Would you pull for the Knicks, ever?

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

MaxZaslofskyJr
Rookie
And1: 671
Location: Teaneck, Long Island, Piscataway, Meadowlands, Newark, Brooklyn

Would you pull for the Knicks, ever? 

Post#1 » by MaxZaslofskyJr » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:09 pm

Long time Nets fan here and one-time Knicks fan.
For a very brief time, I tried rooting for both.
This was about the same time that I started commuting into NYC for work (this was before you were born ;-) )
I found a lot of obnoxious Knicks fans and turned more and more towards the Nets.
However, for some strange reason, I don't dislike them (the Knicks) quite as much as I used to.
Naturally, I'd pull for Brooklyn over Manhattan if they ever met in the playoffs.
But, in this a reloading year for the Nets, I ask myself what I would do if the Knicks were (gulp!) still alive and the Nets were not.
Not hoping for that, of course. I'm now waffling. Wondering what others think.
Les Selvage pioneered today's "modern basketball" in 1967.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Re: Would you pull for the Knicks, ever? 

Post#2 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:38 pm

There are only 2 scenarios which would make me root for the Knicks:
1) A Knicks win benefits the Nets.
2) My 2 year old son is on the team when he grows up.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,047

Post#3 » by Hello Brooklyn » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:19 pm

No way lol. I hate the Knicks.
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Post#4 » by Sharcm1 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:30 pm

I would only ever root for the Knicks if it benefits the nets in the standings.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,415

Post#5 » by Papi_swav » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:24 am

I'm actually a fan of both lol go figure but BK first. But I'm a NYer, I can understand why Jerseyians feel different
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#6 » by Keith Van Horn » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:44 pm

Don't think I could ever pull myself to root for the Knicks. Too much animosity over the years. I'd rather root for another individual player over another organization.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#7 » by 3pt_chucker » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:46 pm

Short answer: No

Long Answer: Hell f*** no
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,409

Post#8 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:01 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:Short answer: No

Long Answer: Hell f*** no

Sign me up too :D
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:12 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:Don't think I could ever pull myself to root for the Knicks. Too much animosity over the years. I'd rather root for another individual player over another organization.

Knicks never , but …

I rooted for Mavs Kidd ( I thought he deserved a ring after all this years with us ) I know I know migraine and stuff but still wanted him to win

Currently the only other team I root for is Denver , I like Bruce Brown succeed alongside Jokic (very unlikely though)

I would never root for Celtics Sixers and Knicks though no matter which former Net would end up there , not even for Mikal Bridges
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:14 pm

Papi_swav wrote:I'm actually a fan of both lol go figure but BK first. But I'm a NYer, I can understand why Jerseyians feel different

Papi you’re Knixtape !!!!!!!!! I knew it , I knew it :banghead:
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#11 » by MGrand15 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:27 pm

The Knicks have been so nonthreatening the last 20 years i don't mind rooting for them. They're like the little bros. If we're not playing each other or battling for seeding, I'm cool with them

I def hate the Celtics, Sixers, and Raptors way more. Now Dallas and Phoenix are at the top of the hate list.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,415

Post#12 » by Papi_swav » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:12 am

ArksNetsSince99 wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:I'm actually a fan of both lol go figure but BK first. But I'm a NYer, I can understand why Jerseyians feel different

Papi you’re Knixtape !!!!!!!!! I knew it , I knew it :banghead:

lol naa definitely not. I don't got time to use 2 different accounts
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,460

Post#13 » by KL78192020 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:50 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:No way lol. I hate the Knicks.

what if its the knick vs mavs in the finals. Cheer for Kyrie or the Knicks?
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,458

Post#14 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:58 am

Can’t do it, can’t stand them, can’t.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#15 » by Keith Van Horn » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:58 pm

ArksNetsSince99 wrote:
Keith Van Horn wrote:Don't think I could ever pull myself to root for the Knicks. Too much animosity over the years. I'd rather root for another individual player over another organization.

Knicks never , but …

I rooted for Mavs Kidd ( I thought he deserved a ring after all this years with us ) I know I know migraine and stuff but still wanted him to win

Currently the only other team I root for is Denver , I like Bruce Brown succeed alongside Jokic (very unlikely though)

I would never root for Celtics Sixers and Knicks though no matter which former Net would end up there , not even for Mikal Bridges

yeah there were a few players I followed from a distance once they left here.... Van Horn, Carter, Lopez... but it's not like I was religiously following their careers in any way.

Never could root for Celtics either!
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,047

Post#16 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:51 pm

KL78192020 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:No way lol. I hate the Knicks.

what if its the knick vs mavs in the finals. Cheer for Kyrie or the Knicks?

