Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,070

Re: Early discussion on the 2023 offseason 

Post#1521 » by Netaman » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:02 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I think given the current Vegas win totals, they’re fully expecting the Nets to make some kind of improvement trade by the deadline. That is probably our most likely path to saving grace. Maybe a blockbuster, maybe a midrange move on the cheap for a position of weakness.

But I’m expecting 32-40 wins and a pick in the 7-12 range shipped to Houston, barring significant games missed to injury, or a lottery jump from further back.

Although Marks did good in the Kyrie trade and excellent in the KD deal, he went equally opposite polar in the Houston trade.

Crippling trade and it’s not only in hindsight when he’s the guy speaking to the players, their agents, the coaching staff, friends and family of, etc., leading up to the eventual breakup.

He got absolutely bent over a barrel in the Harden trade.

7-12 is a reasonable range if nothing changes. or if they just sell at the deadline because there isnt an adding move to make.

im surprised they didnt do more this summer to be honest. i dont mind it or think they did anything wrong, nobody got moved i can think of that i think they should have been more aggressive on except maybe dame, but i get why they chose not to do that.

i hadnt thought of it, but slotting the nets into the return the bucks gave up is pretty simple. they could easily match the 1 FRP and swaps so it's just valuing Jrue.

dinwiddie and dfs = jrue in terms of $. maybe they need 1 extra FRP to make up the difference with 2 years of jrue? id have pushed for that to be the philly pick but more likely they probably want another unprotected pick but even still they'd have 3 FRP's from other teams to deal with at least 2 of the unprotected (prob Dallas, 1 Pho, Philly). On top of their own.

Lillard / DSJ
Simmons / Walker / Whitehead
Bridges / Royce / Wilson
Cam J / Bazley / Clowney
Claxton / Sharpe / Watford / Giles

that team would have been top 4 in the east with assets left to trade. pretty sure id have pulled the trigger.

I agree, also see why they didn’t get involved. And agree with your logic on paper of what we have to give up to be in it and come out winners, but then you start a bidding war. Who says then Milwaukee doesn’t add a swap and turn a swap into an outright protected pick? Whose to say no one around the league rates Dinwiddie or DFS as anything other then a protected, but likely later pick as a package, instead of one frp each with light to no protections?

And it doesn’t change the fact Dame is old, and Giannis is will be getting there too by the time he hits free agency.

So then it becomes, do you give up this complete control of 4 Phoenix drafts in a row and a Dallas draft, maybe the Philly pick too, just to have a 3 year run at mediocrity, at the sake of chasing bad money and not shipping Houston a likely lotto pick, while giving up the chance at a prime star like Mitchell, Doncic, Ja or maybe Trae? Or someone else no one is expecting to be available?

That’s really it right?

Like the bitching about Marks gifting Houston so much in the Harden deal… it’s valid and impacts things, but what’s done is done.

So now you have to look at it like, do you burn up the high value Suns and Mavs picks and all depth to be a 1st to 2nd round exit for a few years and wind up missing out on other opportunity and a choose your adventure of direction you can go?

Or do you remain patient, see how the current roster responds, survey the NBA landscape league-wide this season, read the tea leaves and act accordingly, and say the ‘24 BK pick is the cost of doing business even if it winds up literally 1st overall?

They seemed to have chosen the latter and Idk I’d argue against that logic at this point.

for me it would have just come down to value. as long as 2 unprotected FRP's trumped the Milwaukee offer, im in. If Milwaukee bid more I'm probably out. but if im nets and i have all my picks from 2028 on plus 2 more unprotected, and then i also have lillard/cj/bridges under contract through 2027, which is the last year houston is owed anything, im feeling pretty decent. There's a 4 year window to be one of the better teams in the East plus assets to go truly all in for 1 more big piece next summer if simmons is a bust - right when his contract will be a prime expiring.

if things went south at some point between now and 2027 you can cash players in and trade them and get more picks back, and it's not impossible you can get back better picks than you give up because who knows what the other team's picks you trade end up worth? so much changes so quickly it's impossible to predict. lillard's value is tough to predict if he gets hurt or regresses but bridges value will still be prime because his contract is such a steal. in 2027/2028 bridges is 31/32. i would kind of bet against him being good enough to get another max. middleton has always been my hopeful comp for him and we are seeing that with middleton now at 32 (and the last several years). athleticism dependent wings generally start slowing down and getting dinged at that age.

the twins + simmons are 27 now so their window's are now. so i guess the question is do you believe in that group enough to maximize their window with dame?

or do you hedge, keep futures, and make it easier to go the full rebuild cashing in those guys before they hit 30 in a year or two?

we know what they chose and i think most teams in their position would have gone the other way (assuming back to my first sentence the value wasn't too far off what im suggesting, bc it's possible it could have taken more picks than i think).
Netaman
Analyst

Post#1522 » by Netaman » Sun Oct 1, 2023 4:06 pm

ok Cronin killed it and Jrue was definitely worth more than I was saying in my previous post. 2 more frps AND Robert Williams AND Brogdon - who could each bring back FRPs on their own. Wow. All in Cronin may have matched the KD return.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Netaman
Analyst

Post#1523 » by Netaman » Sun Oct 1, 2023 4:11 pm

great return, massive respect to cronin:

Read on Twitter
?s=20
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,437

Post#1524 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Oct 1, 2023 4:46 pm

Yeah that’s more than I thought he’d bring back, namely such a far out unprotected pick and Williams.

