ImageImageImageImageImage

Cam Johnson RFA (Update: Re-signed $108 million/4 years)

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,807

Cam Johnson RFA (Update: Re-signed $108 million/4 years) 

Post#1 » by theBigLip » Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:14 pm

Pistons fan here. I think we are one of several teams that will make a serious offer for Cam. At what point does Brooklyn not match and what would be a reasonable sign and trade? Or do you think the strategy will be to match any offer regardless of the cost?
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Re: Cam Johnson RFA 

Post#2 » by theBigLip » Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:20 pm

Brooklyn enters the offseason only $10 million below the $162 million tax threshold and will likely end up a tax team after giving a new contract to Johnson, barring a trade of another player on the roster. If Johnson's contract starts with a $20 million salary for 2023-24, Brooklyn would need to move at least $15 million in salary to avoid the tax. If the Nets don't, they'll be over the tax and the new "first apron" in the collective bargaining agreement that starts in July. The good news is that the Nets have five players earning between $6.8 and $20 million on expiring contracts, including the $9.5 million partially guaranteed salary of Royce O'Neale.
JKiddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 327

Post#3 » by JKiddy » Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:46 pm

I do not think he is getting to free agency. That is unlikely.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,437

Post#4 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:55 pm

JKiddy wrote:I do not think he is getting to free agency. That is unlikely.

I actually think there’s a good chance he’s S&T’d.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
JKiddy
Bench Warmer

Post#5 » by JKiddy » Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:39 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
JKiddy wrote:I do not think he is getting to free agency. That is unlikely.

I actually think there’s a good chance he’s S&T’d.

For who? Bagley and Stewart if we trade Dayron?

Bogs is too old.

Cade isn't going anywhere and that wouldn't be accepted.

What makes sense?

Wiseman, Bogs (as an expiring), and a pick?
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,070

Post#6 » by Netaman » Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:43 pm

when was the last big RFA s&t? more specifically was one recently traded for a top 10 pick?

that's the only way I could see the nets moving cam j, and i may be forgetting something but i cant remember that happening any time recently.
JKiddy
Bench Warmer

Post#7 » by JKiddy » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:38 pm

I honestly do not see Cam moving. I think the Nets are going to trade a bunch of players and picks but will build around Bridges, CamJo, Claxton and keep Royce, Yuta, and a few of the 2-way/G-Leaguesque guys.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#8 » by GTR11 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:51 pm

theBigLip wrote:
Brooklyn enters the offseason only $10 million below the $162 million tax threshold and will likely end up a tax team after giving a new contract to Johnson, barring a trade of another player on the roster. If Johnson's contract starts with a $20 million salary for 2023-24, Brooklyn would need to move at least $15 million in salary to avoid the tax. If the Nets don't, they'll be over the tax and the new "first apron" in the collective bargaining agreement that starts in July. The good news is that the Nets have five players earning between $6.8 and $20 million on expiring contracts, including the $9.5 million partially guaranteed salary of Royce O'Neale.

That's the key info right there with expiring contracts. Beside KD trade rumors we usually won't hear leaks until after thing happened. Than if lucky we will get some info after, but that is not usual thing.
Our sauces :lol: say Marks want to move up the draft, which means he will have to move player or two.
All and all Tsai/Marks set the cap to pursue FA next two off-seasons. I doubt they'll go over 4 year 100 million.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#9 » by GTR11 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:03 pm

JKiddy wrote:I honestly do not see Cam moving. I think the Nets are going to trade a bunch of players and picks but will build around Bridges, CamJo, Claxton and keep Royce, Yuta, and a few of the 2-way/G-Leaguesque guys.

Yuta is not coming back. Him and his agent already said that much. Money and role ain't what they signed up for. Mavs, LA and GSW seem to be his destination.

I can see CamJ being moved in S&T. Detroit is one of the teams that can afford to overpay him. Is it smart move? Probably not. I'd rather entertain taking Kuminga and Pool of GSW hands for some unprotected picks ( and those will be lotto :nod: ) or something similar to it. There are desperate teams that want to free up cap space.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,329

Post#10 » by Papi_swav » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:31 pm

I definitely see him as S&T bait but Pistons don't have anything I'd want. They're not trading any of the young guys and I don't want Bogs and the other players are kinda trash. Only way I see it is if Pistons send the Nets a FRP with light protections, maybe like a top 5-6 protection. Other than that I'm good. But I can see Pistons offering him top dollar that he can't refuse so that'll play the Nets hand.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#11 » by 3pt_chucker » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:50 pm

CamJ is 100% back. S&T makes no sense either given the CBA and the historically low return you actually get.

Nets will most likely match anything. Can dump DFS or Royce if they need to clear a contract for flexibility.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#12 » by theBigLip » Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:46 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:CamJ is 100% back. S&T makes no sense either given the CBA and the historically low return you actually get.

Nets will most likely match anything. Can dump DFS or Royce if they need to clear a contract for flexibility.