Not cheering for either side at all. :lol:
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,127

Post#17 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:00 pm

I actually like this current Knicks team, they play hard, they are coached tough and have a good spirited culture about them. Jalen Brunson is a really likeable, high character player and imo criminally underrated, he should have been an All Star. I think he's the key for the Knicks' turnaround....Dallas is absolutely braindead for letting him go in favor of you know who. They've also got guys like Josh Hart, Quinton Grimes, IQ...those dudes have the dog in them.

The Nets have been such a sh*tshow that I really started to sit down and watch Knick games objectively as an outsider well before Kyrie and KD pulled the plug, and I was pretty impressed by what I saw. It kind of carried over from chopping it up with Knicks fans who are also Giants fans on the Knicks board, they got me into their games. A few years back I would never say that with a straight face, but now? Pfft. The Nets have done absolutely nothing to deserve my money, loyalty, or attention as a fan. They don't deserve a monopoly on who I choose to watch now. They will have to earn it....if I feel like watching to begin with.

The Denver game on Sunday was cool, but I turned the OKC game off midway through the 3rd because I knew they were about to get cooked. You can tell when things are about to derail with this group. No offense to Mikal and the boys, my beef isn't with them, but I'm not sitting through blowout losses anymore. Those days are long gone. Joe Tsai, Sean Marks, Durant/Irving have killed every single shred of good will that this franchise had left with me. I have no issues changing the channel...or not watching completely.

Now, would I root for the Knicks versus the Nets? No. Absolutely not. I could never, regardless of how awful I feel as a fan of this franchise. That would be like rooting for the Jets to beat the Giants. However, will I actively root for the Knicks against teams like Philly, Dallas, and Phoenix? Absolutely. I hope they do well, just not when they play the Nets.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,429

Post#18 » by ecuhus1981 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:56 pm

Fair question.

I'm not a NY resident, and I only started rooting for the Nets in my adolescence. So, my stance on cheering for duh Nix might be a little more generous than others around here who've lived in NJ/NY all their lives and are dyed in the wool Nets supporters.

I still strongly dislike the Knicks. I would root for them against Boston in a playoff series, maybe even against Philly. Otherwise, nah, they can lose every game for all I care.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#19 » by gigantes » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:16 am

As someone who never lived in the NYC area, I don't have the same automatic animosity for the Knicks as others. I mainly dislike them for their longtime owner being such a complete asshat, but when he's not in the news, it's not so much a big deal. Of course there's also the fact that large, obnoxious fanbases like the Lakers' and Knicks' can be kinda hard to take at times, but again, it's not much of an issue these days and where I live. And TBF-- I find that sports itself has a fairly magical ability to reach down in to every fanbase's psyche and bring out the obnoxious idiot. So there's that.

On the other hand, I don't like seeing a franchise being a chronic underachiever for endless years, as it's the fans who are the ones who pay the price, certainly not the owners & players.

So help me I even feel a little sorry for Knicks fans, as year after year I see them talking about how 'the Knicks are finally back!' in the preseason, only to see the team fall on its face when the games count. Because life is not a zero-sum game, and I don't mind seeing a rival fanbase enjoy the fruits of their team's good work & smart decisions. Within reason, of course.

Actually, these Knicks do sound kinda interesting, as MDB was talking about. I'll have to take a look at some of their games and compare what they're doing to what we're doing.
MaxZaslofskyJr
Rookie
And1: 671
Location: Teaneck, Long Island, Piscataway, Meadowlands, Newark, Brooklyn

Post#20 » by MaxZaslofskyJr » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:00 pm

Having thought about it, here is where I am at ~

I don't want the Knicks to do badly. So, I'll pull for them to a point. I've watched a few of their games this year and the team they have deserved some respect (I hit more or less the same stance in the 80s with the hated Celtics when I moved to New England). However, I never-ever want them to actually go farther or do better than the Nets. If the Nets win 75, I'll be happy if the Knicks win 74. If the Nets win it all, I am all for it being against the Knicks in the Eastern finals.

I reach this conclusion by mixing this new (strange!) feeling of respect with good memories of watching the Knicks in the Old Madison Square Garden (they played the Lakers and one of West and Baylor was out but for the life of me, I cannot recall which), watching Earl Monroe score 15 straight points for either team vs the Bullets in the New Garden to overcome a 13 point deficit, getting served beer for the 1st time in the Garden (they'd give it to anyone then), posters on the wall of Reed and Bradley and Frazier next to those of Rick Barry and Doctor J, and on and on.

However, I still hold a grudge against all those idiots that I met along the way that said the ABA sucked, that the Knicks in losing their first playoff round did better than the Buck Williams led Nets who beat the defending champ Sixers (!), that Ewing was all that, that Bernard King was lousy (until he played for you-know-who), etc. I.e. I hate(d) the pompousness

So, that's where I stand and I'm proud of myself for this closure without attending a single therapy session! ;-)
Les Selvage pioneered today's "modern basketball" in 1967.

Return to Brooklyn Nets