Cronin is doing well and nobody can tell me Herro would have brought back anything close to that.

Boston is going to be a really tough out for anyone if healthy.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,105

Post#1525 » by therealbig3 » Sun Oct 1, 2023 8:04 pm

Jrue, Tatum, and Brown is a SICK combo that all complement each other really well on both ends of the floor.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#1526 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Oct 2, 2023 1:23 pm

Netaman wrote:great return, massive respect to cronin:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

I'd expect at least Brogdon to be on the move again. He may not return much, but I would expect Portland will at least try to move him for an expiring contract.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#1527 » by Netaman » Mon Oct 2, 2023 2:36 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

I'd expect at least Brogdon to be on the move again. He may not return much, but I would expect Portland will at least try to move him for an expiring contract.

maybe/probably but they will also probably get at least 1 frp for him. miami or philly would probably each want him. could be a return piece in a 3 team harden deal or to miami for lowry and a pick.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,329

Post#1528 » by Papi_swav » Mon Oct 2, 2023 5:40 pm

alot of moving pieces. I think Harden gets moved soon and we're ready to start the season , can't wait !
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#1529 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Oct 2, 2023 6:12 pm

Netaman wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

maybe/probably but they will also probably get at least 1 frp for him. miami or philly would probably each want him. could be a return piece in a 3 team harden deal or to miami for lowry and a pick.

Brogdon is not returning a first unless Portland is taking on a bad salary dump in the deal. He was going to return #30 from the Clippers earlier this offseason before the deal was nixed due to a medical issue. His value has not increased from there.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#1530 » by Netaman » Mon Oct 2, 2023 6:35 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
Netaman wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:I'd expect at least Brogdon to be on the move again. He may not return much, but I would expect Portland will at least try to move him for an expiring contract.

Brogdon is not returning a first unless Portland is taking on a bad salary dump in the deal. He was going to return #30 from the Clippers earlier this offseason before the deal was nixed due to a medical issue. His value has not increased from there.

id imagine it's similar to what it was earlier this year and a future year's first with some protections won't be so far off a team who was looking at adding someone specific (vs a future pick).
Netaman
Analyst

Post#1531 » by Netaman » Tue Oct 3, 2023 2:32 pm

here's hollingers prediction on nets, with a few minor quibbles it's basically how i see this roster. dont think i'd take the over on 36.5 but i agree with the write-up and especially the kicker.

Brooklyn Nets (over 36.5 wins)
It fascinates me that Brooklyn’s win expectation is set so low when the Nets have zero tanking incentive.

Do people not get this? The Nets owe an unprotected first-round pick to Houston in 2024 and either unprotected picks or swaps until 2027. Thus, this roster is only going to move in one direction. Any transaction the Nets make will be to increase their present success (by trading future firsts owed them from Phoenix, Dallas and Philly), not to have a fire sale. Their presence on the periphery of the Lillard trade talks is a gentle proof of concept.

Even if they stand pat, the Nets roster is more than good enough to achieve pleasantly inoffensive averageness at the very least, and perhaps more. “A bunch of pretty good players” isn’t a great model for advancing deep in the playoffs, but it can tow you a long way through the regular season slog.

Brooklyn has a potential breakout All-Star in Mikal Brides, high-level role players in Cam Johnson, Nic Claxton, Royce O’Neale and Dorian Finney-Smith, and enough shot creation with Spencer Dinwiddie that the others aren’t caught out of their depth at the end of the shot clock.

I don’t love the bench, but the Nets have what you might call “positive wild cards” in that while we’re not expecting much, they have the ability to overdeliver (Cam Thomas, Ben Simmons, Dennis Smith Jr.). Roll your eyes if you must at the annual Simmons offseason optimism, but if he delivers much of anything, it will help this second unit greatly. Brooklyn also has a lot of flexibility to make moves in-season because of a $19.8 million trade exception from the Joe Harris trade, in addition to those future firsts from Phoenix.

Again, incentives matter, so I’ll turn the question around as I did on Toronto: What would it look like for the Nets to fall short of this, knowing that they aren’t tanking?. Because of the pick owed to Houston, this team will chase the final Play-In spot down to the last day. I have a hard time seeing the Nets falling short of a mid-30s win total without some major injury catastrophe.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#1532 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Oct 3, 2023 5:36 pm

Netaman wrote:here's hollingers prediction on nets, with a few minor quibbles it's basically how i see this roster. dont think i'd take the over on 36.5 but i agree with the write-up and especially the kicker.

