ImageImageImageImageImage

Poll-dilocks! Which Star Guard Is Coming to Brooklyn?

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Poll-dilocks! Which Star Guard Is Coming to Brooklyn? 

Post#1 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Apr 3, 2023 2:21 am

Hello, friends.

Though I don't frequent this board as muchthese days, I still love to get your feedback as a sounding board. Even though Dinwiddie is like 4th in the league in assists since we traded for him, we obviously lack some elite level shot creation at the PG position.

There are a number of guards who could become available this summer, some of whom you may feel are too valuable for our price range, others you may not feel it's worth sending anything to acquire. I'm looking for that magical Goldilocks sweet spot, where you think we can afford to trade for a player, and that player can lift us to a higher level of play.

I'm considering the Twins are off limits. Mikal is simply the bedrock of this team at present. Cam Johnson is off limits because he is restricted free agent, we like him and because Mikal wants us to keep him.

Claxton is our homegrown stud, Marks' proof of concept as a talent evaluator, and he's a bargain. Still, if the *perfect* deal came, I think we'd have to pull the trigger. Everyone else is open for discussion.

THE TARGETS:

Damian Lillard
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Trae Young
Zach Lavine
Bradley Beal
CJ McCollum
Tyler Herro
Jordan Poole

Please copy and paste this list, and if you think we should trade for them, let me know what you think a competitive offer would be. Ok go!
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,380

Re: Poll-dilocks! Which Star Guard Is Coming to Brooklyn? 

Post#2 » by Papi_swav » Mon Apr 3, 2023 2:45 am

I think Cam J should be available, he's too inconsistent and Bridges does what he does 2 times better.

SGA should be priority #1. He is THAT guy. Him with Bridges and Claxton will make our defense elite and he's a top scorer in the league. He's an All NBA talent already and he's still young. He'll likely cost most of our picks if not all, but I don't think OKC trades him anyway. I think they would like to see him play and grow with Chet first.

Zach Lavine should be right after SGA. He's played incredible for years on the Bulls. I thought he was falling off the way he started the year off but it seems like he was coming back from injury and he still efficient even with some of his athleticism going away. He's a gifted scorer and he's actually a good 1 on 1 defender, and he's still under 30 so he fits the timeline. I just wouldn't want to trade every single pick we have for him. but he's a guy I think we can get with the Bulls not looking to good now. A trade of Cam J, Cam T and 3 picks I'll be ok with. But if it's over that than no thanks. I don't believe in getting rid of every pick we have like we did with Harden.

Dame I'm kinda torn on. Yes he would be awesome right now but for how long? He's already over 30 and getting injured so how much of his prime does he have left? And we definitely can't get rid of all our assets for a soon to be over the hill player. Reminds me of the Dwill, Pierce & KG, Harden trades. They left a bad taste in my mouth but I'm leaning towards no on Dame.

Absolutely NO on Trae Young, Beal, McCollum, Poole and Herro. They can produce and put up good numbers but I don't see them as winning players at all. The Wiz are actually better without Beal. Trae Young had one great year where he reached the ECF and hasn't done much since. McCollum is ehh, gettind old and isn't even an all star talent. Poole and Herro are guys that takes alot of shots, I think Cam Thomas can play almost as good as them if giving the minutes and he's much cheaper than them and won't have to give up assets for a high volume scorer. All these guys are overpaid and just doesn't equate enough to winning ball.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#3 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Apr 3, 2023 3:01 am

Thanks for the detailed response, P_s!

Yeah, I wish it were as simple as playing hardball with CJ in restricted free agency, or coordinating a sign and trade if he signs a big offer sheet. I like him A LOT, but I'd rather not have to match a near max offer just to keep him. Still, I think curating the vibes is paramount, and Bridges would not be his best self if we lost Cam J. So, if some team decides to make us pay for forcing other team's hands with Otto Porter, Tyler Johnson and Allen Crabbe, we just might take our own medicine.

On the Dame point, I feel you. He is a bona fide superstar, but he's 32 and the Blazers training staff has basically ruined his abdomen. He's signed for 4 more years, which is great for stability. But the size of his max extension would severely limit future financial flexibility.

It would be so Nets of us to trade Lillard to Portland for nothing (he was the #6 pick we lost in the Gerald Wallace deal), and THEN trade for him right before he becomes an albatross contract. I actually think his style of play will age well, but it would be just our luck!
-- Steve Martin
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#4 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Apr 3, 2023 3:20 am

My take on this poll is as follows:

Damian Lillard - I'd roll the dice, IF we can offload Ben in the process. The Blazers might balk at that stipulation, but with Dame's age and injury history, I think it's fair. Simmons/Thomas/Sharpe, plus 2 of our 1sts would be my top offer.

