Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,177

Re: Early discussion on the 2023 offseason 

Post#1461 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Wed Aug 9, 2023 8:26 am

Netaman wrote:
Tha King wrote:
Netaman wrote:Cam Thomas turning into anything close to Herro is a stretch for me. He's been worse at basically everything as a pro and despite obvious scoring skill couldn't get his way into the lineup at the end of the year when they obviously needed more scoring.

Herro on the other hand since his rookie year has not just found roles, but done so on winning teams and produced in the playoffs.

Let's see Cam find a way to carve out a regular role in regular season before comparing him in any way/shape/form to Herro. The talent is there but he's Marshon Brooks until he proves otherwise.

I would assume if there's a Herro to Nets deal, it's with Royce and DFS getting traded, maybe one of the Miami since either would be helpful role players there on a team looking to contend.

Everything depends on the Lillard/Miami talks, which are mostly unknown other than that we know they are happening.

Herro found a role as a bench scorer on a defensive team that needed his offensive skillset. Thomas was drafted into a superteam with offensive stars and still had moments when given the opportunity. The situations they were drafted into has to be considered.

Herro first two seasons on/off and per 36 ppg:
Year 1: -8.4 ; 17.7ppg
Year 2: -5.3 ; 17.9ppg

Cam Thomas:
Year 1: -10.9 ; 17.4ppg
Year 2: -3.3 ; 22.9ppg

Both net negatives because they don't give you much beyond scoring but Herro was in an ideal situation where he could play minutes and get his inefficient points without any defense because he had elite defense and playmakers around him.

Hopefully this doesn't get misconstrued as hyping Cam Thomas. It's just I don't think there's a ton of value in the Cam Thomas/Herro archetype of guard which factors in what I think Brooklyn should trade for Herro and the point where developing Cam Thomas makes more sense.

Herro is a different archetype if you believe he can an elite shooter, which I do. I think he's a better version of Reddick, who made a lot of money over his career for pretty good reason.

I don't believe Cam is or can be an elite shooter. until he proves he can carve out any sort of regular role the good games are fools gold. With all the injuries the nets had the last couple years he has had chances to earl regular minutes and he couldnt do it when they were superstar driven, load managing, or a scrappy team of non-scorers.

Herro just has a higher BBIQ than Cam in every other way until further notice. Herro is a sneaky good rebounder, can actually operate as a playmaker, and while his defensive numbers aren't good they are better than Cam's. he's thrived as a 6th man and as a starter. he's fit into a team culture. cam's done none of those things.

What team culture Cam supposed to Join ? Elaborate

Kyries culture , Hardens culture ? Nash culture ?

This "culture" word is used to loosely, Nets as an organization haven’t had any culture since Atkinson stepped out the door

We’ve been laughingstock of the league during whole Cam Thomas tenure here , maybe we’re on a good tracks to get some culture back with Mikal Bridges and C Johnson

Front office and coaching staff leaves lot to be desired though
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,070

Post#1462 » by Netaman » Wed Aug 9, 2023 2:35 pm

ArksNetsSince99 wrote:

This "culture" word is used to loosely, Nets as an organization haven’t had any culture since Atkinson stepped out the door

We’ve been laughingstock of the league during whole Cam Thomas tenure here , maybe we’re on a good tracks to get some culture back with Mikal Bridges and C Johnson

The Nets have not had a consistent culture but dont act like there haven't been younger players who got opportunities and developed themselves even these last few years - Bruce Brown, Nic Claxton, Yuta, to name a few. They didnt do anything particularly complicated, they had athleticism, played defense, and generally took the opportunities they were given offensively to score efficiently because of the fact that they were playing around super stars who demanded a lot of attention.

Cam is a different type of player and clearly more offensively skilled, yet was either incapable of adapting his game to finding a role other than ballhog or unwilling. Also unable to earn the trust of either nash or jv. there were clearly roles there he had the talent to take but didnt because he couldn't fit into any semblance of team basketball. kd is literally the most fit versatile super star in recent nba history since he doesn't need the ball in his hands and cam couldnt even find a consistent bench role when kyrie was off the floor.

