ImageImageImageImageImage

Perhaps, just perhaps, Marks is on to something..... HERE ME OUT

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,031

Perhaps, just perhaps, Marks is on to something..... HERE ME OUT 

Post#1 » by NetsWorld » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:28 pm

Lost in all this hoopla of our own two stars getting traded is the return for KD/Kyrie was VERY STRATEGIC to say the least. Something on twitter caught my eye, in 2004, we had an extremely talented and starless Detroit Pistons team which essentially throttled and abused teams handily with its crazy defense. This Nets team, to some degree, not exactly the same, reminds me of that team in terms of its length and ability to defend.....OF COURSE Detroit did it better, holding teams to 75 PPG is no small feat. But may, just maybe, Vaughn gets these guys to truly buy into defense as its main ingredient in winning now and in the future, perhaps the defense will be our superstar...... We shall see how this team progresses, and there will be rocky roads along the way, but what I saw against the Bulls is the Bulls really struggled to score and get comfortable shots off until they started attacking the paint and the Nets adjusted their D to thwart as well. Will it be that in a year from now we will talk about our new all star "Defense" is superior to our previous scoring all stars, KD/Kyrie, highly doubtful but hey, just a thought. Thoughts anyone? Does this team have the defensive potential to contend?
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Re: Perhaps, just perhaps, Marks is on to something..... HERE ME OUT 

Post#2 » by Paradise » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:13 pm

I agree but not adding a big is alarming. No excuse not to bolster that at the deadline, even the post-Melo Nuggets had some pretty solid bigs. They got better and made the playoffs consistently while the Knicks didn’t due to no size.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,080

Post#3 » by Netaman » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:20 pm

Paradise wrote:I agree but not adding a big is alarming. No excuse not to bolster that at the deadline, even the post-Melo Nuggets had some pretty solid bigs. They got better and made the playoffs consistently while the Knicks didn’t due to no size.

i think they are going to add a dedmon or ibaka in FA. sharpe looked good last night. simmons can log minutes as the first backup big off the bench.

without KD it's a lot less of an issue and would have been asset malpractice to give up a FRP just to improve the backup C spot.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,080

Post#4 » by Netaman » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:24 pm

the comparison to the pistons isn't terrible but there are some differences. the 2 main ones being mr. big shot and rip hamilton.

hamilton was basically one of the best close quarters killers in the nba when they needed a tough bucket and chauncey was the prototypical floor general who hit every shot his team's needed from deep.

the nets backcourt is going to determine how far they go this year and if dinwiddie plays like mr big shot and cam becomes a ruthlessly efficient scorer they may win a round. im not sure either of those things happens though, let alone both.
NetsWorld
Starter

Post#5 » by NetsWorld » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:31 pm

Netaman wrote:the comparison to the pistons isn't terrible but there are some differences. the 2 main ones being mr. big shot and rip hamilton.

hamilton was basically one of the best close quarters killers in the nba when they needed a tough bucket and chauncey was the prototypical floor general who hit every shot his team's needed from deep.

the nets backcourt is going to determine how far they go this year and if dinwiddie plays like mr big shot and cam becomes a ruthlessly efficient scorer they may win a round. im not sure either of those things happens though, let alone both.

Well for this year, yes, but next year, they have an opportunity to add a Mr.Bigshot scorer, I am looking at Jaylen Brown and he perfectly compliments this team, if not a Jayson Tatum. It will also, sadly, depend on the success of Boston. If Boston wins, no way either of them get moved. But I am 100 percent certain Marks has his eyes on both of them.
Born_Ready
Veteran
And1: 476

Post#6 » by Born_Ready » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:35 pm

I think there is some validity to your take for sure. I mentioned yesterday that this new roster would look a lot different defensively going forward.

Hell, a month ago or whenever Brooklyn played Chicago last with (KD&KAI) they couldn't stop Chicago and lost, but last night they pretty much held their own defensively. I mean... you know what I mean.... Zach got his, but they were able to limit Demar DeRozan somewhat offensively. Vucevic gunna get his due to the lack of the Nets having a true big man defending him.

