Nets Trying To Trade Marcus Williams and Boon For a Vet

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

boshjonesford
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#1 » by boshjonesford » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:39 pm

The move likely will mean the end of Marcus Williams' days in New Jersey. Heading into his third year in the league, Williams has been plagued by injuries so far. He's missed parts of the last two seasons and has averaged 6.4 points and three assists in his career.

The Nets are said to be looking to package Williams and one of their other young players, such as forwards Josh Boone or Sean Williams, for a veteran. They still have eight players on their roster with two years' or less experience in the league.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... g_fro.html
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,835

Re: Nets Trying To Trade Marcus Williams and Boon For a Vet 

Post#2 » by Rich Rane » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:00 pm

Next time, highlight the text and click quote. Don't forget to link the article.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... g_fro.html

It's a day old article. Unless there's a good name we can't refuse, I don't see Marcus being packaged right now and that's the only was I see him traded. It's not as if we haven't had three PGs on this team before. I still think he could turn out to be something good and I put a good amount of his recent play to Frank's weird substitution patterns along with horrible player development and Marcus's horrible start with that injury last year.

There have been some pictures of him surfacing. He looked more in shape during that street ball game. Hopefully, the Dooling signing just motivates him a bit more.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07212008/sp ... 120813.htm
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#3 » by NetsForce » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:19 pm

I don't think trading Marcus is that big of a concern, I mean although they may struggle at times doing so both Marcus and Dooling can also fill in at shooting guard every now and then. I wouldn't be surprised to see them play together for stretches of the game...

Figuring out the big man rotation should be the first priority of Nets management right now... Although when doing that it's important not to just gift wrap a big to another team for nothing of value in return.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,745

Post#4 » by shrink » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:29 pm

Don't you guys have 16 players on the roster with guaranteed contracts now (said the guy from MIN, looking for a back-up PG)?

MIN doesn't have a lot of trade components, particularly veterans. They do carry a $1.4 TPE that could cover either guy, and an expiring contract of vet Calvin Booth who would salary-match any of those three, if the goal comes down to finances. I suppose MIN could throw in a late pick in the right package. There's also the possibility of Rashad McCants for two of them, but he's hardly a veteran.
Preludepunk27
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#5 » by Preludepunk27 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:36 pm

I don't want Calvin in anyway and we have 3 picks in the next 2 years that all have the potential to be lottery picks (if Dallas falls apart) so I don't see us wanting picks. Personally the only guy on the T-Wolves I'd care about is Ryan Gomes. I read over the weekend that he is linked to Cleveland right now but is demanding the full MLE if he can't get a deal longer than 2 years. Honestly, if you took an expiring and Marcus for a S&T of Gomes for a 2 year deal (maybe with the 3rd year team option), I'd love life. Otherwise, nobody else on the roster really wows me that could possibly be available.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#6 » by NetsForce » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:15 pm

I don't know about gomes Prelude I've always seen him as a tweener, the Nets could do worse but if the Nets were going to do your trade I would trade:

Stromile Swift for Gomes (2 years MLE, a possible 3rd year team option)
And then Marcus Williams for the T'Wolves TPE
Preludepunk27
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Preludepunk27 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:20 pm

^^ exactly why I want him. He can play the 3, and can play the 4 if we ever need him to. There are 3 tweeners that I've always liked. Gomes and Hakeem Warrick. I'd love life if we were ever able to get a hold of either of them. Long shot I know but I think it'd be a solid pick up for us.
shrink
RealGM

Post#8 » by shrink » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:05 pm

It would be very difficult to work out a sign-and-trade for Ryan Gomes because he'll be a base-year compensation player.

Lets say Gomes final deal starts at $4 mil, then the least NJN could give out and still salary match would be $3.12 mil. However, BYC's count as half the value of the contract to the team trading them, so the most MIN could take in would be $2.6 mil. The gap looks impossible, but if NJN uses minimum value players, they really help, because they count on the outgoing side, but not the in-coming side. NJN could sign Darrell Armstrong to a vet-min deal and trade him. NJN must give contracts between $2.4-$2.6 mil. Strangely, NJN has three contracts at $1.2 that could be paired (M Williams, Ryan Anderson, Boone), and Sean Williams + Ager fits in the $2.4-$2.6 range too.