Many on this board seem to want to believe he's an under utilized tryese maxey, but if anyone in the NBA thought there was even a 10% chance of that being true they would have traded something good enough for him at the deadline that Durant would probably still be a net.
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant

Post#1463 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Wed Aug 9, 2023 9:13 pm

Netaman wrote:
ArksNetsSince99 wrote:

The Nets have not had a consistent culture but dont act like there haven't been younger players who got opportunities and developed themselves even these last few years - Bruce Brown, Nic Claxton, Yuta, to name a few. They didnt do anything particularly complicated, they had athleticism, played defense, and generally took the opportunities they were given offensively to score efficiently because of the fact that they were playing around super stars who demanded a lot of attention.

Cam is a different type of player and clearly more offensively skilled, yet was either incapable of adapting his game to finding a role other than ballhog or unwilling. Also unable to earn the trust of either nash or jv. there were clearly roles there he had the talent to take but didnt because he couldn't fit into any semblance of team basketball. kd is literally the most fit versatile super star in recent nba history since he doesn't need the ball in his hands and cam couldnt even find a consistent bench role when kyrie was off the floor.

Many on this board seem to want to believe he's an under utilized tryese maxey, but if anyone in the NBA thought there was even a 10% chance of that being true they would have traded something good enough for him at the deadline that Durant would probably still be a net.

That’s exactly my problem with this so called culture and front office of the Nets

2 of 3 names you mentioned in the very first paragraph is gone

Bruce Brown who was superior for both the Nets and Nuggets got dumped for who ? For a shadow of Patty Mills ? Who got dumped this offseason anyways

Yuta is gone for exactly who ? He doesn’t match our timeline? Not really there is not much age difference between Yuta and Mikal ( who supposed to be the face of the franchise )

About Cam Thomas , he might be a Marshon Brooks , but he might be way better , I don’t overestimate Cam , I just don’t think he got a fair shot on last year Nets , he was either benched forever or played spot up minutes clearly out of his comfort zone

So where is our culture? Is Nic Claxton is all it is to our culture ?
Netaman
Analyst

Post#1464 » by Netaman » Wed Aug 9, 2023 10:24 pm

ArksNetsSince99 wrote:That’s exactly my problem with this so called culture and front office of the Nets

Bruce Brown who was superior for both the Nets and Nuggets got dumped for who ? For a shadow of Patty Mills ? Who got dumped this offseason anyways

Yuta is gone for exactly who ? He doesn’t match our timeline? Not really there is not much age difference between Yuta and Mikal ( who supposed to be the face of the franchise )

About Cam Thomas , he might be a Marshon Brooks , but he might be way better , I don’t overestimate Cam , I just don’t think he got a fair shot on last year Nets , he was either benched forever or played spot up minutes clearly out of his comfort zone

you are arguing the dangers of icebergs the day after the titantic.

a lot of bad outcomes happened over the last few years because kyrie and harden, enabled and endorsed by kd, were organizational culture killers. this isn't breaking news. that was the bargain with the devil to get KD and almost win a championship in 2021.

to answer your question, the culture now starts with current team usa'ers mikal bridges and cam johnson since they are under contract for the next 3 and 4 years. hopefully claxton extends and becomes another piece. maybe clowney, whitehead, or wilson step up. adding a 23 year old with high end shooting ability from a winning organization seems like another good culture building move.
Eatgreenz
Senior
And1: 315

Post#1465 » by Eatgreenz » Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:54 pm

1hr long with Cam T. He seems way less arrogant but still has his confidence. Very insightful to who he is, seems like a good guy which i didn't expect.
https://www.youtube.com/live/wD3trEPJEtA?feature=share
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant

Post#1466 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:28 am

Eatgreenz wrote:1hr long with Cam T. He seems way less arrogant but still has his confidence. Very insightful to who he is, seems like a good guy which i didn't expect.
https://www.youtube.com/live/wD3trEPJEtA?feature=share

Most of the great players had a bit of arrogance in them ( Kobe, Mike , Shaq etc ) not comparing CamT to them , just saying it’s not the worst thing

I hope for brake out season from Cam , not 40 or 50 , I’ll take 15-20ppg with respectable defense, few assists, couple of steals, if he can maintain this I’m sure there will be games when he gets nuclear and goes for 40-50 piece

Ps , hopefully that nuclear 50 will be against the Knicks every time :lol: :lol: :lol:
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#1467 » by TheNetsFan » Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:04 am

ArksNetsSince99 wrote:
Netaman wrote:
ArksNetsSince99 wrote:

That’s exactly my problem with this so called culture and front office of the Nets

The Bruce got dumped for Patty narrative is wrong and has been proven wrong by Brown himself. He said the front office wanted him back, but there was someone on the team (KD) that didn't want him.