Brooklyn Nets (over 36.5 wins)
It fascinates me that Brooklyn’s win expectation is set so low when the Nets have zero tanking incentive.

Do people not get this? The Nets owe an unprotected first-round pick to Houston in 2024 and either unprotected picks or swaps until 2027. Thus, this roster is only going to move in one direction. Any transaction the Nets make will be to increase their present success (by trading future firsts owed them from Phoenix, Dallas and Philly), not to have a fire sale. Their presence on the periphery of the Lillard trade talks is a gentle proof of concept.

Even if they stand pat, the Nets roster is more than good enough to achieve pleasantly inoffensive averageness at the very least, and perhaps more. “A bunch of pretty good players” isn’t a great model for advancing deep in the playoffs, but it can tow you a long way through the regular season slog.

Brooklyn has a potential breakout All-Star in Mikal Brides, high-level role players in Cam Johnson, Nic Claxton, Royce O’Neale and Dorian Finney-Smith, and enough shot creation with Spencer Dinwiddie that the others aren’t caught out of their depth at the end of the shot clock.

I don’t love the bench, but the Nets have what you might call “positive wild cards” in that while we’re not expecting much, they have the ability to overdeliver (Cam Thomas, Ben Simmons, Dennis Smith Jr.). Roll your eyes if you must at the annual Simmons offseason optimism, but if he delivers much of anything, it will help this second unit greatly. Brooklyn also has a lot of flexibility to make moves in-season because of a $19.8 million trade exception from the Joe Harris trade, in addition to those future firsts from Phoenix.

Again, incentives matter, so I’ll turn the question around as I did on Toronto: What would it look like for the Nets to fall short of this, knowing that they aren’t tanking?. Because of the pick owed to Houston, this team will chase the final Play-In spot down to the last day. I have a hard time seeing the Nets falling short of a mid-30s win total without some major injury catastrophe.

I read this, this morning too. Also watched media day and it was encouraging.

They can definitely “overachieve” and win 40-46 games if they remain healthy.

I’m still skeptical without a big trade at some point, but we shall see.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#1533 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Oct 3, 2023 5:39 pm

Netaman wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
Netaman wrote:

id imagine it's similar to what it was earlier this year and a future year's first with some protections won't be so far off a team who was looking at adding someone specific (vs a future pick).

Idk, I agree, the only way you’re seeing a 1st for Brogdon is a lock playoff team trades for him and they’re still going to lotto protect it permanently imho.

That being said, it kind of drives me mad that a guy like Brogdon can bring back a first, but feels like Dinwiddie can’t.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#1534 » by Netaman » Wed Oct 4, 2023 3:03 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:Brogdon is not returning a first unless Portland is taking on a bad salary dump in the deal. He was going to return #30 from the Clippers earlier this offseason before the deal was nixed due to a medical issue. His value has not increased from there.

Idk, I agree, the only way you’re seeing a 1st for Brogdon is a lock playoff team trades for him and they’re still going to lotto protect it permanently imho.

That being said, it kind of drives me mad that a guy like Brogdon can bring back a first, but feels like Dinwiddie can’t.

i dont think they are far off but brogdon is reigning 6th man on a team that won a lot of games. he has the better track record as a shooter. good fit for a contending team.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#1535 » by Keith Van Horn » Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:29 pm

Should I edit the name of this thread now? lol

So is this team out on getting Herro? Was that just a side deal in a potential bigger Dame deal?

Seems like the time for moves and trades for this team have passed and we're rolling with what we got.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#1536 » by Papi_swav » Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:42 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:Should I edit the name of this thread now? lol

So is this team out on getting Herro? Was that just a side deal in a potential bigger Dame deal?

Seems like the time for moves and trades for this team have passed and we're rolling with what we got.

yea I think the moves are done and we're pretty set for the season. We're just trying to see who makes the roster and the rotations at this point.
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,177

Post#1537 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:40 pm

Papi_swav wrote:

yea I think the moves are done and we're pretty set for the season. We're just trying to see who makes the roster and the rotations at this point.

Let’s the pain begin

No expectations
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#1538 » by Papi_swav » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:05 pm

ArksNetsSince99 wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:

Let’s the pain begin

No expectations

this is going to be a fun season even if we lose more than we win. The way Simmons is playing he can make us play uptempo for at times.
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,177

Post#1539 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:22 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
ArksNetsSince99 wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:yea I think the moves are done and we're pretty set for the season. We're just trying to see who makes the roster and the rotations at this point.

Let’s the pain begin

No expectations

this is going to be a fun season even if we lose more than we win. The way Simmons is playing he can make us play uptempo for at times.

Apologies for quoting you here off topic, but hope I might get some response from you or some other member

Anyone knows how is the quality of a new Yes App ? Is it HD ? Or is it NBA tv quality( worst possible )

If the quality is HD I would prefer this option over NBA tv as I’m mostly interested in Nets games and like our commentary over anyone else

Thank You

Return to Brooklyn Nets