dacher
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Nets move to Brooklyn now for 2010 

Post#1 » by dacher » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:57 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

Nets push back planned move to Brooklyn
January 3, 2008

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- The New Jersey Nets will play most or all of the 2009-10 NBA season in New Jersey instead of Brooklyn, a team spokesman said Thursday.

The Nets had planned to play at its new arena in New York starting in 2009. But spokesman Barry Baum said the move to Brooklyn wouldn't happen until sometime in 2010.

The Nets could possibly begin the season at the Izod Center in East Rutherford and move to the new arena, to be called the Barclays Center, in the first half of 2010, Baum said.

In October, Nets principal owner Bruce Ratner told The Associated Press that the new arena probably would not be ready by the start of the 2009-2010 season.

Under terms of their contract with the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, which operates the Izod Center, the Nets have to give 18 months' notice before they leave to avoid paying a penalty, Baum said.

The Nets haven't broken ground on the new arena, which is part of the Atlantic Yards development that is also set to include office space and as many as 6,400 new apartments. The $4 billion project has faced legal challenges from local residents and environmental groups.
superLuigi21
Junior
And1: 26

Post#2 » by superLuigi21 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:20 pm

good.. i live about 15 min from the meadowlands and of course theres gonna be plenty of good cheap seats avaiable for at least one extra year... im sure its been discussed in the past but im new to this... whats the consensus on the move ?
dacher
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#3 » by dacher » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:22 pm

Resigned or looking forward to it.

Those against it jumped ship years ago.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#4 » by NetsForce » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:24 pm

I'm acutually pretty disappointed that the move has been delayed =\

When the Nets move they'll be farther away from me but I think the move has a lot of basketball benefits that can't be overlooked. Like it or not the Meadowlands has a horrible reputation while the New York area has this great overhyped image of being some sort of basketball Mecca. If moving to New York can make more players willing to come to the Nets then go for it =D... The Meadowlands is also pretty dated and the new arena just looks sick so >_>... Yeah, I'm looking forward to the move I just hope they don't change the team name.
jzmagik
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#5 » by jzmagik » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:57 pm

NetsForce wrote:I'm acutually pretty disappointed that the move has been delayed =\

When the Nets move they'll be farther away from me but I think the move has a lot of basketball benefits that can't be overlooked. Like it or not the Meadowlands has a horrible reputation while the New York area has this great overhyped image of being some sort of basketball Mecca. If moving to New York can make more players willing to come to the Nets then go for it =D... The Meadowlands is also pretty dated and the new arena just looks sick so >_>... Yeah, I'm looking forward to the move I just hope they don't change the team name.

You forgot to mention that if the Knicks meet the Nets in the playoffs in the future, the Nets won't have a homecrowd.
NetsForce
Banned User

Post#6 » by NetsForce » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:07 pm

jzmagik wrote:You forgot to mention that if the Knicks meet the Nets in the playoffs in the future, the Nets won't have a homecrowd.

Well good thing the Nets and Knicks won't meet in the playoffs anytime soon because the Knicks have at least a decades worth of rebuilding to do :lol:... No but seriously you would be surprised how many people have stopped supporting the Knicks due to their recent struggles. It was not too long the Knicks board here on RealGM that there were a couple of threads about people quitting their support of the Knicks and deciding to support the Nets.

The Knicks still have a strong fanbase but it's not what it once used to be.
the_l_train
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Post#7 » by the_l_train » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:33 pm

i'm just curious, when the nets do move to brooklyn, how much of an impact will Jay-Z have on the teams overall image? will there be jersey changes or logo changes that will maybe have more of a hip-hop flavor?

maybe "Hello Brooklyn 2.0" will be the new warm-up song.
jerseyjac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34

Post#8 » by jerseyjac » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:00 pm

Ohhhh how I would love to see this fall through...(sorry, this is my Jersey selfish reasoning talking right now)
S.I.C. GM
Veteran
And1: 2

Post#9 » by S.I.C. GM » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:03 pm

jerseyjac wrote:Ohhhh how I would love to see this fall through...(sorry, this is my Jersey selfish reasoning talking right now)

The funny thing, jac is:

If they move to brooklyn, it works for me because it is only a few stops from my job.

if they dont, I should be living in NJ in a few years.

Either way it works for me.
SIC
jerseyjac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by jerseyjac » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:42 pm

S.I.C. GM wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The funny thing, jac is:

If they move to brooklyn, it works for me because it is only a few stops from my job.

if they dont, I should be living in NJ in a few years.

Either way it works for me.

nice...

