Post#2 » by Papi_swav » Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:33 am

uhhh why? but i guess
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Re: WOJ: Nets sign Darius Bazley to 1 year deal 

Post#3 » by Paradise » Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:43 am

Papi_swav wrote:uhhh why? but i guess

Very high upside signing. Another slick move under the cap.
Packers+NetsWIN
Junior
And1: 75

Post#4 » by Packers+NetsWIN » Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:45 am

My guess is it seems to be in line with the them getting younger and more athletic. I'm good with the signing and I like it, although being totally honest I would have preferred Bol-Bol more
Paradise

WOJ: Nets sign Darius Bazley to 1 year deal 

Post#5 » by Paradise » Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:49 am

Packers+NetsWIN wrote:

My guess is it seems to be in line with the them getting younger and more athletic. I'm good with the signing and I like it, although being totally honest I would have preferred Bol-Bol more

Blame KD, Beal and Book for tempering. He was headed there before he got waived. Nobody has a shot to land Bol Bol.

Bazley is a very good pickup. He is still a prospect. He’s not a finished product and he fits our 3&D mold of forwards. If we can develop his shot, we are looking at a long term piece.

Read on Twitter
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#6 » by CalamityX12 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:02 am

Congratulations!
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by CalamityX12 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:48 am

Wait he's our backup 5??? F outta here lol
The ModFather

Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,070

Post#8 » by Netaman » Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:57 am

well there's the stretch big i guess. he's graded out really well defensively, hopefully last year's improved 3p% wasn't a fluke.

this is another move that would seem to me to preface a bigger consolidation move. not sure how else they'd be signing 23/24 year guys like bazley and walker if they weren't offering playing time. which is hard to imagine being there if the wings are already full with all the returning guys who have started for playoff teams Bridges, CamJ, DFS, Royce, etc.
Paradise

Post#9 » by Paradise » Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:47 am

CalamityX12 wrote:Wait he's our backup 5??? F outta here lol

Day’Ron and Clowney are our backup 5s. He’s an athletic 3/4 who can play small ball 5 off the bench or play next to Clax since he has shooting upside from 3.
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 215

Post#10 » by ChuckS » Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:19 pm

Netaman wrote:well there's the stretch big i guess. he's graded out really well defensively, hopefully last year's improved 3p% wasn't a fluke.

this is another move that would seem to me to preface a bigger consolidation move. not sure how else they'd be signing 23/24 year guys like bazley and walker if they weren't offering playing time. which is hard to imagine being there if the wings are already full with all the returning guys who have started for playoff teams Bridges, CamJ, DFS, Royce, etc.

I regret to say I agree with you. I only hope that I will be pleasantly surprised when Marks pulls another one out of the hat at the end.

I think all of our picks have been good to some degree. But two of them seem designed as low cost replacements for DFS and Royce. Let's face it though. They have been 1st round disappointments so far. I suspect concerns about the repeater tax, and cap and luxury tax in general, are in play.

Does it seem that we go through annoying themes, like "ramping up", "team culture", and now "timeline". I have an eerie, perhaps unreasonable, worry that this latter philosophy might have us shed proven starter caliber players for younger, lesser talents, keeping us perpetually in mediocrity or worse, until gaining another superstar.

And I'm all for team culture. I just think what great basketball I would have missed if this were always taken to the extreme. The greatest one man show I've ever seen in the playoffs was Rick Barry, seemingly single-handedly winning a championship. He was described, by a prominent fellow teammate, as someone who, if sent to the UN, would start World War III. He was instrumental in beating, I think, a better Bullets team, which starred Elvin Hayes. Hayes was one of my favorites since he ended UCLA's and Alcindor"s forty some game winning streak in college. A trainer said of him that he was like a water torture: just a drip at a time, nothing major, but before you know it he's driven you crazy. There must be good reason Christian Wood is still out there. But it seems to me that talent wise he would be perfect starting next to Nic. There have been, and are, other bigs I think available. I understand that with our rigid defensive principles we need to be cautious. But keep in mind what Voltaire said: "perfect is the enemy of good".

I'm sorry! I'm violating the latest credo -- patience.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#11 » by Netaman » Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:05 pm

ChuckS wrote:
Netaman wrote:well there's the stretch big i guess. he's graded out really well defensively, hopefully last year's improved 3p% wasn't a fluke.

I regret to say I agree with you. I only hope that I will be pleasantly surprised when Marks pulls another one out of the hat at the end.

I think all of our picks have been good to some degree. But two of them seem designed as low cost replacements for DFS and Royce. Let's face it though. They have been 1st round disappointments so far. I suspect concerns about the repeater tax, and cap and luxury tax in general, are in play.

Does it seem that we go through annoying themes, like "ramping up", "team culture", and now "timeline". I have an eerie, perhaps unreasonable, worry that this latter philosophy might have us shed proven starter caliber players for younger, lesser talents, keeping us perpetually in mediocrity or worse, until gaining another superstar.

