GT: Nets @ Spazz 12/18 - 9PM EST. Flash ahh-ahh

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Re: GT: Nets @ Spazz 12/18 - 9PM EST. Flash ahh-ahh 

Post#41 » by Keith Van Horn » Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:44 pm

It is what it is right now. :(
The money Ben is being paid should be going toward an actual star player. Imagine if we had a guy of Mitchell's caliber helping this team. You can't tell me that a Mitchell / CT / Bridges / CJ / Clax lineup doesn't show vast improvement over this one. We just need more consistency and a better offense that can push other teams around. Things just feel too disjointed now.
Until Ben is gone, I'm expecting mediocrity. Maybe we can get a play-in spot this year.
kane0801
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#42 » by kane0801 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:01 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:It is what it is right now. :(
The money Ben is being paid should be going toward an actual star player. Imagine if we had a guy of Mitchell's caliber helping this team. You can't tell me that a Mitchell / CT / Bridges / CJ / Clax lineup doesn't show vast improvement over this one. We just need more consistency and a better offense that can push other teams around. Things just feel too disjointed now.
Until Ben is gone, I'm expecting mediocrity. Maybe we can get a play-in spot this year.

Mitchell + CT is not fit and work imo,both are undersize shoot first SG
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 215

Post#43 » by ChuckS » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:58 pm

kane0801 wrote:
Keith Van Horn wrote:It is what it is right now. :(

Mitchell + CT is not fit and work imo,both are undersize shoot first SG

You make a very good point. We probably wouldn't play them together though. My only slight disagreement is I think in today's game you can't have too much redundancy when it comes to exceptional scorers, and both are also efficient. Before I begin let's remember that Mitchell is getting 30+ Mil and Cam is on a rookie contract, so we are currently pretty lucky. I don't know, however, what he will get on his next deal, or that he will not leave for dollars or comfort with his situation at the time.

But I agree with KVH that Mitchell would make a substantial difference in our starting lineup, and not just because of the approximate 4 extra points (currently). One reason is that he is averaging 5.5 assists at a 2.12 ATO compared to Cam's 2.3 at a 1.21. By spreading the wealth we will be less predictable offensively. And CT off the bench with the more offensively challenged, but excellent defenders, like Ben or DSJ would keep us flexible and still dangerous.

Some have mentioned our losing record when Cam scores best. I can argue both sides, but do not yet feel comfortable hazarding a guess as to why. "82games" somewhat also shows this statistically. Donovan has a plus 11.3 production vs opponent and CT also a good, but lesser, plus 5.6. That could be explained by somewhat better offense and defense. What is more perplexing to me is the substantial difference in on/off court numbers. Mitchell is a +4.6 on court and the Cavs are -7.2 when he's off court, for a net plus 11.8. Cam is a -4.4 on court and we are a +5.1 when he is off court, for a net -9.5. I lack the expertise to determine if any of these are in any way attributable to team differences in play, structure, style, or whatever, but we have the better offensive rating (116.8 to 112.5) and Cleveland the better defensive (112.5 to our 115.7). There is only a one point net difference between the two teams.

Cam is such a natural and efficient scorer, and I'd like him on my team, but I would have to choose Mitchell, and hope that Thomas would be happy coming off the bench and we could keep him. If we can't get Mitchell, though, I still think another substantial interim move would be to try to get an actual big power forward with scoring chops. As someone mentioned already, though, at this stage cost and, I think, what personnel we would lose, are factors.
Dangun
Pro Prospect
And1: 263

Post#44 » by Dangun » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:32 pm

Marvin Martian wrote:
Dangun wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:Because it's true. Cam is not a playmaker. When he is hot, that energy does not feed the other guys. Instead they look discouraged and disengaged.

We need a real number one option.

This literally cam first season of actually playing regular.. give the guy at least 2 seasons before writing him off completely .. and mitchell ain't it

In 2 seasons, Cam T and Bridges' contracts will expire and will be overpaid. Doubling down on this mediocre squad will make us a treadmill team for the next 6 years min. Someone has got to go, and I would rather ship Cam T out. His archetype (ball hogging scorer, does nothing else well) is extremely easy to find in this league.

Mitchell is better, obtainable, in his prime, and one of the few players that elevates his game in the playoffs. If he isn't it, then who is?

Everything you’re negative about you’re basically describing Mitchell … Cam T is like 85% of what Mitchell is now without the beyond overpay , so it makes literally no sense to go after Mitchell.. and when cam gets to Mitchell experience, he’ll probably be a much better player, so again it makes no sense to trade for an overpaid ball hogging scorer that barely does anything else well, and on top of that dude defense is one of the worst in the league..

I don’t get nets fans.. you have an elite basketball talent that’s emerging, yet the fans wanna get rid of him is beyond insane to me.. it’s funny because if dude was on the knicks it’d be the complete opposite.. maybe having the 3 stooges for a bit spoiled y’all

Return to Brooklyn Nets