ImageImageImageImageImage

Outside shooting?

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Outside shooting? 

Post#1 » by NetsForce » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:03 pm

We don't always agree on everything, but for the most part we can all agree that the Nets are a horrible shooting team and are in need of a shooter off the bench. With that being said I was looking through the league leaders in three-point percentage and I narrowed the list of realistically obtainable three-point threats down to five players (Note: the list isn't pretty, but I feel it's realistic):

Jarvis Hayes

Why:
At .423 from beyond the arc Jarvis Hayes is ranked 15th in the league in three-point shooting percentage. Jarvis has never been accused of playing defense, but one of the advantage he has over some of the other players on this list is that he can put the ball on the floor and be "more than a shooter". What I mean by this is that getting a player like Jarvis kills two birds with one stone as it gives the Nets another long-range thread but it also gives them a player who can create his own shot and be instant offense off the bench.

Why not:
Jarvis has a very reasonable contract... With the Pistons. The Pistons are playing very well as of late so it's unlikely they're going to tinker with their roster, more importantly the Pistons are not going to want to make the Nets a better team, and the Nets just don't have any pieces aside from Sean Williams (who is worth way more than Jarvis) that the Pistons would want.

Potential Trade:
Nets Trade: Bostjan Nachbar
Pistons Trade: Jarvis Hayes + Ronald Murray

Trade Breakdown:
The Pistons save a bit of money and (finally) get rid of Murray... I'm iffy on this trade though, and am going to come right out and say the Nets should probably avoid it since it's a lateral move, and even in a best case scenario is only a very minor improvement as they're essentially trading their only shooter off the bench for another shooter (in Hayes) and someone who probably won't see that much playing time (in Murray)

Conclusion:
This is a lateral move which might be shot down by the Pistons anyway. The Nets might as well just stick with what they have in Nachbar.

Matt Carroll:

Why:
Plain and simple Carroll is a shooter. He's also a Malik Allen type player in the sense that he's a good chemistry guy and doesn't make a lot of mistakes because he's willing to play within his capabilities. Carroll is a system player, and the Nets have a system he can succeed in. It also doesn't hurt that the Bobcats have been worse than advertised and look like they need a change...

Why not:
This offseason Carroll was signed to a 6 year $27 million dollar contract by the Bobcats. At 27 years of age Carroll isn't going to get much better, so while the Nets want Carroll the player it's questionable as to whether they're going to be willing to take on Carroll's contract.

Potential Trade:
Nets Trade: Jason Collins + Lottery Protected 1st Round Pick
Bobcats Trade: Matt Carroll + Ryan Hollins

Trade Breakdown:
Matt Carroll is a BYC player so that makes trades a bit more difficult. I tried to trade away Magloire and filler instead of Collins, but the problem with that is that the only "filler" contract that works in this trade scenario is Malik Allen and trading Magloire AND Allen for Carroll doesn't make sense for the Nets. Another trade which worked was Boone + Magloire for Carroll + May, but once again the Nets would be taking a step backwards by getting rid of Boone. Realistically I'm sure the Nets would like to offer a second round pick (or two) instead of a lottery protected 1st, but I doubt the Bobcats make the deal without the first round pick, as trading Carroll and Hollins for Collins makes them worse in the short run so they're going to be wanting something out of the trade (on the flip side the Nets could argue they're taking Carroll's contract off of the Bobcats' hands so maybe one or two second round picks instead of a first could work).

Conclusion:
If the Bobcats can't be forced to budge from their demands of a first round pick (remember the Melvin Ely situation), the Nets should probably just avoid this trade. Giving up a first rounder and taking on Carroll's contract is asking too much of the Nets.

Damon Jones

Why:
He might not play that much anymore but he can still shoot the rock (.380 from three-point land). As a few recent articles indicated Jones also wants out of Cleveland...

