ImageImageImageImageImage

Preseason - Game 1 - Nets vs. Lakers

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,870

Preseason - Game 1 - Nets vs. Lakers 

Post#1 » by Karate Diop » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:50 am

The standard caveat of this being preseason applies... But Ben looked great in that first quarter. Just loving much more fluidly and assertively than last year.

Other things standing out:

- Cam Thomas has been making better decisions with the ball.
- This drop defense scheme is going to lead to a lot of opponent threes early on.

(Am I the only one watching this lol?)
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,921

Re: Preseason - Game 1 - Nets vs. Lakers 

Post#2 » by Rich Rane » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:03 am

Working, but Ben Simmons actually looks like he's moving well and is aggressive on the offensive end.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#3 » by 3pt_chucker » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:23 am

Ben definitely looks much healthier than last season.

Can't over react to preseason but 75pts at half when the team is supposed to be built on defense can't go into the season
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,921

Post#4 » by Rich Rane » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:24 am

3pt_chucker wrote:Ben definitely looks much healthier than last season.

Can't over react to preseason but 75pts at half when the team is supposed to be built on defense can't go into the season

You said it yourself. It's preseason. Almost nothing to really learn other than guys on the bubble trying to make the squad.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,437

Post#5 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:36 am

Just can’t get with Cam T’s game as a starter, he just takes everyone else out of rhythm.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Karate Diop
General Manager

Post#6 » by Karate Diop » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:36 am

I'm not concerned about the defense other than the fact that it looks like none of the perimeter guys have any idea how to play drop coverage :lol:
3pt_chucker
Head Coach

Post#7 » by 3pt_chucker » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:52 am

Karate Diop wrote:I'm not concerned about the defense other than the fact that it looks like none of the perimeter guys have any idea how to play drop coverage :lol:

That's what is worrying me.

I also feel like drop coverage should be player dependent and playing it to accommodate mins for Day'Ron Sharpe is kinda insane lmao
Eatgreenz
Senior
And1: 315

Post#8 » by Eatgreenz » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:15 am

There will be a Ben Revenge Tour this season
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,329

Post#9 » by Papi_swav » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:51 am

Simmons look springy and loose, he looks good honestly. He might actually redeem himself this season. I like that Cam was in the starting lineup, it seems like he's going to get some real minutes this year, he can be a difference maker with his elite scoring. Watford looks like he has some game in him. I wanted to see Whitehead
3pt_chucker
Head Coach

Post#10 » by 3pt_chucker » Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:26 am

If Cam Thomas doesn't start this season, I'll be incredibly disappointed.

Last season I was infuriated when they wasted time playing Curry and Mills as if there was any really value in playing them. I hope this team won't waste another season to figure out what Cam Thomas is. Atp I feel like they want to hide him so that he doesn't get a huge 2nd contract :lol:

This team has zero chance at playoff success baring a trade. We already know what Dinwiddie is. He can play big mins as a 6th man.

Ben
CamT
Mikal
CamJ
Clax

This lineup better get tons of minutes.
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Post#11 » by Sharcm1 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:23 am

I was hoping to see different offensive sets than we have for years. But nope. Hopefully it’s just one game. This team will have trouble scoring this season except for one guy.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#12 » by Keith Van Horn » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:26 pm

Didn't get to watch outside of a few minutes at the start bc of MNF... how'd it go?

Sounds like Ben looked more relaxed, confident, and healthier? Any further takes here?

And it seems like Cam was cooking... and I saw he started the game? To me that's a good sign he's amended things with JV. But who knows if we should be reading too much into that. I just know we're all so divided on the guy, either they need to fully commit to him or move on for other players/picks.

Other than that, I agree that these preseason games are mostly to get the rust off and see which bubble guys are worthy of rostering or getting some minutes... So I won't put a lot of stock into final scores or even general box score stats.
Karate Diop
General Manager

Post#13 » by Karate Diop » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:32 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:Didn't get to watch outside of a few minutes at the start bc of MNF... how'd it go?

Sounds like Ben looked more relaxed, confident, and healthier? Any further takes here?

And it seems like Cam was cooking... and I saw he started the game? To me that's a good sign he's amended things with JV. But who knows if we should be reading too much into that. I just know we're all so divided on the guy, either they need to fully commit to him or move on for other players/picks.

Other than that, I agree that these preseason games are mostly to get the rust off and see which bubble guys are worthy of rostering or getting some minutes... So I won't put a lot of stock into final scores or even general box score stats.

Ben wasn't 100% Philly Ben in terms of fluidity, but his mental approach was sooooo much better than last year. You could tell he actually wanted to score and wasn't running away from the ball. There was still some tentativeness but hard to read too much onto it since it is preseason at the end of the day.

Cam started the game as more of a facilitator but went into microwave mode when the other starters were pulled and he was with the bench. He lost his defensive focus as the game progressed.
Karate Diop
General Manager

Post#14 » by Karate Diop » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:39 pm

Also Ben took a jumper! (You can guess the results... But after last year I'll take the baby steps :lol:)
3pt_chucker
Head Coach

Post#15 » by 3pt_chucker » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:40 pm

Sharcm1 wrote:I was hoping to see different offensive sets than we have for years. But nope. Hopefully it’s just one game. This team will have trouble scoring this season except for one guy.

Yeah offense was just iso and the same old an tired dho-pnr stuff.

Won't hold my breath that it will be better in the regular season, but yeah let's see what happens.

Return to Brooklyn Nets