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander - my dream, it's probably unrealistic after this breakout season. But I'd give anything not named Mikal.

Trae Young - I don't love this idea, but he's young, and Marks has a long standing relationship with the Hawks front office. Something tells me this will be the most leaked / rumored Nets possible deal, whether or not we execute it. I would need to keep Nic to give Trae a P&R partner, and I'm just not willing to sell the farm for him.

Zach Lavine - yes, please. Chicago would be wiser to rebuild around him, but it seems like he's on the move. I'm not getting into a bidding war, but he'd be a great fit for our needs.

Bradley Beal - ugh. I'm not convinced he's a winner or a leader, he's slowing down and is a low effort defender. His contract is way larger than his impact. That said, if Washington are willing to eat Simmons and not greedy about additional sweetener, I'd entertain it.

CJ McCollum - great communicator, but like Dinwiddie, he's just in between levels. He's not a #1, and he's slightly over qualified to be a 2nd option. It also hurts that he doesn't defend or playmake like a typical #2. He's getting old, too. I'd pass.

Tyler Herro - eyeroll emoji. He could be a superstar in 2 years, but right now, I don't see a better player than Spencer, and I'm not sure he ever gets there. Miami is gonna want us to eat Robinson, too. No thanks.

Jordan Poole - this gets interesting. He's not as good as Tyler, and he's an even worse defender than Herro. Somehow, I just believe he has a better chance at reaching true star level. Golden State is going to need cap relief, he might be a bargain relative to others on this list.
-- Steve Martin
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#5 » by Tha King » Mon Apr 3, 2023 3:53 am

Dame - trading what it would take to get a point guard towards the end of his career would not be it imo. Don't think this team is a Dame away from being on the Bucks or Celtics level.

Trae - I'd say yes because he's basically an offensive system you can build out a team with and has shown he can rise to the occasion in the playoffs. However, the Hawks gave up some of their picks to get Murray (FA next year) so I doubt they'll be looking to rebuild.

Lavine - Injury prone and not good enough as a playmaker to be a lead guard.

McCollum - If the Pelicans are just looking to retool and get off his contract (i.e. for expirings with no picks) he could be a solid option.

Beal, Poole, Herro - No.

I'll add Brogdon/D.White. Depending on how the playoffs go for the Celtics, they might reconfigure their roster a bit. They have incredible guard depth with Brogdon/White as bench players when R.Williams is starting and they might look to move one of the two in order to make keeping Grant Williams (RFA) easier and get better depth elsewhere. Either one would be perfect for this team.

------
Overall, I am of the opinion you don't make any major moves this offseason and just slowly build this roster. I don't think this team is at a point where you can say it's one star guard away. The Hawks went the route of adding that type of star in Murray last offseason to an uncertain roster and they are exactly where they were last year as a team with fewer draft picks. When you think about it, how many trades for star players have actually worked out recently?

To take a step up, I think you lean on player development (i.e. Claxton) and Marks doing what he's done best:
1) Draft - this draft is considered very deep and should still have playmakers and wings within our range
2) Find the next Din, Joe, Brown, etc. i.e. 'buy low' for a guard. Some examples:
Jalen Suggs/Cole Anthony/Fultz
Quickley - It could/would take something for the Knicks to trade him but I think he's got good starter level potential but likely never going to be a starter on the Knicks with Brunson
Davion Mitchell
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#6 » by gigantes » Mon Apr 3, 2023 4:24 am

Tha King wrote:Overall, I am of the opinion you don't make any major moves this offseason and just slowly build this roster. I don't think this team is at a point where you can say it's one star guard away. The Hawks went the route of adding that type of star in Murray last offseason to an uncertain roster and they are exactly where they were last year as a team with fewer draft picks. When you think about it, how many trades for star players have actually worked out recently?

To take a step up, I think you lean on player development (i.e. Claxton) and Marks doing what he's done best:
1) Draft - this draft is considered very deep and should still have playmakers and wings within our range
2) Find the next Din, Joe, Brown, etc. i.e. 'buy low' for a guard. Some examples:
Jalen Suggs/Cole Anthony/Fultz
Quickley - It could/would take something for the Knicks to trade him but I think he's got good starter level potential but likely never going to be a starter on the Knicks with Brunson
Davion Mitchell

After thinking about the topic, I came back to say very much the above.

I think the smartest thing right now is to look for some bargain PG's, some prospect PG's, some low-cost vets good at setting the table... that kind of thing.

Not just because I'm tired of this team sending draft picks out the door to "win now," but because the urgency simply isn't there. Plus, there's not necessarily any need for a big-scoring, gravimetric PG when the team might well flourish with someone who can get other guys going first. Someone who's good at knowing when & where teammates like the ball, because so far that's been pretty lacking.

I'm saying throw some pasta against the wall next season, see what sticks, and if things look promising enough, maybe THEN take a big swing at the deadline, if the future picks are still burning a hole in Sean Marks' pockets.

The other issue is of course Ben Simmons and his salary. Sure there's a real argument that he's already done, but the guy still has yet to complete his 12-18mo. rehabilitation period. Regardless, even if he only comes back at 75% of his PHI ability, he would still be a big, useful upgrade over what we have now.

Or, even just trading a little of our surplus of 3&D depth, that may suffice for the time being.
Eatgreenz
Senior
And1: 317

Post#7 » by Eatgreenz » Mon Apr 3, 2023 7:23 am

Besides seeing how Ben rehab goes, only other guard which might be a Longshot to get is Lamelo. Who has that ability to take this team to another level. Draft options i like if we can move up would be Anthony black(lonzo/giddy type pg) or maybe one of thompson twins.
MaxZaslofskyJr
Rookie
And1: 671
Location: Teaneck, Long Island, Piscataway, Meadowlands, Newark, Brooklyn

Post#8 » by MaxZaslofskyJr » Mon Apr 3, 2023 11:07 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:
It would be so Nets of us ...

I got HUGE LOL out of that one!
Les Selvage pioneered today's "modern basketball" in 1967.
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,390

Post#9 » by Marvin Martian » Mon Apr 3, 2023 12:57 pm

Tha King wrote:
------
When you think about it, how many trades for star players have actually worked out recently?

Anthony Davis
Jrue Holiday
Donovan Mitchell
Kawhi Leonard (TOR)
Sabonis
SergiuRoBuc
Freshman
And1: 24

Post#10 » by SergiuRoBuc » Mon Apr 3, 2023 1:03 pm

SGA, aside from being head and shoulders above everyone else on that list (including Dame from a trade value POV), is under contract with OKC until 2027 when he'll be an unrestricted FA. He's a Top 4 point guard in this league, alongside Steph, Ja and Luka (in whatever order). There is literally ZERO chance OKC would ever trade him. I mean would you trade him? No. So, why would they?

Before looking into any trades, the Nets should explore free agency at the end of this season, which is when Jordan Clarkson's contract with Utah runs out. He's got a player option but there's little chance he'll be picking it up. The guy is a perfect fit with y'allz roster, will give you 20 ppg off the bench with his eyes closed, and he's a competitor, great locker room guy.

I fear no other star guards would be available in a trade that doesn't decimate the roster. Dame would cost a great deal, not just picks but likely DFS, Cam J, Spence etc. Trae is not getting traded, Lavine.. I'm not sure why you'd want him. He's not a great fit for how this team is playing. He's a ball stopping guard. Same for Beal, plus again you'd have to give up too much to get him. CJ not worth it, Herro not getting traded. Poole's interesting but I'm not sure how he fits in. Starting PG or backup PG? I bet he 100% wants his own team, which makes teams like ORL, WAS, MIN much more likely to trade for him.

I think VanVleet will be available this offseason though. Something like Dinwiddie and something else for FVV. Sort of a sideways move though, not sure if it moves the needle that much.

Oh and someone mentioned Cole Anthony's name earlier. He could be worth looking into. Honestly though, the guy I'd try to bring on is Jordan Clarkson. Come pre-season, 29 GMs are going to be kicking themselves for not finding a way to sign/trade for him.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#11 » by Keith Van Horn » Mon Apr 3, 2023 2:44 pm

suggesting to add Luka and Van Vleet.

Luka is kinda pipe dream scenario, right behind SGA. But he'd be a perfect fit here. On one of the last Bill Simmon's shows, Russilo was talking about how Luka would be awesome on a team currently constructed like Brookln.

And if FVV opts out and tests the market, I'd really entertain making him an offer. I think his game is balanced enough and he's got the pedigree proven in Toronto.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,601

Post#12 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Apr 3, 2023 2:54 pm

Unless SGA or Luka were made available (not happening), I would be patient & try to maintain a max slot in 2025. There will be elite FAs available that offseason. Maybe you can convince a guy like Mitchell to play closer to home or steal Markkannen from Utah. That will require restraint and/or tough decisions with Johnson and Claxton though.

The draft is guard heavy. Maybe Marks can find a gem in the early 20s or find a way to trade up for one. We can definitely improve from Dinwiddie and PG, but there's probably more room for improvement to be had at forward.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Keith Van Horn » Mon Apr 3, 2023 2:58 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:My take on this poll is as follows:

Damian Lillard - I'd roll the dice, IF we can offload Ben in the process. The Blazers might balk at that stipulation, but with Dame's age and injury history, I think it's fair. Simmons/Thomas/Sharpe, plus 2 of our 1sts would be my top offer.

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander - my dream, it's probably unrealistic after this breakout season. But I'd give anything not named Mikal.

Trae Young - I don't love this idea, but he's young, and Marks has a long standing relationship with the Hawks front office. Something tells me this will be the most leaked / rumored Nets possible deal, whether or not we execute it. I would need to keep Nic to give Trae a P&R partner, and I'm just not willing to sell the farm for him.

Zach Lavine - yes, please. Chicago would be wiser to rebuild around him, but it seems like he's on the move. I'm not getting into a bidding war, but he'd be a great fit for our needs.

Bradley Beal - ugh. I'm not convinced he's a winner or a leader, he's slowing down and is a low effort defender. His contract is way larger than his impact. That said, if Washington are willing to eat Simmons and not greedy about additional sweetener, I'd entertain it.

CJ McCollum - great communicator, but like Dinwiddie, he's just in between levels. He's not a #1, and he's slightly over qualified to be a 2nd option. It also hurts that he doesn't defend or playmake like a typical #2. He's getting old, too. I'd pass.

Tyler Herro - eyeroll emoji. He could be a superstar in 2 years, but right now, I don't see a better player than Spencer, and I'm not sure he ever gets there. Miami is gonna want us to eat Robinson, too. No thanks.

Jordan Poole - this gets interesting. He's not as good as Tyler, and he's an even worse defender than Herro. Somehow, I just believe he has a better chance at reaching true star level. Golden State is going to need cap relief, he might be a bargain relative to others on this list.

I think that's fair on Dame. I've always been a fan of his, but age is getting there, and the fact he's been in one spot his whole career... concerns me a little in terms of what happened with us after KG/Pierce came here. Pierce was trashing us non-stop after he retired and he's just riding the glory of his Celtics days constantly. But I like to notion that if we can unload someone like Ben, then it may be worth the trade off.

SGA -- Luka -- Ja ---- all dream scenarios. All NBA players, all MVP caliber outcomes in their careers I think.

Lavine - he's grown on me a lot. I remember thinking he was just an uber athlete who dunks all over, but man is a gifted scorer. Gives me VC vibes, and I like it! At the right price I'd take him. Dinwiddie / Lavine / Bridges... could be a lot of fun.

Beal, the name I love, but I'm not sure about the results. Is he an empty calorie guy... idk.

Not sure sold on guys like Poole, Herro, CJM. Would rather shoot for FVV if he opts out.

And I think Trae Young should be a target. I know he's polarizing to many. But he's a game changer on offense, and after watching this team at times this year, we go stale on offense a lot. I wouldn't sell the farm for him, but I'm definitely kicking the tired and seeing. He's maybe bottom of my personal wish list, as of right now. (I also have etched in my memory the Hawk-Knicks serious and how badly he torched them and got under their skin. What a seasonal rivalry it'd be if we got him)

I'd go this:

SGA - sell the farm
Luka - sell the farm
Ja - sell the farm
Lavine - buy a little above market
FVV - depends if he opts out, would give sizeable contract
Lillard - at the right price
Young - at the right price

and IDK about Beal, Poole, Herro, CJM
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Keith Van Horn » Mon Apr 3, 2023 3:01 pm

SergiuRoBuc wrote:SGA, aside from being head and shoulders above everyone else on that list (including Dame from a trade value POV), is under contract with OKC until 2027 when he'll be an unrestricted FA. He's a Top 4 point guard in this league, alongside Steph, Ja and Luka (in whatever order). There is literally ZERO chance OKC would ever trade him. I mean would you trade him? No. So, why would they?

Before looking into any trades, the Nets should explore free agency at the end of this season, which is when Jordan Clarkson's contract with Utah runs out. He's got a player option but there's little chance he'll be picking it up. The guy is a perfect fit with y'allz roster, will give you 20 ppg off the bench with his eyes closed, and he's a competitor, great locker room guy.