I think we can instantly throw out the Sean Williams deal, since he doesn't have enough value to justify MIN spending two years worth of salary on Williams, Ager and one of Armstrong .. (instead of just signing Gomes for two years, or passing on him entirely and getting immediate cap relief. Of course, NJN could include up to $3 mil in cash.

Marcus Williams + Josh Boone may have the value though to justify eating Armstrong, and giving up the cap space or Gomes himself. Financially, a deal works like this:

NJ OUT: $3,186,157 Marcus Williams (1,262,520) + Josh Boone (1,212,120) + Armstrong (1,262,275)
NJ IN: $4,000,000 Ryan Gomes
$3,736,915 * 1.25 + $100,00 = $4,771,144 ... meets CBA salary matching requirements

MIN OUT: $2,000,000 Ryan Gomes
MIN IN: $2,474,640 Marcus Williams (1,262,520) + Josh Boone (1,212,120) + Armstrong (0)

$2,000,000 * 1.25 + $100,000 = $2,600,000 ... meets CBA salary matching requirements

NET COST TO MIN TO TRADE: $7,870,728....$3,736,915 (2008) + $4,133,813 (2009) + ? ($0) 2010 qualifying offers
NET COST TO MIN TO SIGN GOMES: $8,400,000 .... $4,000,000 (2008) + $4,400,000 (2009)
NET COST TO MIN TO NOT MATCH: $0

NET COST TO NJN TO TRADE: $529,272.... $263,085 (2008) + $266,187 (2009)
....assumes Armstrong signed for 1 year at vet min

A deal like this would help get your roster size down to managable level, and avoid you having to buy out a guatanteed contract. MIN actually has the roster room .. this would take them to 13, and would perhaps sign a third string PG from the Summer League and be done. MIN could agree to release Armstong so he could come back to the Nets before the season began. However, I don't know if the value is there for either team. MIN is becoming strangely crowded with big men with Love, Al Jefferson, and Craig Smith all deserving some minutes at PF, and Collins, Booth and Madsen, as well as Jefferson, are available at center, so they probably don't value Boone as they might have last year. Williams is a good fit, and Armstrong would probably need to be bought out, so he'd be happier back with you guys. Gomes was arguably the wolves second best player last year after Al, and the fans might not be too happy with the deal. For your team, you might still have hopes for Marcus williams and Josh Boone, and might question whether Gomes is the real deal. I could see both sides saying no.

I'd also add that the narrow BYC landing strip can be enlarged if the deal is expanded. MIN really has only two pieces they would probably add at this point, and that's McCants or Madsen, or both. The numbers for that work out to be:

Gomes + McCants + Madsen package would be $9.25 ($7.25 going out). The target range there becomes $7.32 to $9.16.

Gomes + McCants or Madsen ($5.216 to $5.875).
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#9 » by NashtyNas » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:07 pm

Armstrong cant be traded if he were signed for another 2 months. A trade restriction states that FA's signed cannot be traded until 2 months after the signing date. So this deal isn't going to happen.
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#10 » by big3_8_19_21 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:40 pm

...ever hear of a sign and trade? Because...Gomes would ALSO be a sign and trade in that deal. Armstrong is the Nets FA, so yes, that deal CAN be made.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
shrink
RealGM

Post#11 » by shrink » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:04 pm

sd1306 wrote:Armstrong cant be traded if he were signed for another 2 months. A trade restriction states that FA's signed cannot be traded until 2 months after the signing date. So this deal isn't going to happen.

I believe you have 48 hours to make the S&T before the 2 month restriction sets in.

Larry Coon wrote: Under the sign-and-trade rule, the player is re-signed and immediately traded to another team. This is done by adding a clause to the contract which stipulates that the contract is invalid if the player's rights are not traded to the specific team within 48 hours.
Preludepunk27
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Preludepunk27 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:10 pm

sd1306 wrote:Armstrong cant be traded if he were signed for another 2 months. A trade restriction states that FA's signed cannot be traded until 2 months after the signing date. So this deal isn't going to happen.

I think that one you're talking about is if we just signed a random guy that wasn't on our roster last year. Like if we signed Matt Barnes or something then tried to put him in a deal.

If your comment was true then a sign-and-trade would never be possible which would have made Keyon Dooling's deal to us invalid.

Return to Brooklyn Nets