And I'm all for team culture. I just think what great basketball I would have missed if this were always taken to the extreme. The greatest one man show I've ever seen in the playoffs was Rick Barry, seemingly single-handedly winning a championship. He was described, by a prominent fellow teammate, as someone who, if sent to the UN, would start World War III. He was instrumental in beating, I think, a better Bullets team, which starred Elvin Hayes. Hayes was one of my favorites since he ended UCLA's and Alcindor"s forty some game winning streak in college. A trainer said of him that he was like a water torture: just a drip at a time, nothing major, but before you know it he's driven you crazy. There must be good reason Christian Wood is still out there. But it seems to me that talent wise he would be perfect starting next to Nic. There have been, and are, other bigs I think available. I understand that with our rigid defensive principles we need to be cautious. But keep in mind what Voltaire said: "perfect is the enemy of good".

I'm sorry! I'm violating the latest credo -- patience.

a few things, if they trade royce or dfs i think at this point we know they've been diligent in trying to max out that return all offseason were patient. they didnt rush into deals just to cut salary. both were nice role players last year but that was about it, and they are 30.

players like bazley, walker, dsj arent as established but they are younger and more talented. taking chances on higher upside is what the nets should be doing now and it's exactly what they did with players dinwiddie and harris pre-big 3 (and levert when they traded thad young, who was pretty similar to dfs/royce at the time). specifically on the wing where cam and bridges are already locked in starters for the next 3-4 years respectively.

if they can continue adding more upside in return for dfs/oneale whether it's future picks or a younger player they like (like herro) i think that's the right move. in the current situation i think most of their value is intangible because the team needs more than their ability levels, so on the court i think they will just get exposed like dinwiddie did last year when too much was put on him.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by CalamityX12 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:46 pm

Paradise wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:Wait he's our backup 5??? F outta here lol

Day’Ron and Clowney are our backup 5s. He’s an athletic 3/4 who can play small ball 5 off the bench or play next to Clax since he has shooting upside from 3.

Yea about that small ball 5 spot lol...

Seen it, over it lol
The ModFather

Netaman
Analyst

Post#13 » by Netaman » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:04 pm

here's a good video of a bazley full game vs DDR and the Bulls in Feb 2022 (Bulls were 2 seed in the east the time).

the multiple man up blocks on DDR and length generating steals defending vujevic are impressive considering those are 2 guys we've seen a lot of guys on our roster struggle to defend over the last decade. definitely tools to work with if he can find some level of a reliable jump shot.

;ab_channel=OklahomaCityThunder
ChuckS
Bench Warmer

Post#14 » by ChuckS » Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:03 pm

Netaman wrote:
a few things, if they trade royce or dfs i think at this point we know they've been diligent in trying to max out that return all offseason were patient. they didnt rush into deals just to cut salary. both were nice role players last year but that was about it, and they are 30.

players like bazley, walker, dsj arent as established but they are younger and more talented. taking chances on higher upside is what the nets should be doing now and it's exactly what they did with players dinwiddie and harris pre-big 3 (and levert when they traded thad young, who was pretty similar to dfs/royce at the time). specifically on the wing where cam and bridges are already locked in starters for the next 3-4 years respectively.

if they can continue adding more upside in return for dfs/oneale whether it's future picks or a younger player they like (like herro) i think that's the right move. in the current situation i think most of their value is intangible because the team needs more than their ability levels, so on the court i think they will just get exposed like dinwiddie did last year when too much was put on him.

I'm comfortable with my paternal instincts, but came of age before the era of youth entitlement. Young ones would ride the bench and play behind veterans until whatever time it took to bypass them. If they are good, it comes eventually. I think players like Bridges, however, probably care less about the age of a teammate than the ability to help them win. And they deserve the latter, or potentially waste some relatively limited years.

I cannot say who will do what when. It just seems to me that starting role players that are in trade demand for first round picks or more would, at least in my days with the T-rexes, not be prematurely dumped, except for players of greater need. That could be what is happening here, and with Marks. If so, I am in agreement. The exception, of course, is when "tanking". But that means becoming worse. What GM would want to do that without the team's own draft pick for four years? And, as I implied, what star would want to endure that? So I question the timing for taking chances on higher upside right now. Of course it is not an either/or situation. We can do both, as this draft has shown, and if these new signees will add to a team better or equal to a team without Royce and DFS.

You make a good point about talent of newbies potentially limiting the risk. I believe Royce and DFS were undrafted successes. But, however talented, these others are players already tested in the NBA. Walker has played for five years. He has career averages of 10PPG, 2.3 Rebounds, 1.5 assists, at 42%, in 21 minutes. Per 82 games, he was a -1 versus opponents, and a minus 12 on/off court last year with the Lakers. Bazley played four years with three (edited) teams, with career averages of 9.1 points, 5.5 rebounds, at 41.1%, for 24 minutes per. 82 Games has him at a -1,4 versus opponents and a minus 4.6 on/off court with OKC. I agree they are talented and good pick ups, but am less sure of their ultimate upsides.

