ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets Fire Jacque Vaughn; Kevin Ollie Named Interim

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,938

Re: Nets Fire Jacque Vaughn 

Post#21 » by Karate Diop » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:41 pm

Like I said on GB, good character guy, well spoken, but he just wasn't getting it done.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,456

Post#22 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:52 pm

I still don’t get all the Marks hate. :dontknow:
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#23 » by Keith Van Horn » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:13 pm

Vaughn.... tough break. My thoughts...

I still put 90% of the blame on the former big 3 that were here. We built it all around them, and they spit in the fans' face. KD was the one I wish we kept and continued to build around... but Marks did a reverse clean sweep and moved in the other direction.

IDK what head coach was coming in, NO ONE was going to win with this putrid roster. We are not winning this year and never were. Whether it was Vaughn or someone else.

Now, I think Marks has proven himself as a quality and competent GM. I don't get the Marks hate at all, unless you became a fan of the team like a year or 2 ago. I think he's fine at team building and was given a crappy hand after dismantling the previous squad. He's done so much with so little over the years. Great at evaluating talent and getting the scrap heap and late 1st guys. Keep him.

MAYBE Tsai needs to sell... he's hard to read. But do we really want an owner that's more hands on? Isn't that the opposite of what you want in sports?

Again, I put mostly all of the blame on the previous stars here. They left us in a huge hole. I don't think we start to see the light until 2025 or so.

But I'm very interested in what the next offseason will bring. And i CANNOT WAIT until Ben goddamn Simmons is off this team. Never have I hated one of my own players as much as I loath him. I'm fine benching him rest of the year and trading him as an expiring contract this summer. I don't care how much that might help the Rockets with their pick. I just don't want to see his passive, terrible offensive play anymore, his 2/3 FG box scores, his phony shove other players tough guy routine. I'm done with him.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by Keith Van Horn » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:13 pm

Who do we think is next in line?

Coach Bud? Promote Kevin Ollie?
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,079

Post#25 » by Netaman » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:23 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:I still don’t get all the Marks hate. :dontknow:

same. wasnt the first month of the season pretty decent proof that the roster was halfway decent (.500ish)?

i think i was more open minded to JV than most, but from the MIL game where the team openly revolted and they got fined, something appeared to have broken in the lockerroom. his relationship with cam t, and whatever happened with dinwiddie, was weird.

his inability to get any kind of reliable defense out of an all defense roster was bizarre.

im surprised they canned him this quickly but the reality is twice he wasnt their first choice, and probably for good reasons. he was also not anyone else's first choice. he got a chance but he didn't deliver. on to the next.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,456

Post#26 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:38 pm

Netaman wrote:

same. wasnt the first month of the season pretty decent proof that the roster was halfway decent (.500ish)?

i think i was more open minded to JV than most, but from the MIL game where the team openly revolted and they got fined, something appeared to have broken in the lockerroom. his relationship with cam t, and whatever happened with dinwiddie, was weird.

his inability to get any kind of reliable defense out of an all defense roster was bizarre.

im surprised they canned him this quickly but the reality is twice he wasnt their first choice, and probably for good reasons. he was also not anyone else's first choice. he got a chance but he didn't deliver. on to the next.

Will be surprised if he gets another shot at a HC job and if so probably won’t be for years, will be a deep lotto team and will get canned as soon as they draft a couple guys they view as permanent franchise building blocks and they want to leave the tank.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#27 » by Netaman » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:43 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Netaman wrote:

Will be surprised if he gets another shot at a HC job and if so probably won’t be for years, will be a deep lotto team and will get canned as soon as they draft a couple guys they view as permanent franchise building blocks and they want to leave the tank.

yeah i dont see him getting a 3rd shot. if he didnt get a better 2nd shot after doing pretty good in the bubble as interim i dont think he's getting a 3rd shot after this year.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,389

Re: Nets Fire Jacque Vaughn; Kevin Ollie Named Interim 

Post#28 » by Papi_swav » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:35 pm

lol I know you guys are ecstatic in here. I'm glad Kevin Ollie finally gets a shot, I feel like he can be a good coach. I'm not down for firing Sean Marks, I kinda understand why some of you guys want him fire but we can do alot worse than him.

I think Sean Marks is great, he hits on most of his draft picks and that's a major part of being a good GM. It's not his fault that Kyrie, Harden and KD are cry babies. I feel like he's still the right guy to turn this franchise around. he's done it once, he can do it again but it's going to be process.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#29 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:39 pm

Netaman wrote:

People love drama and heads rolling. Marks is a great GM. He's great at drafting, great at finding cheap talent, great on maneuvering in and out of cap space when necessary, and great at recovering when things don't pan out. He'd be immediately hired elsewhere if we let him go. His first coaching hire was also a good one, derailed by star preference. He's been compromising on coaches since.
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 660

Post#30 » by NetsJets » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:57 pm

Jacque Vaughn issued a statement to ESPN following his dismissal as Nets coach: “To Joe Tsai, Clara Wu-Tsai, Ollie Weisberg, Sam Zussman, Sean Marks and front office, Nets coaches, staff, players, BSE family and the entire Brooklyn borough: It was a pleasure being your Head Coach. I hope each individual I interacted with felt respected and valued. Just know I gave you everything I had every single day. Onto the next chapter. Amor Fati.”
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=q9ZfAf_VfOcaELq9UpCt-A
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,497

Post#31 » by Stone » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:40 am

Very classy, I wish JV well. It seems like yesterday he was a player on the Nets. He also had some impressive games with us.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,031

Post#32 » by NetsWorld » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:19 pm

NetsJets wrote:Jacque Vaughn issued a statement to ESPN following his dismissal as Nets coach: “To Joe Tsai, Clara Wu-Tsai, Ollie Weisberg, Sam Zussman, Sean Marks and front office, Nets coaches, staff, players, BSE family and the entire Brooklyn borough: It was a pleasure being your Head Coach. I hope each individual I interacted with felt respected and valued. Just know I gave you everything I had every single day. Onto the next chapter. Amor Fati.”
Read on Twitter

This is a statement of thank you for him getting a nice retirement contract. He will be paid handsomely for three years without the need to work a single day. Tsai/Marks wanted to take care of the boys before canning them. It would be nice if a company could fire me and give me a nice fat contract that I can just sit at home and collect. No sympathy for this man and this will not be taken as a goodwill gesture.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by Keith Van Horn » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:56 am

TheNetsFan wrote:
Netaman wrote:

People love drama and heads rolling. Marks is a great GM. He's great at drafting, great at finding cheap talent, great on maneuvering in and out of cap space when necessary, and great at recovering when things don't pan out. He'd be immediately hired elsewhere if we let him go. His first coaching hire was also a good one, derailed by star preference. He's been compromising on coaches since.

the outcry on twitter to can Marks is hilarious. Probably all young 20 somethings thinking the grass is greener. They dont know what it's like to be married to a true, terrible GM.

Marks isn't the BEST of all time, but he's got way more makes than misses. He set this team up to be a perennial CONTENDER! After (I think it was Sports Illustrated) labeled the Nets as "the most hopeless American sport franchise" back in like 2015 or something. Come on, look what he did.

I'm 100% giving Marks until 2026/27 before I make any rash decisions for his head.

If he can land us 2 of Mitchell / Young / Lauri etc type guys that turn us into a top 5 EC team within the next 2 years, sign me up.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by Keith Van Horn » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:02 am

NetsWorld wrote:
NetsJets wrote:Jacque Vaughn issued a statement to ESPN following his dismissal as Nets coach: “To Joe Tsai, Clara Wu-Tsai, Ollie Weisberg, Sam Zussman, Sean Marks and front office, Nets coaches, staff, players, BSE family and the entire Brooklyn borough: It was a pleasure being your Head Coach. I hope each individual I interacted with felt respected and valued. Just know I gave you everything I had every single day. Onto the next chapter. Amor Fati.”
Read on Twitter

This is a statement of thank you for him getting a nice retirement contract. He will be paid handsomely for three years without the need to work a single day. Tsai/Marks wanted to take care of the boys before canning them. It would be nice if a company could fire me and give me a nice fat contract that I can just sit at home and collect. No sympathy for this man and this will not be taken as a goodwill gesture.

Relax man, not everyone is secret and conniving. Dude kept a great outlook even in dark moments. He was doomed from the get go post big 3. No one was going to succeed here with this mishmash roster. He had his flaws and wasn't perfect. But he was a decent enough coach. Don't let jealously eat at you, it's no good.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,428

Post#35 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:49 am

Best of luck in your future endeavors, Jacque.

I'm glad to see Kevin get a chance to show his stuff at the (interim) NBA head coaching level. Get 2 of Ben, Day'Ron and Nic to function efficiently together on offense, and you'll open up opportunities for yourself down the road.

I hope we conduct a thorough search for our next full time HC, and my FAR AND AWAY #1 target is Mike Budenholzer.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#36 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:58 am

Never saw what made JV a good coach other than not being Steve Nash. He doesn't do anything at a super high level and was the exact same coach as in Orlando. Not a bad person, just a horrible head coach.

