ImageImageImageImageImage

Sean Marks and Jacque Vaughn should be fired.

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,127

Sean Marks and Jacque Vaughn should be fired. 

Post#1 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:42 pm

I'm not as harsh on Vaughn as many others here are, but frankly, no one should have security right now after this horrific season. I saw nothing from Vaughn post trade that makes me think that he warrants any further evaluation. Thank you for your professionalism in the face of complete garbage from Kyrie and KD, but I'd prefer Nick Nurse, whose resume is way better.

Sean Marks needs to be fired. He failed on multiple fronts and always left this roster fairly inadequate. The Nash hiring frankly should end him. His GMing went off the rails after he signed KD and Kyrie, and he doesn't deserve another chance.

He gave up too much for a half season of James Harden, and got back a complete bag of dog sh*t in return for him. There is zero reason why this man should be employed in July.

And Joe Tsai needs to fire himself. Another basketball dumb owner and a genocidal financier to boot. He's absolute scum.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Re: Sean Marks and Jacque Vaughn should be fired. 

Post#2 » by Shark » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:51 pm

Agreed. We got rid of our stars, we should get rid of the management around them as well. Just get a completely clean slate so that we can develop the talent we have now. Its going to be a complete waste of Bridges, Cam Johnson, Claxton, and heck I'll even throw in Cam Thomas in there.

Also I just don't trust Marks to build a true championship contender. Great guy if you want to rebuild from nothing the same way we were post-Big "5" era, but he never addressed the most pressing needs we had, primarily a big that can rebound and stretch the floor and a true PG.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,497

Post#3 » by Stone » Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:23 am

I lost a lot of respect for JV after he said "You got to hurt somebody". Yes, hoops is physical and people get hurt. But it is mostly a fitness and IQ and detail oriented sport. He made us sound like a bunch of goons.

Marks, I feel ambivalent about.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,409

Post#4 » by Marvin Martian » Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:45 am

Nurse has been arguably worse than JV as of late. He had a much more talented roster than we did and lost to a 9 year old girl at home.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,838

Post#5 » by sashaturiaf » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:16 am

We should absolutely clean house from top to bottom.

Have another read of "Marks worst moves" thread and you'll see why he should never serve another day as GM. Hes shown he doesn't have a cohesive plan for roster building, and to top it off made one of the worst trades in NBA history in the Ben Simmons trade. Our once promising young GM is now a yes man to Tsai above all. Get rid of him.

JV was a panic hire that somehow turned into our long term coach. I surmise that it was a Tsai move to spite KD/Kyrie and credit the good start to the season we had to JV instead of KD. We are now a rebuilding team and I don't think JV is the guy for player development. Just look at how he treated Cam and Sumner and any other players that showed a bit of potential. "Hey Cam, just sit your ass on the bench and watch how Dinwiddie does it. That's how you get minutes under me "
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#6 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:35 pm

Sean Marks has been GM for 7 years.

The Nets have 8 playoff wins to show for it.

The results speak for itself.

GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#7 » by GTR11 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:16 pm

Marvin Martian wrote:Nurse has been arguably worse than JV as of late. He had a much more talented roster than we did and lost to a 9 year old girl at home.

:rofl:
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 220

Post#8 » by ChuckS » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:45 pm

I'm an outsider, so forgive me for thinking differently than long time "friends" who have a like mindset. But I believe the idea proposed would be destructive.

We have a rare owner willing to spend millions in luxury tax dollars to make the Nets good. I will not mention names because he was one of my all time favorite players, but compare that to what someone else did by continually ridding a team of exceptional lottery picks before he had to pay them. And I know it is alien to us, but before also passing moral judgement, consider why someone would walk a tightrope when his financial future, and more importantly well being, are at the mercy of a powerful dictatorship.

And yes Marks has been here seven years, but IMHO has done a great job. How long should it have taken to fix the Billy King debacle, and did anyone think it was even possible at the time? He made us a league favorite for the previous two years and, except for health and prime player idiosyncrasies, we would have achieved more. It was not he who wanted Durant gone. But he did an awesome job in mitigating our great player losses, while restoring the flexibility lost by his predecessor. He has set us up well for the future.

I personally think JV has done a good job, but cannot speak to his viability because of the ridiculous situation in which he was placed.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,080

Post#9 » by Netaman » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:57 pm

this is knee jerk and would be a mistake. imo sean marks pulled off his 2 best trades ever at the deadline, and he's a guy who has a lengthy resume of good trades.

look at phoenix and dallas right now. are they screwed because of marks? or bc they too learned the hard way kyrie is radioactive and betting on kd's health has become a risky proposition?

as for JV im kind of indifferent. i dont think he's a great coach but i dont think they are losing because of him either. they are a play in team on talent, and unbalanced mishmash of parts because the priority at the deadline was asset collection not balancing a roster for an impossible doomsday run. correctly so. the team played hard for him. i dont have an issue giving him another shot, hopefully with a staff built around him to help his weaknesses (not nash's).

there is no GM i'd rather have making trades and making all the draft picks the nets have over the next several years. if he makes the picks i have no doubt they will find a few more claxton/allen/cam/leverts. which is to say more than 250m worth of basketball talent.

if he doesn't make the picks, he'll get value in the trades. and hopefully he's learned from some of the risks he's taken on talent > character. he has seen everything we've seen and knows more about the good and bad of this franchise than any exec on the planet. i will roll with marks as long as he's willing to stay here.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#10 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:07 pm

If you're fine with more of the same, that's alright too. I'm not. Marks has been horrible. 8 playoff wins, multiple first round sweeps. If that was the resume of an opposing GM, you'd all say that he sucks :crazy:

Also, outside of finding Claxton and Allen late in the draft, his other picks aren't really anything to hang your hat on.

GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#11 » by GTR11 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:12 pm

We can do a lot worse than Marks and Tsai. Unless there is clear cut better option available, I aint got no problem with them rebuilding right now.

JV is the only employee I got problem with. He is not HC or legit assistant to keep around. He needs to go. With Nurse, Ime and Borega available we should be hiring either of them guys right now.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#12 » by CalamityX12 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:18 pm

GTR11 wrote:We can do a lot worse than Marks and Tsai. Unless there is clear cut better option available, I aint got no problem with them rebuilding right now.

JV is the only employee I got problem with. He is not HC or legit assistant to keep around. He needs to go. With Nurse, Ime and Borega available we should be hiring either of them guys right now.

Exactly why we passed on Quinn Snyder too...

Cuz we have the great coach vaughn!!!!
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,203

Post#13 » by therealbig3 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:49 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:If you're fine with more of the same, that's alright too. I'm not. Marks has been horrible. 8 playoff wins, multiple first round sweeps. If that was the resume of an opposing GM, you'd all say that he sucks :crazy:

Also, outside of finding Claxton and Allen late in the draft, his other picks aren't really anything to hang your hat on.

The GM can't play though. He put together talented teams, no doubt about that. But his inability to find a good head coach and the fact that the stars either didn't play as well as advertised or were injured led to the lack of playoff success.

IDK, I don't think he's done poorly. He got a pretty good return all things considered for Kyrie and Durant that set us up for a good run here if we can add a little bit of talent and find the right head coach.

I think Marks gets unfairly targeted.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#14 » by gigantes » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:54 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Sean Marks has been GM for 7 years.

The Nets have 8 playoff wins to show for it.

The results speak for itself.

Not saying you or anyone else here is wrong in the slightest to feel used, disgusted and fatigued.
I believe we've been good fans and loyal fans through all this, plus many of us here have gone to the games and supported the team in whatever ways we could. Indeed, this sub right here is head-and-shoulders the best Nets talk site on the internet IMO. Prove me wrong.

But in terms of the cold, hard facts:
No, I strongly disagree with the last sentence.

No, dude was given a flaming garbage heap in the bad part of town, and somehow, someway turned it in to an actual playoff team in the space of three seasons. It's one of the most incredible things I've ever seen in sports mgmt.

He also turned BRK in to an attractive destination that brought us solid 1-2yr rotation players through the years, right through the Kyrie-Durant period.

From out of nothing, he fielded a title contender for three straight seasons. Granted, every year something went wrong by the end, but 90% of that was well out of Marks' control. I.e. the covid epidemic, Kyrie, systemic cop abuse against African-Americans, Kyrie, Harden injury, Kyrie, Giannis making a non-bball play on Kyrie, Harden being borderline worthless at trade time, Kyrie playing ego games with the mandate, KD&KI underwhelming against the Celts, Kyrie feeling "betrayed," and finally, Durant giving up.

That said, Marks never should have touched Kyrie in the first place, and of course, never should have hired Nash. But even the Nash hiring has an asterisk, as it was appeasement towards the loonies in charge, as was not having a proper PG this season.

Let's also not forget that ~99% of Nets fans and people here were absolutely *thrilled* about signing KD & KI in the first place. The same duo who could only tolerate a player-friendly coach and seemingly wanted to share PG duties themselves unless a star PG was involved. To me that's a set of constraints that's... pretty self-limiting. Regardless, Marks did everything he could to empower these guys, and they're ultimately the ones who pouted themselves right out of town, led by Kyrie of course.

Yeah, I get that the teams Marks built weren't necessarily perfectly-balanced in terms of the rotation & subs, but the fact is that we were consistently hampered in signing others by the enormous contracts given to the stars.

Looking ahead, I see this summer as Marks' big opportunity to build the kind of team he thinks will actually work. Yes, the Ben Simmons situation is incredibly perplexing & complicating, but let's hope his recovery really is going well, as the reports state.

I don't actually mind firing Vaughn for Nurse or whoever, but I don't think that flies for a number of reasons, starting with the fact that it's just too soon. Because let's also not forget that it would have been pretty damn awkward not to have extended him after he helped turn the team around, whilst KD & KI were still here.

