ImageImageImageImageImage

How is DFS still starting?

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,591

How is DFS still starting? 

Post#1 » by dygaction » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:26 pm

DFS was one of my favorite Mavs players and I have been paying attention to him even after the trade, but he seems to hit a big wall. In the past 16 games, he is averaging 6.8/4.9r/1.8a on .34/.28/.75 shooting. Is he in danger of losing his starting position?
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Re: How is DFS still starting? 

Post#2 » by Paradise » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:48 pm

Not with this moron of a coach. Avery 2.0.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,389

Post#3 » by Papi_swav » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:50 pm

Yea idk why he's still starting, O'neale is much better than him. I hope we trade him after the season and get something worthy of him.
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,406

Post#4 » by Marvin Martian » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:10 pm

Dude has been trash since the trade
MaxZaslofskyJr
Rookie
And1: 671
Location: Teaneck, Long Island, Piscataway, Meadowlands, Newark, Brooklyn

Post#5 » by MaxZaslofskyJr » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:24 am

Thinking the same. I was never that impressed with Royce O'Neale but I think that I'd go with R O'N at this point (at least until DFS straightens himself out). I'll tell ya what tho'... I may take Yuta over both. He has size, things seem to happen on Offense when he is in and his D is not terrible imho (Heck, fwiw he apparently won Atlantic 10 Defensive Player of the Year)
Les Selvage pioneered today's "modern basketball" in 1967.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,838

Post#6 » by sashaturiaf » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:20 am

MaxZaslofskyJr wrote:Thinking the same. I was never that impressed with Royce O'Neale but I think that I'd go with R O'N at this point (at least until DFS straightens himself out). I'll tell ya what tho'... I may take Yuta over both. He has size, things seem to happen on Offense when he is in and his D is not terrible imho (Heck, fwiw he apparently won Atlantic 10 Defensive Player of the Year)

I love how it only took barely a month before we started pitting our role playing wings against each other.

This is a collection of assets and not a team, so my question stands - why are we not tanking ?
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,591

Post#7 » by dygaction » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:10 am

sashaturiaf wrote:
MaxZaslofskyJr wrote:Thinking the same. I was never that impressed with Royce O'Neale but I think that I'd go with R O'N at this point (at least until DFS straightens himself out). I'll tell ya what tho'... I may take Yuta over both. He has size, things seem to happen on Offense when he is in and his D is not terrible imho (Heck, fwiw he apparently won Atlantic 10 Defensive Player of the Year)

I love how it only took barely a month before we started pitting our role playing wings against each other.

This is a collection of assets and not a team, so my question stands - why are we not tanking ?

The record is too good to do a good tanking job.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#8 » by Keith Van Horn » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:30 pm

I really don't mind his defense, athleticism and hustle. But he shouldn't be starting. (neither should Spencer) His shooting and spacing have just not clicked yet. Maybe it's his role, maybe it's the coach...

Ideally, a 2nd unit here this year SHOULD look like: Dinwiddie / Curry / Harris / DFS / fill in the blank big man that we don't have

Not sure if he's sticking around after this year or will be packaged in a deal...
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#9 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:57 pm

There's a few things at play:
1) Start all the new guys so that they have at least one other guy on the court they have chemistry/experience with.
2) Royce off the bench to provide additional ball handling when Dinwiddie is out.
3) He's the closest thing to a legit power forward that we have.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#10 » by gigantes » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:47 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:I really don't mind his defense, athleticism and hustle. But he shouldn't be starting. (neither should Spencer)

Who would you have as the starting playmaker, and why?
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,406

Post#11 » by Marvin Martian » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:47 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:There's a few things at play:
1) Start all the new guys so that they have at least one other guy on the court they have chemistry/experience with.
2) Royce off the bench to provide additional ball handling when Dinwiddie is out.

Cam Johnson is 1 inch taller and about 10 pounds lighter than DFS. He would be a much better choice at PF
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#12 » by Keith Van Horn » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:01 pm

gigantes wrote:
Keith Van Horn wrote:I really don't mind his defense, athleticism and hustle. But he shouldn't be starting. (neither should Spencer)

Who would you have as the starting playmaker, and why?

Re - Spencer...
Oh it should be Spencer right now. I just mean in the grand scheme of things, I'd rather have Spencer as a non-starter.
As in like if we had someone like FVV.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,429

Post#13 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:13 am

Paradise wrote:Not with this moron of a coach. Avery 2.0.

Nah fam.

This doesn't look like a JV decision at all. Royce is clearly the better 5th starter for this roster, Vaughn knows this. He is not calling this shot. This is a front office decision, they've determined that the main players we received in return for 7/11 will start the remainder of the season. Only 3 of them are starting by merit. The attempt was to shine up his trade value, but it's back firing.

I do believe DFS is a legit starter in this league, but he was struggling before the trade, and he's REALLY struggling now. He came up big in our 2 biggest wins recently, but otherwise he's been a mess in both sides of the ball. Starting is starting to rattle him.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,429

Post#14 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:16 am

Marvin Martian wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:There's a few things at play:

Cam Johnson is 1 inch taller and about 10 pounds lighter than DFS. He would be a much better choice at PF

Correct.

CJ looks like a 3, and he can play the 3 just fine. But it's at the 4 spot where he really provides value. He can use his off ball footwork to create separation for corner 3's when bigs have to chase him. And despite his size, he can hold his own on defense against 4's.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin

Return to Brooklyn Nets