I will not speak much to Dinwiddie last year, because I know I'm probably in the minority. But I did not see his contributions as him being "exposed". For some reason, JV played him more minutes per game than even Bridges. And he shouldn't be embarrassed for giving us 9.1 assists vs. 2.1 turnovers. It also has been published that the team wants to keep him, if possible. So maybe he should not be blamed for a somewhat dysfunctional offense, playing with four new teammates -- particularly since it was Kokoskov who was let go.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,329

Post#15 » by Papi_swav » Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:55 pm

Paradise wrote:
Packers+NetsWIN wrote:

Blame KD, Beal and Book for tempering. He was headed there before he got waived. Nobody has a shot to land Bol Bol.

Bazley is a very good pickup. He is still a prospect. He’s not a finished product and he fits our 3&D mold of forwards. If we can develop his shot, we are looking at a long term piece.

Read on Twitter

yea I was high on him back when he got drafted he just hasn't lived up to the potential yet but hopefully he can now. I like him better than DFS
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,860

Post#16 » by Karate Diop » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:00 pm

I like the signing... There's some serious tunnel vision at times though... Athletic as hell though...
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,437

Post#17 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:52 pm

Honestly surprised that Bazley didn’t garner more interest league-wide. Not on any big contract, but with some of the monster deals handed out, legitimately taken aback he wasn’t offered a MLE-ish mutli-year deal, at least the Taxpayer’s, or BAE.

Or maybe he was and he’s betting on himself, hoping to secure a DFS type contract next summer.

What were the final details of his signing here? 1 year vet minimum?

Great under the radar signing.

There just has to be a consolidation trade at this point, be shocked if not.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#18 » by Netaman » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:03 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Honestly surprised that Bazley didn’t garner more interest league-wide. Not on any big contract, but with some of the monster deals handed out, legitimately taken aback he wasn’t offered a MLE-ish mutli-year deal, at least the Taxpayer’s, or BAE.

Or maybe he was and he’s betting on himself, hoping to secure a DFS type contract next summer.

both he and walker are minimum i think and in walkers case supposedly was offered more elsewhere (same with DSJ, supposedly charlotte offered him more to stay there but he chose to come to brooklyn for the opportunity - which makes me agree with you strongly that some of the remaining vets on the roster will be on the move).

maybe im just being wishful based on rumors but the roster is very much set up to add a 23 year old shooter/scorer who can handle the ball at the expense of veteran 3+D wing defenders. they need shooting, ball handling, and creation so im inclined the buy the rumors that they are interested in a player out there who does exactly those things.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,437

Post#19 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:44 pm

Netaman wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Honestly surprised that Bazley didn’t garner more interest league-wide. Not on any big contract, but with some of the monster deals handed out, legitimately taken aback he wasn’t offered a MLE-ish mutli-year deal, at least the Taxpayer’s, or BAE.

both he and walker are minimum i think and in walkers case supposedly was offered more elsewhere (same with DSJ, supposedly charlotte offered him more to stay there but he chose to come to brooklyn for the opportunity - which makes me agree with you strongly that some of the remaining vets on the roster will be on the move).

maybe im just being wishful based on rumors but the roster is very much set up to add a 23 year old shooter/scorer who can handle the ball at the expense of veteran 3+D wing defenders. they need shooting, ball handling, and creation so im inclined the buy the rumors that they are interested in a player out there who does exactly those things.

Yup yup.

Still wouldn’t even be totally shocked if Trae Young found his way here eventually. Though still think they’re targeting Luka, Mitchell, or Morant in the future, so maybe they don’t deal for anyone like Trae, especially at a high asset cost though.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
ChuckS
Bench Warmer

Post#20 » by ChuckS » Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:26 pm

Netaman wrote:maybe im just being wishful based on rumors but the roster is very much set up to add a 23 year old shooter/scorer who can handle the ball at the expense of veteran 3+D wing defenders. they need shooting, ball handling, and creation so im inclined the buy the rumors that they are interested in a player out there who does exactly those things.

I apologize for any obfuscation in a previous reply. But my one sentence of agreement was hidden in some rambling.

I am in agreement that Tyler Herro is a greater need than DFS and Royce, So if that is the total price for getting Herro, I have no objections. If I understand the rules correctly, however, we only need $6 Mil more than DFS. I would prefer it if we could keep Royce, by substituting any combination of three of our new hires or previously existing $2 Mil players. If not acceptable, though, it would not be a deal breaker for me to lose both. I just might suffer a little remorse not having Royce for versatile depth.

Return to Brooklyn Nets