Why not:
If the Nets acquired Jones he would immediately become their fourth-string point guard (he would be being paid more than Marcus Willians and Darrell Armstrong combined though!) and would only see playing time in certain situations that called for long-range shooting. If Jones wasn't happy in Cleveland it's hard to see him happy in New Jersey where his minutes will be further curtailed... Jones' contract is up at the end of next year, but paying him $8.6 million dollars over a two-year span just to ride the pine isn't efficient spending...

Potential Trade:
Nets Trade: Jamaal Magloire
Cavaliers Trade: Damon Jones + Cash Compensation + 2nd Round Pick

Trade Breakdown:
The Nets are basically taking Jones' off the Cavaliers' hands, Magloire is underproducing but is arguably more useful than Jones so that's why the Cavs' compensate the Nets with a second round pick. The cash compensation is given to help offset the different in the two contracts and pay towards Jones' second year with the Nets. This is a trade scenario where working in a third team might make more sense as the Cavaliers do have a decent three-man rotation of big men.

Conclusion:
The Nets might as well avoid this trade, even if Magloire becomes a malcontent and they decide to trade him they could probably obtain a more useful player than Jones.

Kareem Rush

Why:
Rush is shooting slightly worse from three-point land than Damon Jones (.370 compared to .380), but he would be a better fit for the Nets since he's a wing player and not a point guard... Indiana already has numerous wing players so despite the fact that Rush has gotten quite a bit of burn recently he's an expendable player.

Why not:
Rush has bounced around the league a little bit and is said to have a bit of an attitude problem. There has been no word of any mess-ups by Rush in Indiana though so his chemistry problems could be a thing of the past...

Potential Trade:
Nets Trade: 2nd Round Pick + Cash compensation
Pacers Trade: Kareem Rush

Trade Breakdown:
The one other trade that works would be for the Nets to trade Malik Allen for Rush straight up; Allen could also be sent to a third team and another second round pick from that third team could be sent to the Pacers. I'm against this second / third trade idea though as Allen really fits in well with the Nets and I'd rather have Allen than Rush. The one "problem" with this trade is that it will slightly push the Nets into the LTT territory by about $200,000-$500,000...

Conclusion:
A low risk, medium-high reward type of deal. It forces the Nets over the LTT but not by a significant amount. It's definitely something I would consider exploring.

Willie Green

Why:
Green has gotten a bad rep. from Sixers fans but statistically speaking with the exception of a slight increase in his turnovers every one of Green's statistics has increased for the better from the 2006-2007 to 2007-2008 NBA season. Similar to Jarvis Hayes, Green isn't just a shooter but he's a scorer; Green is able to manufacture his own offense and put up points in a hurry. He's only 26 years old to boot with a modest salary in the $3.5 million range. With the possibility of losing Wright this offseason Green could make for a less-defense more offense oriented replacement for him...

Why not:
Green is an erratic player, he's more of a streak shooter than the other players on this list. Green is locked up through the 2010-2011 season, according to Shamsports.com his last two years of his contract are unguaranteed though...

Potential Trade:
Nets Trade: Jamaal Magloire + 2nd Round Pick (if necessary)
Sixers Trade: Willie Green + Louis Amundson

Trade Breakdown:
The Sixers get EVEN MORE cap room and if they really play hardball and the Nets give in a second round pick. The Nets get Green and a throw in so the salaries match... In this trade I think the importance of the Sixers getting more cap room can't be underrated as one of the few teams in the NBA with significant cap room this summer getting further under the cap could help the Sixers to make a HUGE splash in free agency.

Conclusion:
I think Magloire still has his uses and would much rather give up Collins, but gambling on Green is probably the best option out of the ones I listed, he's young and has a reasonable contract and should help offset any losses to the wing rotation in the offseasn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to propose as realistic deals as possible and explain my reasoning behind them if anyone wants to disagree or comment on what I wrote above feel free to do so. One last comment though... I left James Jones off the list because Portland would be reluctant to part with him and the Nets would have to overpay to get him.

It's always better to buy low than to buy high, and trading for a player like James Jones would be buying high. Way too high.
VCRJKidd15
Lead Assistant
And1: 128

Post#2 » by VCRJKidd15 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:20 pm

1st round pick for Carroll................
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#3 » by NetsForce » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:32 pm

I'm not saying I would do all of these trades but I was just posting what it would take for them to go down. When you consider the fact that it took a first rounder and an expiriting to get a shooter in an off year in Korver, a first round pick for Carroll and a contract that expires next year is probably what the going price for him is.
S.I.C. GM
Veteran
And1: 2

Post#4 » by S.I.C. GM » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:33 pm

I like James Jones from Portland. Used to be the Suns bench sharp shooter. Dont think Portland would give him up, but he doesnt make much. but the guy can shoot. He is shooting 55% from 3.
SIC
superLuigi21
Junior
And1: 26

Post#5 » by superLuigi21 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:28 pm

whats j.j. redick up to these days? i noticed adonal foyle and augustine as the backup big men... im sure they would take one of our bigs
isekii
Sixth Man
And1: 207

Post#6 » by isekii » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:42 am

We should do

Mags + Collins + 2008 1st (top 10 protected)

for

Eddy Curry

They get an expiring, a 1st round pick and get out of 2 more years of Eddy's contract.

Nets do it obviously cuz Eddy will be dominant with JKidd. He's a blackhole on defense, but having Sean next to him will help I would think.
Bynum = Future Olowokandi
Prepare to be disappointed Laker Fans.
halfHAVOC
Assistant Coach
And1: 176

Post#7 » by halfHAVOC » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:55 am

^ since when is eddy a shooter? besides that 3 in milwauke. lol dumb he sucks.

they cud get more for curry from suckers tho
Stream My New Basketball Anthem "KING": https://ampl.ink/7QwkY
isekii
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by isekii » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:59 am

halfHAVOC wrote:^ since when is eddy a shooter? besides that 3 in milwauke. lol dumb he sucks.

they cud get more for curry from suckers tho

Who said he was a shooter.

Since he's proposing trades in his original thread. I just suggested in this thread.

Eddy would dominate with Kidd.

jeff1624
RealGM
And1: 1,068

Post#9 » by jeff1624 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:08 am

^^Curry's problem has never been low post scoring, Hell thats his strongest skill. The problem is the other things he WONT do like rebound or defend. I doubt kidd helps him in those areas...
Dat Leadership
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#10 » by jman3134 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:12 am

I don't see why zeroing in on three point shooters is going to solve the Nets problems. The difficulties are inside and on perimeter defense. Despite awesome passes from Kidd against the Pistons, the bigs were unable to finish. That's unacceptable. Sean Williams is developing, but there's also a reason that this rookie is playing so many minutes.
deviljets7
Lead Assistant
And1: 24

Post#11 » by deviljets7 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:30 am

Assuming the Nets can take on the extra money involved...

Chris Wilcox, Earl Watson and Damien Wilkins for
Marcus Williams, Antonie Wright (or Nachbar), Magliore, Collins and a 1st rounder (lottery protected)
enetric wrote:You have the perfect fat% to sit on your butt, eat crap and WATCH someone else do it though. Hell, at that body fat% you might be a starter.
isekii
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by isekii » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:05 am

jman3134 wrote:I don't see why zeroing in on three point shooters is going to solve the Nets problems. The difficulties are inside and on perimeter defense. Despite awesome passes from Kidd against the Pistons, the bigs were unable to finish. That's unacceptable. Sean Williams is developing, but there's also a reason that this rookie is playing so many minutes.

I totally agree. 3 point shooters aren't gonna solve our problem. We need someone with true inside presence.

Eddy solves that and he's probably available on the cheap. We don't have to gut our team to get him..
I think Collins + Magloire + 1st this year top 10 protect would land him. If they bitch Top 5 protected.
He'll draw doubles from opposing teams and RJ and VC can go back playing 1 on 1. Not to mention if VC or RJ is drawing doubles, Eddy and either one has to be open.

His defense sucks, but I think having RJ/Sean/Kidd can make up some of his deficiencies. VC isn't half bad either on defense.