I just hate to see New Jersey lose a basketball franchise...thats all...for me its NJtransit to the Path to the subway...no big deal...I live just outside NYC...

w/ the Rock in Newark, I can see one coming back...obviously NYC has always shown more support and with the Nets fan population never showing a strong history in regards to attendance in NJ, that makes it an easy jump to the other side of the river...

but I feel w. the arena in Newark, public transportation more readily available...and the possibility of off the street ticket sales...Newark, NJ is a great option for a basketball franchise...
Adam1221
Sixth Man
And1: 397

Post#11 » by Adam1221 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:06 pm

Meh dont really care even though I represent New Jersey :)
Its just sooo damn frustrating that Rathner decided to stay in the awful Izod center instead of moving to the rock which is soooooo much effin better.
jzmagik
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#12 » by jzmagik » Fri Jan 4, 2008 10:14 pm

NetsForce wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well good thing the Nets and Knicks won't meet in the playoffs anytime soon because the Knicks have at least a decades worth of rebuilding to do :lol:... No but seriously you would be surprised how many people have stopped supporting the Knicks due to their recent struggles. It was not too long the Knicks board here on RealGM that there were a couple of threads about people quitting their support of the Knicks and deciding to support the Nets.

The Knicks still have a strong fanbase but it's not what it once used to be.

NY is still a basketball city, the Knicks fanbase will always be strong, look how they're still the most valuable franchise even today, with floor tickets still pushing over a grand. No knick fan will support the Nets in Brooklyn unless its a real die-hard brooklyn native.
isekii
Sixth Man
And1: 207

Post#13 » by isekii » Fri Jan 4, 2008 11:01 pm

jzmagik wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

NY is still a basketball city, the Knicks fanbase will always be strong, look how they're still the most valuable franchise even today, with floor tickets still pushing over a grand. No knick fan will support the Nets in Brooklyn unless its a real die-hard brooklyn native.

The only reason why their the most valuable franchise is because they're in the heart of the city.

I bet over 80% of the floor seats belong to many of the corporate entities around the arena.
Bynum = Future Olowokandi
Prepare to be disappointed Laker Fans.
jerseyjac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by jerseyjac » Sat Jan 5, 2008 1:20 am

Adam1221 wrote:Meh dont really care even though I represent New Jersey :)
Its just sooo damn frustrating that Rathner decided to stay in the awful Izod center instead of moving to the rock which is soooooo much effin better.

I believe it has to do w/ contract not preference...
NetsForce
Banned User

Post#15 » by NetsForce » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:55 am

isekii wrote:The only reason why their the most valuable franchise is because they're in the heart of the city.

I bet over 80% of the floor seats belong to many of the corporate entities around the arena..

You took the words right out of my mouth.
ChampionRed
Assistant Coach
And1: 881

Post#16 » by ChampionRed » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:58 am

jerseyjac wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

nice...

I just hate to see New Jersey lose a basketball franchise...thats all...for me its NJtransit to the Path to the subway...no big deal...I live just outside NYC...

w/ the Rock in Newark, I can see one coming back...obviously NYC has always shown more support and with the Nets fan population never showing a strong history in regards to attendance in NJ, that makes it an easy jump to the other side of the river...

but I feel w. the arena in Newark, public transportation more readily available...and the possibility of off the street ticket sales...Newark, NJ is a great option for a basketball franchise...

Those are all great points jac but I remember during a Nets game last season, when stern was asked whether or not Jersey will ever have another NBA team in the future, Stern said that Jersey can't support the team so the answer is no.

I hope that it's not the case but as long as Stern's the commish I don't see NJ having another team for a while.
jerseyjac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by jerseyjac » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:19 pm

Netsultimatefan63 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Those are all great points jac but I remember during a Nets game last season, when stern was asked whether or not Jersey will ever have another NBA team in the future, Stern said that Jersey can't support the team so the answer is no.

I hope that it's not the case but as long as Stern's the commish I don't see NJ having another team for a while.

yeh I remember...thats Stern being stern w/ NJ as a state...fact is, the Nets have been digging themselves out of a big hole over the last 7 years...before the Kidd era a season here or there of promise was not much to spark fans interest (we were the Clippers of the East for a very long time)...what do you expect...Fans use to go the Meadowlands to watch the opposition not the Nets...for almost 2 decades, basketball fans in Jersey got used to watching a very good Knicks team and a very competitive Sixers team...

I have said it might take a decade to turn around fans in NJ, but we'll have the help of Brooklyn to complete that turn around...so, imo, it never really had a chance to come full circle...

Fact is, the arena (Izod Center) is old, and dated...never really the best place to watch a basketball game...and Brooklyn will be the talk of the NBA when it happens...It will be very refreshing for the Nets and I just hope there is a team to talk about (LJ?)...fingers crossed...

Return to Brooklyn Nets