmons at even half of what he was with the Sixers. From playmaking, to rebounding, to elite switchability (can defend guards much better than Bridges) just so many different ways he elevates the team. Even right now at his current level, the team clearly needs him.

I am no longer expecting all star Simmons but is solid starter Simmons out of the question year two coming off injury?

For next season: Simmons, Cam, Bridges, CJ, Claxton with Din, DFS, O'Neale, draft picks and offseason additions is a more interesting team to me than one that trades depth and picks for LaVine, Beal, etc.
Eatgreenz
Senior
And1: 317

Post#78 » by Eatgreenz » Fri Mar 3, 2023 1:48 am

Ben is really the wildcard if we can think about competing in the east again. By next season he will be yr from his back surgery which s 12-18month recovery. So we will see if gets his athleticism back or is it truly shot.
Tha King
Sixth Man

Post#79 » by Tha King » Fri Mar 3, 2023 1:54 am

Eatgreenz wrote:Ben is really the wildcard if we can think about competing in the east again. By next season he will be yr from his back surgery which s 12-18month recovery. So we will see if gets his athleticism back or is it truly shot.

he'll actually have an offseason this go around as well.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,389

Post#80 » by Papi_swav » Fri Mar 3, 2023 2:41 am

Starters

Reserves

Sumner, Sharpe

Agree with most of this. Bridges, Cam J and Clax are part of our core now going forward and would like for them to stay for the future. We resign Cam J this summer, we can always trade him down the line if need be but isn't necessary right now.

I'll definitely get rid of DFS, he's not that good but he will have a market as a 3&D player. Several teams will want him so trade him for the best assets or picks.

I still like O'neale and would keep him but he's another 3&D player that will have a market so we might as well flip him too for more assets. Bridges and Cam J does everything O'neale and DFS does but alot more so having them isn't necessary when we need to improve other places on the roster. So get rid of both of those guys for the best offer.

Curry and Watanabe is gone, wouldn't mind bringing Watanabe back but some team will give him more $ and minutes. Harris needs to go like yesterday. Mills will be gone. I would like to keep Sumner. Simmons is not going anywhere atp. No team will trade for him and his ridiculous contract so we might as well play him and try to up his value, Maybe we can trade him next trade deadline or next offseason as an expiring contract but he's untradeable right now and I wouldn't give up any picks to get rid of him, we're going to need those later.

Hopefully we get a top 12 pick in the draft, pick BPA and let that player develop as well as our pick in the 20s (suns pick). We're not in any rush right now so we can allow players to develop. We need another ballhandler/ point guard , shooting guards and a backup big. Also might need some backup wings and a power forward for depth when we trade O'neale and DFS. I don't see any big time FAs this offseason we should go after so the plan is to draft right, get younger and develop and make the right trades.

Return to Brooklyn Nets