ImageImageImageImageImage

Cam Thomas has "team option" on his contract for 23-24 and 24-25, and Vaughn doesn't want him, so....

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Re: Cam Thomas has "team option" on his contract for 23-24 and 24-25, and Vaughn doesn't want him, so.... 

Post#41 » by Rastas » Thu Apr 6, 2023 6:31 am

JV plays favorites in a very noticeable way , Cam / Yuta / Sumner / Patty and Ben should all be given opportunities elsewhere if JV is to remain head coach going forward.
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer
And1: 931

Re: Cam Thomas has "team option" on his contract for 23-24 and 24-25, and Vaughn doesn't want him, so.... 

Post#42 » by bubonicphoniks » Sat Apr 8, 2023 4:24 am

Rastas wrote:JV plays favorites in a very noticeable way , Cam / Yuta / Sumner / Patty and Ben should all be given opportunities elsewhere if JV is to remain head coach going forward.
Yes Ben should get a shot elsewhere!!!!
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,754

Post#43 » by Skybox » Sun Apr 9, 2023 12:12 pm

Any hope for this guy to take his very formidable scoring chops to another more team- friendly level? Or is he just another knucklehead AAU me-first superstar? Zach Lavigne has been referred to as the worst guy in the league at enhancing those around him, but he’s gotten better (still not much BBIQ but…). Vaughn’s not stupid, it can’t just be a personality thing…no new coach buries a scoring machine on a struggling team without basketball reason(s). His highlight reel is amazing but highlight reels alone make White Chocolate the GOAT :lol:

ORL needs scoring, PnR guard play, and floor spreading but the last thing they need is a punk who looks off an open Paolo for a contested 3
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#44 » by Keith Van Horn » Sun Apr 9, 2023 3:51 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:He's still an asset so you keep him just to retain his value. He definitely needs to be traded in the offseason, since JV is the head coach.

yup, pretty much this. Need to look to deal him this offseason.

He's a nice blue chip prospect for another team to say "we can make something of him" the same way the Nets have with guys like Joe and Spence.

He just hasn't clicked here with consistency in the rotation. IDK, maybe stuff going on behind the scenes in the locker room and all that? He's got that microwave scoring ability, but a lot of questionable decision making and bad defense. I'm fine either way if he stays or goes, but I think another team might view him as a positive asset so I'd be looking to deal him. I think he could be a good player on a team like the Pelicans, Thunder, or Hornets... where there's a good mixture of young talent that might let him break through to a prominent role.
JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

Post#45 » by JoseRizal » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:48 pm

For a team devoided of youth and talent, I'm really puzzled as to why we're wasting a potentially elite 21yo 3-level scorer that we happen to draft.

Are we competing for a championship?
Are we developing our young talents?
Are we setting ourselves to be a middle of the pack team, waiting for the next disgruntled superstar to ask to be traded/waiting for superstars to be available in FA?

Seriously, until now I still question the direction of the team.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#46 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:32 pm

JoseRizal wrote:For a team devoided of youth and talent, I'm really puzzled as to why we're wasting a potentially elite 21yo 3-level scorer that we happen to draft.

Are we setting ourselves to be a middle of the pack team, waiting for the next disgruntled superstar to ask to be traded/waiting for superstars to be available in FA?

We're trying to attract the next big FA or disgruntled star. We are not eyeing a long term rebuild. Hopefully this last 40+ point game reminds teams of Cam's capabilities. If so, he could be a decent trade chip as part of a larger deal.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,635

Post#47 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:42 pm

Skybox wrote:Any hope for this guy to take his very formidable scoring chops to another more team- friendly level? Or is he just another knucklehead AAU me-first superstar? Zach Lavigne has been referred to as the worst guy in the league at enhancing those around him, but he’s gotten better (still not much BBIQ but…). Vaughn’s not stupid, it can’t just be a personality thing…no new coach buries a scoring machine on a struggling team without basketball reason(s). His highlight reel is amazing but highlight reels alone make White Chocolate the GOAT :lol:

ORL needs scoring, PnR guard play, and floor spreading but the last thing they need is a punk who looks off an open Paolo for a contested 3

Cam doesn't play defense, doesn't pass, or anything else for that matter aside from looking for his own shot, has a questionable attitude and can't function playing with 4 other competent NBA level players. He absolutely would look Paolo off, but if yall want him he's yours for a 1st rounder :nod:
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,480

Post#48 » by Stone » Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:45 pm

Let's cut to the chase......Cam belongs in the Euro league. Barring injury he could have a long lucrative and exciting career there.

Not saying he shouldn't try to stay in the NBA, he is afterall very young and is years away from a finished product.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,754

Post#49 » by Skybox » Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:56 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Skybox wrote:Any hope for this guy to take his very formidable scoring chops to another more team- friendly level? Or is he just another knucklehead AAU me-first superstar? Zach Lavigne has been referred to as the worst guy in the league at enhancing those around him, but he’s gotten better (still not much BBIQ but…). Vaughn’s not stupid, it can’t just be a personality thing…no new coach buries a scoring machine on a struggling team without basketball reason(s). His highlight reel is amazing but highlight reels alone make White Chocolate the GOAT :lol:

Cam doesn't play defense, doesn't pass, or anything else for that matter aside from looking for his own shot, has a questionable attitude and can't function playing with 4 other competent NBA level players. He absolutely would look Paolo off, but if yall want him he's yours for a 1st rounder :nod:

It's so intriguing...would have to involve serious Psych eval...I just watched his higlights from recent 40pt game - not once did he appear to even consider not shooting. He seemed absolutely uninterested in his teammates. In fact, if they'd go sit on the bench, he'd have more room to work :lol:

All that said, he's a freakin' bucket and a half.
JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

Post#50 » by JoseRizal » Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:15 am

TheNetsFan wrote:
JoseRizal wrote:For a team devoided of youth and talent, I'm really puzzled as to why we're wasting a potentially elite 21yo 3-level scorer that we happen to draft.

We're trying to attract the next big FA or disgruntled star. We are not eyeing a long term rebuild. Hopefully this last 40+ point game reminds teams of Cam's capabilities. If so, he could be a decent trade chip as part of a larger deal.

We can only increase his trade value by playing him. I don't see any reason why he doesn't get minutes, even during garbage time.

If the FO values him (which I think they don't), they let him work on his deficiencies such as defense and tunnel vision. Maybe a G-League stint is better than being buried on the bench all the time. He didn't get injured, and yet he only played 70% of the 82 games.

Again, I'm not espousing him to be our next young star. But we should at least not WASTE the obvious talent the kid has.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,437

Post#51 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:38 am

I wouldn’t write him off as an actual NBA rotation player, but we see time and time again how guys like him, who are eventually successful go. It’s usually on their 3rd or 4th team in their late 20’s.

Benched when the games matter on first team, but is a ball of fire when played(stats-wise).

Gets traded to bad team, lights it up, but is labeled negative impact low bbiq chucker.

Gets traded to treadmill team in the late lotto. People have got in his head and let him know, you change your style of play and attitude, or you’re playing in Serbia or China. Changes his approach, probably has a good coach aside him.

Team gets a good offer on him and trades him to a legit playoff team/contender where all his remaining deficiencies can be masked. 6xth man of the year candidate for 3-6 seasons.

Most guys of his ilk fade out of the league, or become low minute rotation players on bad team, after bad team though.

A lot of people don’t realize, a guy like him often stunts the growth of other young guys he’s playing with, and undermines the coach, so that’s why he’s benched.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Eatgreenz
Senior
And1: 315

Post#52 » by Eatgreenz » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:11 am

Cam has looked off a open KD to shoot a floater over 2 ppl. When does he decide to actually work on trying to become a complete bball player. Whose eager to play a 6'3 one way scorer
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#53 » by NetsJets » Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:19 am

People wonder why Seth gets minutes over Cam. For 1 Seth can run an offense, can spot up and while this isn’t saying much he’s a better defender.

My advice to Cam is to work on being a spot up shooter once he does that everything else will open up for him, I don’t think that’s an unreasonable ask.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,635

Post#54 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:00 am

Skybox wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

It's so intriguing...would have to involve serious Psych eval...I just watched his higlights from recent 40pt game - not once did he appear to even consider not shooting. He seemed absolutely uninterested in his teammates. In fact, if they'd go sit on the bench, he'd have more room to work :lol:

All that said, he's a freakin' bucket and a half.

Yeah, he definitely is, but what you noticed is why I'm not as bullish on Cam as others are. He freezes everyone out.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#55 » by NetsJets » Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:30 am

Jamal Crawford, Lou Williams and Malik Monk is who Cam needs to watch and learn from in terms of being an offensive weapon off the bench.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#56 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:09 pm

Well, he’s a walking bucket.

I’m hoping I am totally wrong on him.

Hopefully he keeps up his strong play and is a main piece in a Donovan Mitchell deal by the summer.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 970

Post#57 » by Decipher » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:31 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Well, he’s a walking bucket.

Hopefully he keeps up his strong play and is a main piece in a Donovan Mitchell deal by the summer.

He’s paid roughly 10% of Mitchell’s salary for not appreciably less output and has at least equal upside
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,329

Post#58 » by Papi_swav » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:37 pm

We should extend him right now. Before he continues dropping 30 a night and we have to max him out. We can probably get him for a bargain now
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#59 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:22 pm

Decipher wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Well, he’s a walking bucket.

He’s paid roughly 10% of Mitchell’s salary for not appreciably less output and has at least equal upside

I mean I’m coming around on him and admittedly had been too critical, but let’s take it slow. Mitchell is a young perennial top 10-20 player who can do it all.

At least equal upside is hyperbolic even if he ultimately does become a top 10 in the league stud somehow.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#60 » by TheNetsFan » Wed Nov 1, 2023 12:18 am

Papi_swav wrote:We should extend him right now. Before he continues dropping 30 a night and we have to max him out. We can probably get him for a bargain now

Absolutely not. He has a $12mil cap hold in 2025, when we're expected to have a ton of cap space. You don't give that flexibility up.

Return to Brooklyn Nets