ImageImageImageImageImage

2023 NBA Draft watch

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

2023 NBA Draft watch 

Post#1 » by JoseRizal » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:17 am

I don't know if we already have a topic like this, but I guess it's been a while since we had FRP's (3 this year?).

I know that we're out of the Victor sweepstakes, but do you guys know ideal prospects we can take a look at? There's no updated mock draft, but it appears that this year's class is top heavy. Any chance we bundle the picks to move up?

I've already moved on from the loss of the big 3, so I think this is a good exercise to detoxify. :lol:
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,415

Re: 2023 NBA Draft watch 

Post#2 » by Papi_swav » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:11 am

Yes this is the thread we needed. We only have 2 first round picks this year and I imagine it'll be in the high teens (ours) and the mid 20s (suns). But hopefully suns can keep losing until KD comes back just to lower the seeding. I trust Marks and his scouts when it comes to drafting. He's done pretty well through the years except for the Musa pick

I got my eyes on this kid Baba Miller from Florida state. I like his measurements and he has guard skills at 6'11, maybe good for our 2nd rounder.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#3 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:40 am

Great thread. It’s a good way to refocus our energies on new and different things compared to all of the toxicity we’ve endured with our previous era.

I think we’re in a pretty good spot considering our draft capital and that we have players who can be included in a trade to move up in the draft.

I haven’t done any research into this years class, but I’ll get started soon.

My one hot take though is that I have doubts about Wemby’s durability in the league. Like Porzingis, I think he might be too tall and skinny to run 35+mpg for 82 games. For his own sake, I hope I’m wrong though.
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,175

Post#4 » by Rastas » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:57 am

[quote="NyCeEvO"]Great thread. It’s a good way to refocus our energies on new and different things compared to all of the toxicity we’ve endured with our previous era.

I think we’re in a pretty good spot considering our draft capital and that we have players who can be included in a trade to move up in the draft.

I haven’t done any research into this years class, but I’ll get started soon.

My one hot take though is that I have doubts about Wemby’s durability in the league. Like Porzingis, I think he might be too tall and skinny to run 35+mpg for 82 games. For his own sake, I hope I’m wrong th

No you are correct to have doubts , I'm the same and players like Wemby and especially Chet are not built to have long NBA careers.
njnets62892
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#5 » by njnets62892 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:58 am

Haven't had to care about the draft in years but here we are lol.

This is supposedly a very strong class and I believe we have 3 picks (PHX, worst of PHI/UTA, and our own).

I think they should strongly consider trying to package those picks and trading into the top 10 if possible and there's a prospect they really like. Gotta swing big at finding a star caliber player in the draft while waiting for established ones to shake loose.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#6 » by TheNetsFan » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:33 am

As of now, we would have #20 (PHX) and #24 (ours). We need to hope Phoenix falls in to the play-in. They're currently 1.5 games up on the 7 seed.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,458

Post#7 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:01 pm

I don’t see us keeping either of these picks tbh.

Marks isn’t likely to force a trade for the sake of it, but we have too deep a roster with too many high level young guys, but only 2 blue chip types, Bridges and Clax.

And these picks are going to be late.

Either he’ll move into the top 10 with both picks, and some combination of Simmons, Cam, Cam, Harris, etc., or use the same pool plus possibly a future pick for a guy like OG, or pull a blockbuster for a KAT, SGA, Jamal Murray or maybe even Trae Young.

Probably better off discussing guys likely to fall in say the 5-15 range, that’s the only spot I see us actually drafting from this year.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,127

Post#8 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:20 pm

Package the picks to move up or use them to add another piece to this group.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,838

Post#9 » by sashaturiaf » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:16 pm

Fully onboard with packaging those picks in a consolidation trade for a star if that was on the table.

However if we were to draft for need, I can see us getting some value at the positions where we need help most (1 and 5) since they're currently considered positions of lesser importance. The positions where we do have a logjam are overvalued in the draft as any 6'8 athlete seems to go in the lottery irrespective of ability (Cam Reddish top 10 anyone). I don't follow the college game at all but this is supposedly a strong draft and there could be some real good talents that could slip, and with 3 picks we'd be able to take advantage.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,127

Post#10 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:27 pm

sashaturiaf wrote:Fully onboard with packaging those picks in a consolidation trade for a star if that was on the table.

However if we were to draft for need, I can see us getting some value at the positions where we need help most (1 and 5) since they're currently considered positions of lesser importance. The positions where we do have a logjam are overvalued in the draft as any 6'8 athlete seems to go in the lottery irrespective of ability (Cam Reddish top 10 anyone). I don't follow the college game at all but this is supposedly a strong draft and there could be some real good talents that could slip, and with 3 picks we'd be able to take advantage.

PG, PF, and C imo are our positions of need, i need to start doing a deep dive through the mocks to see what possible targets are there. I think Men's College ball is kinda ass now so it's hard to watch
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,080

Post#11 » by Netaman » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:36 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:I don’t see us keeping either of these picks tbh.

Marks isn’t likely to force a trade for the sake of it, but we have too deep a roster with too many high level young guys, but only 2 blue chip types, Bridges and Clax.

Either he’ll move into the top 10 with both picks, and some combination of Simmons, Cam, Cam, Harris, etc., or use the same pool plus possibly a future pick for a guy like OG, or pull a blockbuster for a KAT, SGA, Jamal Murray or maybe even Trae Young.

Probably better off discussing guys likely to fall in say the 5-15 range, that’s the only spot I see us actually drafting from this year.

pretty much exactly how i see it and im personally rooting for the scenario where he gets a top 10 pick. i think 2 FRPs+Cam T could get that done. if OG was worth a top 10 pick last year, Cam J could also be a piece to move up though im sure they'd prefer to get him extended.

i'd love to see the marksman finally get a top 10 pick. imagine this frontcourt and moving up for someone who falls farther than they should like haliburton?
Netaman
Analyst

Post#12 » by Netaman » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:42 pm

from some early reading the 4 guards who i'm intrigued by are Nick Smith, Cason Wallace, Keyonte George, and Anthony Black. all were top 20 recruits coming into this year and had varying degrees of success/inconsistency. Their rankings are kind of all over the place but all are pretty consistently top 15 but not top 5. so they could be in that 'gettable' window pairing 2 picks likely to be in the low 20's.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#13 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:42 pm

Netaman wrote:

pretty much exactly how i see it and im personally rooting for the scenario where he gets a top 10 pick. i think 2 FRPs+Cam T could get that done. if OG was worth a top 10 pick last year, Cam J could also be a piece to move up though im sure they'd prefer to get him extended.

i'd love to see the marksman finally get a top 10 pick. imagine this frontcourt and moving up for someone who falls farther than they should like haliburton?

Yup yup.

Or this draft’s Paul George, or Greek Freak, Donovan Mitchell, Steph Curry, etc.?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#14 » by Netaman » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:46 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:

Yup yup.

Or this draft’s Paul George, or Greek Freak, Donovan Mitchell, Steph Curry, etc.?

and i think we heard marks tried to move up for mitchell at that draft. bridges too i think.

over the next couple months i hope marks looks back on his tenure and agrees that his best moves were identifying levert, allen, claxton, and cam. and that accommodating super stars is apparently harder/riskier than good drafting + good development.

by all means if there's a good deal out there for a star in some kind of a contract dispute id pounce but i wouldnt just go shipping out all the picks for whoever the next malcontent is. hopefully another lesson learned is the need to add guys with the kd/jimmy butler mentality, not the kyrie/harden/simmons mentality.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#15 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:50 pm

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:

Yup yup.

and i think we heard marks tried to move up for mitchell at that draft. bridges too i think.

over the next couple months i hope marks looks back on his tenure and agrees that his best moves were identifying levert, allen, claxton, and cam. and that accommodating super stars is apparently harder/riskier than good drafting + good development.

by all means if there's a good deal out there for a star in some kind of a contract dispute id pounce but i wouldnt just go shipping out all the picks for whoever the next malcontent is. hopefully another lesson learned is the need to add guys with the kd/jimmy butler mentality, not the kyrie/harden/simmons mentality.

And not to stir the pot lol, but I really hope Simmons is shipped out this summer, somehow, someway.

I get he isn’t fully back physically, but his desire and attitude stinks.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#16 » by Netaman » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:56 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:And not to stir the pot lol, but I really hope Simmons is shipped out this summer, somehow, someway.

that's part of why im encouraged by him looking better in the first game post-KD and why id consider starting him next if cam t doesn't work out. they have 2 months to build him up like they did with dlo and ship him out.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#17 » by TheNetsFan » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:18 pm

Trading 2 picks in the same draft rarely moves you up more than a couple of spots. It's not worth it. Moving up more substantially typically requires a player, near future unprotected pick, or taking back a salary dump. Packaging 20 and 24 will typically only get you to 17 or 18, with 18 being more likely. I could see Marks trading one for a pick in '24.

If we do try to move up, it's likely with future picks or a player.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#18 » by Netaman » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:21 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:Trading 2 picks in the same draft rarely moves you up more than a couple of spots. It's not worth it. Moving up more substantially typically requires a player, near future unprotected pick, or taking back a salary dump. Packaging 20 and 24 will typically only get you to 17 or 18, with 18 being more likely. I could see Marks trading one for a pick in '24.

If we do try to move up, it's likely with future picks or a player.

that's fine and all possible.

oneal or dfs with a first could probably move them from 20 to 10 or something like that.

cam johnson could be worth a lotto pick by themself if they decide they'd rather cash him in then pay him.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#19 » by TheNetsFan » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:25 pm

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:

Yup yup.

Lowe was saying on his podcast that he believes that if Marks had his way, he thinks only KD would have been signed, and that he wanted to see how KD fit with DLo, Dinwiddie, LeVert, Allen, Harris, etc. Unfortunately, KD wanted to play with another star, and he wanted Kyrie

I expect that Marks will try that approach again in '24 or '25. Try to add one star to whatever core we have left. Luckily, Bridges and to a lesser extent DFS, Dinwiddie and Johnson have more credibility and a bigger resume than that 2019 group of guys. Maybe that's an easier sell this time around.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#20 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:32 pm

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:

Yup yup.

And not to stir the pot lol, but I really hope Simmons is shipped out this summer, somehow, someway.

Return to Brooklyn Nets