Yuta is an oft-injured, minimum salaried player who plays a position where we currently have an abundance of better players.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#1468 » by Netaman » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:15 pm

Read on Twitter

Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,947

Post#1469 » by Hello Brooklyn » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:19 pm

Harden is a bum.

It was always idiotic for certain Nets fans to absolve him of guilt for demanding out. He was always a huge part of the problem.

KD/Kyrie/Harden are all bums. And they all bear full responsibility for what happened here.

Too bad Simmons also sucks.
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#1470 » by Shark » Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:47 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Harden is a bum.

It was always idiotic for certain Nets fans to absolve him of guilt for demanding out. He was always a huge part of the problem.

KD/Kyrie/Harden are all bums. And they all bear full responsibility for what happened here.

I said it earlier in the offseason, but I'm so happy that we moved on from that train wreck. It was funny seeing fans freaking out after we traded Kyrie and KD, but the writing was on the wall. The trio/duo wasn't going to accomplish anything at this point and it was for the best that they all went their own ways.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#1471 » by Netaman » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:43 am

Shark wrote:

I said it earlier in the offseason, but I'm so happy that we moved on from that train wreck. It was funny seeing fans freaking out after we traded Kyrie and KD, but the writing was on the wall. The trio/duo wasn't going to accomplish anything at this point and it was for the best that they all went their own ways.

KD is a champ.

Kyrie and Harden are losers.

KD picks any other all stars except those 2 and he has a ring here. Imagine if he'd signed with Butler instead of Kyrie?
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 968

Post#1472 » by Decipher » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:57 am

A friend of mine coaches some professional athletes

He’s as much a mentor as anything & one thing he constantly tells them is to never leave money on the negotiating table

Harden was a fool for refusing to sign an extension here and even more foolish to opt out & trust Morey
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,105

Post#1473 » by therealbig3 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:25 am

Netaman wrote:
Shark wrote:

KD is a champ.

KD picks any other all stars except those 2 and he has a ring here. Imagine if he'd signed with Butler instead of Kyrie?

KD hasn’t done **** without Curry. He’s a bum when he doesn’t play with a better player on a super team.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#1474 » by Netaman » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:32 am

therealbig3 wrote:
Netaman wrote:
Shark wrote:I said it earlier in the offseason, but I'm so happy that we moved on from that train wreck. It was funny seeing fans freaking out after we traded Kyrie and KD, but the writing was on the wall. The trio/duo wasn't going to accomplish anything at this point and it was for the best that they all went their own ways.

KD is a champ.

KD hasn’t done **** without Curry. He’s a bum when he doesn’t play with a better player on a super team.

was he a bum vs milwaukee when he almost knocked out giannis with a bunch of scrubs first year back post-achilles? or when had GS beat if russ didn't ballhog as per usual? or when he was on gs and just kept playing on what became a fully torn achilles?

i can knock the guy where he deserves it, especially his taste in friends, but as a player he is so many levels better than those other 2 clowns it's not even discussion worthy.
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 215

Post#1475 » by ChuckS » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:17 am

Netaman wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:
Netaman wrote:
KD is a champ.

was he a bum vs milwaukee when he almost knocked out giannis with a bunch of scrubs first year back post-achilles? or when had GS beat if russ didn't ballhog as per usual? or when he was on gs and just kept playing on what became a fully torn achilles?

i can knock the guy where he deserves it, especially his taste in friends, but as a player he is so many levels better than those other 2 clowns it's not even discussion worthy.

I applaud your endurance. After the libel like crap the summer after the Boston loss, I've had to limit my KD defenses when it was apparent it would not make a difference. Let's face it. Almost any long time poster is probably convinced they are a basketball savant. Why should anyone believe me, a perfect stranger.

