Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,444

Re: Marks for Markkanen 

Post#21 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:23 am

Papi_swav wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:Spida is not our ticket. We're a first round exit team right now at best. With spida we're a 2nd round exit at best. You don't throw away all your picks for that and Cavs would want all of our Suns, Mavs and Philly picks. I'm good

The might want all those picks, but they probably wouldn’t get anything close to all of those.

They’d probably get Cam, Clowney, the Philly pick, one of the Suns and Mavs picks and two of our own picks, one probably being a year Houston has a swap option with us.

Maybe salary match with Ben. Or Dinwiddie and one of O’Neale or DFS.

Players of Mitchell’s caliber at his age don’t come around that often, if the above type of package could snag him and he wanted to be here, imho you jump on it.

eww absolutely not, that's way too much. You're talking 5 picks ! plus our 2 prospects for a 2nd round exit. No way Jose, D Mitchell is not that guy. I'd much rather go after Garland tbh

It’s 4 picks if it was the type of deal I proposed, but even if 5, 3 of them would be mediocre.

The 2 prospects are nothing to be too concerned with.

Idk that an above kind of deal gets it done, but it’s not a great package, it’s just good.

Don’t see how we get better for that package, don’t see much upside holding onto those specific assets, especially and at least as a set.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#22 » by Keith Van Horn » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:15 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:I really hope we don't go after Mitchell. IDK why you guys want him so bad. He's good but he's not the guy to put us over the top

Unless you have a generational talent (which we don't), winning championships has a lot to do with luck. And just like the lottery, you can't win unless you get yourself a ticket. Spida is our ticket

Leonard wasn't a true number one option in TOR and he won a ring due to injuries. Same with Giannis. Curry doesn't win his last ring if DEN was healthy. This all happened recently.

The league is wide open. No dynasties. We would have a better chance with Spida now, then in the next 3 years where we would have to play against prime Luka, Wemby, Hali, SGA etc

Spida is not our ticket. We're a first round exit team right now at best. With spida we're a 2nd round exit at best. You don't throw away all your picks for that and Cavs would want all of our Suns, Mavs and Philly picks. I'm good

at best, this team ain't making the playoffs :o or some heartbreak play-in game loss type moment
Mitchell is more than just a scorer... he'd help to unlock better looks for the guys on offense. He'd allow for those guys to get more out of their defense, esp Claxton and Bridges (where we're getting roasted over the last 2 weeks).

Whatever this course is that we're on, it's not looking good. I mean, look what the Heat were able to do last year in getting hot at the right time. You need a top 15/20 guy in order to go on that kind of late season/ postseason streak though.

I'd at least be in talks with the Cavs to see where their head is at. If they want 4 picks plus Cam and more, then of course I'd tell them NTY. But i'd be listening and negotiating at least.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,329

Post#23 » by Papi_swav » Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:53 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:
Unless you have a generational talent (which we don't), winning championships has a lot to do with luck. And just like the lottery, you can't win unless you get yourself a ticket. Spida is our ticket

Leonard wasn't a true number one option in TOR and he won a ring due to injuries. Same with Giannis. Curry doesn't win his last ring if DEN was healthy. This all happened recently.

The league is wide open. No dynasties. We would have a better chance with Spida now, then in the next 3 years where we would have to play against prime Luka, Wemby, Hali, SGA etc

Spida is not our ticket. We're a first round exit team right now at best. With spida we're a 2nd round exit at best. You don't throw away all your picks for that and Cavs would want all of our Suns, Mavs and Philly picks. I'm good

at best, this team ain't making the playoffs :o or some heartbreak play-in game loss type moment
Mitchell is more than just a scorer... he'd help to unlock better looks for the guys on offense. He'd allow for those guys to get more out of their defense, esp Claxton and Bridges (where we're getting roasted over the last 2 weeks).

Whatever this course is that we're on, it's not looking good. I mean, look what the Heat were able to do last year in getting hot at the right time. You need a top 15/20 guy in order to go on that kind of late season/ postseason streak though.

I'd at least be in talks with the Cavs to see where their head is at. If they want 4 picks plus Cam and more, then of course I'd tell them NTY. But i'd be listening and negotiating at least.

I'd rather go after Simons from Portland. He stepped his game up and he's cheaper, has point guard abilities and is a better shooter than Spida.
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,319

Post#24 » by Marvin Martian » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:12 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
Keith Van Horn wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:Spida is not our ticket. We're a first round exit team right now at best. With spida we're a 2nd round exit at best. You don't throw away all your picks for that and Cavs would want all of our Suns, Mavs and Philly picks. I'm good

I'd rather go after Simons from Portland. He stepped his game up and he's cheaper, has point guard abilities and is a better shooter than Spida.

Simons is not cheaper. POR is in no rush to trade anyone. With the way things are going, Scoot will be on the trade block before him.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#25 » by Papi_swav » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:56 am

Marvin Martian wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
Keith Van Horn wrote:

Simons is not cheaper. POR is in no rush to trade anyone. With the way things are going, Scoot will be on the trade block before him.

I can say the same for Mitchell, Cavs just said they're not trading him and that means we would have to overpay for him. He's not worth it, and I think Garland plays better team ball than him anyway.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by Keith Van Horn » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:07 pm

If we don't make a play for mitchell that's fine. There's other options out there.

I just feel that we're going to waste away some prime years of this nucleus while catering to Ben Simmons bi-weekly healthy updates.
Something has to give there.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,487

Post#27 » by Stone » Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:00 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:If we don't make a play for mitchell that's fine. There's other options out there.

I just feel that we're going to waste away some prime years of this nucleus while catering to Ben Simmons bi-weekly healthy updates.

Either you just changed your avatar, or I never notice it. But I have to say very cool !

IMO our timeline is not the next three or four years. We have to play the long game. Keep the young players that show all star potential or are at least serviceable rotation players. Take a shot at some high risk high reward players sort of like Ben Simmons and hope for the best until we can reset when the Harden Houston pick debacle is over.

Of course all bets are off if we have cap space and we have an opportunity to sign a few top ten players. But what are the odds of lightning striking twice?
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by Keith Van Horn » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:26 pm

Stone wrote:
Keith Van Horn wrote:If we don't make a play for mitchell that's fine. There's other options out there.

Either you just changed your avatar, or I never notice it. But I have to say very cool !

IMO our timeline is not the next three or four years. We have to play the long game. Keep the young players that show all star potential or are at least serviceable rotation players. Take a shot at some high risk high reward players sort of like Ben Simmons and hope for the best until we can reset when the Harden Houston pick debacle is over.

Of course all bets are off if we have cap space and we have an opportunity to sign a few top ten players. But what are the odds of lightning striking twice?

it's always been that :lol:

so you think don't try to strike during the bridges/camT/camJ timeline?

I'd think maybe there's a bit of optimism still within the next few years, considering the hot streak the Heat were able to go on come playoff time. But maybe we're just not built like that, even with a replacement at the guard position (replacing Simmons) to have some kind of star here.
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,319

Post#29 » by Marvin Martian » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:40 pm

Stone wrote:

There is no long game after 3 or 4 years. Luka, SGA, Ja, etc will be in their primes. You can forget about trying to compete then. Right now is our best chance
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#30 » by Tha King » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:25 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:
Stone wrote:

I'd think maybe there's a bit of optimism still within the next few years, considering the hot streak the Heat were able to go on come playoff time. But maybe we're just not built like that, even with a replacement at the guard position (replacing Simmons) to have some kind of star here.

I don't think you even consider their timelines. Between them, you're talking maybe Bridges being a possible all star level wing. They are not the caliber of players you consider timelines for. Especially not if it means trading those Suns picks.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#31 » by Papi_swav » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:04 am

Keith Van Horn wrote:
Stone wrote:

that's not a good enough core to rush the process. The only guy that seems to be a legit part of a contending team is Bridges because he's a 2 way player and he's still a 3rd best player on a contending team. CamJ we need to get rid of quick because he is not it. CamT still has to develop other parts of his game to be taken seriously. We need a legit 1A star player and it's definitely not Mitchell.
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,425

Post#32 » by DaddyCool19 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:35 am

What about Booker if the Suns implode? If you can keep Johnson, Bridges and Claxton, that would be a nice 4 man core going forward.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,487

Post#33 » by Stone » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:06 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:
Stone wrote:

This site needs bigger avatars !!....... :nod:

You have a good point about the Heat, we could even include the Warriors in 2022, they came out of nowhere also. The Lakers too but that was the bubble. With the Heat, it was top notch coaching and Jimmy Butler a top 15 player who was playing like a top 3 player and the rest of the team seemed to peek at the same time. IMO we just don't have those same ingredients.

I haven't lost all optimism, and there is no real pressure on us, so our games are enjoyable to watch. Our situation is not good, but it could be a lot worse.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#34 » by TheNetsFan » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:27 pm

Stone wrote:
Keith Van Horn wrote:
Stone wrote:

This site needs bigger avatars !!....... :nod:

You have a good point about the Heat, we could even include the Warriors in 2022, they came out of nowhere also. The Lakers too but that was the bubble. With the Heat, it was top notch coaching and Jimmy Butler a top 15 player who was playing like a top 3 player and the rest of the team seemed to peek at the same time. IMO we just don't have those same ingredients.

I haven't lost all optimism, and there is no real pressure on us, so our games are enjoyable to watch. Our situation is not good, but it could be a lot worse.

