ImageImageImageImageImage

How much will Claxton sign for and who with?

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,750

How much will Claxton sign for and who with? 

Post#1 » by Skybox » Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:29 am

Claxton is very limited and plays a position that has become less glamorized as of late (outside of the two MVP finalists). Claxton only does a few things and he's kind of undersized.

But...he plays defense REALLY well. Really well.

How much will a guy like that command for his next salary and will the Nets pay to keep him?

He's not a good pairing with Simmons -but has Simmons become a non-factor in BRK's decisions (other than his cap hold)?

**I'd love him in ORL next to Paolo & Franz, doing just a few things...but doing them very well.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Re: How much will Claxton sign for and who with? 

Post#2 » by Tha King » Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:54 am

Claxton is limited offensively but is elite defensively. All things considered the impact was all star level last year on every advanced metric.

Looking forward, I doubt Simmons is any consideration with Claxton, who is obviously the more valuable player to Brooklyn. The considerations would be type of contract and where he fits directionally.

He's only played a few games so far this season but he doesn't look improved offensively at all. If his mediocre FT% keeps up and there's no discernable improvement offensively, I wonder if he's looking at a Allen/Poeltl type of contract vs. Cam Johnson? Then he's a no brainer keeper and you hope that's 5yrs. If it's the latter (or more)....

I am not really sure where he fits in the long term plan (tbh you can say that about the entire roster). He's young enough and good enough to be part of any timeline, but again, he hasn't really shown much of an improvement offensively so far, so he projects as a defensive role player. This is a middling team at this point and if max cap space in a couple years is an objective, trading him for some assets instead of retaining a defensive role player on an expensive deal could happen.

So, I think Claxton could get traded this season. If he's still on the team beyond the trade deadline then I see Brooklyn doing everything it can to keep him.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,329

Post#3 » by Papi_swav » Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:10 pm

He'll get the max and we'll resign him
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,437

Post#4 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:28 pm

I think he might get traded as part of a package for KAT or Zion.

Not saying I want that to happen, but he might be the main piece aside from picks for one of them.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#5 » by ecuhus1981 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:55 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:I think he might get traded as part of a package for KAT or Zion.

Not saying I want that to happen, but he might be the main piece aside from picks for one of them.

Yeah, I'm not thrilled about this, but I see this as a likely possibility as well
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,750

Post#6 » by Skybox » Fri Dec 1, 2023 2:59 pm

How about something around Wendell Carter (2 more seasons at $13m) for About-to-be UFA Claxton?

Claxton is a defense-only purist while WCJ is good at everything (not elite). He can step out and hit 3’s, pass, rebound, PnR, defend. I think Claxton might have slightly higher value, in a vacuum, but both might be better fits on the other team. WCJ is on amazing team-friendly deal, is still young and versatile enough to grow with BRK’s young core of wings, and would save BRK from overpaying for a questionable fitting C. WCJ is a very intelligent player whose diverse skillset make him a solid big who could play 4 or 5 with any kind of lineup.

I wouldn’t plan for Simmons’ renaissance, but if he somehow regained his All-NBA form, WCJ is a far more complementary fit as he’s a significantly better shooter than Claxton.

I don’t really know Claxton’s intentions (or BRK’s), but he’s a flight risk this summer or, maybe at least a dangerous bidding war that could result in an overpay. I’m just enamored with his fit next to a burlier Paolo and thought BRK might want to explore options. If BRK plans to pursue a FA PG, WCJ provides a more sensible deal for a C, to free more cash. Some ORL fans might say “ why offer ORL’s best trade chip when we’ll have plenty of cap and an attractive role to offer in summer?”…plus, ORL could trade for him and watch him leave as a UFA if he’s another Laker fanboy (or wherever).

Thoughts from BRK perspective?
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,860

Post#7 » by Karate Diop » Sun Dec 3, 2023 1:47 am

His range is limited but otherwise he's not limited offensively... Claxton's touch around the rim is elite. He's not just scoring on dunks and put backs, you won't run an offense through him but his ability to put the ball on the deck and attack the basket shouldn't be written off.
Mosdefinition
Senior
And1: 116

Post#8 » by Mosdefinition » Sun Dec 3, 2023 6:33 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:I think he might get traded as part of a package for KAT or Zion.

They can't trade him for kat if Simmons is on the team but at this point Simmons is probably gone in a trade next year anyway

Zion on this team is intriguing just based on the talent alone when he plays
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#9 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Dec 4, 2023 2:44 am

Mosdefinition wrote:

They can't trade him for kat if Simmons is on the team but at this point Simmons is probably gone in a trade next year anyway

They did away with that rule in the new CBA. It doesn't make a ton of sense to deal Claxton in a KAT deal though. They should be good compliments, and Claxton doesn't fit with Gobert.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,329

Post#10 » by Papi_swav » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:16 am

TheNetsFan wrote:
Mosdefinition wrote:

They did away with that rule in the new CBA. It doesn't make a ton of sense to deal Claxton in a KAT deal though. They should be good compliments, and Claxton doesn't fit with Gobert.

yea and the Wolves are currently #1 in the West and seem to be turning the page up there
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#11 » by TheNetsFan » Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:04 am

Sharpe has really closed the gap with Claxton. Between his improvement, and Marks' propensity to go young/cheap at the position, Claxton could get moved.

Ultimately, I think he's looking at a 4/$90ish mil deal.

Return to Brooklyn Nets