Leafs off-season thread

Moderator: Crowned

SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,525
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Re: Leafs off-season thread 

Post#61 » by SharoneWright » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:01 am

YogiStewart wrote:Gunnarson re-signed for 3 years/$9.45 mil.
good deal.

I agree. It's funny, though, that after a good year last year many now project Cody Franson to get even more than Gunner. Could be a little tricky to fit both Franson and Kadri under the cap... Might need to entertain a trade to reduce the payroll,,, JMLiles anyone??
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,942

Post#62 » by Ado05 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:53 am

He's got a NTC, which I think limits Nonis and the Leafs to 11 teams. Hopefully we can trade him.

Wouldnt mind trading Franson, tbh. He's probably demanding a big contract and really, he's only played well for like a half a season in the NHL.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#63 » by YogiStewart » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:11 am

SharoneWright wrote:
YogiStewart wrote:Gunnarson re-signed for 3 years/$9.45 mil.
good deal.

I agree. It's funny, though, that after a good year last year many now project Cody Franson to get even more than Gunner. Could be a little tricky to fit both Franson and Kadri under the cap... Might need to entertain a trade to reduce the payroll,,, JMLiles anyone??

i've been talking about the lack of cap room for months.

Liles is virtually untradeable. no one has cap room this year. who would want an underperforming, highly paid D-man? maybe the Oilers...maybe.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bradyfan590/status/360079653714665472[/tweet]

plus Ranger at $1 mil. hrm. Holzer, i assume, will be with the Marlies, but Franzen makes 7 and Fraser, who I assume they'll sign, makes 8. and this assures that Rielly has zero shot at the big club

Phaneuf must be on the block. There's no other explanation
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 22,012

Post#64 » by ATLTimekeeper » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:49 pm

Well, Ranger hasn't played in the league in four years. I'm sure he's more of a back-up plan if they can't sign Franson.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#65 » by YogiStewart » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:55 am

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Well, Ranger hasn't played in the league in four years. I'm sure he's more of a back-up plan if they can't sign Franson.

Franson's a RFA. teams don't lose RFAs unless they want to lose them. so assume he is signed.

and a $1 mil contract for a back-up plan? that is on the verge of crappy cap management (to be fair, it is $350 000 above what back-up plans should get, but there is a consistent theme of the Leafs overpaying)
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#66 » by ATLTimekeeper » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:24 am

YogiStewart wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:Well, Ranger hasn't played in the league in four years. I'm sure he's more of a back-up plan if they can't sign Franson.

Franson's a RFA. teams don't lose RFAs unless they want to lose them. so assume he is signed.

and a $1 mil contract for a back-up plan? that is on the verge of crappy cap management (to be fair, it is $350 000 above what back-up plans should get, but there is a consistent theme of the Leafs overpaying)

Well, it's speculation on my part. $1 million for a guy who could conceivably play top 4 minutes (that's what he was when he left the league) is a bargain. For $650, 000 you're getting someone who has little to no experience, for one year, the Leafs take a flier on a guy that was a damn good player in his day.

Franson could be S&T'd if they don't want to commit to him for big money, or they could walk away from an arbitration hearing if it was too rich.

Right now the Leafs D corps looks pretty solid.

Phaneuf/Gunnerson
Gardiner/Franson
Ranger/Liles

If they lose Franson (and say, only get picks in return) they could bump Ranger/Liles into the top 4 and either re-sign Fraser or give Peter Granberg a shot. They'd be a lot weaker, but for a year they can tread water while they wait for Reilly.
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#67 » by vini_vidi_vici » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:23 am

Franson will be SnT. Another board is speculating hes asking 4mil+.

Phaneuf/Gunnar
Gards/Ranger
Liles/???

Let go Fraser, Holzer/Reilly/Brennan/etc.. compete for the final spot. The issue will be RH shooters (0 of those listed above), and size down low. Ideally you would like to move Liles, and keep Franson (im assuming its hard/negative value). But keep spots open down the line for young players like Granberg/Percy/Finn/etc.. is good too. Also id like to move Phaneuf despite the fact I acknowledge hes a really good player, its the $$$, I just dont think thats a possibility.

I agree with their horrible cap management tho. But I think the Ranger deal will go down as the best deal of the season. I loved his game with the Marlboros last year, and like ATL said he was a really good D prior to leaving the NHL. He only wanted to sign with T.O thus the generous deal.

