ImageImageImageImageImage

Very Interesting: SI Players Poll

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

S.I.C. GM
Veteran
And1: 2

Very Interesting: SI Players Poll 

Post#1 » by S.I.C. GM » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:36 pm

This is very interesting. Cant wait to hear your opinnions on this!!!

Which player gets the least out of the most talent?

Kwame Brown, Lakers C...... 17%
Tim Thomas, Clippers F...... 10%
Eddy Curry, Knicks C...... 7%
Vince Carter, Nets G...... 6% - 15 players
Darko Milicic, Grizzlies C/F...... 5%
Tracy McGrady, Rockets G...... 4%
Darius Miles, Trail Blazers SF...... 4%
Stromile Swift, Grizzlies C/F...... 3%
J.R. Smith, Nuggets SG...... 3%
Gerald Green, Timberwolves G/F...... 2%

Based on a survey of 242 NBA Players

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/115456

Interesting isnt it. You should read some of the comments on the link.
SIC
G_MoNeY
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#2 » by G_MoNeY » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:44 pm

already read it, and it's GARBAGE. 15 players out of how many? A player who averages 25/5/4 throughout his career so far, and he's an underacheiver with the likes of Kwame Brown and Darko Milicic? Riiight. I could go further, but really, is it worth it?
SLIMM07
Rookie

Post#3 » by SLIMM07 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:57 pm

It's not even worth responding to this all this does is gives more fuel to the VC haters
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#4 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:51 pm

WOW.

My basic equation is this: ACHIEVEMENT = PERFORMANCE - TALENT. If your performance exceeeds your perceived talent level, you would be "over-achieving". Conversely, if your talent is supposedly better than your performance, you would be an under-achiever.

Vince would have to be considered by far the most talented player in the league, to average 21/5/5 and be considered one of the top 5 most underachieiving players in the NBA! For players of T-Mac's and Carter's stature, they need to take this as a compliment of sorts, that their peers think THAT highly of their respective talent levels.

Green and especially Smith don't even belong on this list. They're 21 and 22 years old! Not even remotely close to their peak. Geez, I'd hate to hear what 242 players had to say about Jermaine O'neal in Portland.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
halfHAVOC
Assistant Coach
And1: 176

Post#5 » by halfHAVOC » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:56 pm

lol well tmac and carter aren't

but out of SUPERSTARS, carter could have been the next best thing to michael jordan. he should have been 10x better than kobe is now.
Stream My New Basketball Anthem "KING": https://ampl.ink/7QwkY
MaxaMillion711
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#6 » by MaxaMillion711 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:15 am

wow ecuhus1981, that is a really good point you made. I feel much better now :clap:

I think it is pretty silly that he averages 25, 5 and 5 and he is underachieving. haha and I bet those 15 players were on the Raptors, :rofl:
Adam1221
Sixth Man
And1: 397

Post#7 » by Adam1221 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:16 am

Vince deserves to be on that list.
Just speaking on overall talent he blows every other player out of the water, he could have been the next MJ yet he never got out of the 2nd round.
Birth of the Cool
Analyst
And1: 1,455

Post#8 » by Birth of the Cool » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:55 pm

it's 15 players so big whoop. Allen Iverson already said he thought VC had one of the biggest hearts in the NBA so who to believe...lol as if any of this crap matters.

Every player has flaws and VC's are magnified because he does have an immense talent and people vividly remember how he shook the NBA when he came into the league.

Could he play harder, smarter, and more consistently..of course. So could the majority of players in this league but VC gets singled out because of the negative reputation he has (some deserved and some not).

People who say he could have been the next MJ I have to assume weren't around when MJ played. It's that same thinking that had every highflyer coming out of college being called the next MJ (yeah Jerry Stackhouse..). MJ was a unique talent like Tiger Woods...there isn't another one of those coming in a very longtime...those are true one in a lifetime players. VC not living up to THAT hype is not his fault.

Ecuhus1981 is right & same with GMoney....guy is averaging 21/5/5 on 46% shooting , 37% from 3pt & 80% from FT this year and 24/5/4 for his career at 45% shooting, 38% from 3pt & 79% from FT....and this equates to getting the least of his talents ?!?!? He'd have to put up Lebron James type numbers then ?!? If anything, coming out of college I'd say VC has overachieved to what people thought he would do in the NBA.

As it sits today VC also has the highest roland rating on this team (RJ has sunk due to his recent play) but to see the vitriol against this guy for every failure with the Nets is unfair.

I scream at my tele at VC sometimes but I also see how good he is and I've always liked the 'underdog' and VC get's unfairly maligned as much as any other sports figure today and it's nice to root for that guy...
G_MoNeY
Veteran

Post#9 » by G_MoNeY » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:59 pm

very well said. Agree 100%
S.I.C. GM
Veteran
And1: 2

Post#10 » by S.I.C. GM » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:49 pm

I love you guys. You guys never disappoint me with your VC Love.

Yeah he has great stats and is one of the most talented players in the NBA, but that doesnt mean jack. The guy is is missing something. I have said it so many times - it is called competitive nature. He doesnt have it on both sides of the court. Sometimes I feel like he is just there.

I totally agree with you guys that this list has issues, but he belongs on this list. I dont like the fact he is with rookies. I dont see why you guys are upset at the players that voted him to be on this list. Many people think this. What really worries me is that you guys dont see it. The guy has underachieved his whole career. I dont think he was going to be the next jordan, but he has an opportunity to better maybe better the GOOD. If SI creates a veteran list, another 242 would probably pick him at the top. You guys are blinded by your VC love.
SIC
Pugsley_2491
Bench Warmer
And1: 3

Post#11 » by Pugsley_2491 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:13 pm

^^^ i agree with S.I.C. he just doesn't have that fire that others do like kobe, i mean we all know this. i'm one of his biggest supporters but a lot of times he just gives off that vibe as if he doesn't care on some nights. now i'm not saying that about every night because he's still a great and very talented player but he doesn't have that competitive spirit as others do. some nights he brings his A game and others he will just play more laid back and shoot 3's all day.

Return to Brooklyn Nets