I've had to comfort myself with the words of those I know to be the most knowledgeable on the matter:

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nba/golden-state-warriors/draymond-cites-stephs-growth-in-why-dubs-needed-kd-in-17-18/1421112/

But Draymond Green took a walk down memory lane on Monday night when his podcast joined forces with JJ Redick and Tommy Alter’s “The Old Man and The Three” for a live recording on stage in New York, where he said overcoming James and the Cavs again wouldn’t have been possible without Durant despite debates over his legacy with the Warriors.

“... I think for us, within the organization, we did everything we could to make Kevin comfortable,” Green told Redick and Alter. “We did everything we could to let him know, ‘Just like this is our home, this is your home, too, brother.’ But the outside world didn’t. The outside world [is saying], ‘He’s joining a team that won 73 games, he’s joining the team that already won a championship’ and blah, blah, blah.

“But the reality is, I don’t think that team wins another championship if Kevin doesn’t come … We would not have beat the Cavs coming back around without Kevin.”

https://fadeawayworld.net/nba-media/steve-kerr-says-kevin-durant-is-the-most-gifted-player-of-all-time-michael-jordan-magic-johnson-larry-bird-theyre-in-awe-of-kevin

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10053107-klay-thompson-it-bothers-me-when-people-dont-talk-about-kevin-durants-greatness

https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2022/9/12/23349168/curry-was-interested-in-kd-return

https://www.nbcsports.com/nba/news/gregg-popovich-i-would-have-begged-cried-done-anything-to-get-kevin-durant-on-team-usa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Durant
Netaman
Analyst

Post#1476 » by Netaman » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:04 pm

ChuckS wrote:
I applaud your endurance. After the libel like crap the summer after the Boston loss, I've had to limit my KD defenses when it was apparent it would not make a difference. Let's face it. Almost any long time poster is probably convinced they are a basketball savant. Why should anyone believe me, a perfect stranger.

the last 2 years father time caught up. in 2021 he played on an mvp level we've only seen from Lebron. Against Boston he played maybe his 4 worst games as a pro and then some of the turnovers and inefficiency carried over to this season too.

Lebron isn't entirely what he used to be either and he hasn't had as many injuries as KD has had. KD is 34 now, it was never a guarantee he'd be the player he was in 2021 post-Achilles, and he was so good that year I try to appreciate it. it took an enormous amount of bad luck for that team to lose. dinwiddie ACL game 1, joe harris choke-a-thon, kyrie landing on giannis, harden torn hammy, nash being a terrible coach, kd being 1 inch on the line. after 2021 they made their own bad luck but that year KD exceeded the hype.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#1477 » by Hello Brooklyn » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:30 pm

Netaman wrote:
Shark wrote:

KD is a champ.

Oh please. KD latched on to Steph Curry and the Warriors who have won before and after him.

Hes a quitter. He failed on OKC and he failed on Phoenix last year.

Maybe with Butler KD does win. But thats because Butler would be the leader. Not him.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#1478 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:21 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Netaman wrote:
Shark wrote:I said it earlier in the offseason, but I'm so happy that we moved on from that train wreck. It was funny seeing fans freaking out after we traded Kyrie and KD, but the writing was on the wall. The trio/duo wasn't going to accomplish anything at this point and it was for the best that they all went their own ways.

KD is a champ.

Oh please. KD latched on to Steph Curry and the Warriors who have won before and after him.

Hes a quitter. He failed on OKC and he failed on Phoenix last year.

Maybe with Butler KD does win. But thats because Butler would be the leader. Not him.

They got Jimmy Butler too????

Lol
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 968

Post#1479 » by Decipher » Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:33 pm

I’m not going to criticise KD for his time here as he generally played hard and was available when healthy plus we got a haul for him

Kyrie and Harden are unreliable and we should have known better
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#1480 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:46 am

Decipher wrote:I’m not going to criticise KD for his time here as he generally played hard and was available when healthy plus we got a haul for him

Kyrie and Harden are unreliable and we should have known better

KD was a quitter. He quit on us twice and enabled Kyrie the whole time.

He also forced us to give up all our assets for Harden.

**** him. One great Milwaukee series is not enough to undo all the **** he put us through.

Return to Brooklyn Nets