50%

Total votes: 16

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,428

Which Superstar PG Would You Choose? 

Post#1 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Jun 9, 2023 5:01 am

Let's just throw out an hypothetical.

Damian Lillard requests a trade on July 9th, the first day he is trade-eligible. He wants to come to Brooklyn, and Portland demands Harris, Mills, O'Neale, the 21st and 22nd picks and 1 more future 1st for Dame. However...

Memphis has quietly floated that they are ready to move on from Ja Morant, due to the 50-game suspension that Adam Silver (hypothetically) levied. They're willing to take the same package of players, but with 5 future 1sts instead of 1. It's a steeper price, and there is legitimate risk that Ja could make another poor choice in the future, after years of operating with impunity.

Which guy would you want for Brooklyn?

Morant - 9yrs younger, $13mil cheaper, better slasher and passer

Lillard - better player right now, better leader on and off court, better shooter
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Re: Which Superstar PG Would You Choose? 

Post#2 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Jun 9, 2023 1:04 pm

Right now, it's a tough question that will have more clarity after Silver's comments & issues the pending suspension (sometime between the finals and draft). That's a cheap package for either guy, but assuming nothing crazy comes out gambling on the young guy is the better bet.

Edit: I take that back. I initially read it as 5 firsts instead of the 3 for Dame. 7 total firsts changes the calculus.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#3 » by Keith Van Horn » Fri Jun 9, 2023 1:24 pm

If this were a video game - Ja

But since this is rl - Dame

Ja will cost more than the farm and has so much toxicity tied to his situation.

I mean, looking at 2024 and beyond, this could have been a silly exercise and we'd be dumb for not saying Morant... it could be like a VC thing.

But idk man, I just want to see our guys hoop, have fun, and be competitive. We had our "fun" with Kyrie.... super amazing, all world talent -- first class **** that's always bringing unwanted attention to the team and jeopardizing the team's chances to win. I'm done with that kind of stuff for now.

I think Dame has the intangibles that can continue to maximize the Bridges/Claxton type core we're building with too. I just have a feeling there.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,457

Post#4 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Jun 9, 2023 2:19 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:Lillard - better player right now, better leader on and off court, better shooter

Better player right now? Idk about that, not even for one season right now.

Better leader? Debatable, even with all the mind numbing stupidity of Ja off court, his teammates still supposedly love him.

Better shooter? That’s for the courts to decide… :falloff:
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#5 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Jun 9, 2023 8:43 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:Lillard - better player right now, better leader on and off court, better shooter

Better player right now? Idk about that, not even for one season right now.

Better leader? Debatable, even with all the mind numbing stupidity of Ja off court, his teammates still supposedly love him.

Better shooter? That’s for the courts to decide… :falloff:

Well played, my friend, ha!
-- Steve Martin
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#6 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Jun 9, 2023 9:03 pm

I tried to be as fair and realistic with this hypothetical (very plausible) scenario as possible. To the point, where I wasnt sure which guy I would choose!

I've ultimately gone with Lillard. I would be thrilled to land either, positives and negatives. Ja could literally be the face of the league for the next decade, it would be amazing IF he made good on his vast potential. But, the more I think about it, Morant is just too good at sabotaging himself, on and off the court.

Damian is not going to cost as much, and you know what you're getting. Keeping more of the future assets from PHX and DAL that we would have to give in order to get Ja is in itself an investment in the future.
-- Steve Martin
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#7 » by GTR11 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:01 am

I'm not giving either team 3 picks let alone 4,5 or whatever they hope they can get. We got time working in our favor, it's wise to sit and wait for further chaos ( which will happen for sure ) and lower the cost.

I'm more interested in LaMelo and Scoot situation in Charlotte. Ingram vs Zion drama.

Dame is a year maybe two away from being washed up and his body already breaking down. Also any talks of us taking that trash called Nurkic contract should be deaded at the spot. That's another dead weight that will require assets to be moved. With all respect to Dame, he ain't worth that much now. I'd rather see Philthy or Cheats overpay.

PS Pat won't go after Dame, he has Brown and Ingram on his mind.

Return to Brooklyn Nets