ImageImageImage

Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd

Moderator: Crowned

Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,942

Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd 

Post#1 » by Ado05 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:31 pm

Dont really know what to make out of this deal. Frattin has shown some glimpes of being a nice top 6. But he hasnt been able to consitently do it in the NHL. Scrivens is a non-factor in this trade. Means nothing that the Leafs lost him, imo. The 2nd can either be in 2014 or 2015.

Bernier has a high upside. Should be nice to see the competition between him and Reimer.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 22,013

Re: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd 

Post#2 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:49 pm

Pricey for someone who hasn't really proved much. I think we were trying to compete with Philly, and they overpay for everything. Maybe Reimer gets moved now?
TR50
General Manager
And1: 1,211

Post#3 » by TR50 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:49 pm

Apparently the Leafs are interested in Sam Gagner too. I would assume if anything materializes there, we would be sending a D-man back.
kavan
General Manager
And1: 89

Post#4 » by kavan » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:56 pm

I think he can challenge for the starting spot lastly if all else fails having one another make each other better is the way to go. I think We got some good quality back we did give up quiet a bit. It will have to be a wait and see approach. After the Bruins series I think Riemer proved himself to be worthy for the most part.
Raptors, Leafs, Jays. #Toronto
kavan
General Manager
And1: 89

Post#5 » by kavan » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:57 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Pricey for someone who hasn't really proved much. I think we were trying to compete with Philly, and they overpay for everything. Maybe Reimer gets moved now?

I could see Riemer getting moved but we dont really have a "back up" then. Would be nice to add another top 6 forward.
Raptors, Leafs, Jays. #Toronto
Ducksplatt
Sixth Man
And1: 622

Post#6 » by Ducksplatt » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:47 am

Great trade for a hub upside player. Scribe a was good but I don't know if be was ever seen as a future #1. Gratin does not play the Carlisle way for top or bottom 6. Good trade to maybe land a future star.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe
- Albert Einstein
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,525
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#7 » by SharoneWright » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:01 am

Yup, basically Frattin and a 2nd for Bernier - who's only 24 with loads of potential.

Great deal for The Buds, as Frattin will be OK but not irreplaceable. You can find forwards.

(That said, in the salary-cap era,, running with Reimer and Scrivens was a huge advantage - money could be used elsewhere after settling with Reimer -quite decent- in the nets. I do think Bernier is a bit of any upgrade, but it might affect what else the Leafs are able to do.)
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#8 » by YogiStewart » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:56 am

kavan wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:Pricey for someone who hasn't really proved much. I think we were trying to compete with Philly, and they overpay for everything. Maybe Reimer gets moved now?

I could see Riemer getting moved but we dont really have a "back up" then. Would be nice to add another top 6 forward.

how many teams need a goalie? just Phila, if I recall.

weird trade. if Bernier is a future star (debatable), you're looking at a GAA difference of 0.5. how many more games does that win you?
meanwhile, the Leafs are awfully thin on talent up front. i really dug Frattin, but it was clear that Carlyle didn't

SharoneWright wrote:
(That said, in the salary-cap era,, running with Reimer and Scrivens was a huge advantage - money could be used elsewhere after settling with Reimer -quite decent- in the nets. I do think Bernier is a bit of any upgrade, but it might affect what else the Leafs are able to do.)

depends what Nonnis does. if it was Burke, you'd see a stupid contract being offered immediately. Nonnis can try to lock him in for 5 years, which can be a big risk. the talk is that Bernier should get Reimer #s. if you're looking at $10 mil/5 years, that isn't bad at all or a huge cap hit. go above that by a lot? like, $3 mil/year? and if he ends up being Justin Pogge v2.0? yikes.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#9 » by whysoserious » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:19 pm

I like this deal, wanted Bernier here the past few years as a goalie to build around. If you're going to build a young core, Bernier's the kind of goalie with potential you want. Reimer's been okay but sounds like from everything we're hearing, Nonis is ready to shake things up.

Rumour has it that Phaneuf is on the block - would be a good addition for Edmonton even if he is overpaid currently. They also said Lupul and JVR may be in play. There's a lot of moving parts right now, seems like the Leafs are looking to make a big splash. Maybe none of it comes to fruition but who knows at this point.
JDP
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#10 » by JDP » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:16 am

I personally like the deal we gave up a career back up, a third liner, and a second round pick for a possible franchise goaltender.

I am a big fan of Reimer but I do believe this competition will be the best for the team in that the best goalie will rise to the occasion and grab the job.

Frattin is the type of player who will play awesome in the playoffs but I think there is minimal risk on this trade.
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,820

Post#11 » by RoyceDa59 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:44 pm

Frattin is replaceable, Bernier has the potential to be the cornerstone netminder for the franchise for the next decade.

No brainer. Bernier has big upside.
Go Raps!!
jensan
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#12 » by jensan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:31 pm

Bernier requires a D man. Grabovski and a named player (D man) for Byfuglien. Winnipeg dont have a reasonably aged Center to replace Antripov, and Olli Jokinen is 34. Perfect Fit and in turn receive a fixture on Defense who can score.

Open for discussions, could allow the trade of Phaneuf for a Quality Center men or even better a package including a top 10 first round pick
TR50
General Manager
And1: 1,211

Post#13 » by TR50 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:46 pm

Figured this would be the best place to put this...but Komisarek likely to be bought out. Another no brainer.

This could just be the offseason thread.
Mohanad
Pro Prospect
And1: 698

Post#14 » by Mohanad » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:00 pm

You guys will love Bernier. Dude was a high pick, expected to start immediately, and instead had to pay his dues, then watch Quick develop into a great goalie. Didn't bitch about it, just kept working, and supporting the team as best he could.

Looked very good this year when Quick was struggling, the Kings would have likely missed the playoffs without him. I think with the responsibility of being a #1, his numbers will improve.

He's always square to the shooter, very technically sound, a calm goalie. Not the greatest in shootouts thus far, but beyond that, I really think we are set in goal now.
Mohanad
Pro Prospect
And1: 698

Post#15 » by Mohanad » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:08 pm

YogiStewart wrote:
kavan wrote:

how many teams need a goalie? just Phila, if I recall.

weird trade. if Bernier is a future star (debatable), you're looking at a GAA difference of 0.5. how many more games does that win you?
meanwhile, the Leafs are awfully thin on talent up front. i really dug Frattin, but it was clear that Carlyle didn't

SharoneWright wrote:

depends what Nonnis does. if it was Burke, you'd see a stupid contract being offered immediately. Nonnis can try to lock him in for 5 years, which can be a big risk. the talk is that Bernier should get Reimer #s. if you're looking at $10 mil/5 years, that isn't bad at all or a huge cap hit. go above that by a lot? like, $3 mil/year? and if he ends up being Justin Pogge v2.0? yikes.

5 teams were actively after him and we got him for a very fair price

Frattin is 25 and played the majority of his career with the Marlies. His career numbers with the Leafs are

82GP
15G
13A
28PTS

He netted 7 goals in 25 games last year with the big club. He is a very replaceable winger. Not to mention Scrivens will not see a consistent starting position in goal anytime soon or/if ever. There's a reason why you had to throw the second in there.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,331

Post#16 » by G R E Y » Sun Jul 7, 2013 5:22 pm

I like the trade as it strengthens our G position, but the only drawback is that Reimer felt a bit disrespected by it, feeling he had done enough to solidify the #1 position and Bernier wanted out because he wants a #1 position. They'll challenge each other, so that's good, but one guy feels the team doesn't really have his back, so that's a question mark.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs