ImageImageImage

Game Thread/Post Game: Leafs @ Islanders APRIL 5th @7:30 RSN

Moderator: Crowned

WHAT_DA
Lead Assistant
And1: 30

Post#81 » by WHAT_DA » Fri Apr 6, 2007 2:52 am

Crowned wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I think this is another case of someone looking at the score, rather than watching how the goals went in.

Which goals exactly were Raycroft's fault, if you don't mind me asking. Mike Sillinger's goal, where he rotated infront of the net untouched, and one timed it from 5 feet out? How about Jason Blake's goal where he skated around the Leafs zone, also untouched...and let a shot go through traffic, which looked as if the puck was deflected. How about Aaron Asham's goal, the one where nobody decided to backcheck, while Asham unloaded an absolute bullet in the top corner?

Again, the goals were his fault? Hardly. They were all difficult goals, and shouldn't have happened in the first place. You're making it seem like he let in soft, fluky goals.

On the Blake goal Raycroft, as he always does, went down without seeing the puck and paid for it. The Asham goal featured the same error. If this was a one time thing id forgive him, but this happens once a game.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#82 » by Crowned » Fri Apr 6, 2007 3:00 am

WHAT_DA wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

On the Blake goal Raycroft, as he always does, went down without seeing the puck and paid for it. The Asham goal featured the same error. If this was a one time thing id forgive him, but this happens once a game.

When goaltenders are screened on a shot, and cannot see...they go down into the butterfly. He did nothing wrong.
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,624

Post#83 » by Mak » Fri Apr 6, 2007 3:11 am

So let me get this right...if Islanders win their next two games Leafs can't make it regardless?

They might win on Saturday but if Islanders win earlier that day and on Sunday then Islanders are in?

Basically they have to win tomorrow night in the regulation and hope that Islanders win one of their last two? I'm sure Islanders will beat Philly and NJ clinched playoff spot so they have nothing to play for.
GQStylin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#84 » by GQStylin » Fri Apr 6, 2007 3:13 am

Mak wrote:So let me get this right...if Islanders win their next two games Leafs can't make it regardless?

They might win on Saturday but if Islanders win earlier that day and on Sunday then Islanders are in?

Basically they have to win tomorrow night in the regulation and hope that Islanders win one of their last two? I'm sure Islanders will beat Philly and NJ clinched playoff spot so they have nothing to play for.

If the Isles they win both of their games and Habs lose - Isles are in.

If Leafs win against Habs and Isles win both of their games - Isles are in.

If Habs win against Leafs - Habs are in.
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#85 » by Snayr » Fri Apr 6, 2007 3:34 am

GQStylin wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If the Isles they win both of their games and Habs lose - Isles are in.

If Leafs win against Habs and Isles win both of their games - Isles are in.

If Habs win against Leafs - Habs are in.

Makes for an exciting finish eh! :P
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
WHAT_DA
Lead Assistant

Post#86 » by WHAT_DA » Fri Apr 6, 2007 4:32 am

When goaltenders are screened on a shot, and cannot see...they go down into the butterfly. He did nothing wrong.

Hard to agree when the puck ended up in the net. And the blake shot was not a bad screen or a great shot. That should be stopped ten times out of ten.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#87 » by Crowned » Fri Apr 6, 2007 4:42 am

WHAT_DA wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Hard to agree when the puck ended up in the net. And the blake shot was not a bad screen or a great shot. That should be stopped ten times out of ten.

Hard to agree about what? When a goaltender is screened on a shot, or when a player is about to take a shot, they go into the butterfly...and try to cover up as much as the net as possible. That's the way it is, you can't blame a goaltender for doing what they're taught. Look at any screened shot, the goaltender is down 9 times out of 10. The Blake shot was a bad screen, there were a couple players infront of Raycroft from what I remember. Regardless, the shot shouldn't have occured in the first place...that had to be one of the worst defensive mishaps by the Leafs in a long time. Usually an individual player is blamed on a goal, but when the entire team is out of position, it's frustrating.
TiMacMania
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#88 » by TiMacMania » Fri Apr 6, 2007 4:44 am

habs are in if they win

thats it
The-Insider
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#89 » by The-Insider » Fri Apr 6, 2007 4:48 am

Poor Andy. In fifteen games, he has allowed one or less goals, and in 34 two or less. He's been a huge let down for the Leafs this season...
GQStylin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#90 » by GQStylin » Fri Apr 6, 2007 5:25 am

The-Insider wrote:Poor Andy. In fifteen games, he has allowed one or less goals, and in 34 two or less. He's been a huge let down for the Leafs this season...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that the majority of Razor's wins came when he's faced 30 shots or less. IE the players in front of him are playing pretty well. When the Leafs have allowed 30+ shots he hasn't won too many. I could be wrong, but that's how I remember it after watching most the seaon.

Also, don't you find it weird that while Razor is ranked 7th in the league in wins, he's not even in the top 30 when it comes to GAA and save %? In fact, Tim Thomas is the only goalie in the whole league to have 30 wins and be ranked lower than Razor in GAA, yet even he is somehow able to muster a .901 save percentage compared to Razor's .895.

Kari Lehtonen with a horrid Alanta defense in front of him, having a couple of less starts than Razor yet facing at least 150 shots more than Andy still manages to have a better GAA and save %.