Conversating with my oldest son last night (diehard Mavs fan) we were discussing DFS. And, my son said how much Dallas was going to miss his toughness and how he can pretty much guard 1-4. I watched him quite a bit last night, and when he was on Demar, he was forcing Demar into some bad looks. Once Vaughn gets Bridges incorporated into the mix, the perimeter defense is only going to flourish even more imo. I can't wait for that.

Jacque had his Orlando teams playing pretty hard and disciplined bball if I remember correctly. Kept the Magic in the middle of the pack in the East. This current Nets team is better than that Orlando team he coached, but the East is more top sided this time around. I am hopeful he can keep this team afloat, get them to the playoffs, and anything goes. I got my popcorn ready.
OKC Thunder fan, too.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,047

Post#7 » by Hello Brooklyn » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:45 pm

Paradise wrote:I agree but not adding a big is alarming. No excuse not to bolster that at the deadline, even the post-Melo Nuggets had some pretty solid bigs. They got better and made the playoffs consistently while the Knicks didn’t due to no size.

Sharpe played really well last night.

Without Championship aspirations I way rather develop him then add some washed up big.

Guy is an excellent rebounder and can protect the rim.
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,400

Post#8 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:04 pm

NetsWorld wrote:Lost in all this hoopla of our own two stars getting traded is the return for KD/Kyrie was VERY STRATEGIC to say the least. Something on twitter caught my eye, in 2004, we had an extremely talented and starless Detroit Pistons team which essentially throttled and abused teams handily with its crazy defense. This Nets team, to some degree, not exactly the same, reminds me of that team in terms of its length and ability to defend.....OF COURSE Detroit did it better, holding teams to 75 PPG is no small feat. But may, just maybe, Vaughn gets these guys to truly buy into defense as its main ingredient in winning now and in the future, perhaps the defense will be our superstar...... We shall see how this team progresses, and there will be rocky roads along the way, but what I saw against the Bulls is the Bulls really struggled to score and get comfortable shots off until they started attacking the paint and the Nets adjusted their D to thwart as well. Will it be that in a year from now we will talk about our new all star "Defense" is superior to our previous scoring all stars, KD/Kyrie, highly doubtful but hey, just a thought. Thoughts anyone? Does this team have the defensive potential to contend?

Chicago shot 3 ball 5/26 =19% and they missed plenty of open 3 pointers

I get the point that we were without Bridges and Clax so it’s hard to judge , but we won this game more because Bulls were unable hit their shots than anything else
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:13 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:

Sharpe played really well last night.

Without Championship aspirations I way rather develop him then add some washed up big.

Guy is an excellent rebounder and can protect the rim.

He is as butterfingers as they come , he got no business on any NBA team
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:17 pm

NetsWorld wrote:
Netaman wrote:the comparison to the pistons isn't terrible but there are some differences. the 2 main ones being mr. big shot and rip hamilton.

Well for this year, yes, but next year, they have an opportunity to add a Mr.Bigshot scorer, I am looking at Jaylen Brown and he perfectly compliments this team, if not a Jayson Tatum. It will also, sadly, depend on the success of Boston. If Boston wins, no way either of them get moved. But I am 100 percent certain Marks has his eyes on both of them.

Jalen Brown will never play for the Nets as lon as Tsai is an owner , he openly criticized Tsai in Kyrie last fiasco
Pay attention what’s going on behind the scenes , not only on basketball court
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,838

Post#11 » by sashaturiaf » Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:13 pm

could be a cost cutting move. I believe the Nets are now under the luxury tax for this season which means more money in Tsais pockets.

Given wins are less of a priority than player development now, it wouldnt surprise me if we just rolled with Sharpe for the rest of the season as the backup 5 along with cycling 10 day contract guys if Clax or him get hurt.
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,406

Post#12 » by Marvin Martian » Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:25 pm

04 pistons would be a play in team today. Offense has gotten much better. Much more shooting and space.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#13 » by 3pt_chucker » Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:28 pm

The current teams ceiling is 2nd round if they get injury luck but I'm warming to the idea to let Marks mold the team to something better given all the resources it has right now.

I just don't fully trust him since it always feels like the roster in unbalanced in his whole tenure here.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#14 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:14 pm

sashaturiaf wrote:

could be a cost cutting move. I believe the Nets are now under the luxury tax for this season which means more money in Tsais pockets.