Darren Dreger wrote:Oilers remain keenly interested in D-man Paul Ranger. Ranger loved playing for Dallas Eakins and Eakins is a huge fan of Ranger....

If Ranger decides to return to the NHL and thats a big IF, Edmonton will be high among the 20+ teams interested because of the Eakins hire.

20+ teams interested and signs for 1 million.
iDRTG is terrible. ** Paid for by Pfizer Inc.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#68 » by Crowned » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:34 pm

I couldn't see Ranger back in the NHL unless it was with Toronto (his choice). This is a good signing, without a doubt. He would've been in the NHL last year, if he were ready. The Leafs gave him the choice, and he declined. You have to remember, Ranger was a sought after defenseman before he 'retired' or left the NHL. There was a time that Philly offered Giroux for him, and Tampa declined. He was logging heavy minutes, and was one of Tampa's best blueliners. I'm not expecting similar results, but he's better than Fraser, and is going to be a good depth signing, and may sneak up the depth charts as the season progresses.
Ado05
RealGM

Post#69 » by Ado05 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:42 pm

Fraser asking for 2 mill. No thanks buddy. Especially since we have Ranger and Brennan now.
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#70 » by SharoneWright » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:37 am

Adrian_05 wrote:Fraser asking for 2 mill. No thanks buddy. Especially since we have Ranger and Brennan now.

Interesting. I've read with the new CBA, the Leaf's must accept the arbitor's ruling one way or the other. Leafs low-balling with 855,000-
Ado05
RealGM

Post#71 » by Ado05 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:27 pm

Yeah, I also read that. It really screws us, especially if he does get the 2 mill.
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#72 » by SharoneWright » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:24 pm

Adrian_05 wrote:Yeah, I also read that. It really screws us, especially if he does get the 2 mill.

The arbitration process can produce a number in the middle, so that's a little better. It's very unlikely he'll get the full 2M imho.

2 options I guess, supposing he gets something in between - say 1.4 Mil.

1)Trade him and clear cap space -- also clears a path for Reilly, Blacker, etc..

2)Bury him in the minors and get 925K credit back toward your cap - ends up costing about a half MIL against the cap.

Side note - I find it funny that the Leafs can not simply let a player walk. They must offer him arbitration and then must accept the ruling. He automatically takes a roster spot and part of the cap. Here's a guy who broke down a bit in the playoffs and also suffered a pretty big injury (head) -- now, if the Leafs have re-evaluated his value to the team, it turns out that he could actually become a negative asset, even though he doesn't even have a contract!

edit: it appears the Leafs put themselves on the hook for Fraser when they QO'd him. Might be something they now regret...
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#73 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:03 pm

Nonis ****ed himself over. I have a hard time defending some of his moves, he seems to be a bit sloppy. Losing Franson could be a significant screw up, especially if there's money going to Fraser and Brennan (and Holzer, going back to last year's questionable extension).

Not that I think Franson is awesome, but I'd rather have him @ $4 for the next four years than Phaneuf at 6.5 and possibly climbing going into next season at some absurd term. The bold move would be to try and find a new home for Dion and save that dough for Gardiner's eventual extension (which will be painfully rich, I imagine).
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#74 » by vini_vidi_vici » Sat Aug 3, 2013 6:37 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Nonis ****ed himself over. I have a hard time defending some of his moves, he seems to be a bit sloppy. Losing Franson could be a significant screw up, especially if there's money going to Fraser and Brennan (and Holzer, going back to last year's questionable extension).

Not that I think Franson is awesome, but I'd rather have him @ $4 for the next four years than Phaneuf at 6.5 and possibly climbing going into next season at some absurd term. The bold move would be to try and find a new home for Dion and save that dough for Gardiner's eventual extension (which will be painfully rich, I imagine).

I agree and not too mention the overpayments on Clarkson/Bozie.

I just dont understand why he would do all that without Dion (who like some here, id like to see moved, despite being a capable #1D) and Kessel locked up.

Next year UFAs. Kessel/Kule/Bolland/McClement/Phaneuf/Frasor/Ranger. RFAs Gards/Reims/Colbourne.

Im really concerned about sustainability should this team achieve any success.
iDRTG is terrible. ** Paid for by Pfizer Inc.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs