ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Nets @ Heat 11/16 7:30 PM EST. Keep rollin

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Re: GT: Nets @ Heat 11/16 7:30 PM EST. Keep rollin 

Post#81 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:14 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:It feels like 50%+ of the possessions go to the last 3 seconds of the shot clock all game.

A lot, maybe most of that, falls on Dinwiddie. He pounds it and take a late shot or makes a late pass for a rushed shot. It makes his assist to turnover ratio look great, but this team needs to get into early offense.
Dangun
Pro Prospect
And1: 263

Post#82 » by Dangun » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:17 am

3pt_chucker wrote:Oh, also hope everyone has given up on this team to be good defensively despite having multiple good defenders.

Oh also the offense looks EXACTLY the same as post KD trade. Wait it looks worse cuz Mikal is getting 0 elbow touches.

Happy that the "need an off season" excuse has gone away. Everything is as clear as day. Bottom 5 coaching. Better than Nash (all time bad) but still trash.

3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#83 » by 3pt_chucker » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:27 am

TheNetsFan wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:It feels like 50%+ of the possessions go to the last 3 seconds of the shot clock all game.

A lot, maybe most of that, falls on Dinwiddie. He pounds it and take a late shot or makes a late pass for a rushed shot. It makes his assist to turnover ratio look great, but this team needs to get into early offense.

Why are we blaming Dinwiddie as if this is not by design?

This is what the "offense" is supposed to look like.
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,246

Post#84 » by Marvin Martian » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:30 am

Royce O'Neale has been awful. A team worst -22. JV loves inserting him in small ball lineups, but he isn't good enough on either end of the floor.

He should be traded for a backup big man
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,246

Post#85 » by Marvin Martian » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:37 am

3pt_chucker wrote:Oh, also hope everyone has given up on this team to be good defensively despite having multiple good defenders.

Oh also the offense looks EXACTLY the same as post KD trade. Wait it looks worse cuz Mikal is getting 0 elbow touches.

Happy that the "need an off season" excuse has gone away. Everything is as clear as day. Bottom 5 coaching. Better than Nash (all time bad) but still trash.

The problem is that aside from Bridges and DFS, the rest of our good defenders have offensive limitations (Claxton, DSJ, Simmons), and JV seems to favor offense over defense so this team is a lock to be bottom 10 defensively
JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

Post#86 » by JoseRizal » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:39 am

Mikal's scoring performance vs. last season is day and night.

2022-23 - 27 games, 26.1ppg (18.6 attempts) on 48%/38%/89% splits. 6.6 FTA's & 1.8 turnovers.

2023-24 - 12 games, 20.3ppg (16.6 attempts) on 45%/30%/84% splits. 4.3 FTA's & 2.5 turnovers.

He needs to improve his efficiency and turnovers. He also needs to increase his FTA's
3pt_chucker
Head Coach

Post#87 » by 3pt_chucker » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:59 am

Marvin Martian wrote:

The problem is that aside from Bridges and DFS, the rest of our good defenders have offensive limitations (Claxton, DSJ, Simmons), and JV seems to favor offense over defense so this team is a lock to be bottom 10 defensively

THe same JV that said this team is built on defense? LOL
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,860

Post#88 » by Karate Diop » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:16 am

JoseRizal wrote:Mikal's scoring performance vs. last season is day and night.

2022-23 - 27 games, 26.1ppg (18.6 attempts) on 48%/38%/89% splits. 6.6 FTA's & 1.8 turnovers.

2023-24 - 12 games, 20.3ppg (16.6 attempts) on 45%/30%/84% splits. 4.3 FTA's & 2.5 turnovers.

He needs to improve his efficiency and turnovers. He also needs to increase his FTA's

The big dropoff is the three-point shooting, which is abnormally low right now.

Would like to see more aggression out of him though, he deferred too willingly to Cam early on.
JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

Post#89 » by JoseRizal » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:24 am

Karate Diop wrote:

Would like to see more aggression out of him though, he deferred too willingly to Cam early on.

To me what sticks out is his turn overs. He has lesser attempts (due to him deferring to Cam T), but his TOs increased by 40%. He tends to be sloppier with the ball with his iso attempts. JV needs to start setting him up with plays rather than allow him to create for himself, which is not ideal due to his offensive limitations.
Luke Skywalker
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#90 » by Luke Skywalker » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:46 am

JoseRizal wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:

To me what sticks out is his turn overs. He has lesser attempts (due to him deferring to Cam T), but his TOs increased by 40%. He tends to be sloppier with the ball with his iso attempts. JV needs to start setting him up with plays rather than allow him to create for himself, which is not ideal due to his offensive limitations.

Yeah, bridges is simply not a playmaker, and he will probably never be one. IMO, he is just a good gun like CamJ.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#91 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:58 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:

No it's not. When Cam T and Ben are playing, you see the team trying to get into sets and attack much quicker. Dinwiddie does not pressure defenses consistently enough. He's indecisive and too turnover averse to be the primary PG.
Minnamaker
Sophomore
And1: 100

Post#92 » by Minnamaker » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:01 pm

This was the worst 4th quarter defense I have ever seen. If Miami would not have missed like 10 wide open threes, this would have been a 25+ point blowout. Whatever jv was thinking trapping fullcourt. It clearly does not work or was executed like trash.
Also not having Simmons hurts against Butler.

I'm not mad. Heat were to physical and as bad as Simmons looks sometimes he is important for our pace. We were due to a tough night offensively without Simmons and Thomas.

Just please don't ever play defense like that 4th quarter no more
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,177

Post#93 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:00 pm

Dangun wrote:Tune in tomorrow when the team formally known as the NJ Nets turn Heat 6 game W streak mojo into their own giving Miami the origin of their L streak

Hollywood Nets
VS
Wolfpac Heat

Injury Report

Nets
Ben Simmons
Cam Thomas

Heat
RJ Hampton
Tyler Herro

3 for III

Let’s pretend yesterday didn’t happen , you still on winning streak mate :lol:
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant

Post#94 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:06 pm

I’m trying to find worst 4 HC in the league than Vaughn and I’m having trouble with it

Like I said even last year , Vaughn is bearded Nash , only upside is he might be better motivator ( Nash was flat even in this department)
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant

Post#95 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:17 pm

JoseRizal wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:

Bridges is not an ISO player, last year was a fluke because teams didn’t game plan for him after the trade, he is not A2 or B1 type of a player , like you said he needs to be set and occasionally create or drive when opportunities are there , setting him up for an ISO it’s a failure, he is not that
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:23 pm

Karate Diop wrote:

More aggression means more turnovers, he is not what most pretend here he is
3pt_chucker
Head Coach

Post#97 » by 3pt_chucker » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:25 pm

ArksNetsSince99 wrote:
JoseRizal wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:

Bridges is not an ISO player, last year was a fluke because teams didn’t game plan for him after the trade, he is not A2 or B1 type of a player , like you said he needs to be set and occasionally create or drive when opportunities are there , setting him up for an ISO it’s a failure, he is not that

Thank you. Blows my mind how people can't recognize this.
Minnamaker
Sophomore
And1: 100

Post#98 » by Minnamaker » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:43 pm

Hopefully Nets - Fans start appreciate Bridges for who he is again, and not being sad because he's not the player many thought he will be.

He does not have the height a KD/future wemby has to shoot over anybody. He does not have the quickness and handles smaller guards like steph and Kyrie have. He does not have the physics and strength Lebron, kawhi, Butler, giannis etc have. I don't think he is meant to be a #1 Option.

He is a top tier defender with great basketball IQ, a team first player, an iron man, a great off ball player and a good #3 option, maybe even #2. IMO this is awesome. Play him to his strength and enjoy the good vibes
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 215

Post#99 » by ChuckS » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:07 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
3pt_chucker wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:A lot, maybe most of that, falls on Dinwiddie. He pounds it and take a late shot or makes a late pass for a rushed shot. It makes his assist to turnover ratio look great, but this team needs to get into early offense.

No it's not. When Cam T and Ben are playing, you see the team trying to get into sets and attack much quicker. Dinwiddie does not pressure defenses consistently enough. He's indecisive and too turnover averse to be the primary PG.

Great post in three sentences. I wish I could do that.

I'm not sure about the indecisiveness, but I have seen what you term "turnover averse". I always believed it to be a plus, and would be in a real motion offense. We are loaded with 3 and D players used to playing with superstars. Last year after KD everyone would go to their favorite spots, but no defender was leaving them to double or cheat. As a result Spencer would indeed pound the ball while no one was cutting or attempting to run off screens. Eventually someone would come out as an outlet, then immediately throw the ball back to Dinwiddie and he had to shoot or force penetration. It's better this year, but maybe it is a flaw. I definitely think he's forgoing a strength in not going to the rim, this year. For some reason he seems to be limiting himself to threes. I'm just not sure if it is him, by offensive design or mandate, or our early starter absences and constantly different new contributors.

But I agree he will not throw a pass with a defender in front of an immobile offensive player. Now that you see the same thing, I'm just not sure if it is a blessing or a curse. I do, however, think he helped our previous turnover problems (this last game not being an example of such, though).
MaxZaslofskyJr
Rookie
And1: 671
Location: Teaneck, Long Island, Piscataway, Meadowlands, Newark, Brooklyn

Post#100 » by MaxZaslofskyJr » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:58 pm

re: Bridges
Better at Guard? Forward? Doesn't matter?
Les Selvage pioneered today's "modern basketball" in 1967.

Return to Brooklyn Nets