You wanna double RJ or VC ? Eddy throws in down inside.

Our line up would be.

Kidd/Williams/Armstrong
VC/Wright/Thomas(possibly cut?)
RJ/Nachbar/Wright
Kristic/Swat/Boone/Allen
Curry/Kristic/Boone/Swat

That would be a solid lineup. Inside and outside threat.
As far as defense is concerned, maybe Eddy will be motivated playing with Kidd.

Adam1221
Sixth Man
And1: 397

Post#13 » by Adam1221 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:47 pm

If we make a trade with the Knicks it should be for Zach, Curry is just an overhyped scrub Zach on the other hand is that low post offensive threat this team needs
S.I.C. GM
Veteran

Post#14 » by S.I.C. GM » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:43 pm

jeff1624 wrote:^^Curry's problem has never been low post scoring, Hell thats his strongest skill. The problem is the other things he WONT do like rebound or defend. I doubt kidd helps him in those areas...

Another thing is I dont think Kidd would like another over paid player that cant step up when it is needed.

I see where Curry can help us, but he is too lazy. I would rather Zach but even that is a risk. Both guys also dont work because Frank wont yell at them and make them do what they are suppose too.

As far as the shooter is concerned, we do need another shooter. Unless, we have that other shooter on the bench. DA seems to be a decent shooter. I like his energy. He needs more playing time.
SIC
mack69
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#15 » by mack69 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:28 pm

deviljets7 wrote:Assuming the Nets can take on the extra money involved...

Chris Wilcox, Earl Watson and Damien Wilkins for
Marcus Williams, Antonie Wright (or Nachbar), Magliore, Collins and a 1st rounder (lottery protected)

I like your idea would it not be a better for the budget to add Dwest instead of Watson who makes more money?
The "Turnpike" deserve a NBA championship!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mack69
Pro Prospect

Post#16 » by mack69 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:40 pm

S.I.C. GM wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Another thing is I dont think Kidd would like another over paid player that cant step up when it is needed.

Who you are talking about SIC?
ChampionRed
Assistant Coach
And1: 881

Post#17 » by ChampionRed » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:35 am

I love how this turned from "trade for a shooter" thread to a "Lets get eddy curry" thread lol I would love Matt Carroll he's a great shooter and a great young chemistry guy who plays hard every night.
deviljets7
Lead Assistant
And1: 24

Post#18 » by deviljets7 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:49 am

mack69 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I like your idea would it not be a better for the budget to add Dwest instead of Watson who makes more money?

It is, but I think you'll need to take Watson as the incentive for SEA to do this trade. IMO for a player of Wilcox's age, talent and salary Marcus and a lottery protected pick is probably getting him a bit cheap. I think Watson is the carrot needed for them to move Wilcox at that price.

If they prefer a deal with West instead of Watson I'll be more than happy to oblige. :D
enetric wrote:You have the perfect fat% to sit on your butt, eat crap and WATCH someone else do it though. Hell, at that body fat% you might be a starter.
mack69
Pro Prospect

Post#19 » by mack69 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:12 pm

deviljets7 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It is, but I think you'll need to take Watson as the incentive for SEA to do this trade. IMO for a player of Wilcox's age, talent and salary Marcus and a lottery protected pick is probably getting him a bit cheap. I think Watson is the carrot needed for them to move Wilcox at that price.

If they prefer a deal with West instead of Watson I'll be more than happy to oblige. :D

A great trade suggestion with Wilcox. You are probably right about Watson my reasoning with West his outside shot is better than Watson.
S.I.C. GM
Veteran

Post#20 » by S.I.C. GM » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:14 pm

I just wanted to bump this.

The Nets need an outside shooter that can defend.

I must say Thorn is one of the best NBA Presidents out there but Not getting someone like Posey is going to come back to hurt. We need someone like Kittles badly. Hopefully Wright returns to form and Nachbar can work on his threes. We dont need any BIGS we need perimeter D and a shooter.
SIC

Return to Brooklyn Nets