GT: Nets @ Dallas Mavs 8:30 EST - 10/27

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,860

Re: GT: Nets @ Dallas Mavs 8:30 EST - 10/27 

Post#21 » by Karate Diop » Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:59 am

Rich Rane wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:Luka is just nasty... Couldn't have defended that any better...

Refs made more mistakes the last several minutes than the Nets defense.

They did, but I think the Cavaliers game was worse.

That was one that shouldn't have gotten away. Luka was a flamethrower from beyond the arc to close this one out... Some people have seemingly knocked him out of their top tier of players but I have him up there with anybody.

Sucks to be 0-2, but at least the games were competitive, and we haven't even seen a vintage Bridges scoring binge yet.

It's also easy to forget we were down Claxton in this one...
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#22 » by TheNetsFan » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:05 am

Rich Rane wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:Luka is just nasty... Couldn't have defended that any better...

I get the save your challenge for truly critical situations, but there were a few opportunities where a challenge probably takes a couple points off the board. We're not good enough to pass that up.

Also, with Luka that hot late, I would try to get Ben's height in front of him.

Finally, I don't love the forced 3 by Cam down 3. Take an easy quick 2 and play the foul game.
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Post#23 » by Sharcm1 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:08 am

2:19 left in the game the nets were up 118 to 113 and JV takes cam out and outs in Simmons. Nets don’t score for another min plus of game time when he finally puts cam back into the at the 1:09 mark. And it’s cam that scores at the 50 sec mark. Why take him out in the first place. He did it last game also. No reason to do offense defense there. That’s where the game changed and the nets lost.
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,247

Post#24 » by Marvin Martian » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:10 am

Karate Diop wrote:Not a great shot by Cam... But I like that the team is at least embracing his scoring prowess and giving him a chance to grow.

There might actually be something here...

The Nets always embraced Thomas' scoring. The problem was whether Thomas would embrace a team game. He did a better job this time than against CLE.
Karate Diop
General Manager

Post#25 » by Karate Diop » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:13 am

TheNetsFan wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

I get the save your challenge for truly critical situations, but there were a few opportunities where a challenge probably takes a couple points off the board. We're not good enough to pass that up.

Also, with Luka that hot late, I would try to get Ben's height in front of him.

Finally, I don't love the forced 3 by Cam down 3. Take an easy quick 2 and play the foul game.

That's one of my pet peeves, down 3 in a close game players always tend to go for 3 now rather than the quick / easier 2 and foul game...
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,329

Post#26 » by Papi_swav » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:15 am

The officiating was HORRIBLE !!! omg that lady referee needs to be banned sheeshh. Luka is great, he shouldn't need help from any zebras. As great as luka is he's been the most annoying star player, literally cries after every play literally, just play ball dude.

Anyway, why didn't CamJ and Claxton play? it's the 2nd game and we're already load managing? CamT looks like he's going to be an all star this year. We have no offensive game plan, just screen and throw up 3s. Shots were falling tonight but on games when we're off it's going to get really ugly.
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#27 » by NetsJets » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:17 am

That foul on Dinwiddie on Green late was a huge call. This team doesn’t know how to close.
Karate Diop
General Manager

Post#28 » by Karate Diop » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:18 am

NetsJets wrote:That foul on Dinwiddie on Green late was a huge call. This team doesn’t know how to close.

Not sure if I'm thinking of the same one, but wasn't that the minimal contact one?
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,247

Post#29 » by Marvin Martian » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:22 am

I am done with Simmons BTW. People here made excuses for his subpar offense last season due to injury. Here he is finally "healthy", and nothing has changed. This should have been the game where he proves everyone wrong and he shows up with 10 points
NetsJets
Starter

Post#30 » by NetsJets » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:32 am

Karate Diop wrote:
NetsJets wrote:That foul on Dinwiddie on Green late was a huge call. This team doesn’t know how to close.

Not sure if I'm thinking of the same one, but wasn't that the minimal contact one?

It happened late in the 4th quarter. It looked like Green initiated the contact.
NetsJets
Starter

Post#31 » by NetsJets » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:33 am

Marvin Martian wrote:I am done with Simmons BTW. People here made excuses for his subpar offense last season due to injury. Here he is finally "healthy", and nothing has changed. This should have been the game where he proves everyone wrong and he shows up with 10 points

The bar is low for Simmons. That’s why people thinks that he’s “impacting the game”.
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 968

Post#32 » by Decipher » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:54 am

NetsJets wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:I am done with Simmons BTW. People here made excuses for his subpar offense last season due to injury. Here he is finally "healthy", and nothing has changed. This should have been the game where he proves everyone wrong and he shows up with 10 points

The bar is low for Simmons. That’s why people thinks that he’s “impacting the game”.

lol

The offense has no direction when he sits and he’s the team’s best defender and rebounder by a street
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,187

Post#33 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:37 am

Decipher wrote:
NetsJets wrote:

lol

The offense has no direction when he sits and he’s the team’s best defender and rebounder by a street

I think Ben was all right this game , more of what i expected from him early in the season compared to Cavs game

Really can’t fault anybody for this game , maybe I expect little more creativity from Mikal , he have tendencies to disappear for the stretches

Luka last 3 was a prayer shot , solid defense, yes I know he hit lots of those but still
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,187

Post#34 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:44 am

10 points 8 assists 10 rebounds

What did you expect from Ben , 50 piece game lol ?

Lower your expectations , Simmons sucked in Cavs game , this time he was solid and involved whole game and it’s only game 2 out of 82 at the minimum

I liked what I saw , all beside Lukas prayer threes
NetsJets
Starter

Post#35 » by NetsJets » Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:38 am

Decipher wrote:
NetsJets wrote:

lol

None of this is true unless there’s another Ben Simmons you’re speaking of.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#36 » by 3pt_chucker » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:10 pm

Hate to sound like a broken record but I've said on here before, it doesn't matter the talent on the roster, this team will be limited by the coaching. This team comes in with a coaching disadvantage pretty much every game. JV's coaching record once he didn't have KD to fix all his mistakes, is .300!! That's bottom 10 all time min 200 games coached...

Hope y'all ready for a horrible start. I'm predicting a 1-9. Let's see if I'm right(hopefully not)
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,070

Post#37 » by Netaman » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:58 pm

Game 1 loss to cleveland was a blown win by coaching but this one was just getting beat by a great player and a bad whistle on the road. If they would have pulled that one out it would have been a minor miracle. Especially without 2 starters.

even though they are 0-2 and underwhelmed in some of the expected ways, namely that good offense beats good defense and not great coaching in game 1, i think there have been more positives than i expected:

1. they've been highly competitive against 2 playoff teams - if they play hard like this vs the 10 or so teams that aren't playoff teams they will end up close to .500 even before they find a way to pull a few of these games out.

2. the depth has showed up far better than last year's group post-deadline bc the roster fits better (which i wasnt sure about). they didnt miss a beat without Cam J and Claxton because DFS and Walker were good. Sharpe has improved. Royce is still a good role player. this is probably the biggest development so far, other than missing a lead scorer in crunch time the roster seems to fit.

3. Simmons and Cam T are both off to good starts. That should be the starting backcourt for the foreseeable future - and if it clicks that backcourt is a huge upgrade vs what they had post-deadline last year. Cam T still needs to find a way to not be so iso heavy and keep the ball moving better, especially end of game, but those situations are new to him. He is clearly showing he can be the leading scorer on this team with Bridges in a more comfortable secondary role. Simmons is playing good defense and pushing the offense. He has to continue to get more aggressive, but that's also something that will take time since it's been 2+ years doing it in real game situations. Very excited to see where this backcourt goes in the next 2-4 weeks. Simmons is averaging 7/10/8.5 with 1+ steal/block. Cam averaging 33/5/2 while not shooting well from 3 (33%) and only 1 turnover in 2 games.

with the 2 teams they had to start and bridges not shooting well in either game (overall 41%/33%) we all would have expected to go 0-2. i see more positives than i would have guessed for an 0-2 start.

they entered the season expecting the 3 best players on the team to be Bridges, Cam J, and Claxton. 2 of them missed yesterday's game and Bridges has shown some rust. hopefully the 3 of them can get going as the new backcourt also finds it's way.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,965

Post#38 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:44 pm

Without Cam we seem to have no legitimate offense. IDK what happened to Bridges but he does not like the all star caliber player he was last year at all.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,070

Post#39 » by Netaman » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:03 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Without Cam we seem to have no legitimate offense. IDK what happened to Bridges but he does not like the all star caliber player he was last year at all.

not rocket science if you shoot a lower percentage you score less.

his career 2p% is .572 he's at .45, his 3pt is .376 he's at .333. it's 2 games and roughly the difference of 3 or 4 shots going down that didn't. yesterday he was pissed at himself when he blew a layup and had a 3 that went around and out.

Dangun
Pro Prospect
And1: 263

Post#40 » by Dangun » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:26 am

Sharcm1 wrote:2:19 left in the game the nets were up 118 to 113 and JV takes cam out and outs in Simmons. Nets don’t score for another min plus of game time when he finally puts cam back into the at the 1:09 mark. And it’s cam that scores at the 50 sec mark. Why take him out in the first place. He did it last game also. No reason to do offense defense there. That’s where the game changed and the nets lost.

Yea JV really need to stop overthinking.. enough with these bs last min subs with Thomas.. is he gonna do the same bs subs if it were Kyrie or harden out there ? No, he’s not so enough with these bs subs.. sh*t ain’t even work smh

Return to Brooklyn Nets