Given wins are less of a priority than player development now, it wouldnt surprise me if we just rolled with Sharpe for the rest of the season as the backup 5 along with cycling 10 day contract guys if Clax or him get hurt.

This is it. Use that open spot to test out some G-Leaguers and 10 day guys. Don't bring in a washed up big for the sake of having another big people have heard of. Give Sharpe & Simmons more time there. Experiment with small ball lineups. Come playoff time, we we still need a banger, go pick up Dwight Howard or somebody like that. Priority should be finding a younger diamond in the rough though.
NetsWorld
Starter

Post#15 » by NetsWorld » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:17 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:

This is it. Use that open spot to test out some G-Leaguers and 10 day guys. Don't bring in a washed up big for the sake of having another big people have heard of. Give Sharpe & Simmons more time there. Experiment with small ball lineups. Come playoff time, we we still need a banger, go pick up Dwight Howard or somebody like that. Priority should be finding a younger diamond in the rough though.

Getting DH at this point in the season means the Nets are going to try and make a run of some sort.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,127

Post#16 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:48 pm

*hear
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#17 » by GYK » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:26 pm

04 Pistons had Ben Wallace. Arguably the GREATEST defensive player ever. Certainly anchored a playoff run that was all time.
So unless you think someone is on par with Ben Wallace I’ll say homer thinking.
Stop praising Marks.
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=Ebb6n_SLZ2YQ-DQ5pwMlVg
NetsWorld
Starter

Post#18 » by NetsWorld » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:35 pm

GYK wrote:04 Pistons had Ben Wallace. Arguably the GREATEST defensive player ever. Certainly anchored a playoff run that was all time.
Stop praising Marks.
Read on Twitter

We were not winning with KD/Siakam, hate to break it to you; and it's not homer thinking to try and hypothesize ways this team can take a big strength on the defensive end with multiple defenders being able to defend and switch and strangle teams the way the 04 Pistons used to do. Who is to say the Nets cannot develop an anchor for that; things may not always work out the way you want but you have to be optimistic. The biggest positive takeaway from Marks interview yesterday was he said it's not a complete rebuild and the goal was to win a championship. He also stated his goal is to use the picks as assets/flexibility. This is not your typical star trade of the past where the Nets go in purgatory for the next 10 years.... THOSE DAYS ARE LONG GONE.
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Post#19 » by Sharcm1 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:41 pm

There is one major difference. The nba is not the same as it used to be. Way more fouls are called allowing for offensive players to get points anyway. And you can play the best defense on players like curry and Durant and they will still score. The game has changed too much for that to be as effective

Not to say the comparison isn’t a good one. It’s a similar team. Nic even reminds me of Ben Wallace a little with his game.

This team can win games. They will be a playoff or close to it team with this group of players. Spencer can score and create. Cam can score and the others can shoot and defend. They will beat teams. They will beat good teams. But they won’t win playoff series and championships. You don’t need a big three for that but you need at least a big one.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,047

Post#20 » by Hello Brooklyn » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:42 pm

GYK wrote:04 Pistons had Ben Wallace. Arguably the GREATEST defensive player ever. Certainly anchored a playoff run that was all time.
Stop praising Marks.
Read on Twitter

Toronto wasn't trading us Siakim. They don't want to rebuild.

And if they did it would have cost Claxton, Cam, Dallas pick, our other two first rounders.

Not at all worth it. Were not beating the best teams in the East without Claxton period.

Not to mention Siakim was horrific in the playoffs vs Boston last time.

This is the problem with KD. Hes a horrible GM. Hes obsessed with playing with "big names."

If he thought about the team he had was very good. And they could have made another move to get John Collins if KD agreed to stay.

Dinwddie/DFS/KD/Collins/Claxton

Plus we could have added Mo Bamba or Plumee off the bench.

An elite defensive team with shooters. Youre telling me that can't compete with anyone???

It would probably be better than the team with Siakim. But hes too short sighted.

He'd rather go crash and burn on another superteam with 40 year old Chris Paul.

Return to Brooklyn Nets