The Heat were aided by a Giannis injury, and a freak run of 3pt shooting that didn't end until the finals. They almost lost in the play-in.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#35 » by ecuhus1981 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:08 pm

I think that Ainge has the other 29 teams in the league drooling over Lauri, just to see who simps the hardest
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Eatgreenz
Senior
And1: 317

Post#36 » by Eatgreenz » Fri Jan 5, 2024 6:43 pm

This move we should definitely try for
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#37 » by Papi_swav » Fri Jan 5, 2024 8:49 pm

yea Kuminga would be a nice piece here, shouldn't be too expensive. I'm not sure what would be a fair package tho
How about a swap of CamJ for Kuminga and filler?
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,444

Post#38 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:38 pm

Just wanted to revisit this.

It’s a shame it would probably cost all the premium picks for this kid. He didn’t even look great last night, or have a chance to show himself because we beat the brakes off them end to end and the game got out of control so quick, but with a healthy Ben, or a Trae, or Mitchell, Doncic, etc., even a Murray to an extent, he would fit this team like a glove.

I’m always asking myself, when are we going to see the next Rashard Lewis and Glen Rice? And you’re never going to see the next, “XYZ player”, but he would probably be it. But a better version. Like the prime Sonic years, first couple of Orlando Lewis, but still more versatile. Or Rice’s best years with the added height and mobility. He’s a totally different build then Rice, but traits of him too.

Sure you prefer to have a superstar to try and contend, but a Big 3 of Lauri, Mikal and either Mitchell, Trae, Fox or Ja, with some of the complimentary pieces remaining, could compete with anyone in this league for the next 4-7 years.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#39 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:47 am

To me, there is a greater than 50% chance Lauri gets traded/asks out in the offseason. Here's why:

In the offseason, Lauri will have 1yr left on his deal and is entering into his prime contract years (27 in May). He's going to want a max contract (5 years) and near max money(>35M per). It will also be the first time he can truly choose where he plays next, since Chicago basically gave up on him and Cleveland got him on, at the time, a cheap contract for a player with upside.

Now that Lauri has established himself as a borderline all-star and max type player, he can either a) want to be in a situation where he's on a really good team and has a real chance to win or b) be the 1A/1B on a decent young team but ultimately no real chance to win, at least in the short term (next 2-3 years).

I say this because Utah does not seem serious about winning. Hell, there have already been reports Lauri might even be available but only for a crazy over pay. Nothing about adding a star next to Lauri for the future. Compare this to how the Nets are treating Bridges. Nets are constantly saying they want to build around Bridges (don't own their own picks unlike Utah) and aren't even interested in offers. Also, keep in mind Utah didn't trade for Lauri. He was a throw in on a Mitchell trade as a good young player with upside but not a right now all-star. The intention was to reset from Mitchell and Gobert and gradually build up the team into a contender eventually (5yrs if lucky). This is not similar as Shai on OKC since Shai broke out in his age 23 season, which allows Thunder to be patient and not make major moves until time is right. This is closer to a Pascal Siakam situation.

So it basically all boils down to this: Next season Lauri will enter his age 28 season and then will be free agent and will command max contract, entering his age 28-29 season. Does Utah feel pressure to capitalize on an all-star in his prime? Will they trade assets to get a another star/high quality player(s) next to Lauri or do they want to stay patient and wait for the right move in FA or tank by trading vets to get another lottery pick?

Obviously Lauri will be attached to Utah for obvious reasons and will want to stay with the Jazz. However if he wants to win, I'm sure he will be asking Ainge and co, if the plan going forward is to upgrade the roster for win now talent. If the answer is yes and Jazz make concrete moves, then I'm sure he'll be happy. If not, then why would he want to stay with the Jazz when he can get the same money elsewhere and compete for real. No way the Jazz will want to lose him for nothing or even leave it till the deadline and sell low on Lauri, similar to what happened with Siakam. Jazz can sell him to highest bidder and have a treasure trove of assets to fully rebuild.

If the latter happens, then teams like GSW, Sixers, Nets, Lakers, Knicks, Miami, Kings, OKC, Mavericks, Pelicans would all be interested at the very least. If Lauri works with Ainge like Mitchell did, then Utah could easily get a really good young player(s) and/or multiple unprotected FRPs. I can't see Ainge turning down the chance to fleece somebody. Ironically, Mitchell might complicate things a little, as some of those teams rather use all their assets on him than Lauri and may wait for a clear picture on that first.

Tldr: Lauri is entering his prime (27 at the end of this season) and if he wants to be in a win now-ish situation, then Utah will well sell high in the summer when more teams will have enough assets to make it a bidding war for Lauri.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#40 » by 3pt_chucker » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:56 am

Update:

Once again the Jazz are sellers at the deadline and Jaz are going to fallout out of the playin. Lauri has never made the playoffs. Ainge is clearly signalling he wants to rebuild through draft.

He's definitely getting trading in the offseason or by the deadline.

Return to Brooklyn Nets