ImageImageImageImageImage

IDENTITY

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

S.I.C. GM
Veteran
And1: 2

IDENTITY 

Post#1 » by S.I.C. GM » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:04 pm

I wanted to get some opinnions on what this teams true IDENTITY is.

I personally think nothing has changed from our Finals Team.

We are a defensive team that likes to run. As long as Kidd is here, that is what we will always be. This lose and the last 5 wins just proves it. Defense FIRST. RUN, RUN, RUN Second. Half Court Offense is and will always be Third.

Here are a few points:

1- Does VC really fit this team? I am not saying he isnt good. I am not saying he didnt help us with the 5 game winning streak (though it is questionable). The issue is that VC though above average Scorer(I am being nice here.), he is limited defensively. He consistant loses his man. Playing SG, that guy is usually the SF shooter, SG shooter/slasher, or even the quicker PG. The other issue - Is it me or have I missed something? Does VC run the break? I catch most of the games, but I cant remember VC on one wing and RJ on another in a fast break situation. Yeah Kitlles would be a straggler for the open 3, but I can remember many finishes at the basket with Kittles runnign a fast break. The only positive is that with VC we have a better half court game, but Kidd is and will never be a half court player. Can VC help this team? Yeah. Is he ideal? Nope. Can this be fixed? Yeah. VC needs to really pick up his D and needs to really be more aggressive with the breaks. This can also be fixed by Frank.

2- Everyone that wants a trade especially for JO. You need to rethink that. Like I said above, Kidd isnt a half court player. Getting JO just makes us a half court team. Everyone says JO for RJ would open up the court for VC. Yeah it would but how about Kidd. JO cant run the floor. VC is questionable running the court. Before KG got traded, everyone wanted him but the most attractive thing about him is his all around game. I can see Kidd with KG on a break but can you see JO. So we trade RJ, the only guy that truly works with Kidd right now, the young guys are getting there, for a guy that might not work. Besides his injuries, I am completely against trading for JO now.

3- Cant talk about this subject unless I bring in Frank. He is always talking about identity and he fells strongly about the Defensive aspect. But FRANK COME ON. Like i have said before, our best defensive line up right now is: DA, Kidd, RJ, Swill, Boone/Collins/Mags. I dont know why he continues to experiment with different lineups. 30+ games and Frank still doesnt have an F'N consistant rotation. The other issue is putting VC in a better situation to use his talents. Frank's lineup featuring VC needs to be tweaked. Something like DA, VC, Boki/Wright, Allen, Boone/Mags/Collins can work. Surround him with shooters, defenders and some offensive rebounders, VC will thrive. For all the VC lovers saying he doesnt get enough touches, this line up will make you happy. VC touches the ball every possession. One more thing maybe someone can answer this- Why doesnt everyone except Kidd pick and roll. If Kidd has the ball, VC,RJ, Wright and Boki should also pick and roll/pop. is there a underlining rule that it has to be the person playing the PF/C position.

Those are some things.
SIC
G_MoNeY
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#2 » by G_MoNeY » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:47 pm

1- Does VC really fit this team? I am not saying he isnt good. I am not saying he didnt help us with the 5 game winning streak (though it is questionable).

Yes, he does fit this team. To say it's "questionable" he helped this 5-game winning streak is absurd. He's the one that's raised his game overall and carried the load when others were struggling. VC had a bad game last night, look at the result. Everyone else was at their averages or close.

The issue is that VC though above average Scorer(I am being nice here.), he is limited defensively. He consistant loses his man.

I actually see the opposite almost. RJ is the one getting beat because of his lack of lateral quickness. He's the one allowing most of the penetration, VC has improved on his defensive game.

Does VC run the break? I catch most of the games, but I cant remember VC on one wing and RJ on another in a fast break situation.

It's happened a lot more lately. VC is usually the trailer on such a play, but there's been many occasions recently where VC has finished on the opposite wing of RJ.

The only positive is that with VC we have a better half court game

Seriously? Half-court game is the most glaring difference. What about his ability to create for players such as Boone, Williams, Nachbar? What about his ability to draw the defense to him with just his presence? What about opponents having to adjust their defense to counter his presence? What about his passing ability? What about his unselfishness? RJ needs to take some notes and find the open man when he touches the ball, the ball seems to DIE when it's in RJ's hands NOT VC

Getting JO just makes us a half court team. Everyone says JO for RJ would open up the court for VC. Yeah it would but how about Kidd. JO cant run the floor. VC is questionable running the court.

It's all about balance. JO may not run the floor, but he can trail the play and finish. Williams runs the floor, Wright runs the floor, Nachbar runs the floor. RJ is the best at it, I agree, but with JO in the lineup we have better balance offensively AND defensively. The injury issue is the only concern I have with JO, but as I've said many times, a change of scenery could do him wonders. Combining those injuries and contract issues could raise concerns, but I think a move such as this, needs to be done, to contend with the elite.

You know where I stand on Frank, no need to comment.
Antti22
Senior
And1: 233

Post#3 » by Antti22 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:54 pm

No offence but you really gotta stop that VC hating. It driving me mad here.
We are 0-8 without him, so what do we see from it? This team was lower than Toronto when we acquiered him, we did make the playoffs, didnt we?
As for his off the ball offence, sure he is not the best at it. But running the fast break is RJ-s primary job, thats where he can do it. VC runs it, but stays off the picture, as a reserve to fix it if something goes wrong.
As for defence, VC isnt that bad at it, he can do it quite nicely down the strech, comes to my mind a game where he had like 6 steals or so. And most of the times he isnt on the other teams top scorer so he is supposed to help out on others...
VC is also our best clutch player and as we cant blow anyone out, he has been most important player to win those games by 5p or less.

Ive been reading this forum from before the season started and you have gotten me on the limit. So i shall say that lets trade VC then, just to let you see whats left of us then....
S.I.C. GM
Veteran

Post#4 » by S.I.C. GM » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:10 pm

Antti22 wrote: No offence but you really gotta stop that VC hating. It driving me mad here.
We are 0-8 without him, so what do we see from it? This team was lower than Toronto when we acquiered him, we did make the playoffs, didnt we?
As for his off the ball offence, sure he is not the best at it. But running the fast break is RJ-s primary job, thats where he can do it. VC runs it, but stays off the picture, as a reserve to fix it if something goes wrong.
As for defence, VC isnt that bad at it, he can do it quite nicely down the strech, comes to my mind a game where he had like 6 steals or so. And most of the times he isnt on the other teams top scorer so he is supposed to help out on others...
VC is also our best clutch player and as we cant blow anyone out, he has been most important player to win those games by 5p or less.

Ive been reading this forum from before the season started and you have gotten me on the limit. So i shall say that lets trade VC then, just to let you see whats left of us then....

Actually I have been really good this year.
SIC
Antti22
Senior

Post#5 » by Antti22 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:44 pm

But still your support for this team seems to be about the same as Jason Collins
S.I.C. GM
Veteran

Post#6 » by S.I.C. GM » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:09 pm

Antti22 wrote: But still your support for this team seems to be about the same as Jason Collins
SIC
Antti22
Senior

Post#7 » by Antti22 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:17 pm

No, i cant think of any trades involving VC to make Nets better, because in my opinion VC is a very vital part of thi NJ Nets organization at this point. Both from fan point of view (filling those seats) as well as winning games point of view.

I think that Nets need Gasol type of player who is inside presence aswell as outside threat. Oh wait, we have had that, Nenad is that guy, he just needs to get well and play at the level he has played before.
Pugsley_2491
Bench Warmer
And1: 3

Post#8 » by Pugsley_2491 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:00 pm

http://realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=748189

i'd do that trade on the trade forum

loflin3hree5ive wrote:i know you gotta give to get but heres my follow up:

thornton
mobley
thomas
top 10 protected pick

for

vc

nj would probably want shorter contracts but maybe al and a pick can offset that.

except switch mobley with magette
G_MoNeY
Veteran

Post#9 » by G_MoNeY » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:31 pm

Pugsley_2491 wrote:http://realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=748189

-= original quote snipped =-

why would you want Maggette when he's very similar to RJ. If anything you deal RJ, get Maggette and those others and see what happens.
ChampionRed
Assistant Coach
And1: 881

Post#10 » by ChampionRed » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:32 pm

There's no way the clipps would trade Thornton AND Magette.
S.I.C. GM
Veteran

Post#11 » by S.I.C. GM » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:48 pm

I am not sure if I like this trade, but I like where you are going with it.

I thought I saw a discussion about this but if not.

I just read this:
http://blog.nj.com/netsblast/2008/01/ma ... ion_1.html

You can take a shot at Elton Brand, ruptured Achilles and all, and see if the Sinking Ships find a Vince/Marcus offer appealing. If they prefer Boone over Marcus, which is possible but unlikely considering their needs, all the better. If they start clamoring for Sean, that's probably a deal-breaker. And they would undoubtedly play hardball, because the Clippers are so paranoid they always try to kill you in a deal, and everyone hates talking to them. 2. The Jermaine Option. Frankly, this doesn't appeal to me in any way: He's not what he used to be, his numbers have dipped in each of the last four years, the Pacers don't really need any wings, and you'd have to overpay to take on his $19M salary (which rises to $21.3M and $23M). Pass.
reponse by Dave D'Alessandro

I dont agree with everything but it is interesting.

Here are some comments about this blog.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post ... 8#comments
SIC
Samuel
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by Samuel » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:27 pm

S.I.C. or w/e your name is you need to find some other pass time.Your basking at Vince is incredibly foolish.

Sure you can critisize him but he delivers a lot more than you give him credit for.And "questionable" for helping out the team in the winning streak???You are in your own little world.

Get over your man crush with Rj man.Especially when he has cost this team al ot more games than Carter with his selfishness.

We have lost to a not so great team last night and it hurts but jeesh we are slowly coming along,we have won about 8 out of 10 I believe.
S.I.C. GM
Veteran

Post#13 » by S.I.C. GM » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:00 pm

Samuel wrote:S.I.C. or w/e your name is you need to find some other pass time.Your basking at Vince is incredibly foolish.

Sure you can critisize him but he delivers a lot more than you give him credit for.And "questionable" for helping out the team in the winning streak???You are in your own little world.

Get over your man crush with Rj man.Especially when he has cost this team al ot more games than Carter with his selfishness.

We have lost to a not so great team last night and it hurts but jeesh we are slowly coming along,we have won about 8 out of 10 I believe.

Samuel, Clearly you didnt read this thread. It wasnt a VC bashing thread. I actually gave some suggestions how VC can work, but you bring up Man Crushes. Clearly you have a MAN CRUSH for VC. EDIT: Who has a VC avatar.

Clearly VC LOVE IS BLIND. <as SIC sings - LOVE HURTS......>
SIC
Samuel
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by Samuel » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:19 am

S.I.C. GM wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Samuel, Clearly you didnt read this thread. It wasnt a VC bashing thread. I actually gave some suggestions how VC can work, but you bring up Man Crushes. Clearly you have a MAN CRUSH for VC. EDIT: Who has a VC avatar.

Clearly VC LOVE IS BLIND. <as SIC sings - LOVE HURTS......>

Lol,Na I don't have a man crush on Vince.I am a fan of his though.I am not critisizing you because I am a VC fan but rather because you bash him too much.

I wouldn't have cared about what you were saying about him had I not read that you thought that he had a "questionable" part in helping the team in thw winning streak.That is clearly being bling by your hatred for Vince.

I do not like Rj much because I feel that he is too selfish at times but I do not bash him when he is playing well for the team.
jerseyjac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34

Post#15 » by jerseyjac » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:20 am

S.I.C. GM wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Actually I have been really good this year.

you've been better... :-?
jerseyjac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34

Post#16 » by jerseyjac » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:27 am

Vince is a huge part of this team, our winning streak and hopes of making any sort of run...at anything...

you want to talk trade, swapping him for a big man as we have with RJ...fine, knock yourself out...no matter who we're talking about trading, the possibility of mixing things up and aquiring a legit big man can never be denied as a thought...

but as far as VC now...the guy does so many things to help this team win ball games...even when he's having a bad game...

so you dont have to jock VC to understand he's crucial part of this team...or 1/3 of the legit talent on this team (outside of role players and young guys and minus our hurt PF)...right now there is no question WE NEED Vince...
TDevilsG
Rookie
And1: 188

Post#17 » by TDevilsG » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:14 am

jerseyjac wrote:Vince is a huge part of this team, our winning streak and hopes of making any sort of run...at anything...

you want to talk trade, swapping him for a big man as we have with RJ...fine, knock yourself out...no matter who we're talking about trading, the possibility of mixing things up and aquiring a legit big man can never be denied as a thought...

but as far as VC now...the guy does so many things to help this team win ball games...even when he's having a bad game...

so you dont have to jock VC to understand he's crucial part of this team...or 1/3 of the legit talent on this team (outside of role players and young guys and minus our hurt PF)...right now there is no question WE NEED Vince...

I concur.

Averaging about 22 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists, Vince Carter is putting up consistently good numbers-even if the offense seems to be flowing through Jefferson a greater amount this year, which means that Vince is seeing less shots in general. I don't believe that Vince is currently playing up to the potential that he possesses. However, I would trust nobody else on the team right now when it comes to taking that final clutch shot at the end of games. Not even Jefferson.

I believe that trading Jefferson would give us the best short-term solution to the problem of the Nets being merely an above average team. His stock value is at an all-time high; he's currently averaging about 25 points and 5 rebounds. With Jefferson and Carter out on the floor together, they just don't seem to mesh; usually one of them scores big numbers during a game and the other puts up decent numbers. With Jefferson gone, Vince will have more shots to take as the offense opens up.