The JV extension was a bad move from the moment it happened. Felt like organization has been trying to pretend like trading KD wasn't a franchise altering move and JV firing might finally be a sign they admit that.

Lots need to change in the offseason imo. Even if Ollie turns out to be excellent, the roster is barely .500 level in a weak east and I'm not sure this fanbase can survive another season like this one.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by Keith Van Horn » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:16 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:Best of luck in your future endeavors, Jacque.

I'm glad to see Kevin get a chance to show his stuff at the (interim) NBA head coaching level. Get 2 of Ben, Day'Ron and Nic to function efficiently together on offense, and you'll open up opportunities for yourself down the road.

I hope we conduct a thorough search for our next full time HC, and my FAR AND AWAY #1 target is Mike Budenholzer.

I agree. I hope Ollie does the best with what he's been given... but look at this roster. LOL. I don't foresee any real noise rest of the season.

I would love it if they really do their best with the HC search and even ultimately wind up with Bud. I think he's got the experience and pedigree that we need.

But the absolute biggest thing that has to happen before I can truly see myself investing the mental capacity into this team... is that we have to get rid of Ben Simmons. Once we free up that space and have the ability to replace him with someone who will actually try to be a threat on offense (and hopefully an elite one), I'll be very happy.

I just don't know if that's going to happen next year via trade (to take on another longer contract, ie Young) or if they're going to wait him out and expire so they don't have to send any other assets out to move him.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#38 » by TheNetsFan » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:53 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:Never saw what made JV a good coach other than not being Steve Nash. He doesn't do anything at a super high level and was the exact same coach as in Orlando. Not a bad person, just a horrible head coach.

The JV extension was a bad move from the moment it happened. Felt like organization has been trying to pretend like trading KD wasn't a franchise altering move and JV firing might finally be a sign they admit that.

Lots need to change in the offseason imo. Even if Ollie turns out to be excellent, the roster is barely .500 level in a weak east and I'm not sure this fanbase can survive another season like this one.

The Vaughn extension always felt like a thank you golden parachute, and an incentive to stick around to absorb some losses. In an ideal world, I don't think Marks wanted to hire a coach of the future until after we landed a star of the future.

Firing Kenny was a mistake. Firing Nash mid-season was a mistake. Marks is not completely wrong about certain coaches being better suited for building or rebuilding a foundation, and others being ego managers that can get the most out of stars. But we now find ourselves in a half way limbo between needing a builder for right now & possibly needing an ego manager within a year or two if we can pull off a star trade with our assets.

In an ideal world, he can pull off a star trade early this off-season & get that star's input on the next coach. I don't know how feasible that is. In teh event you can't do that, then Budenholzer is the closest thing to a person that has proven to been able to do both.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#39 » by Netaman » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:26 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
3pt_chucker wrote:Never saw what made JV a good coach other than not being Steve Nash. He doesn't do anything at a super high level and was the exact same coach as in Orlando. Not a bad person, just a horrible head coach.

The Vaughn extension always felt like a thank you golden parachute, and an incentive to stick around to absorb some losses. In an ideal world, I don't think Marks wanted to hire a coach of the future until after we landed a star of the future.

Firing Kenny was a mistake. Firing Nash mid-season was a mistake. Marks is not completely wrong about certain coaches being better suited for building or rebuilding a foundation, and others being ego managers that can get the most out of stars. But we now find ourselves in a half way limbo between needing a builder for right now & possibly needing an ego manager within a year or two if we can pull off a star trade with our assets.

In an ideal world, he can pull off a star trade early this off-season & get that star's input on the next coach. I don't know how feasible that is. In teh event you can't do that, then Budenholzer is the closest thing to a person that has proven to been able to do both.

Firing Kenny in-season was a mistake, but firing him wasn't. He is generally overrated. There's a reason he hasn't gotten a chance since. His claim to fame is going 42-40 once and a non-competitive 5 game series. They were 6 games under .500 the next year when he got fired. Sure Kyrie was/is nuts, and hard to coach, but he was also still an upgrade on DLo so personnel wise they shouldn't have regressed. Washed up Jared Dudley was a starter the year before.

Hiring Nash was a mistake but that was on KD. Not firing him earlier was also a mistake.

It sucks Udoka had his issues because he'd be the ideal coach.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#40 » by Netaman » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:33 pm

id imagine this is sourced from dinwhiny - if true its moronic, ben clearly has a massively positive impact when things run through him:

Read on Twitter

Return to Brooklyn Nets