So yeah, as much as I want Andrew to have done well, he has been a letdown for the Leafs this year sad to say.
Raps_Swingman
Analyst
And1: 211

Post#91 » by Raps_Swingman » Fri Apr 6, 2007 6:09 am

Im not a Raycroft supporter, but Im not a Raycroft hater. The Leafs have long been blessed with goalies ready to take on 30+ shots a night. From Felix to Cujo to Eddie, the Leafs had great goaltending. All of the goals tonight I dont fault Raycroft. They need to tighten up and block some shots, no Leaf d-man seems to be willing to do that.
That's what she said.
The-Insider
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#92 » by The-Insider » Fri Apr 6, 2007 6:33 am

GQStylin wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that the majority of Razor's wins came when he's faced 30 shots or less. IE the players in front of him are playing pretty well. When the Leafs have allowed 30+ shots he hasn't won too many. I could be wrong, but that's how I remember it after watching most the seaon.

Also, don't you find it weird that while Razor is ranked 7th in the league in wins, he's not even in the top 30 when it comes to GAA and save %? In fact, Tim Thomas is the only goalie in the whole league to have 30 wins and be ranked lower than Razor in GAA, yet even he is somehow able to muster a .901 save percentage compared to Razor's .895.

Kari Lehtonen with a horrid Alanta defense in front of him, having a couple of less starts than Razor yet facing at least 150 shots more than Andy still manages to have a better GAA and save %.

So yeah, as much as I want Andrew to have done well, he has been a letdown for the Leafs this year sad to say.

Raycroft has played way more games than anyone else who has similar stats (GAA/SV%). The leafs depend on raycroft for BIG saves more often than any of the playoff teams. Is that mentioned in your stats? Or how about the countless odd-man rushes? But all the stats, not some but all, say that he's playing really poorly. His record isn't very good, his save percentage is awful and his GAA isn't very good.

Where these discussions, for me, have found any real traction is when we look a little deeper into his stats and the contributing factor. How bad defensively are the Leafs? What's the impact of all the penalties that the Leafs take?

Arguing the numbers is pointless, they all point one way.

He's going to make mistakes - he's young. I just don't think he is the fall guy for this team, and he is not the reason why we will or will not make the playoffs. Its def. arguable that when the Leafs get better Raycroft will get better. I am not giving up on him after one season and neither should you.
Amped
Starter
And1: 49

Post#93 » by Amped » Fri Apr 6, 2007 12:46 pm

Leafs had such a poor effort coming into the biggest period of the game. They are so lucky that the Habs lost.

Leafs need to beat the Habs IN REGULATION (yes, this is scary. They are going to have to pull there goalie even if the score is tied) and the Islanders need to lose 1 out of the 2 remaining games.

But man, after this, I don't even think the Leafs deserve a playoff spot. They are not showing it. They need to play some **** defense!!!
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,764

Post#94 » by spykelee » Fri Apr 6, 2007 3:08 pm

Hello leaf thread... Well I don't like you and you don't like me, and that's fine, I wouldn't have it any other way personally.

So it's down to saturday night. Just as I suspected it would be. Leafs VS Habs. The winners are off to the playoffs and the leafs will continue to flounder just missing the playoffs. It's gonna be crazy. I don't know the exact #'s, but these teams almost always tie whenever they play each other. But ****, no matter what happens, the **** isles better not get in because the islanders suck and nobody anywhere gives a crap about them. Anyways, just wanted to let all you ombre's now that I'll be here win, lose or draw to talk smack or take my lumps, whichever it may be. Goodluck leaf fans. I'll let you guys know how the playoffs are. 8)
RapsVC15
RealGM
And1: 424

Post#95 » by RapsVC15 » Fri Apr 6, 2007 3:30 pm

spykelee wrote:Hello leaf thread... Well I don't like you and you don't like me, and that's fine, I wouldn't have it any other way personally.

So it's down to saturday night. Just as I suspected it would be. Leafs VS Habs. The winners are off to the playoffs and the leafs will continue to flounder just missing the playoffs. It's gonna be crazy. I don't know the exact #'s, but these teams almost always tie whenever they play each other. But ****, no matter what happens, the **** isles better not get in because the islanders suck and nobody anywhere gives a crap about them. Anyways, just wanted to let all you ombre's now that I'll be here win, lose or draw to talk smack or take my lumps, whichever it may be. Goodluck leaf fans. I'll let you guys know how the playoffs are. 8)

I'd be shocked if the Habs won. They've been downright horrible on the road.
WHAT_DA
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by WHAT_DA » Sat Apr 7, 2007 4:37 am

Hard to agree about what? When a goaltender is screened on a shot, or when a player is about to take a shot, they go into the butterfly...and try to cover up as much as the net as possible. That's the way it is, you can't blame a goaltender for doing what they're taught. Look at any screened shot, the goaltender is down 9 times out of 10. The Blake shot was a bad screen, there were a couple players infront of Raycroft from what I remember. Regardless, the shot shouldn't have occured in the first place...that had to be one of the worst defensive mishaps by the Leafs in a long time. Usually an individual player is blamed on a goal, but when the entire team is out of position, it's frustrating.

I agree that the shot shouldn't have taken place. Blake danced around the offensive zone like he had SARS but I believe that Raycroft needs to step up in a case like that. The shot was stoppable and it frustrates me that Raycroft can't step in such a crucial moment and show his team that he has their back. The way I see it, if he can't make that save now, he won't be able to make it in the playoffs and the leafs shouldn't even bother getting in if that's the case.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs