ImageImageImage

Leafs off-season thread

Moderator: Crowned

JDP
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: Leafs off-season thread 

Post#21 » by JDP » Fri Jul 5, 2013 12:09 am

YogiStewart wrote:could be worse. you could be a fan of the Flyers and have your team pay your top player Crosby money.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426936

pretty much at the cap and they don't have a back-up goalie yet.

We are going to have to pay Kessel Crosby type money very soon. At least the Flyers always seem to land top players although Homer still hasn't played down that whole trading Richards and Carter for Bryzgalof mess. Imagine still having Giroux, Richards, Carter, JVR and Bobrovsky looking back on it now how does Holmgren still have a job?
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,942

Post#22 » by Ado05 » Fri Jul 5, 2013 1:50 am

YogiStewart wrote:could be worse. you could be a fan of the Flyers and have your team pay your top player Crosby money.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426936

pretty much at the cap and they don't have a back-up goalie yet.

They're fine. Pronger will go on the LTIR and his 5 mill cap hit will come off the books. They still have plenty of space.
Ado05
RealGM

Post#23 » by Ado05 » Fri Jul 5, 2013 1:53 am

JDP wrote:Been reading that Clarkson wants 6 million per I wouldn't touch him with a 20 foot pole for that type of money.

He is probably worth around 3 million but will definitely find a team to overpay him hopefully the Leafs stay away.

I would be okay with 4 mill a year though.

Yeah, i'd be fine with 4-4.5 mill. Hopefully he takes a hometown discount.

Same thing with Weiss. Actually, I'd probably go up to 5 for him.

And if we bought out Grabo to have more space for Bozak, jeezus. :nonono:
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#24 » by whysoserious » Fri Jul 5, 2013 12:23 pm

JDP wrote:We are going to have to pay Kessel Crosby type money very soon. At least the Flyers always seem to land top players although Homer still hasn't played down that whole trading Richards and Carter for Bryzgalof mess. Imagine still having Giroux, Richards, Carter, JVR and Bobrovsky looking back on it now how does Holmgren still have a job?

If it's gonna take Crosby type money to keep Kessel, then just trade him or let him walk and spend the money somewhere else. It's just not worth overpaying guys. The NHL has a hard cap, you can't afford mistakes like that. Same thing with Bozak at 5 million or Clarkson at 6 million, you just can't do that. It's already recently bit them by having to buyout Grabo.
JDP
Sophomore

Post#25 » by JDP » Fri Jul 5, 2013 12:38 pm

whysoserious wrote:
JDP wrote:We are going to have to pay Kessel Crosby type money very soon. At least the Flyers always seem to land top players although Homer still hasn't played down that whole trading Richards and Carter for Bryzgalof mess. Imagine still having Giroux, Richards, Carter, JVR and Bobrovsky looking back on it now how does Holmgren still have a job?

If it's gonna take Crosby type money to keep Kessel, then just trade him or let him walk and spend the money somewhere else. It's just not worth overpaying guys. The NHL has a hard cap, you can't afford mistakes like that. Same thing with Bozak at 5 million or Clarkson at 6 million, you just can't do that. It's already recently bit them by having to buyout Grabo.

Kessel is definitely worth around 8 million for around 8 or 7 years an Elite offensive player like him isn't going to fall into your lap any time soon. Can't even begin to think what I would trade the guy for considering what the team gave up to get him on that team extend him and extend him quick.

In a perfect world he takes around 7-7.5 but id have no problem with the team giving him 8 x 8 the guy is the real deal better to pay him than hope to overpay free agent bums like David Clarkson.

One of the top priorities for this team should be making Phill the Thrill a leaf for life this summer.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#26 » by whysoserious » Fri Jul 5, 2013 1:16 pm

JDP wrote:Kessel is definitely worth around 8 million for around 8 or 7 years an Elite offensive player like him isn't going to fall into your lap any time soon. Can't even begin to think what I would trade the guy for considering what the team gave up to get him on that team extend him and extend him quick.

In a perfect world he takes around 7-7.5 but id have no problem with the team giving him 8 x 8 the guy is the real deal better to pay him than hope to overpay free agent bums like David Clarkson.

One of the top priorities for this team should be making Phill the Thrill a leaf for life this summer.

Phil is a top line forward, but he's not a leader, not a game changer, still goes through big slumps. He is not worth 8 million per year. That kind of money should be reserved for the true elite players of the game. It's the nature of the business and with the cap and free agency that guys get overpaid like that, but as an organization you have to be smart.

This team is still not good enough, you don't pay about 13 million for Kessel/Lupul and still have no true first line center. You need to be smart. Pay Kessel about 6 million and you're getting value, pay him more and you're starting to get in to area's where you're killing your own ability to build a truly elite team. Too many fans get attached to guys thinking they are better than they really are. If we paid Bozak even 4 million, that's like 17 million tied up with Bozak, Kessel, Lupul. That is just simply ugly cap management.
JDP
Sophomore

Post#27 » by JDP » Fri Jul 5, 2013 2:02 pm

Better look to trade Kessel now then because there is no way he signs for 6 million anywhere.

The guy scores 30 goals a season with ease and has been top 10 in scoring the last 2 years at almost a point per game. Id hope he takes around 7-7.5 a season to stay but the Leafs absolutely have to re-up him as soon as possible even if it is at 8 million the cap is going to go up over the next few years. This is the leafs not Nashville no use operating like a small market team, MLSE has tons of money and they should pay their best players.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#28 » by whysoserious » Fri Jul 5, 2013 3:26 pm

JDP wrote:Better look to trade Kessel now then because there is no way he signs for 6 million anywhere.

The guy scores 30 goals a season with ease and has been top 10 in scoring the last 2 years at almost a point per game. Id hope he takes around 7-7.5 a season to stay but the Leafs absolutely have to re-up him as soon as possible even if it is at 8 million the cap is going to go up over the next few years. This is the leafs not Nashville no use operating like a small market team, MLSE has tons of money and they should pay their best players.

Paying your best players elite level money when they aren't elite level players is a huge mistake though. Listen, I'm not disputing Kessel is a good player. But he is still not a difference maker and a leader and thus you can't pay him that kind of money. Sure he'll get 8 million on the open market, heck he may get more than 6 right now from the Leafs, but that doesn't mean it's good management.

Paying a 30 goal scorer (and i know he can be a 40 goal scorer, especially with the right center) 8 million is how you end up paying the Bozaks of the world on your team 5 million, it's a trickle down effect.
Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Post#29 » by Brew666 » Fri Jul 5, 2013 5:48 pm

Reports coming out Bozak re-signed 21.5/5 years. 4.3/year. I guess not horrible but too long for my liking. Horrible deals being signed today [as usual]

Clarkson signed too - 7 years as per Dreger.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#30 » by Crowned » Fri Jul 5, 2013 5:59 pm

As much as I wouldn't want to, if the Leafs can dangle Gardiner for a #1 center, this team would be well on their way.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#31 » by whysoserious » Fri Jul 5, 2013 6:15 pm

Crowned wrote:As much as I wouldn't want to, if the Leafs can dangle Gardiner for a #1 center, this team would be well on their way.

It would have to be a legit number 1 center in the prime of his career. It can't be for an over 30 center.

We basically locked up two No. 2/3 centers for almost 10 million and still don't have that legit first line center.
Ado05
RealGM

Post#32 » by Ado05 » Fri Jul 5, 2013 6:42 pm

Wtf is Nonis doing?

The Bozak deal isnt that bad. But the **** Clarkson deal? WTF!!!?!?

And Weiss going to Detroit for 4.9? Jesus. And I heard that Weiss said he never even heard from the Leafs.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#33 » by whysoserious » Fri Jul 5, 2013 6:44 pm

Adrian_05 wrote:Wtf is Nonis doing?

The Bozak deal isnt that bad. But the **** Clarkson deal? WTF!!!?!?

And Weiss going to Detroit for 4.9? Jesus. And I heard that Weiss said he never even heard from the Leafs.

Screams of Carlyle saying this is the guy I want.
Ado05
RealGM

Post#34 » by Ado05 » Fri Jul 5, 2013 7:20 pm

Jeez, we give the dude 7 years, and he still has a big cap hit. His **** home town team too. What a scumbag. Took advantage of his favourite team. :no:
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,825

Post#35 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Jul 5, 2013 8:46 pm

Is this Clarkson guy any good?
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#36 » by YogiStewart » Sat Jul 6, 2013 12:03 am

Raps in 4 wrote:Is this Clarkson guy any good?

depends who you asked.
Leafs signed him after he put up off-the-charts stats. i.e. numbers that likely can't be replicated.

the deal gave me a really good laugh. even if he's pretty good, he isn't worth those #s.
no idea what the Leafs are doing. blah blah blah they had cap space blah blah blah. they still have to sign Kadri, Bernier and Franzen. they're going to be in cap and depth hell with these two contracts. the only good news? Phaneuf's off the books in a year. can't wait to see how they blow that cap freedom.
Chevy Chase
Sixth Man
And1: 820

Post#37 » by Chevy Chase » Sat Jul 6, 2013 12:14 am

Agreed,

Good signing, but not for that money or length. Would have been better to do nothing. The only thing that I can think of is that its a two way deal so if he starts to suck in the last few years, they'll simply move him to the minors and his deal comes off the books. They can afford to pay to stash mistakes in the minors.
TheAlchemist
General Manager
And1: 8,252

Post#38 » by TheAlchemist » Sat Jul 6, 2013 12:22 am

I don't mind Clarckson, but seriously JVR put up numbers like him.

To me the top two lines are set, with Kessel and Clarckson manning the first line, putting Lupul with Kadri on the second. Round it out with Bozak and JVR, and the leafs have probably a top 5 - group of top 6 liners. Wow.

We gotta work on that defence though, and if we can sign Bernier on the cheap and get some breakout numbers from him , that'd be perfect.

The defense needs the most work though, but Gardiner is going to be the best defence man we've had in a long long time.

Burke really did a great job, too bad he was banging around or whatever the hell he did to get George Cope to hate him.
JDP
Sophomore

Post#39 » by JDP » Sat Jul 6, 2013 12:42 am

Not so mad about what went down today Bozak got a nice raise but at least not the 5 mill he was asking for. I hope this means we are going to extend Phil, wasn't the biggest fan as Bozak as the number 1 center again but id much prefer him over Weiss.

Clarkson will be a fan favourite but damn that contract is a little too long for my liking. However, the Leafs can now throw out 3 solid lines.

With Detroit and Columbus in the East should be super competitive this season and at least we can say the Leafs have build upon the team that made the playoffs last season. 7 years from now who knows.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,525
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#40 » by SharoneWright » Sat Jul 6, 2013 3:41 am

Bernier:
2/5.8M
Is anybody here a marine biologist?

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs