ImageImageImageImageImage

Big Lillard/POR Debate - Please vote

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Nets X Lillard - What should we do?

Trade 3 firsts (PHX this year, PHX in 2025, our own in 2028 ) + 2 2nd round picks, and a pick swap in 2029 with Dinwiddie, Harris, and Cam Thomas for Lillard + player POR decides to add
33%
Trade Bridges to POR for the 3rd pick, S Sharpe., and Simons
33%
Do not involve ourselves with POR at all this offseason
33%

Total votes: 42

Eatgreenz
Senior
And1: 317

Re: Big Lillard/POR Debate - Please vote 

Post#61 » by Eatgreenz » Wed Jun 7, 2023 5:09 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,458

Post#62 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Jun 7, 2023 5:17 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:If we can ship Dinwiddie to Orlando for the 11th overall, I just keep the pick lol

I’d be fine with that too.

Or use the remaining of the 21/22 with the 11 to move up even further.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,080

Post#63 » by Netaman » Wed Jun 7, 2023 6:09 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:
Paradise wrote:What other picks? They don’t have salary to match or good picks.

whatever picks they are allowed to trade. maybe we have more picks than they do but herro is probably a better young asset than anything we'd put on the table and none of our picks are all that great. their 18th pick this year is probably a better pick than any individual pick we own presently. their 2028/2030 picks have just as good of a chance to be good picks as the dallas pick or post-KD phoenix pick.

of Portland trades Dame they already have the 3rd pick this year. they also have #23. no idea how they want to fit together all the pieces but value wise the miami deal is probably better than the nets can offer, even if they make it a 3 team and re-route herro elsewhere.

Lolwut?

Like I can get down with the sentiment they have the best current young piece in Herro, no doubt, but you’re just reaching with all this draft pick nonsense here.

We have almost endless unprotected picks and swaps from Phoenix and Dallas until 2029, and a top 8 protected 1st from Philly, all old teams with wildly uncertain futures, it’s almost a lock 2 of those picks wind up top 10.

Now I hope none of those far out picks(‘26 and beyond) are involved in a Dame trade, or at worst but one of them, but the statement that the 18th overall pick is the most valuable of all these and saying none of ours are all that good is just shenanigans.

We honestly have some of the more valuable picks in the league from ‘26-‘29.

I don’t see Miami including their ‘28 or ‘30 picks either tbh.

they are all far out lotto tickets. as a bundle of lotto tickets great, hopefully 1 hits, but which individual pick is the most likely to be 18th or better? 2027 phoenix or philly (which is protected top 8, so 4 years down the road to maybe move up 10 slots best case)?

i think if other teams had the choice of any single pick the nets own in the future or the 18th this year they'd do it. I would do it if there was a player we liked and didn't already have both 21/22.

so imo miami has the better young player under contract unless nets offer claxton, the higher pick this year, and the ability to add more volume picks down the road either by flipping caleb martin to a 3rd team or just including him.

the nets offer is better if portland wants as many distant future lotto tickets as possible but that seems unlikely.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#64 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 6:38 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:If we can ship Dinwiddie to Orlando for the 11th overall, I just keep the pick lol

I’d be fine with that too.

Or use the remaining of the 21/22 with the 11 to move up even further.

Exactly!!!
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#65 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Jun 7, 2023 6:42 pm

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:
whatever picks they are allowed to trade. maybe we have more picks than they do but herro is probably a better young asset than anything we'd put on the table and none of our picks are all that great. their 18th pick this year is probably a better pick than any individual pick we own presently. their 2028/2030 picks have just as good of a chance to be good picks as the dallas pick or post-KD phoenix pick.

of Portland trades Dame they already have the 3rd pick this year. they also have #23. no idea how they want to fit together all the pieces but value wise the miami deal is probably better than the nets can offer, even if they make it a 3 team and re-route herro elsewhere.

Lolwut?

Like I can get down with the sentiment they have the best current young piece in Herro, no doubt, but you’re just reaching with all this draft pick nonsense here.

We have almost endless unprotected picks and swaps from Phoenix and Dallas until 2029, and a top 8 protected 1st from Philly, all old teams with wildly uncertain futures, it’s almost a lock 2 of those picks wind up top 10.

Now I hope none of those far out picks(‘26 and beyond) are involved in a Dame trade, or at worst but one of them, but the statement that the 18th overall pick is the most valuable of all these and saying none of ours are all that good is just shenanigans.

they are all far out lotto tickets. as a bundle of lotto tickets great, hopefully 1 hits, but which individual pick is the most likely to be 18th or better? 2027 phoenix or philly (which is protected top 8, so 4 years down the road to maybe move up 10 slots best case)?

i think if other teams had the choice of any single pick the nets own in the future or the 18th this year they'd do it. I would do it if there was a player we liked and didn't already have both 21/22.

so imo miami has the better young player under contract unless nets offer claxton, the higher pick this year, and the ability to add more volume picks down the road either by flipping caleb martin to a 3rd team or just including him.

the nets offer is better if portland wants as many distant future lotto tickets as possible but that seems unlikely.

Not even sure I disagree that Miami’s overall offer is better, but I’m just responding to the stand alone that you said about the 18th overall pick being better than any picks we hold and that all that we hold aren’t even good overall.

That’s just silly.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,047

Post#66 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Jun 7, 2023 6:45 pm

Why do we want Lillard?

We know hes not good enough to be the best player on a Championship team. Hes hurt often. Hes on a crazy contract.

I'm not giving up major assets for him.

And why trade Bridges?

This #3 pick could SUCK. And then what?

Bridges is a STAR. Simmons is coming back. We are fine as is. Don't change anything.

Once Luka/Giannis demand out then I start looking at trades. Till then no thanks.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#67 » by Netaman » Wed Jun 7, 2023 6:57 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Lolwut?

Not even sure I disagree that Miami’s overall offer is better, but I’m just responding to the stand alone that you said about the 18th overall pick being better than any picks we hold and that all that we hold aren’t even good overall.

That’s just silly.

how is it silly? what pick the nets own is better than #18 this year? 2027 phoenix?
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#68 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Jun 7, 2023 7:09 pm

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:

That’s just silly.

how is it silly? what pick the nets own is better than #18 this year? 2027 phoenix?

Yes. Most any GM irl would easily take any of the Phoenix picks or swaps from ‘25 on, and the Dallas pick over the 18th overall in this draft.

The only GM taking that 18th overall over those other picks, will be an unemployed one in due time.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#69 » by Netaman » Wed Jun 7, 2023 10:37 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Not even sure I disagree that Miami’s overall offer is better, but I’m just responding to the stand alone that you said about the 18th overall pick being better than any picks we hold and that all that we hold aren’t even good overall.

That’s just silly.

Yes. Most any GM irl would easily take any of the Phoenix picks or swaps from ‘25 on, and the Dallas pick over the 18th overall in this draft.

The only GM taking that 18th overall over those other picks, will be an unemployed one in due time.

you sure? booker is almost definitely extending on a 35% deal through the 2027-2028 season. KD is under contract through '25-26.

it would seem very unlikely the 2025 pick is 18th or better so i think 2027 is probably the first chance to get a pick better than 9th out of all the picks the nets own.

the philly 2027 pick is protected top 9, so is waiting 5 drafts rational for a max upside of +10 slots?

phoenix 2027 is unprotect and KD is done by then, but with booker likely soon to be under contract through then it's not a lock to be top 10.

i just dont think any GM can realistically expect themselves to be the one making a 2027 pick and as such they would probably just take an 18th overall pick since that's basically middle of the pack. 5 drafts is a long time to wait out a scenario that's basically a coin flip whether or not the pick his higher or lower.
JKiddy
Sixth Man
And1: 329

Post#70 » by JKiddy » Wed Jun 7, 2023 10:47 pm

Okay, here is the deal.

Let's be logical and not emotional as SH&T is GETTING REAL.

Would I take Dame on BK? Yes.

But, there are parameters that are necessary for Dame, POR, and BK.

1) We would have to build around Bridges and Claxton and to a lesser extent keep players that would surround them like CamJo and one of RO/DFS.
2) We won't move our top pieces for Dame because that defeats the purpose of competing
3) The picks we have from PHX and DAL are SUPER VALUABLE NOW. PHX is about to implode (if not next season then the following) and DAL might lose Luka and Kyrie before we own their pick (very very likely).

We can likely use one of those valuable picks, the PHI swap, and another 1st with several expirings for DAME if he demands out.

But you have to remember. Dame is 33. He has a window of maybe 2-3 seasons for a title. We would have to build fast. We would limit the draft picks we keep (maybe to one this season) and make sure we get vets to move this thing forward. Dame will also be making about $45M this season, $49M the next, and $50-$60M the last 2 seasons of his deal.

This is not easy to swallow as those last two years might be overpaying to an extent which would cripple our franchise. I can stomach those first two seasons when he is 33 and 34. But, the last two we would probably be in trouble.

I think we make the move if we don't give up more than 3 picks, 3 expirings, and no players named Bridges, Claxton or Johnson.

If they demand that we can wait for Luka, Giannis, Booker, Ant-man or any other stud to ask out to use our draft capital and such.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#71 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Jun 7, 2023 11:02 pm

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:

you sure? booker is almost definitely extending on a 35% deal through the 2027-2028 season. KD is under contract through '25-26.

it would seem very unlikely the 2025 pick is 18th or better so i think 2027 is probably the first chance to get a pick better than 9th out of all the picks the nets own.

If I’ma betting man, I’d say yes, Phoenix is going to have a big time falloff after another season or 2.

And there is usually a big difference between a pick like the 11th and the 18th, that’s why we always here rumors of trade-ups, but seldom are they executed.

the philly 2027 pick is protected top 9, so is waiting 5 drafts rational for a max upside of +10 slots?

10 slot jump is absolutely massive in most drafts.

And it’s top 8 protected.

phoenix 2027 is unprotect and KD is done by then, but with booker likely soon to be under contract through then it's not a lock to be top 10.

I think people tremendously overrate Booker’s impact on winning.

i just dont think any GM can realistically expect themselves to be the one making a 2027 pick and as such they would probably just take an 18th overall pick since that's basically middle of the pack. 5 drafts is a long time to wait out a scenario that's basically a coin flip whether or not the pick his higher or lower.

I don’t think it’s a coin flip at all. And only a GM on the fringe of getting fired would worry that much about it.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#72 » by GTR11 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 11:06 pm

JKiddy wrote:Okay, here is the deal.

Let's be logical and not emotional as SH&T is GETTING REAL.

Would I take Dame on BK? Yes.

But, there are parameters that are necessary for Dame, POR, and BK.

1) We would have to build around Bridges and Claxton and to a lesser extent keep players that would surround them like CamJo and one of RO/DFS.
2) We won't move our top pieces for Dame because that defeats the purpose of competing
3) The picks we have from PHX and DAL are SUPER VALUABLE NOW. PHX is about to implode (if not next season then the following) and DAL might lose Luka and Kyrie before we own their pick (very very likely).

We can likely use one of those valuable picks, the PHI swap, and another 1st with several expirings for DAME if he demands out.

But you have to remember. Dame is 33. He has a window of maybe 2-3 seasons for a title. We would have to build fast. We would limit the draft picks we keep (maybe to one this season) and make sure we get vets to move this thing forward. Dame will also be making about $45M this season, $49M the next, and $50-$60M the last 2 seasons of his deal.

This is not easy to swallow as those last two years might be overpaying to an extent which would cripple our franchise. I can stomach those first two seasons when he is 33 and 34. But, the last two we would probably be in trouble.

I think we make the move if we don't give up more than 3 picks, 3 expirings, and no players named Bridges, Claxton or Johnson.

If they demand that we can wait for Luka, Giannis, Booker, Ant-man or any other stud to ask out to use our draft capital and such.

For Dame trade to happen Ben will have to be moved in the trade. It will also require 4 to 5 picks from us. Is it worth it?

I'm absolutely against Brown and Dame trades. First, it will require to much of assets, two they not final piece that will put us over the top. So any debate involving them two is laughable to me. I just ignore those debates because either side is wrong.

Matter of fact, I'm at the point right now where I want to see Marks stay put and evaluate our assets first. Than hire legit CHIP CALIBER COACH and only than make a move.

Making a MISTAKE RIGHT NOW WILL SEND US BACK 3-5 WITH NO ASSETS TO WORK WITH.

Making a knee jerk reaction is stupid period. Me, I just go around and troll other boards to make exactly those knee jerk reactions, so they influence media online. The best thing we can do right now is, evaluate what other teams doing and how from there. I expect a lot of moves to happen due to CBA, hirings, players etc.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#73 » by Netaman » Wed Jun 7, 2023 11:27 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Yes. Most any GM irl would easily take any of the Phoenix picks or swaps from ‘25 on, and the Dallas pick over the 18th overall in this draft.

If I’ma betting man, I’d say yes, Phoenix is going to have a big time falloff after another season or 2.

And there is usually a big difference between a pick like the 11th and the 18th, that’s why we always here rumors of trade-ups, but seldom are they executed.

10 slot jump is absolutely massive in most drafts.

And it’s top 8 protected.

I think people tremendously overrate Booker’s impact on winning.

I don’t think it’s a coin flip at all. And only a GM on the fringe of getting fired would worry that much about it.

how many current GMs were GMs of their same team 4 years ago? half maybe? i understand the value of unprotected picks in the future and the hope they represent, but 2027 phoenix is realistically the only one that has a shot at top 10 and it is so far out i just dont see anyone coveting that specific pick.

i can certainly buy a GM in a stable situation coveting a trade that returns 3 or 4 unprotected future firsts because odds are 1 of them does pay out. the nets do have that to offer (plus other picks). i dont think portland is one of those situations though.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#74 » by Tha King » Wed Jun 7, 2023 11:53 pm

no way am I trading those Suns picks for Lillard. For what? To be a 6th seed?

The Suns are heading into the new CBA with maxed out KD, Booker and Ayton with nothing else. The only move they can make is to trade Ayton whose trade value is at its lowest. KD is getting closer to being outside the top 10 and barely plays in the regular season anyways. You keep those picks, develop talent, regain some draft picks and go after a star you can actually build with down the road if you can. Not an undersized defensively limited guard that could very easily be one of the worst contracts in the league soon.
Tha King
Sixth Man

Post#75 » by Tha King » Thu Jun 8, 2023 12:18 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Why do we want Lillard?

We know hes not good enough to be the best player on a Championship team. Hes hurt often. Hes on a crazy contract.

I'm not giving up major assets for him.

And why trade Bridges?

This #3 pick could SUCK. And then what?

Bridges is a STAR. Simmons is coming back. We are fine as is. Don't change anything.

Once Luka/Giannis demand out then I start looking at trades. Till then no thanks.

Right there with you for the most part (wouldn't be against trading Bridges). Lillard is a repeat of what's happened before.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#76 » by Keith Van Horn » Thu Jun 8, 2023 1:19 pm

btw, are we sure Lillard is going to cost so many picks?

I see we've throw around things like 3 or 4 picks... I just don't know about that the more I think about it.

Portland would wisely get as many picks as possible for him if they could. But If Marks says we'll give you

- pick 22 this year
- a pick like the phoenix 2025 one
- a couple 2nds
- expiring of Joe harris so they can open space next year in the post lillard era
- prospect of CamT to see if he's interchangeable with their young guys... jury is still out about him and he's cheap at the moment
- DFS, who's a versatile enough and probable sought after by a few, and maybe they flip him mid season for a 24 1st

to me, a move like this would make sense for Brooklyn and Portland.

Brooklyn gets a big time player in Lillard, who's a motivated veteran that still has tremendous game and could be a perfect mix for the core guys we have now. He plays a position of need for us too. And it doesn't require us to move Simmons or coaxing Portland into having to take him. Simmons can continue to rehab, play for the aussie national team, and come back under less pressure. I bet Dame would be a hell of a leader compared to the jamoke leadership of kyrie and KD.

Who's else is going to throw 3 or more picks at Portland for Lillard? I'm just not sure that's gonna happen. Does he really have THAT many suitors out there?
Tha King
Sixth Man

Post#77 » by Tha King » Thu Jun 8, 2023 1:47 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:btw, are we sure Lillard is going to cost so many picks?

I see we've throw around things like 3 or 4 picks... I just don't know about that the more I think about it.

Portland would wisely get as many picks as possible for him if they could. But If Marks says we'll give you

- pick 22 this year
- a couple 2nds
- expiring of Joe harris so they can open space next year in the post lillard era
- prospect of CamT to see if he's interchangeable with their young guys... jury is still out about him and he's cheap at the moment
- DFS, who's a versatile enough and probable sought after by a few, and maybe they flip him mid season for a 24 1st

Brooklyn gets a big time player in Lillard, who's a motivated veteran that still has tremendous game and could be a perfect mix for the core guys we have now. He plays a position of need for us too. And it doesn't require us to move Simmons or coaxing Portland into having to take him. Simmons can continue to rehab, play for the aussie national team, and come back under less pressure. I bet Dame would be a hell of a leader compared to the jamoke leadership of kyrie and KD.

Who's else is going to throw 3 or more picks at Portland for Lillard? I'm just not sure that's gonna happen. Does he really have THAT many suitors out there?

Good breakdown. I would be okay with that type of trade package for Lillard. Would be better if no Suns future picks are involved and the pick allotment comes from the firsts this year, Sixers, and whatever DFS/Dinwiddie/O'Neale, etc. could return. That way you aren't going all in on what will likely just be a playoff type team and would still have ways of improving down the road.

As for your question on who else would want him - I think the Heat. All it takes is another interested team and I think they could put together a compelling enough offer. It makes sense for them though because they have a player better than him, and if they don't win this year, they are a Lillard away from a possible title.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#78 » by Netaman » Thu Jun 8, 2023 1:56 pm

- pick 22 this year
- a couple 2nds

the offer they will need to beat is the miami offer.

that starts with pick #18 and Herro. both of which are advantage heat over cam thomas/#21 or #22. if they include caleb martin's reasonable deal, that's another advantage over dfs.

their distant future picks aren't as good as the nets, but they still have 1 or 2 and those picks will probably be appealing since butler and lillard are both probably 2-3 good years left. who knows maybe reilly retires, he'll be 80+ when those picks convey.

im not sure the nets can beat that offer, and if they could i dont think we'd want them to. so i think lillard is more likely to miami.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#79 » by TheNetsFan » Thu Jun 8, 2023 2:29 pm

Netaman wrote:

- pick 22 this year
- a couple 2nds

that starts with pick #18 and Herro. both of which are advantage heat over cam thomas/#21 or #22. if they include caleb martin's reasonable deal, that's another advantage over dfs.

their distant future picks aren't as good as the nets, but they still have 1 or 2 and those picks will probably be appealing since butler and lillard are both probably 2-3 good years left. who knows maybe reilly retires, he'll be 80+ when those picks convey.

im not sure the nets can beat that offer, and if they could i dont think we'd want them to. so i think lillard is more likely to miami.

I don't know how desirable Herro would be for Portland. He's expensive and doesn't seem to be a great fit with Sharpe+Simons+Scoot/Miller. Miami currently can't trade their '24, '25, '26 or '27 pick because they owe a protected '25 first to OKC. Theoretically they can negotiate with OKC to unprotect it in '25 or '26 & free up an additional pick for trade.

So the choice for Portland would probably be something like:
Herro+Robinson+Jovic+#18 +1 future 1st
vs
Dinwiddie+Harris+#21+3 future 1sts (or Simmons instead of D+H) (or add Claxton & hold back 1 or 2 1sts)

There's probably alternate variations where a guy like DFS is included to to move up #10 which gets sent to Portland.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#80 » by Netaman » Thu Jun 8, 2023 2:50 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
Netaman wrote:

- pick 22 this year
- a couple 2nds

I don't know how desirable Herro would be for Portland. He's expensive and doesn't seem to be a great fit with Sharpe+Simons+Scoot/Miller. Miami currently can't trade their '24, '25, '26 or '27 pick because they owe a protected '25 first to OKC. Theoretically they can negotiate with OKC to unprotect it in '25 or '26 & free up an additional pick for trade.

So the choice for Portland would probably be something like:
Herro+Robinson+Jovic+#18 +1 future 1st
vs
Dinwiddie+Harris+#21+3 future 1sts (or Simmons instead of D+H) (or add Claxton & hold back 1 or 2 1sts)

There's probably alternate variations where a guy like DFS is included to to move up #10 which gets sent to Portland.

Caleb Martin probably brings back more than DFS and he's a player Portland may have interest in since he's young.

Herro could be re-routed elsewhere for picks if Portlant doesn't want him.

I agree the max offers on both sides could be comparable, but from a nets pov do we even bother if it takes their max offer?

for miami i think that is a yes, im not as sure that's true for the nets.

Return to Brooklyn Nets