ImageImageImageImageImage

DOESN'T IT SEEM TOO QUIET ON OUR FRONT?

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

JKiddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 327

DOESN'T IT SEEM TOO QUIET ON OUR FRONT? 

Post#1 » by JKiddy » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:44 pm

I have been a Nets fan for a very very long time.

I have noticed there is a pattern in this regime. When it gets very quiet that means something is up.

Do I think we are going to make a blockbuster trade on Monday? No. Do I think 90% of the roster will remain the same by the start of the season? Yes.

But, I do think we are currently in trade talks. It does not make sense for us to keep every single player on our current roster.

I think we might be involved in a multi-team deal where we get someone back for maybe a pick swap and RO or DFS. I think we need to capitalize on the moment this off-season and start to build a true foundation of a future winner.

I think our front office is planning a 3 year build right now. It seems like they want to build around Bridges, Claxton, and CamJo. I think they are going to see what they have in Simmons and Cam Thomas this season before making any decisions on them. It seems like they are trying to give Jalen Wilson some fraction of minutes that DFS or RO would have owned this season (once one of both are traded).

What do you guys think is happening?
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,478

Re: DOESN'T IT SEEM TOO QUIET ON OUR FRONT? 

Post#2 » by Stone » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:47 pm

Wild guess........We make a move for Karl Anthony Towns. They just resigned Naz Reed to a three year deal. They already got Rudy. I would no problem believing the Wolves are ready to move on from KAT.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#3 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:59 pm

Stone wrote:Wild guess........We make a move for Karl Anthony Towns. They just resigned Naz Reed to a three year deal. They already got Rudy. I would no problem believing the Wolves are ready to move on from KAT.

Yeah i think this is one move we might attempt. I think Minny is one team who might value Simmons' on court impact enough to agree to acquire him. And we would need to send him out in order to feasibly acquire him. KAT is a Jersey guy, he's friends with Mikal and despite his reputation as a choker, I think he's quality. His contract looks rough, but I'd rather have him under contract for 4 more years than trade serious assets for someone like Siakam, who could walk for free next summer.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,437

Post#4 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:25 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:
Stone wrote:Wild guess........We make a move for Karl Anthony Towns. They just resigned Naz Reed to a three year deal. They already got Rudy. I would no problem believing the Wolves are ready to move on from KAT.

Yeah i think this is one move we might attempt. I think Minny is one team who might value Simmons' on court impact enough to agree to acquire him. And we would need to send him out in order to feasibly acquire him. KAT is a Jersey guy, he's friends with Mikal and despite his reputation as a choker, I think he's quality. His contract looks rough, but I'd rather have him under contract for 4 more years than trade serious assets for someone like Siakam, who could walk for free next summer.

Don’t know how to feel about KAT.

He needs to play center, but he’s a mediocre defender.

Can’t play extended minutes next to Clax.

On paper he looks like an offensive juggernaut and great passer, but he’s something of a blackhole.

He’s young, but he’s severely expensive.

He’ll probably cost some real assets to bring in.

He runs his mouth like an all time great, but he’s not even a current All NBA player.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 968

Post#5 » by Decipher » Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:08 am

KAT was bad in the playoffs and there’s nothing to suggest that he & Gobert can work together

However, sounds like Minny want to see more before moving KAT on for some assets

They should but I don’t see it happening for a while yet
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,329

Post#6 » by Papi_swav » Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:40 pm

Na it's the middle of the summer, things around the whole NBA are quiet. Most of these guys are probably on vacations with their families at this time.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,838

Post#7 » by sashaturiaf » Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:01 pm

I hope not

KAT is an extremely hard guy to root for.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#8 » by CalamityX12 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:04 pm

sashaturiaf wrote:I hope not

KAT is an extremely hard guy to root for.

Really don't like his on court attitude to teammates

Ain't the best decision maker either

He'd be our Randle but softer
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
haosmoove
Junior
And1: 221

Post#9 » by haosmoove » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:40 pm

Wolves are not ready to move on from gobert KAT experiment yet. KAT was hurt for most of last seasons, they definitely like to see how it play out.

If that experiment fails, I suspect it will be (lack of) offense related. KATs quickness against center is nullified against wings, and he doesn't have room to post enough due to spacing issues with Gobert. Wolves was among the top defense and bottom offense last season. I doubt KAT's presence lowers them much if at all on d, and carries them enough on offense to be better than middle of the pack.

So either KAT excels and Wolves keep him, or he doesn't fit and they put him on the block. However, the question is, if KAT doesn't work with goberts, what makes him work with Claxton? We may have to settle for KAT as our center. In current NBA, it's debatable if he contributes more to winning than defensive big like Claxton. Problem is we have to pay a lot to find out.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,071

Post#10 » by Netaman » Tue Aug 1, 2023 2:55 am

shams reported the heat are preparing an offer for portland, im gonna believe the nets are the 3rd team getting herro until a different 3rd team gets herro.

Read on Twitter
JKiddy
Bench Warmer

Post#11 » by JKiddy » Tue Aug 8, 2023 11:42 pm

Where do you think we land within this trade? Do we get an anxiliary piece from MIA?
Netaman
Analyst

Post#12 » by Netaman » Wed Aug 9, 2023 12:30 am

JKiddy wrote:Where do you think we land within this trade? Do we get an anxiliary piece from MIA?

until he goes to another team, i think we get herro for some combo of weak picks/players that help facilitate the deal with portland.

it has been reported from reputable nets beats from day 1 they reached out to miami about herro, it was reported from the reputable heat beats that miami was engaging with the nets on herro because they had value to offer.

it also benefitted the heat to keep the nets as far from considering a lillard pursuit as possible since that was clearly a team portland could have tried to leverage if nothing else. giving them easy access to a younger player they liked as part of their pursuit of lillard makes a lot more sense than getting a similar offer elsewhere and pushing the nets/portland into each others arms as a compromise solution.

last summer i thought phoenix/kd made too much sense not to happen and i think similarly lillard to miami makes too much sense not to happen. if anything both of those teams have even fewer alternatives than the nets/suns had last year.
JKiddy
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by JKiddy » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:24 pm

Do you think we give up RO or DFS + a pick swap and get back Herro and 2nds or a heavily protected future 1st from Miami?
Netaman
Analyst

Post#14 » by Netaman » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:43 pm

JKiddy wrote:Do you think we give up RO or DFS + a pick swap and get back Herro and 2nds or a heavily protected future 1st from Miami?

that would be my guess. for salary matching there are basically 3 choices:

1) royce + dfs (24m)
2) dinwiddie (20m)
3) simmons (38m)

royce and dfs seem like the most obvious choices since they have historically been starting players and they dont seem to have starting spots on this roster anymore. dinwiddie and simmons are likely the starting guards, bridges, cam j, claxton are clearly starters.

royce and dfs are the last 2 older vets who stand out as odd fits for a team transitioning to the future. and they are pretty easy to move contracts likely with some positive draft pick value, which may be most of what the nets use to get herro.
JKiddy
Bench Warmer

Post#15 » by JKiddy » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:16 pm

It seems like Herro knows he will be traded. I wonder what is happening now. I guess they are quietly discussing the details.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#16 » by 3pt_chucker » Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:14 pm

Still not interested in giving up anything more than a protected pick for Herro.

I don't think he moves the needle that much, given what the team currently has. Rather keep assets to trade for something better + trading Din/DFS/Royce for future assets.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#17 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:55 pm

Portland wants expiring contracts, so unless we recruit a 4th team, any deal for Herro coming to Brooklyn would mean Spencer leaving. Dinwiddie is better than Tyler right now, and I want us to be good this season. Plus, MIA expects any team taking Herro to flip more than a 1st to POR. I would rather keep the 1st, and the better player.

Herro will of course be better than Spencer in a few years, he's much younger and has a bright future. But by then, Cam Thomas might be that dude. It makes little sense to me to worsen our present roster AND block our potential in the future. If we didn't already have a quality lead guard prospect, or if the guard were trading for were unquestionably better than Dinwiddie right now, then I would feel differently.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,437

Post#18 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:19 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:Dinwiddie is better than Tyler right now.

I like Spencer a lot and he is an average or so starter, but I don’t know that I can agree with the above.

And even if, it’s fractions of an inch.

Idk why we keep pretending he’s prime Conley or Lowry.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#19 » by Netaman » Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:11 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:Portland wants expiring contracts, so unless we recruit a 4th team, any deal for Herro coming to Brooklyn would mean Spencer leaving. Dinwiddie is better than Tyler right now, and I want us to be good this season. Plus, MIA expects any team taking Herro to flip more than a 1st to POR. I would rather keep the 1st, and the better player.

Herro will of course be better than Spencer in a few years, he's much younger and has a bright future. But by then, Cam Thomas might be that dude. It makes little sense to me to worsen our present roster AND block our potential in the future. If we didn't already have a quality lead guard prospect, or if the guard were trading for were unquestionably better than Dinwiddie right now, then I would feel differently.

portland can get all expirings. something like this i think makes sense for all parties involved. the philly pin gets spun as a good pick but it's most likely a bottom half pick and if philly is really bad then it probably never conveys.

Netaman
Analyst

Post#20 » by Netaman » Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:19 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:Dinwiddie is better than Tyler right now.

I like Spencer a lot and he is an average or so starter, but I don’t know that I can agree with the above.

And even if, it’s fractions of an inch.

Idk why we keep pretending he’s prime Conley or Lowry.

amen. dinwiddie has only had good shooting seasons as the 3rd/4th/5th option on a team with luka. we saw what happened when he was the #2 option again and it wasnt pretty.

and i like dinwiddie, i wouldnt be opposed to extending him in the right type of 3rd/4th/5th scorer role like he played in dallas. herro is just an objectively more talented scorer who helps push dinwiddie down into that better role, and he also happens to be 7 years younger.

Return to Brooklyn Nets