ImageImageImageImageImage

Early discussion on the 2023 offseason

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,380

Re: Early discussion on the 2023 offseason 

Post#81 » by Papi_swav » Fri Mar 3, 2023 2:44 am

Tha King wrote:Just looking around the league and trying to think of possible guards that could be available and I am struggling to come up with one that would be better than Simmons at even half of what he was with the Sixers. From playmaking, to rebounding, to elite switchability (can defend guards much better than Bridges) just so many different ways he elevates the team. Even right now at his current level, the team clearly needs him.

I am no longer expecting all star Simmons but is solid starter Simmons out of the question year two coming off injury?

For next season: Simmons, Cam, Bridges, CJ, Claxton with Din, DFS, O'Neale, draft picks and offseason additions is a more interesting team to me than one that trades depth and picks for LaVine, Beal, etc.

yea I'm not really down for trading all our assets for an older injury prone player like Beal or Lavine. I don't really see why guys here are rushing the process, this is what got us here in the first place. No to Beal, No to Lavine, HELL NO to Trae Young, No to Dame. Give me SGA
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#82 » by 3pt_chucker » Fri Mar 3, 2023 3:18 am

My thoughts:
    1. High on my priority list would be to throw money at Naz Reid. He's only 23 and has potential to get even better with a bigger role.
    2. While I'm not thrilled with FVV, if the Nets can pull off some moves to acquire him in FA or S&T (Spence) with Toronto I'd do it.
    3. Get rid of the older vets for picks or high upside younger players.
    4. Let Ben heal in the offseason and hopefully he can recoup some value next season.
    5. Try to trade up in draft if possible and get the best play available regardless of position. If no trade then pick high upside players with size, athleticism and IQ.

Starters: FVV-Bridges-CamJ-Clax-Reid
That's a really high floor but low ceiling team than can play on both sides of the ball and shoot 3s(except Clax). I'm really not sold on Clax as the lone big unless he bulks up. Reid and him are interchangeable as a 4/5. This would be a solid team that would be still have lots of assets left to trade for a star player down the line.

Bench: CamT, Ben, Yuta, Sumner, draft pick(s), vet FA
If I'm Marks or hopefully a new GM, I'm trading both Royce and DFS. They don't fit this current team or timeline at all. Get at least a FRP for DFS and maybe a couple 2nds for Royce. The bench should be filled with young hungry players and the only vets should be mentor types who are on the minimum and don't mind not playing.
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,031

Post#83 » by NetsWorld » Fri Mar 3, 2023 6:13 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
Tha King wrote:Just looking around the league and trying to think of possible guards that could be available and I am struggling to come up with one that would be better than Simmons at even half of what he was with the Sixers. From playmaking, to rebounding, to elite switchability (can defend guards much better than Bridges) just so many different ways he elevates the team. Even right now at his current level, the team clearly needs him.

I am no longer expecting all star Simmons but is solid starter Simmons out of the question year two coming off injury?

For next season: Simmons, Cam, Bridges, CJ, Claxton with Din, DFS, O'Neale, draft picks and offseason additions is a more interesting team to me than one that trades depth and picks for LaVine, Beal, etc.

yea I'm not really down for trading all our assets for an older injury prone player like Beal or Lavine. I don't really see why guys here are rushing the process, this is what got us here in the first place. No to Beal, No to Lavine, HELL NO to Trae Young, No to Dame. Give me SGA

SGA would need to request a trade; but if that happens, I am sure OKC will come looking for all of four of those Phoenix picks.
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,390

Post#84 » by Marvin Martian » Fri Mar 3, 2023 6:49 pm

Papi_swav wrote:

The Nets could offer their whole team and their picks and OKC would still hang up the phone. Might as well ask for Doncic

What got us here was overpaying for a Harden rental and then getting Simmons back which was the worst possible return for a former MVP.

What made us respectable was buying low on players whose stock is down e.g. Dlo. Buying low on Lavine and Young is a better plan than building around a team with no talent.
NetsWorld
Starter

Post#85 » by NetsWorld » Fri Mar 3, 2023 8:06 pm

Bob Windram of NetsDaily posted an interesting piece on Netsdaily.com; he is saying in the article the Nets are NOT tanking at all and are in fact trying to compete and is also saying that it is mainly due to unfamiliarity with one another that the team is performing this way. His article has injected some new light into me; I have ridiculed him in the past but he makes some very important points in the article and one that really caught my eye is the 18.1 million TPE which is the largest in franchise history. He says, as Hollinger also stated, they have one year from Feb 9 to use it, so there plan is most likely to use it in the off seasaon. Folks, it means brace yourself because this is about to be a huge off season for us in terms of moves. It looks like there won't be any prospect chasing but rather they will go after stars that are available.
NetsWorld
Starter

Post#86 » by NetsWorld » Sun Mar 5, 2023 7:44 pm

I get the whole conspiracy thing but JB recently liked a post of Julius Irving in a Nets jersey, so take it for what’s it worth. Also, please don’t be negative about his interaction with Tsai because circumstances and people change
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#87 » by Papi_swav » Sun Mar 5, 2023 10:56 pm

We're going to take Jaylen Brown or Tatum from Boston the same way we did Kyrie :D :lol: 8-) muhahahaha *evil laugh
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#88 » by Keith Van Horn » Mon Mar 6, 2023 5:10 pm

NetsWorld wrote:I get the whole conspiracy thing but JB recently liked a post of Julius Irving in a Nets jersey, so take it for what’s it worth. Also, please don’t be negative about his interaction with Tsai because circumstances and people change

JB = Jaylen Brown?
What happened with him and Tsai?
NetsWorld
Starter

Post#89 » by NetsWorld » Mon Mar 6, 2023 5:45 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:
NetsWorld wrote:I get the whole conspiracy thing but JB recently liked a post of Julius Irving in a Nets jersey, so take it for what’s it worth. Also, please don’t be negative about his interaction with Tsai because circumstances and people change

JB = Jaylen Brown?
What happened with him and Tsai?

JB crticized Tsai for suspending Kyrie and making a list of stuff for him to do before he came back. People will read to much into that and think it will deter stars from coming here but quiet honestly, I don't think so.
NetsWorld
Starter

Post#90 » by NetsWorld » Mon Mar 6, 2023 5:47 pm

Papi_swav wrote:We're going to take Jaylen Brown or Tatum from Boston the same way we did Kyrie :D :lol: 8-) muhahahaha *evil laugh

Very possible that it would happen, but not without the Nets sacrificing picks. Boston will take all four of those Suns picks for either player. But also pay attention to Philly this off season. Only one team can win the East so someone WILL most likely request a trade this off season. It could be Embiid or Brown.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach

Post#91 » by 3pt_chucker » Mon Mar 6, 2023 5:51 pm

NetsWorld wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:We're going to take Jaylen Brown or Tatum from Boston the same way we did Kyrie :D :lol: 8-) muhahahaha *evil laugh

Very possible that it would happen, but not without the Nets sacrificing picks. Boston will take all four of those Suns picks for either player. But also pay attention to Philly this off season. Only one team can win the East so someone WILL most likely request a trade this off season. It could be Embiid or Brown.

I think it makes more sense to sign JB as a FA after next season but if he does ask for a trade now, he has only 1 yr left, so Boston doesn't have that much leverage to demand 4 picks.
NetsWorld
Starter

Post#92 » by NetsWorld » Mon Mar 6, 2023 5:54 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:
NetsWorld wrote:

I think it makes more sense to sign JB as a FA after next season but if he does ask for a trade now, he has only 1 yr left, so Boston doesn't have that much leverage to demand 4 picks.