The Nets Big Three experiment has gone on too long. Sometimes, if you see your team not playing up to their potential, you need to shake things up in order to ignite some kind of passion. I just don't see that consistently in this current team. Our defense is still too weak. I don't know if firing frank will cause the difference necessary to make this team title contenders again, but I highly doubt it. Krstic is a huge factor for this team as well. Most of us have completely forgotten about how great of a player he was before his injury; it's been a LONG time.

PG: Jason Kidd
SG: Vince Carter
SF: Richard Jefferson
PF: Swill
C: Nenad Krstic

If that lineup played up to the potential that each individual player possesses, the Nets would be one of the most dangerous teams in the entire league. Yet I have no reason to believe that would ever happen. Too many of us were caught up in the potential that this team had, especially going into this year. But once again the team is underachieving and I don't see them as potential title contenders.
S.I.C. GM
Veteran

Post#18 » by S.I.C. GM » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:12 pm

No where in this thread did I say trade VC. I just said in the Defend and Run aspect of this team he doesnt fit. In yesterdays game, Frank put him in a situation to show his talents. DA, VC, Wright, Nachbar, Collins. This is the perfect line up for VC. If he is agressive, whether going to the basket or picks and screens, VC would be very productive here. Pts, asts, and everything else.

As far as the trade RJ stuff, I am for anything that makes the team better but I dont think JO is the solution. I am for trading for someone that is going to be able to play with Kidd. I dont see JO being that person maybe Kobe, Lebron, a healthy Brand, Marion, even Artest, or those types of players.
SIC
tsp00n
Freshman

Post#19 » by tsp00n » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:21 pm

S.I.C. GM wrote:No where in this thread did I say trade VC. I just said in the Defend and Run aspect of this team he doesnt fit. In yesterdays game, Frank put him in a situation to show his talents. DA, VC, Wright, Nachbar, Collins. This is the perfect line up for VC. If he is agressive, whether going to the basket or picks and screens, VC would be very productive here. Pts, asts, and everything else.

As far as the trade RJ stuff, I am for anything that makes the team better but I dont think JO is the solution. I am for trading for someone that is going to be able to play with Kidd. I dont see JO being that person maybe Kobe, Lebron, a healthy Brand, Marion, even Artest, or those types of players.

you won't say it? ok then.. i will i've been logging on and watching these blogs for years... (i miss enetric) and I say trade vince!!!! is he a bad player? no but honestly who is this team suppose to be built around? kidd or vince?? if it's vince then we should trade kidd right now while he's getting all these triple doubles... but i doubt thats the case... the truth is, we don't need a great scorer... we def don't, remember kerry kittles? the guy who helped us get to the finals twice... remember the defense he would bring? we never got rained on from 3pt land like we do now... and that enabled kidd to double team down low... when big men had the ball and get steals which turned in to fast breaks, with 3 options kittles, rj, martin THATS the diff in our offense... another thing is back door plays, we don't have those anymore... frank's lack of in-game adjusments is also killing us... maybe he should play swill at 5 and boone at 4... the funny thing is... we see triple doubles from kidd like crazy and in the game it looks like he's just coasting... carter looks worn-out during the whole game... he plays with lack of expression, like a zombie running up and down aside from his lil wrist flip...

again this is just my opinion, but aslong as the big 3 in our team is the current big 3... we'll never go far or play hard, and alwayz be medieocre.
S.I.C. GM
Veteran

Post#20 » by S.I.C. GM » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:29 pm

tsp00n wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

you won't say it? ok then.. i will i've been logging on and watching these blogs for years... (i miss enetric) and I say trade vince!!!! is he a bad player? no but honestly who is this team suppose to be built around? kidd or vince?? if it's vince then we should trade kidd right now while he's getting all these triple doubles... but i doubt thats the case... the truth is, we don't need a great scorer... we def don't, remember kerry kittles? the guy who helped us get to the finals twice... remember the defense he would bring? we never got rained on from 3pt land like we do now... and that enabled kidd to double team down low... when big men had the ball and get steals which turned in to fast breaks, with 3 options kittles, rj, martin THATS the diff in our offense... another thing is back door plays, we don't have those anymore... frank's lack of in-game adjusments is also killing us... maybe he should play swill at 5 and boone at 4... the funny thing is... we see triple doubles from kidd like crazy and in the game it looks like he's just coasting... carter looks worn-out during the whole game... he plays with lack of expression, like a zombie running up and down aside from his lil wrist flip...

again this is just my opinion, but aslong as the big 3 in our team is the current big 3... we'll never go far or play hard, and alwayz be medieocre.

I totally agree with almost everything you said.

Yeah Defense has always been the game. Defense brings the Nets offense. That is the bottom line.
SIC

Return to Brooklyn Nets