ImageImageImageImageImage

OT : Which one should I get?

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

S.I.C. GM
Veteran
And1: 2

OT : Which one should I get? 

Post#1 » by S.I.C. GM » Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:48 pm

It has been three months now that NBA live 08 has been out and I havent gotten it yet.

I havent gotten it yet because I am still debating on which new console I should get.

I am getting mixed feelings on the PS3 and Xbox. I was going to get an xbox but my buddies are trying to convince me to get the PS3.

What do you guys think?
SIC
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Re: OT : Which one should I get? 

Post#2 » by SpeedyG » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:04 pm

S.I.C. GM wrote:It has been three months now that NBA live 08 has been out and I havent gotten it yet.

I havent gotten it yet because I am still debating on which new console I should get.

I am getting mixed feelings on the PS3 and Xbox. I was going to get an xbox but my buddies are trying to convince me to get the PS3.

What do you guys think?

Depends on what kind of games you play. Also if all your friends are on PS3, then it might make more sense to go that way so you guys can all play both offline/online.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#3 » by NetsForce » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:29 pm

I honestly wouldn't get the PS3, unless you're a movie nut and are going to be buying a lot of Blu-Ray movies.

I have a friend who had a PS3 and even bought a cooling unit because it kept overheating, guess what though? Even with the cooling unit the POS kept overheating. He ended up calling the Sony reps. to see if the PS3 was defected but it turned out the thing was fine the PS3 just generates a lot of heat.

I'm sure you can find more PS3 horror stories or even some 360 one's, and I'm also pretty sure that now that the systems have been out for a while it's unlikely you're going to experience any of the problems you find people complaining about online but...

I think you should save yourself some money and get a 360. Most games that were once exclusive for the PS3 are for both the PS3 and 360 anyway so from a choice of games standpoint the 360 library is easily bigger than the PS3's... The PS3 does indeed have better graphics but it's not like the 360's suck...

I'd also recommend that you buy NBA 2k8 over NBA Live 08. I was always a Live fan until last year when NBA Live 07 was completely unplayable due to the bugs that were still in the game after its release...

If you get a 360 you can just download a demo for both 2k8 and Live 08 and see the difference for yourself (at least that's what I did at a friend's house, we basically went back and forth comparing the 2k8 and Live 08 demos and I really enjoyed the 2k8 one more).
mack69
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#4 » by mack69 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:39 pm

I'm a Madden Junkie and that is the only game i play. Speedy is right it depends on what games you play. Anyway i am very happy with the PS3!!!!!!
The "Turnpike" deserve a NBA championship!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jeff1624
RealGM
And1: 1,068

Post#5 » by jeff1624 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:53 pm

NetsForce wrote:I honestly wouldn't get the PS3, unless you're a movie nut and are going to be buying a lot of Blu-Ray movies.

I have a friend who had a PS3 and even bought a cooling unit because it kept overheating, guess what though? Even with the cooling unit the POS kept overheating. He ended up calling the Sony reps. to see if the PS3 was defected but it turned out the thing was fine the PS3 just generates a lot of heat.

I'm sure you can find more PS3 horror stories or even some 360 one's, and I'm also pretty sure that now that the systems have been out for a while it's unlikely you're going to experience any of the problems you find people complaining about online but...

I think you should save yourself some money and get a 360. Most games that were once exclusive for the PS3 are for both the PS3 and 360 anyway so from a choice of games standpoint the 360 library is easily bigger than the PS3's... The PS3 does indeed have better graphics but it's not like the 360's suck...

I'd also recommend that you buy NBA 2k8 over NBA Live 08. I was always a Live fan until last year when NBA Live 07 was completely unplayable due to the bugs that were still in the game after its release...

If you get a 360 you can just download a demo for both 2k8 and Live 08 and see the difference for yourself (at least that's what I did at a friend's house, we basically went back and forth comparing the 2k8 and Live 08 demos and I really enjoyed the 2k8 one more).

Actually the one with the heating problems is the 360, it has a 34% fail rate due to the red ring of death...

But I still recommend you get the 360 because the best games are on that system and the whole PS3 has better graphics than the 360 is BS, my friend has both and he tells me that the graphics on the 360 is better all around and he should know he works in rendering...
Dat Leadership
Adam1221
Sixth Man
And1: 397

Post#6 » by Adam1221 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:25 pm

Well first of all DONT get NBA live it pales in comparison to 2K8 but back on topic.

Imo you should get a PS3 and Ill explain.

1.Yes there is no doubt that atm the 360 has a better library but the PS3's 2008 line up is CRAZZZZZZZZYYY with must haves like Tekken 6,God of war 3,MGS4,Final fantasy 13,Killzone 2,Jak and daxter 4,Gran turismo 5 etc' etc' and better versions of Burnout 5,Devil may cry and most other multi-platform games.

2.Free online- trust me its the ****, and online experience this gen is very very important.

3.A good chunk of the 360's must have's like gears and bioshock are available on the PC whereas the PS3's are mostly exclusive.

4.360's break so easily, the failure rate (even though it got better) is awful and its said that 1 of every 3 360's overheat's and becomes dead.

Either way you cant go wrong because theyre both great systems, just make sure you dont end up getting a WII instead.
jeff1624
RealGM
And1: 1,068

Post#7 » by jeff1624 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:39 pm

Adam1221 wrote:Well first of all DONT get NBA live it pales in comparison to 2K8 but back on topic.

Imo you should get a PS3 and Ill explain.

1.Yes there is no doubt that atm the 360 has a better library but the PS3's 2008 line up is CRAZZZZZZZZYYY with must haves like Tekken 6,God of war 3,MGS4,Final fantasy 13,Killzone 2,Jak and daxter 4,Gran turismo 5 etc' etc' and better versions of Burnout 5,Devil may cry and most other multi-platform games.

2.Free online- trust me its the ****, and online experience this gen is very very important.

3.A good chunk of the 360's must have's like gears and bioshock are available on the PC whereas the PS3's are mostly exclusive.

4.360's break so easily, the failure rate (even though it got better) is awful and its said that 1 of every 3 360's overheat's and becomes dead.

Either way you cant go wrong because theyre both great systems, just make sure you dont end up getting a WII instead.

As ONLINE goes --- Live > PS3 Online EASILY.... even if you have to pay to get live...

Xbox also has a lot more exclusive games that just Bioshock (GOTY IMO) and Gears of wars. There is also Mass effect, halo 3, Fable 2, Lost Odyssey and a few others..

EDIT: And please don't be dissin the wii, Super Smash Bros Brawl will own EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING when it comes out in february....
Dat Leadership
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#8 » by SpeedyG » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:40 pm

NetsForce wrote:I honestly wouldn't get the PS3, unless you're a movie nut and are going to be buying a lot of Blu-Ray movies.

360 has a much worse overheating issues and failure rate. I know 3 people IRL who already had the dreaded "red ring" and had to send their 360s to Microsoft for repair. One of them was unfortunate enough to have his 360 go out on him right before Christmas and is currently without a 360.

No problems with overheating with my PS3 so far. The only thing I can think of is that your friend has the PS3 in an enclosed location where the air simply can't get out and circulate. When I first got the PS3, though I didn't have a problem with overheating, the cooling fan for it would go on OVERDRIVE and would become extremely loud. Since I got a new entertainment system that allows for better airflow, it's been fine. Played Rockband from 9pm to 4am straight, no stoppage, with the room thermostat set to 75 degrees, and the PS3 was fine.

FYI, my PS3 were one of the early releases (not launch date, but I think 2nd release right before Christmas last year).

Not exactly true. A lot of the games that are multiplatform are being designed for 360, and then ported for the PS3. Because of that, the games are not optimized for the PS3 and thus the 360 appears better (mostly with framerates issues, which can be negligible depending on what kind of game you're playing).

The PS3 fanbase is starting to get bigger though, so we'll see this year if game developers will start optimizing for PS3 and we'll have a much better comparison then.
iceman3699
Senior
And1: 69

Post#9 » by iceman3699 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:56 pm

I am a diehard fan of both companies and bought both their systems on launch (decided to sell PS3 due to lack of games later on). Even though I can say the 360 has won the battle out right so far, I advise you to get a PS3 for a couple of reasons.

1. If your buddies are telling you to get a PS3, that would mean they would have PS3's of their own, and since cross platform online play is not common yet, what more satisfaction can you get then being able to play with your friends online and talk trash to them later on. Nothing beats it.

2. We have yet to see the major guns of PS3 (Metal Gear Solid, Tekken, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy just to name a few) yet to be released. And I can assure you I will be getting a PS3 before these games come out.

3. The future is endless. The PS3 being able to use BluRay as its primary media will give you faster loading times and more content to be put in the game opposed to that of a DVD. This reason alone is why I am still having a hard time on whether or not I should buy GTA for the 360.

As long as you take care of your system and provide it with ample ventilation, you should not have any problems with overheating. Occasionally people do run into a few bad systems but you cannot prevent that.