Another reminder-- at the end of the day, this team has significantly more upside than even the year three playoff team did, and just about the same draft futures. Marks has well-earned the next season, and after that, if the team disappoints again or seems dysfunctional, I'm okay with axing him.

Another way of looking at it, and one that I feel is perfectly true and valid, is that Mikhail Prokhorov's absurd recklessness in giving away #1 picks put the next regime in an almost impossible situation. IMO it would almost have been better if the team didn't actually try to get better the next few years, such that when our picks were replenished, we would have had some prime lottery talent to choose from. Still, raise your hand if you would have been happy watching complete trash in Nets uniforms for 3-4 years, am I right?

Btw, the Tsai criticism seems totally misplaced IMO. Dude has zero control over what the genocidal CCP do back home, and his business partner found out the hard way what happens when a Chinese person critiques the CCP. If anything, it's the NBA and people like LeBron who should be ashamed for willingly being involved in that whole mess.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#15 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:03 pm

Marks = 8 playoff wins, 7 seasons.

Billy King = 10 playoff wins, 6 seasons.

Keep making excuses.

TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#16 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:05 am

MrDollarBills wrote:Marks = 8 playoff wins, 7 seasons.

Keep making excuses.

Marks started in a severely negative, asset poor territory. King started with an asset trove in place.

Marks took a gamble on an injured star that couldn't even play for a year. That gamble paid off.

Marks also had to navigate a pandemic and local legal issues associated with it.

I consider Marks one of the better GMs in the league. Teams would scoop him up in an instant if he was available.

Vaughn sucks. He can go.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#17 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:07 am

TheNetsFan wrote:

Keep making excuses.

Marks started in a severely negative, asset poor territory. King started with an asset trove in place.

Marks took a gamble on an injured star that couldn't even play for a year. That gamble paid off.

Marks also had to navigate a pandemic and local legal issues associated with it.

I consider Marks one of the better GMs in the league. Teams would scoop him up in an instant if he was available.

Vaughn sucks. He can go.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

I feel like everyone is resting on the laurels with Marks' first few years of fixing King's mess, but remember this guy offered huge contracts to Allen Crabbe and Tyler Johnson. Gave Steve Nash a job.

He's overrated

Netaman
Analyst

Post#18 » by Netaman » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:54 am

MrDollarBills wrote:If you're fine with more of the same, that's alright too. I'm not. Marks has been horrible. 8 playoff wins, multiple first round sweeps. If that was the resume of an opposing GM, you'd all say that he sucks :crazy:

how quickly it's forgotten what he came into. a 20 win team that had no picks and no talent and has now made playoffs 5 years in a row (out of 7 seasons). playoffs in 5/7 years when he took over would have been a 1000 to 1 bet. probably even longer odds than that. it would have been even longer odds to be attractive enough to get kd/kyrie to choose brooklyn > knicks.

in 2/7 they entered the favorite to win the whole thing. we dont need to go through the litany of reasons they didnt, but he absolutely built a legitimate championship contender. i dont care what round it was they played the eventual 2021 champion to a classic 7 game series they were within a shoe size of winning even though 2 of their 3 best players were hurt.

and he did that with only 4 first round picks and none better than #20.

and if there's any doubting that he's a quality gm the price he got for kd is beyond a steal. bridges may already be worth more than KD by himself. not to mention the picks and cj. im so old i remember when most of this board was complaining that he blew it by passing on jaylen brown and 1 frp.

who is the better gm you're hiring?
Netaman
Analyst

Post#19 » by Netaman » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:09 am

Keep making excuses.

jfc i respect you as a poster but this is moronic.

was a single team he built a real contender?
what did the winning % of the rosters he literally mortgaged the farm for look like at the end of his tenure?
how many top 10 picks did he own/trade/blow?

marks came into king's ****, turned it around to not only create an ACTUAL contender, then restocked assets on the fly that will allow them to not have to bottom out in a death spiral like king's did.

marks took a rusted out 1982 pinto on blocks and turned it into a ferrari. he rode that ferrari until the wheels came off, which clearly was sooner than any of us wanted, but you know what? we got a few years in a ferrari and still flipped it for a g wagon. we are light years ahead of where we were before him and not in a half bad position with bridges signed for 4 years on a steal of a contract and tons of draft picks. he and claxton are legit building blocks.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#20 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:10 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:

Keep making excuses.

Vaughn sucks. He can go.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

I feel like everyone is resting on the laurels with Marks' first few years of fixing King's mess, but remember this guy offered huge contracts to Allen Crabbe and Tyler Johnson. Gave Steve Nash a job.

He's overrated

Those deals were matched, Marks had to overpay to get talent in given our situation, and he had to put out a talented team to attract FAs. Deals need to be looked at within a grand scheme instead of in isolation.

Return to Brooklyn Nets