ImageImageImageImageImage

So, are we tanking now ?

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,838

So, are we tanking now ? 

Post#1 » by sashaturiaf » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:03 am

To make the most of a bad situation, we do have a swap with the Rockets this season which means that while we aren't getting French freak, if we can avoid the play-in we can still get a lower end lottery pick.

The success rate of #12 picks aren't very high so I'm not sure it's worth it, but it can allow us to give big development minutes to Cam Sharpe and Dru Smith even... While our wings can split minutes to maintain or raise their trade value while not overburdening anyone to risk injury.

I was about to type Kessler Edwards as one of the development guys but then I remembered we traded him 1 day before we decided to blow it up. Thanks Marks
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Re: So, are we tanking now ? 

Post#2 » by GYK » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:10 am

No. If they have any brain cells they shouldn’t. Just brought in clear starters who are mid twenties. Nic is excellent on defense and young.
We could make another move. Personally I want OG Anunoby. Core of mid twenties two ways with a two bench. That’s an hard out. Contention might be out the vocabulary but oh well.
Tank in the 2030’s or so. Now play the role of spoilers and with development maybe contenders.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,389

Post#3 » by Papi_swav » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:28 am

Na I don't see us going full tank mode, we have too many players that actually plays hard on both sides for that. We definitely will slip in standings though but I don't see us completely missing the play ins because we racked up too many wins at this point. I think we're #5 now, I can see us being a play in team but it'll be fun if we can upset a top team in the playoffs lol alot of teams wouldn't want to face us.

Going full tank mode doesn't help either as we've seen in past years. We got Nic claxton and Cam and Allen late in the draft and if we do a redraft of those years they'll most def be a lottery pick the way they've been playing. It's all in scouting, drafting right and developing well which we have been doing pretty well.

So we'll probably have a mid teens pick this year (ours) and the Suns pick somewhere in the 20s depending on where they finish. And I assume we'll have more picks with upcoming trades. I can live with that. Next year is all about developing.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,127

Post#4 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:53 am

Nah we're definitely not.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,175

Post#5 » by Rastas » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:54 am

Oh Ye of Little Faith!
bigg mike
Junior
And1: 37

Post#6 » by bigg mike » Thu Feb 9, 2023 10:55 am

No reason to with the Rockets pick swaps still attached. These last few moves set up the Nets for a good foundation to make some big moves by using others draft picks. Might be big buyers as the deadline approaches or draft night.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#7 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Feb 9, 2023 10:58 am

bigg mike wrote:No reason to with the Rockets pick swaps still attached. These last few moves set up the Nets for a good foundation to make some big moves by using others draft picks. Might be big buyers as the deadline approaches or draft night.

This!

We can't take because we don't on our own draft picks through 2027, iirc. We need to field a relevant team at least until then.
Lachiebkn
Freshman
And1: 42

Post#8 » by Lachiebkn » Thu Feb 9, 2023 11:00 am

We won’t tank. Our roster is still too good. Excited to see claxton expand his game offensively though. The guy has immense potential. Adebayo and better
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,626

Post#9 » by jirrit » Thu Feb 9, 2023 11:49 am

Hm as an outsider I’d be intrigued to tank though. There’s not that much to gain. Not saying full tank but I’d be aiming for a pick in the tens.
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Post#10 » by Sharcm1 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 11:54 am

Yeah let’s get Houston the number one pick lol.
jirrit
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by jirrit » Thu Feb 9, 2023 12:06 pm

Sharcm1 wrote:Yeah let’s get Houston the number one pick lol.

Lets say you now semi-tank and get the #11 before lottery & Houston lets say #4. If you then magically land the #1 pick you still get the chance to pick maybe even second but 7th at worst. Thats a HUGE asset there. You guys might be competing a bit with this current roster but can we agree that a second round exit is about as good as it would get?

You dont have much draft capital. Try to gain as much as possible imo, certainly knowing the situation with Houston cause now they 100% suck so you’ll get a good pick anyway.
Minnamaker
Sophomore
And1: 100

Post#12 » by Minnamaker » Thu Feb 9, 2023 12:09 pm

I think we are in a very strange situation. Currently the 5 seed with the all-star break coming up. Our record is too good to consider tanking. Also we have a very deep team, but no stars.

copy/paste from a GB post:

Spencer Dinwiddie / Seth Curry / Patty Mills
Cam Thomas / Joe Harris / Edmund Sumner
Mikal Bridges / Royce O'Neale / Jae Crowder
Dorian Finney-Smith / Cam Johnson / Yuta Watanabe
Nic Claxton / Ben Simmons / Day'Ron Sharpe

every single one is kind of playable and could be worthy on the right roster. We got more size and 3&D player than before, but we don't have any roster construction and will certainly struggle on offense. I think we won't have a clear rotation the rest of the year, therefore I don't give us much chances in competitive games.

I would not be surprised to see
- Simmons not playing many minutes anymore
- Cam Thomas leading the offense (which I don't think he is capable of)
- Curry or Mills falling out of rotation

As tanking will probably not be a viable option the next few years. There are two things I hope happens:

- trade for another allstar that can create his own shot. We have so many quality players who cannot share the floor at the same time. Curry-Harris-Mills + Cam can't share the floor much, but could all help other teams. On the other hand we only have 1 Center (Clax) and about 2 players who can create their own shot and partially lead an offense (Cam and Dinwiddie). So we probably need Claxton + either Dinwiddie or Cam on the floor. There are not many spots left for the other players. We need to trade them before they fall out of rotation and don't have any value left.

- somehow miraculously trade Simmons for whatever. He had a role with Irving and Durant on the floor, but not anymore. His lack of offense cannot be compensated without the offensive talent of Irving and Durant.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

So, are we tanking now ? 

Post#13 » by Paradise » Thu Feb 9, 2023 12:22 pm

We own our first rounder this year, folks. It’s at 24. We could continue a playoff run or tank to get a mid lottery pick but I don’t see that happening.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#14 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Feb 9, 2023 1:31 pm

jirrit wrote:Hm as an outsider I’d be intrigued to tank though. There’s not that much to gain. Not saying full tank but I’d be aiming for a pick in the tens.

We don't have ownership of our picks, you make no sense.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#15 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Feb 9, 2023 1:31 pm

Paradise wrote:We own our first rounder this year, folks. It’s at 24. We could continue a playoff run or tank to get a mid lottery pick but I don’t see that happening.

We're making the playoffs.

jirrit
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by jirrit » Thu Feb 9, 2023 3:09 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
jirrit wrote:Hm as an outsider I’d be intrigued to tank though. There’s not that much to gain. Not saying full tank but I’d be aiming for a pick in the tens.

We don't have ownership of our picks, you make no sense.

Oh I thought it was a swap with Houston. Then no it doesn’t make sense lol.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#17 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 4:09 pm

I see us fighting to be competitive based on the current cast on hand. We may dip into the play in but maybe not....

which is funny to me.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#18 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 4:11 pm

Read on Twitter
?cxt=HHwWjMCz-Yj8v4gtAAAA

THis year is a SWAP option with Houston. However due to the current standings, unless we won lotto, houston ain't swapping thus you'll see more of the wording, "we have our pick this year" because its not gonna be swap
The ModFather

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 4:11 pm

there's also a pick to be moved to Utah IIRC... idk if the tweet above accounted for that
The ModFather

MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#20 » by MGrand15 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 4:14 pm

Let's see how the rest of the deadline shakes out but as of right now, we could trade Royce, Seth, Crowder for picks.

We'd still be better than the Knicks who aren't tanking :lol:

Return to Brooklyn Nets