If you are a person who gets 1 system per generation, get the PS3. It will give you better options in the future. And don't worry about the games, because PS3 will get there share of blockbusters eventually.
VCRJKidd15
Lead Assistant
And1: 128

Post#10 » by VCRJKidd15 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 8:08 pm

First off dont even get live get NBA 2K8 idk why you would even think about getting Live.

The 360 Owns PS3 in just about everything except the blu ray(which most people really dont give an eff about because people dont want to waste 30 dollars for a movie. XBL even though you have to pay for it is also better then PS3 Network its been proven if you even argue about it you would Lose. Sure the xbox 360 has overheating problems but but id rather have 3 overheating problems then still pay for the PS3. Sony knows they have lost the console war so far against the 360(thus the price drop) also having crappy exclusives. Also PS3 games run at 30 fps compared to 360s 60 fps(god Assasins creed on Ps3 was a b1tch).The PS3 also does have the red lights of death its called the "blinking light of death" makes that annoying beep sound and the little light blinks red.
VCRJKidd15
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by VCRJKidd15 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 8:14 pm

iceman3699 wrote:I am a diehard fan of both companies and bought both their systems on launch (decided to sell PS3 due to lack of games later on). Even though I can say the 360 has won the battle out right so far, I advise you to get a PS3 for a couple of reasons.

1. If your buddies are telling you to get a PS3, that would mean they would have PS3's of their own, and since cross platform online play is not common yet, what more satisfaction can you get then being able to play with your friends online and talk trash to them later on. Nothing beats it.

2. We have yet to see the major guns of PS3 (Metal Gear Solid, Tekken, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy just to name a few) yet to be released. And I can assure you I will be getting a PS3 before these games come out.

3. The future is endless. The PS3 being able to use BluRay as its primary media will give you faster loading times and more content to be put in the game opposed to that of a DVD. This reason alone is why I am still having a hard time on whether or not I should buy GTA for the 360.

As long as you take care of your system and provide it with ample ventilation, you should not have any problems with overheating. Occasionally people do run into a few bad systems but you cannot prevent that.

If you are a person who gets 1 system per generation, get the PS3. It will give you better options in the future. And don't worry about the games, because PS3 will get there share of blockbusters eventually.
better options in the future? Like what? Knowing the Metal Gear solid game it would most likly go to the 360 just like MGS2. Also Metal Gear has been delayed like 80 times honestly i wouldnt be surprised if it gets delayed again not once to this date have we seen gameplay footage all it has been is movie scenes(thats why some call it Movie Gear Solid)If you dont have a perfectly set HDTV to the highest cabality the PS3 is useless why the xbox 360 can make your standard tv still make a game look next gen. And were you serious about Gran Turismo? it will get owned by the next Forza game.
Adam1221
Sixth Man
And1: 397

Post#12 » by Adam1221 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 8:28 pm

jeff1624 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

As ONLINE goes --- Live > PS3 Online EASILY.... even if you have to pay to get live...

Xbox also has a lot more exclusive games that just Bioshock (GOTY IMO) and Gears of wars. There is also Mass effect, halo 3, Fable 2, Lost Odyssey and a few others..

EDIT: And please don't be dissin the wii, Super Smash Bros Brawl will own EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING when it comes out in february....

Again I said 360 atm has the better games but 2008 the PS3 is gonna be hands down because it has the best line up and a good chunk of those 360 titles are on the PC as well.
About the WII its a great system, SMG is the game of the year but alone its gonna get old very very fast.
iceman3699
Senior
And1: 69

Post#13 » by iceman3699 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 8:28 pm

VCRJKidd15 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

better options in the future? Like what? Knowing the Metal Gear solid game it would most likly go to the 360 just like MGS2. Also Metal Gear has been delayed like 80 times honestly i wouldnt be surprised if it gets delayed again not once to this date have we seen gameplay footage all it has been is movie scenes(thats why some call it Movie Gear Solid)If you dont have a perfectly set HDTV to the highest cabality the PS3 is useless why the xbox 360 can make your standard tv still make a game look next gen. And were you serious about Gran Turismo? it will get owned by the next Forza game.

Please dont start a Forza vs GT debate. I have Forza too and I do agree it is one of the better driving games (damn HDD got erased from my 360 when I did a console swap, so lost all my game saves. Was a level 42 on forza and wasnt even done yet. very heated). I havent played the prologue demo for GT5 on the PS3 yet so I cannot comment on how it is.

Unless you have played both games and are knowledgeable about what each title brings to the table, which I dont know if you are, this is turning into a fanboy argument. And yes I know if only GT had realistic damage. I wished for that every time I played Forza. And a new title for the most part will always be better than the old.