Would Nets match a 4/$120M offer? Pistons could (and likely will) overpay. They badly need a young wing that can shoot. I also agree S&T not so likely. By the time a team like the Nets realizes they can’t afford to match, they’ve lost all their leverage.
JKiddy
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by JKiddy » Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:05 pm

I do not see any team playing Cam Johnson $30M a year. He is a very good player. But, that would strap your books and devastate your franchise. You cannot pay him #1 money and expect to be competitive long term.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#14 » by GTR11 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:29 am

Papi_swav wrote:I definitely see him as S&T bait but Pistons don't have anything I'd want. They're not trading any of the young guys and I don't want Bogs and the other players are kinda trash. Only way I see it is if Pistons send the Nets a FRP with light protections, maybe like a top 5-6 protection. Other than that I'm good. But I can see Pistons offering him top dollar that he can't refuse so that'll play the Nets hand.

With Nic's injurie history i wouldn't dismiss opportunity getting Stewart from them. I love his motor and physicality.
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#15 » by Rastas » Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:47 pm

With the Nets cap situation , I would use him to trade up in the draft for a lotto pick and expiring's.
His current value is high so capitalize in on it before he hurts himself again.
He is also of good value in a trade for a more needed player.
Just wish Nets could send JV out with him in any deal.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,437

Post#16 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:53 pm

Rastas wrote:With the Nets cap situation , I would use him to trade up in the draft for a lotto pick and expiring's.

He can’t currently be traded. No draft night trades.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#17 » by Tha King » Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:06 pm

I would not be surprised if he's the most sought after FA this offseason. He'd be a seamless offensive fit on not only the Pistons but the Pacers who have an offensive hub in Haliburton and need a wing. The Magic too. Like I said before, he's a fifth starter type but a team like the Pacers are in need of that and have ample cap space.

With Cam Johnson you also have to think about Clax because he's a FA next offseason and has even more in demand skillset. From a roster building perspective it might be tough to retain both with what they might get and still maintain the flexibility to go after the star(s) this roster needs. With Clax at least you can see a pathway to DPOY level and possible all star so it makes sense to do what it takes to keep but CJ is a fifth starter without much upside that could easily turn into a contract that weighs you down.

So I agree that a S&T could happen but I am not sure if that's returning any first round picks as some of these teams could simply give him fairly large contracts with the cap space they have and see what the Nets do. Something like Duarte for CJ is the type of S&T that could happen.
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#18 » by Rastas » Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:06 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Rastas wrote:With the Nets cap situation , I would use him to trade up in the draft for a lotto pick and expiring's.

He can’t currently be traded. No draft night trades.

Dayyam , next you will tell me we can't trade JV :lol:
GTR11
RealGM

Post#19 » by GTR11 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:31 pm

Tha King wrote:I would not be surprised if he's the most sought after FA this offseason. He'd be a seamless offensive fit on not only the Pistons but the Pacers who have an offensive hub in Haliburton and need a wing. The Magic too. Like I said before, he's a fifth starter type but a team like the Pacers are in need of that and have ample cap space.

With Cam Johnson you also have to think about Clax because he's a FA next offseason and has even more in demand skillset. From a roster building perspective it might be tough to retain both with what they might get and still maintain the flexibility to go after the star(s) this roster needs. With Clax at least you can see a pathway to DPOY level and possible all star so it makes sense to do what it takes to keep but CJ is a fifth starter without much upside that could easily turn into a contract that weighs you down.

So I agree that a S&T could happen but I am not sure if that's returning any first round picks as some of these teams could simply give him fairly large contracts with the cap space they have and see what the Nets do. Something like Duarte for CJ is the type of S&T that could happen.

All true but, we can match any offer being thrown at him. We just need to unload couple expirings to get enough cap space. ATL calling about DFS, Indy has interers in both CamJ and Collins. We can get 7th pick ( get BPA ) and get Saddiq Bey ( I'd love Hendricks as 7th pick ). So it'll look like this:
BK send-> CamJ, DFS and 21 with 22 pick.
BK get -> Bey and 7th pick

Indy send -> 7th pick
Indy get -> CamJ, Collins and 22 BK

ATL send -> Collins and Bey
ATL get -> DFS and 21 PHX

Trade machine say it works and imo every team gets what they want. Don't get me wrong, I like CamJ and DFS... but I will gladly flip them for Bey and Hendricks ( could be different guy, it's just Hendricks is my preference ) if chance is given. They also good cheap assets that teams will want if disgruntled 1A star becomes available.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,329

Post#20 » by Papi_swav » Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:54 pm

GTR11 wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:I definitely see him as S&T bait but Pistons don't have anything I'd want. They're not trading any of the young guys and I don't want Bogs and the other players are kinda trash. Only way I see it is if Pistons send the Nets a FRP with light protections, maybe like a top 5-6 protection. Other than that I'm good. But I can see Pistons offering him top dollar that he can't refuse so that'll play the Nets hand.

With Nic's injurie history i wouldn't dismiss opportunity getting Stewart from them. I love his motor and physicality.

He's one of the guys I'll take in a trade for Cam J but we're going to need more than just him. Maybe a 1st with Steward and another minor piece would get it done.

Return to Brooklyn Nets