You might be right, but be prepared to pay a little. I am thinking at least CT/2 picks and potentially Joe Harris as an expiring. If that happens, Tatum isn't staying either...... SO.... Nets have to play everything carefully. Can the Nets get both players?
3pt_chucker
Head Coach

Post#93 » by 3pt_chucker » Mon Mar 6, 2023 6:04 pm

NetsWorld wrote:
3pt_chucker wrote:
NetsWorld wrote:

You might be right, but be prepared to pay a little. I am thinking at least CT/2 picks and potentially Joe Harris as an expiring. If that happens, Tatum isn't staying either...... SO.... Nets have to play everything carefully. Can the Nets get both players?

2 FRPs plus Cam+filler sounds right.

Boston will 100% hang onto Tatum. He has 3 yrs left, he's young at 24, so I don't think he'll want out just because JB leaves. Another star will want to play with Tatum in Boston for sure. Also if he stays there, he'll be super max eligible. No way he's in a hurry to leave.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#94 » by Papi_swav » Tue Mar 7, 2023 1:54 am

NetsWorld wrote:
3pt_chucker wrote:
NetsWorld wrote:

I don't see JB asking out, I just see him walking in FA. He's on the verge of maybe winning a chip but whether he wins or not I can see him wanting to be the star of his own team like kyrie wanted. He's always going to be in Tatums shadow in boston even though he plays better than Tatum at times.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Early discussion on the 2023 offseason 

Post#95 » by Paradise » Tue Mar 7, 2023 1:53 pm

You all do realize Jaylen Brown is NEVER staying or interested in coming here because of Joe Tsai, right?

Who’s offering up Cam and two 1sts for a guy who called our team owner supporter and contributor of communism and genocide?
NetsWorld
Starter

Post#96 » by NetsWorld » Tue Mar 7, 2023 4:25 pm

Paradise wrote:You all do realize Jaylen Brown is NEVER staying or interested in coming here because of Joe Tsai, right?

Who’s offering up Cam and two 1sts for a guy who called our team owner supporter and contributor of communism and genocide?

Someone was bound to read to into this. Never say never.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#97 » by Keith Van Horn » Wed Mar 8, 2023 12:58 am

NetsWorld wrote:
Paradise wrote:You all do realize Jaylen Brown is NEVER staying or interested in coming here because of Joe Tsai, right?

agreed - never say never.

Dudes who are rivals end up becoming teammates all the time. Owners have big egos and want to win. You think that's the worst thing Tsai's ever been called too? Guy didn't get to where he was without having thick skin. I'm sure he wouldn't let something like that bother him.
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,390

Post#98 » by Marvin Martian » Wed Mar 8, 2023 1:44 am

Keith Van Horn wrote:
NetsWorld wrote:

Dudes who are rivals end up becoming teammates all the time. Owners have big egos and want to win. You think that's the worst thing Tsai's ever been called too? Guy didn't get to where he was without having thick skin. I'm sure he wouldn't let something like that bother him.

We have nothing to offer to JB. I think people have let the Ky-KD era get to their heads. This is not a hot FA destination. All those stars that we acquired, came here to play with KD and Ky, not play for Brooklyn. If we want a star, we need to trade for one, or make smart FA signings like the Knicks.
NetsWorld
Starter

Post#99 » by NetsWorld » Wed Mar 8, 2023 2:12 am

Marvin Martian wrote:
Keith Van Horn wrote:
NetsWorld wrote:

We have nothing to offer to JB. I think people have let the Ky-KD era get to their heads. This is not a hot FA destination. All those stars that we acquired, came here to play with KD and Ky, not play for Brooklyn. If we want a star, we need to trade for one, or make smart FA signings like the Knicks.

Nets acquiring KD/Kyrie changed the landscape and how the team is viewed. We are not the old Nets. And if need be, we’ll do what we have to to get star players here. Nets WILL get more superstars
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,449

Post#100 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Mar 8, 2023 3:13 am

Beginning to legitimately believe we have a strong chance at Ja Morant this summer.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.

Return to Brooklyn Nets