GT5 having the top gear track....:clap:
NjNeTs1029
Starter
And1: 98

Post#14 » by NjNeTs1029 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:06 pm

i have xbox 360 and i love it. It has a bunch of great games and xbox live is amazing. Also if you read reviews, a lot of games that come out on both systems get better reviews for the 360. ps3 is supposed to have a bunch of good games coming out this year so i guess it depends which games u like better. I have a few friends that have both systems and dont even play the ps3 because there arent any good games out yet.

and get nba2k8 its 100000 times better than live.
Da big3
Starter
And1: 2

Post#15 » by Da big3 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:54 pm

If u buy the NBA live make sure it works on the 360, defected XBOXeS do not read EA games, it happened to me but i got it fixed because i was under warranty

Live is better, in2k8 the shots are diffcult to make
jerseyjac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34

Post#16 » by jerseyjac » Thu Jan 3, 2008 12:14 am

S.I.C. GM wrote:It has been three months now that NBA live 08 has been out and I havent gotten it yet.

What do you guys think?

aight...

Just got my PS3...a week ago...

First and foremost I am a movie nut (Blockbuster online)...Blu-Ray is sick...thats where the debate ends for me...

I have always been bias to Live...I own 08...great game so far...I know of the so called bugs, but I have never been able to make the switch...

As far as racing games, I was playing GT4 and Forza at the same time, there are positves to both...once again a slight bias to GT...

It sux that I've missed out on Halo 3, beat both Halo and Halo 2...I'll probably end up buying 360 down the line just to play Halo 3 and Forza 2

As far as GT5, its going to be ridiculous...

Games owned right now...
NFS Carbon
NFS Pro Street
Live 08

Soon to buy ...
Call of Duty 4
GT5

And I'm looking for PS3 game suggestions...suggest away!!! What would be the closest thing to Halo 3...CoD4??? (I understand the game difference, but just looking for a good shooting game)

I really dont have much time to play but a heard the Guitar Hero is nuts, but I like my car games, tested out Logitech's steering wheel, pretty crazy...so we'll see...
VCRJKidd15
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by VCRJKidd15 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:23 am

Da big3 wrote:If u buy the NBA live make sure it works on the 360, defected XBOXeS do not read EA games, it happened to me but i got it fixed because i was under warranty

Live is better, in2k8 the shots are diffcult to make
lmfao wtf you think live is better because you suck at 2k8?
VCRJKidd15
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by VCRJKidd15 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:24 am

jerseyjac wrote:

What do you guys think?

aight...

Just got my PS3...a week ago...

First and foremost I am a movie nut (Blockbuster online)...Blu-Ray is sick...thats where the debate ends for me...

I have always been bias to Live...I own 08...great game so far...I know of the so called bugs, but I have never been able to make the switch...

As far as racing games, I was playing GT4 and Forza at the same time, there are positves to both...once again a slight bias to GT...

It sux that I've missed out on Halo 3, beat both Halo and Halo 2...I'll probably end up buying 360 down the line just to play Halo 3 and Forza 2

As far as GT5, its going to be ridiculous...

Games owned right now...
NFS Carbon
NFS Pro Street
Live 08

Soon to buy ...
Call of Duty 4
GT5

And I'm looking for PS3 game suggestions...suggest away!!! What would be the closest thing to Halo 3...CoD4??? (I understand the game difference, but just looking for a good shooting game)

I really dont have much time to play but a heard the Guitar Hero is nuts, but I like my car games, tested out Logitech's steering wheel, pretty crazy...so we'll see...
halo 3 was a disappointment but if your not a game head then i guess its a game for you but if you dont have COD 4 then go for it
halfHAVOC
Assistant Coach
And1: 176

Post#19 » by halfHAVOC » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:24 am

i have 360 and it has way too many defects, like i had 2 send it in 2x.

+ the ps3 has free online play i wish i had gotten it instead of 360.
Stream My New Basketball Anthem "KING": https://ampl.ink/7QwkY
VCRJKidd15
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by VCRJKidd15 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:30 am

halfHAVOC wrote:i have 360 and it has way too many defects, like i had 2 send it in 2x.

+ the ps3 has free online play i wish i had gotten it instead of 360.
The PS3 online maybe be free but the 360's Live is more superior cant even debate about it. Also sending in 2 xbox's means that the PS3 is greatness? I mean i enjoy the PS3 but with all these horrible reason for why the xbox is "worse" then the PS3 its just making me like super microsoft fanboy defending the 360

Return to Brooklyn Nets