I fear no other star guards would be available in a trade that doesn't decimate the roster. Dame would cost a great deal, not just picks but likely DFS, Cam J, Spence etc. Trae is not getting traded, Lavine.. I'm not sure why you'd want him. He's not a great fit for how this team is playing. He's a ball stopping guard. Same for Beal, plus again you'd have to give up too much to get him. CJ not worth it, Herro not getting traded. Poole's interesting but I'm not sure how he fits in. Starting PG or backup PG? I bet he 100% wants his own team, which makes teams like ORL, WAS, MIN much more likely to trade for him.

I think VanVleet will be available this offseason though. Something like Dinwiddie and something else for FVV. Sort of a sideways move though, not sure if it moves the needle that much.

Oh and someone mentioned Cole Anthony's name earlier. He could be worth looking into. Honestly though, the guy I'd try to bring on is Jordan Clarkson. Come pre-season, 29 GMs are going to be kicking themselves for not finding a way to sign/trade for him.

I'm a fvv fan... what's going on in Toronto? Just an impasse over long term commitment from the organization? or Does he just want out? And doesn't he have a player option this offseason?
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,601

Post#15 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Apr 3, 2023 3:19 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:
SergiuRoBuc wrote:SGA, aside from being head and shoulders above everyone else on that list (including Dame from a trade value POV), is under contract with OKC until 2027 when he'll be an unrestricted FA. He's a Top 4 point guard in this league, alongside Steph, Ja and Luka (in whatever order). There is literally ZERO chance OKC would ever trade him. I mean would you trade him? No. So, why would they?

I'm a fvv fan... what's going on in Toronto? Just an impasse over long term commitment from the organization? or Does he just want out? And doesn't he have a player option this offseason?

What's going on in Toronto is a very good question. With the Nurse departure rumblings, one wonders if it may portend a rebuild, the way Snyder's Utah departure did. The flip side of that was trading for Poeltl at the deadline, which would seem to be more win-now focused. If they decide to rebuild, I wonder if Marks would reach back out in pursuit of Siakam. He was believed to be a way to try to appease KD, but he would be a seemingly good fit with this team.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#16 » by 3pt_chucker » Mon Apr 3, 2023 4:04 pm

SGA is unrealistic, so of the other names the only one I'm interested in is Dame but between his contract and what it would take to get him... no thanks.

I won't hate FVV in free agency but he's a small guard that's about to turn 30. I'm not sure the contract he wants is going to age well.

I like the Clarkson idea but given that Cam J needs to get paid, idk if that can work.

I think the Nets are probably going to draft a PG and hope Ben Simmons can get healthy.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by Keith Van Horn » Mon Apr 3, 2023 6:13 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
Keith Van Horn wrote:

Maybe they go the way of OKC and just do a total tear down and pray for a couple studs out of a trove of draft picks.
I'd trade for siakam too.

What's going on in Toronto is a very good question. With the Nurse departure rumblings, one wonders if it may portend a rebuild, the way Snyder's Utah departure did. The flip side of that was trading for Poeltl at the deadline, which would seem to be more win-now focused. If they decide to rebuild, I wonder if Marks would reach back out in pursuit of Siakam. He was believed to be a way to try to appease KD, but he would be a seemingly good fit with this team.

I'd trade for Siakam too.
I wonder if Toronto decides to become the OKC of the east and decides to go ham on draft capital acquisition...
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,050

Post#18 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 4, 2023 1:00 am

i think the Nets need to be patient. Dame is a great player and has a good head on his shoulders, but I'm not in a rush to bring in guys about to hit the wrong side of 30, especially with his health issues
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#19 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Apr 4, 2023 2:05 am

Patience should prevail

Unless a lopsided offer was accepted, no need to push into mediocrity yet, stay vigil for a real impact addition
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#20 » by Tha King » Tue Apr 4, 2023 12:04 pm

Player A: 9.5ppg - 8.6rpg - 8.3apg - 1.8spg (42 games)
Player B: 15.9ppg - 8.0rpg - 7.7apg - 1.8spg (58 games)

----------------
The above is Simmons this season (A) per 36 compared to his last season with the Sixers (B) when he was an all star. The rebounding and playmaking is still there and while his defense was inconsistent, he's still the best POA defender on the team.

I know you can't really plan a team with him penciled in as a contributor but it was interesting how comparable his season was statistically in some regards to prior years for him, even with how he played at times and looked athletically. Clearly he's one of the worst contracts in the league and not a max player but when you actually breakdown what this team needs, Simmons in the rotation helps most of that. Doesn't even need to be a starter, just a consistent part of the rotation.

POA defender
Playmaker
Rebounding
Lead Scorer

Return to Brooklyn Nets